What are 'egg crates'?

jymmer

Hi,

Could someone please enlighten me to what are egg crates? I assume they are something to do with the beds, are they mattress toppers? Also are the beds uncomfortable with out them?

Many Thanks

Melissa

Foam toppers for the mattress. Princess beds are very firm. If you a really firm mattress then you'll be fine. If you like a softer mattress you should request a topper. Some ships have been getting new mattresses and they are reportedly a bit more comfortable. Getting one of these new mattresses with the pillow top seems to be hit or miss at this point. I need a softer mattress, so I bring my own foam topper now or I wouldn't get any sleep. The beds are very firm.

Foam toppers for the mattress. Princess beds are very firm. If you a really firm mattress then you'll be fine. If you like a softer mattress you should request a topper. Some ships have been getting new mattresses and they are reportedly a bit more comfortable. Getting one of these new mattresses with the pillow top seems to be hit or miss at this point. I need a softer mattress, so I bring my own foam topper now or I wouldn't get any sleep. The beds are very firm.
What I've always liked about the Princess beds is that they provided great back support. I've been on HAL and Celebrity and found their mattresses softer but with little/no support and always wound up with a sciatica flare-up. Had the new pillow-top mattress on the Star and it was terrific. Soft on top but good support.

Ah thanks everyone, those egg crates look 'mad'! Are they that comfortable I can see me buying one of those!! Iv got a topper on my bed at home nothing like that though! When we went to Canada prior our Alaska cruise the beds in the hotels were amazing, so comfortable, I had a look under sheet and there was a thick mattress topper on them.

Melissa

• 1 year later...

We were on the Grand three times last year, each time in different cabins and each time the beds were terribly hard. I enjoy a firm bed but with a topper to at least cushion my bones against the iron bed frame. Unlike Pam, my sciatica flares up when the nerve is compressed on a hard mattress.

The first cruise on the Grand had me almost in tears. I couldn't sleep more than 4-5 hours without my entire lower body going numb because my circulation was being crushed. I finally asked our steward to give me an egg crate. It was pretty much useless and I ended up folding it in half so that at least my shoulder, back, and hips would have a softer base. The poor steward must have thought I was trying to make a statement and brought a second topper for me. That helped a bit but we learned our lesson and bought camping blow up mattresses (packs much smaller than an egg crate) and then we still asked for an egg crate.

I've read several times here on CC that The Grand had replaced ALL the mattresses with new ones with toppers. But that was not the case. Perhaps by now they have but just know that you can always ask for an egg crate.

Both Ruby and Royal had the new pillow toppers. A couple of times the bed was so hard I had to ask for 2 toppers. Your steward is more than happy to get you whatever you need. A few times they have put a comforter under the fitted sheet to provide some cushioning.

On our last Ruby cruise the mattress on my DH's side was so saggy he was miserable. I thought, well, let's just flip it and see if the other side is any better. (Note to self, NEVER look under the sheets! Ugh!). Once we lifted the mattress we saw a pile of towels under the saggy part. We figured the cabin attendant was trying to hide the sag. Anyway, we told him the mattress was unusable, please, please put a new one on. That night we had a different mattress. Not new but newer, and so much better.

It's taken me a while but I am learning to never put up with a lousy bed. We've been short sheeted twice, had a pillowtop mattress turned upside down (so we were sleeping on the uncushioned frame part) and once they bunched 2 mattress covers up in the middle (trying to hide a saggy mattress again).

We too have experienced the sleepless nights on rock hard mattresses. Our solution is to bring our own memory foam mattress topper. It's a 2 inches thick king size which overs the ship bed nicely. How do we carry it? Interesting question. We put it into a "space bag", vacuum the air out and it fits nicely into a carryon bag. When leaving the ship, the cabin steward brings the vacuum in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What I've always liked about the Princess beds is that they provided great back support. I've been on HAL and Celebrity and found their mattresses softer but with little/no support and always wound up with a sciatica flare-up. Had the new pillow-top mattress on the Star and it was terrific. Soft on top but good support.

Pam, do you know if all the cabins on the Star have the new mattresses? I will be sailing in a balcony cabin. I had to get a topper for the Grand last time.

Thanks!

Sue

This thread is 2 years old...

You will not find all the mattress's on any ship replaced at the same time.

Its an ongoing process and done a few at a time so the new ones are soon worn out by the time the last ones are replaced if you know what I mean. :eek:

Egg crates get so nasty and stained they are thrown out often and they run short onboard.

They are not washable.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

In January on Crown we had a new pillow top mattress in our mini-suite on Dolphin deck. It was quite comfortable. :)

LuLu

We're on the Crown in a Dolphin deck aft mini-suite for 28 days - this gives us some hope that we might have some comfortable sleeping! Do you happen to remember your cabin number?

We're on the Crown in a Dolphin deck aft mini-suite for 28 days - this gives us some hope that we might have some comfortable sleeping! Do you happen to remember your cabin number?

It was D416.

Very nice mini-suite in a good location.

LuLu

Ah thanks everyone, those egg crates look 'mad'! Are they that comfortable I can see me buying one of those!! Iv got a topper on my bed at home nothing like that though!

Melissa

I first saw eggcrate mattresses in the 70's. We used them in ICU to help prevent pressure sores on patients. They worked. I take either an eggcrate or memory foam mattress on all my cruises as I like a soft mattress. I find them to be comfortable.

We usually take one but with all the noro on the Crown lately I don't want to risk it. I know there are a thousand things that we could catch it from but at least we will eliminate one. fingers crossed for new(ish) mattresses. The one we had on the Ruby in 2012 wasn't the best even with the egg crate.