My Adventure of the Seas T/A reveiw with pics from April 15, 2012

Was Nigel your room steward?

I loved being on deck 9. we are usually much lower on the ship. We had a great time and miss it already

Yes Nigel was our room steward. To be on deck 9 was just great and to have a balcony. We had breakfast on our balcony when we went into the harbour of St. Thomas.

Our cabin was the one with the birthday sign for the last days of the cruise.

Well we made it across the pond safe and sound. The seas seemed to be calm with only one day that was a bit rocky, in my opinion anyways!

Our first stop was Tenerife in the Canary Islands where we were going to do a whale watch. Can you imagine spending six days at sea then getting on another boat to watch whales? It was great though and we had a ton of fun. Only draw back was the one plus hour drive to get there.

The weather started out cloudy but turned to blue skies as we were looking at the whales.

101_0432.jpg

101_0431.jpg

101_0407.jpg

101_0328.jpg

100_1627.jpg

100_1629.jpg

The whales were right off the side of the boal. It was amazing seeing them that close. It was a first for us so it was exciting to see.

I was surprised at the landscape of Tenerife, it seemed pretty barren. I didn't know what to expect when we booked the cruise, never being further than the Caribbean before. It had its nice spots but many didn't appeal to me.

The guide pointed out two buildings that were very similar, right next to each other. They appeared to be taller than the rest but not anything to brag about. He referred to them as the "Twin Towers". I was surprised to hear that, maybe I'm a bit over sensitive. Anyway. All in all it was a great tour and very interesting to see how things are done so far away from home. I will say the bus's are vary comfy!!

100_1658.jpg

100_2906.jpg

100_2895.jpg

100_2914.jpg

100_2904.jpg

100_2891.jpg

Back on the ship and we headed for a sunny spot on deck, hard to find as the sun was dodging clouds. We grabbed our first bucket of beer and commenced to drinking for a while befor dinner. Another island down.

Up next will be Lanzarote!!

I've loved this review. Your pictures are absolutely stunning - some of the best I've seen on Cruise Critic. I also love the way you've decided to tell your story with pictures rather than loads and loads of text. I particularly enjoyed the pictures of the ships's all-access tours - lots of stuff I'd never seen before.

Keep it coming, you have loads of fans :)

We arrived in Lanzorate with similar weather conditions as we did in Tenerife. Not great but it did quickly improve. We were on the Pier side of the of the ship so we did not get to see much of the island until we got off and were headed out in the bus. We did our normal fruit plates and coffee in our room. It is so very impressive that with a ship this size that the room service is as prompt as they are. That said, they need bigger coffee pots!!

We headed to the Lyric to get together for the tour of the island. We were doing the Camel Ride and Volcano tour. We snagged the back of the bus again today for the extra leg room. Our guide today was a German woman who was very good at giving us all the info she could about where we traveled. She did a great job.

So, off the ship, on the bus and off we go. So i keep waiting and waiting for grass and trees. None, nowhere, all day. I was shocked at how even more barren it is here. At least the areas we saw. Some were almost scary to look at. The villages were very nice, all white with strict regulations on building. So we drove and drove and i still could not imagine how it could look so "Lunar" like Mars or something out of a movie. Not such good times many years ago when the volcano erupted.

Anyways, here some pictures of the island tour we did.100_2924.jpg

100_2925.jpg

100_2932.jpg

Pretty barron country side here!!!

100_2930.jpg

100_2926.jpg

This is the entrence to the park we visited. It was wild!!!! More on the after the Camels!! :eek:

We did the Camel Ride first. Lots of people but everyone moved very nicely and there was hardly any wait time. The camels are a hoot, if you are here it is a must do. I think we laughed at our selves the entire time. They said that they do not bite, but that's because they had cages over their snouts. People were having a total blast!!!!! They took us on a ride that lasted maybe 20 to 30 minutes. Up on the side of a hill where we could get some nice photos. Going down was a bit more challenging for me!! Take a look!!!

100_2938.jpg

100_2943.jpg

100_2944.jpg

100_2945.jpg

100_2947.jpg

100_2948.jpg

My buddie!!!!

You had to be carefull where you walked thats for sure!!! WOW!

100_2952.jpg

100_2954.jpg

100_2955.jpg

100_2960.jpg

100_2965.jpg

100_2973.jpg

The bag hanging off the side of DW's seat is not a bag of toys, its weight!!!! To off set the fact that i'm, me, yours truly, is grossly weighing the poor boy down. Without the bag i would still be on the ground!! LOL

Here are the last few of the Camel Races!!!! And the under ground bathrooms and resturant. The bus driver was a bit tanged because we ran late!!! Oh well.

100_2978.jpg

Great Veiw!!!!

100_2987.jpg

100_2989.jpg

100_2990.jpg

Next up will be the Volcano but im off to get some food. More later!!!!!:cool:

Thanks for the great pictures, we have booked to go on Adventure next September as she is running out of the UK next year so interesting to see the ship photo's.

We have just come back from the Canaries on Independance of the Seas, looking at the dates on your photo's we must have been following a day or so behind you.

Great review. Very informative. I am especially enjoying all the photos because our next cruise is on the Adventure in November when she sails fom Malaga to San Juan. This will be our first time on RCL since 2003 and we are looking forward to the return.

Ciao,

Nikki

Exercisemoma,

I put the water in a suit case that was junk and threw it away when we were done. Not to hide it but made it easier to carry. The soda was just in my back pack. I think it this cruise is easier than other because it is a older crowd. Not sure, just my guess. I did see a guy getting his booze taken away. Ours made it safely.

Loving this trip down memory lane, we sailed her last year from Malaga, so welcome back to Europe to AOS !! Love the picies esp the behind the scenes shots, have never seen those before. Thank you for sharing...

Wonderful review, awesome pics ESPECIALLY the one flying over Manhattan. I could practically see where I grew up at the foot of the Williamsburg Bridge. One day I will get to do a longer than 7 night cruise..... my bucket list grows.

This has been a great review and love the pictures! Thank you for taking the time to post all of this.

We sail next April on the AOS...love that ship! :)

Can't wait to read the rest....

Madeira Portugal on Thursday April 26th.

We arrived in Madeira this morning with some cloudy sky's. We were to meet our tour group in the Lyric at 10am so it was not a rush to get out of the room. This morning we decided on a bigger breakfast and splurged for some eggs and bacon.

We met our group and to our surprise our friends from breakfast were attending also. A short run to the bus and we were underway. This tour was the Panoramic drive and wine tasting. Well, when they say panoramic, they mean it!!!!!

It was another great tour with lots of local info by the guide. The bus was quickly away from the ship and i found we were traveling through tunnel after tunnel through the mountains.

100_1821.jpg

100_3146.jpg

100_3143.jpg

100_3152-1.jpg

100_3157.jpg

Once we started to gain some elevation and got away from the highway it was time to start climbing the mountain. I was not expecting that we were on a episode of "Worlds most Dangerous Roads"!!!! The roads skirted the side of the mountain and zig zagged all the way to the top. There was very little in the line of a guard rail, as in none at all. Some of the drop offs i would have guessed to be 1000' or more. On more than one occasion we had to pass another bus coming our way. There was no room for error and the driver did a fantastic job. It was amazing that so many people actually lived on the sides of mountains here. They must go through brakes like they are going out of style.

100_1676.jpg

100_1675.jpg

100_1673.jpg

100_1687.jpg

100_1705.jpg

We are taking this cruise in Nov and I am really enjoying your postings . Can't wait for the next installment. When you are finished with your review, please share your reflections on "I wish I would have....". Your imput would help soooo much. thanks

Archived