Questions for cruising on Legend

DrPepper41

I'm a 1st time cruiser heading out on the Legend for Memorial Day Weekend.

Here are a few of my questions:

1) Is the pizza in the buffet/lido deck normal pizza - like pepperoni, canadian bacon & pineapple, etc.? Or is it more along the lines of pesto artichoke pizza? My kids wanna know. lol

2) If we buy the kids a soda card - can they get soda in camp carnival or will they be sent out to the lido deck to pick up a can of soda? I'll prob get them a soda card if they have access to getting a can of soda while playing in Circle C.

3) We don't plan on doing an excursion in Belize. Since it's a tendering port, is it even worth getting off the ship with 4 kids (ages 7-12) if we aren't doing anything? Me thinks not and we should just enjoy a less-crowded ship that day.

4) How many calories is that Warm Melting Chocolate Cake? LOL - just kidding/sorta. Is there a walk-around track on any of the decks? Or just a gym/exercise room (and there is no extra fee to use equipment, right?).

5) My parents have cruised a lot (but never on Carnival) and they will be on this cruise with us (along with my 3 siblings, their spouses, and their children) and they often talk about the "Midnight Buffet" on their previous cruises. Does Carnival have something like this? If so, I've never read about it in anybody's reviews.

1) Is the pizza in the buffet/lido deck normal pizza - like pepperoni, canadian bacon & pineapple, etc.? Or is it more along the lines of pesto artichoke pizza? My kids wanna know. lol Normal

2) If we buy the kids a soda card - can they get soda in camp carnival or will they be sent out to the lido deck to pick up a can of soda? I'll prob get them a soda card if they have access to getting a can of soda while playing in Circle C.

3) We don't plan on doing an excursion in Belize. Since it's a tendering port, is it even worth getting off the ship with 4 kids (ages 7-12) if we aren't doing anything? Me thinks not and we should just enjoy a less-crowded ship that day. Not worth it

4) How many calories is that Warm Melting Chocolate Cake? LOL - just kidding/sorta. Is there a walk-around track on any of the decks? Or just a gym/exercise room (and there is no extra fee to use equipment, right?).

Track (on 11 I think) No fees to use equipment

5) My parents have cruised a lot (but never on Carnival) and they will be on this cruise with us (along with my 3 siblings, their spouses, and their children) and they often talk about the "Midnight Buffet" on their previous cruises. Does Carnival have something like this? If so, I've never read about it in anybody's reviews.

Midnight buffet long gone

Have a great cruise

The pizza is ok, used to be better to me. They do have cheese, and pepperoni, and some that are less common like goat's cheese. If you want to wait you can order a whole pizza and know it will be hot and fresh.

No midnight buffets I can remember, might be one with Mexican food, which is terrible. I love Mexican, but not what I had from the midnight buffet last time I went.

The exercise room is free and has treadmills that look out over the water among others things. In addition to the track.

I dont count calories when I cruise, sorry and think the warm chocolate melting cakes tastes like it needs to be cooked, like pudding in the middle, not my thing and I love chocolate .. but I like plenty of the other desserts.

I always get off the ship, why not.. but its too much trouble then stay on the ship. I think of the tender as a free speed boat ride. Its the longest tender of any port. Wouldnt your kids like the ride to shore?

I always get off the ship, why not.. but its too much trouble then stay on the ship. I think of the tender as a free speed boat ride. Its the longest tender of any port. Wouldnt your kids like the ride to shore?

They might like the ride - and I feel like I've traveled so far to never step foot in Belize would almost be a shame. But ppl's reviews say it's not a great port to step foot in (especially with kids) unless you have a taxi/bus to catch somewhere.

I wouldn't mind the tendering in if we could catch a ride back to the ship within a reasonable amount of time? Do those boats leave like every 30 minutes to shuttle ppl back & forth? Or on the hour?

The tenders run almost constantly and there is a shopping area right at the dock that has all the usual trinkets (overpriced of course) Sometimes there is a band or outside entertainment in the courtyard between the shops that the kids might enjoy.

As long as you stay within the fenced in port area..you and the kids should be fine..at least you'll be able to say you were really in Belize...

If $$ is not an issue I would feel perfectly safe booking an excursion with the kids...just don't wander around on your own...

1) Is the pizza in the buffet/lido deck normal pizza - like pepperoni, canadian bacon & pineapple, etc.? Or is it more along the lines of pesto artichoke pizza? My kids wanna know. lol
yeah yeah sure sure *LOL* yes they have both types of pizza - traditional like plain, pepperoni, and sausage, as well as gourmet pizzas.

They will be able to get soda at any of the bars on deck - all they have to do is show their S&S card with a bottomless bubbles sticker on it, and they're good to go.

3) We don't plan on doing an excursion in Belize. Since it's a tendering port, is it even worth getting off the ship with 4 kids (ages 7-12) if we aren't doing anything? Me thinks not and we should just enjoy a less-crowded ship that day.
Belize is one of those ports where if you don't' have anything scheduled, you can either stay on board or wander around the port area. I would not leave the port area, as outside the walls it's an "in your face" third world country, and the vendors are quite aggressive!

you can walk around deck 10, and you can also walk side to side on deck 5.

They did away with the Midnight Buffet years ago. They do have a Mexican Fiesta Buffet on one of the nights, and this is usually a really fun time to let loose, do a little dancing, and eat some food - that is if you have room!

We're on the same cruise as you - looking forward to seeing you on board! Oh and welcome to not only cruising, but also Carnival!!!

We had a wonderful time on the Legend in March...

The pizza is anything from pepperoni and cheese to really fancy stuff... just order a fresh whole pizza and get what you want on it. If you want something they don't demonstrate, it doesn't hurt to ask... They might be able to find it!:)

Working out/chocolate melting cake... The CMC is something I got many nights, I loooved it. I also only took the stairs/walked around the deck a lot at night. i only gained 2 lbs on the whole cruise (which is quite amazing if you ask me!) so you can do it too!

As far as Belize goes... I've been there twice... I went about 10 years ago, and now the port is built up to look like all the other ports... I actually did an awesome excursion to Bacab Ecopark...It was an all day tour; they take you to a rainforest and you can either kayak or ride horses or neither, they provide lunch and you can swim in this amazing pool with an awesome water slide or go looking for wild animals... I would look into this option if your kids are little more adventurous. We had a blast there (we're in our 20s) but there were lots of kids in the pool. I am sure you could set something up with them individually.

and yeah, no more midnight buffets... my mom about cried when I told her they were gone. They were so pretty.. :(

you will have SO MUCH FUN! no matter what you do! Enjoy!

We have cruised on the Legend a lot.... here is my two cents"

1. Normal pizza is available and so is more fancy stuff. It's all good.

2. Don't know about soda card and using it during Circle C. But if your kids drink a lot of soda, it is worthwhile to have.

3. Here is something to consider about Belize.... wait until mid to later morning if you do decide to go ashore without an excursion (avoiding lines and harried passengers).... the port area does have some educational type exhibits and informational totem-type things that would be interesting to younger kids. Basically, it is part of the walkway and depicts animals and cultural icons. (Not a huge thing but could be entertaining and give focus and structure to a quick visit to the port area.)

4. Legend does have great open decks for walking as well as a gym and great spa area. Perfect for exercising off that warm chocolate melting cake.

5. Midnight buffets are all but gone but occasionally pop up out of the blue. (We had one a year or so ago...) What I am seeing now consistently on each cruise is a Chocolate buffet at lunch on a sea day... definitely worthwhile but no where as grand and elaborate as the Midnight buffets. :D

Looks like your questions have been answered. Just thought I'd add-- Carnival allows you to carry on sodas in your carry on bag. We do this in order to save $. It might be nice to bring on a case of whatever sodas your kids like. I think you can bring up to 12 20z pop/water per person. Check FAQ on Carnival's site for correct amts.

Enjoy the Legend, she is a great ship.

Yeah, what everyone else said, except heck, you've come all this way to Belize and your not even going to give it a chance. Book the cave tubing tour with Cave-Tubing.com and I guarantee your kids will all love it. We did it last year with our 18 year old and she is doing it again this year with her friends while Mom and Dad are going to the Mayan ruins. There were young kids on the tour and they had a blast and the lunch they serve was fantastic.

Its a great tour, its safe, and its cheap compared to the Carnival price.

Although many of your questions have been answered, I will comment on Belize. This is probably the only place where I would book a tour through Carnival. If you can i would do so. It is a very poor country, but has some great assets- cayes off shore are nice as is river wallace and altun ha. If not I would get off the boat and go to the port area. Some of the shops have some really nice and inexpensive souvenirs. I got sone unique ones made from wood. The totem poles are cool too.

The tenders leave frequently from the ship, but trip back may take longer as they try to fill the tenders. it is a cool boat ride that im sure the kids would get a kick out of.

Yeah, what everyone else said, except heck, you've come all this way to Belize and your not even going to give it a chance. Book the cave tubing tour with Cave-Tubing.com and I guarantee your kids will all love it. We did it last year with our 18 year old and she is doing it again this year with her friends while Mom and Dad are going to the Mayan ruins. There were young kids on the tour and they had a blast and the lunch they serve was fantastic.

Its a great tour, its safe, and its cheap compared to the Carnival price.

I totally agree. Belize is a great port for cave tubing or zip lining. Your kids would love it!

You can ask for your pizza any way you like. I get anchovy and it's yummy!

I'm not a fan of WCMC. Too gooey. No calories. :rolleyes:

Actually, if you've never been, I would book an excursion in Belize. It's gorgeous but it's extremely poor. Driving through the countryside and seeing the houses can put everything in perspective.

The gym is very nice and spacious. Working out over the ocean would be a plus!

regarding your soda card and kids clubs.

the 9-11 kids can sign themselves in and out of program and go to any bar to get a soda.

the younger kids can not leave the camps to go get something to drink. Water and juice are provided to those kids.

With that being said-- camp is not opened 24 hours a day.

on Sea days they are opened from 10am til 12:45 2pm til 5pm and 7pm til 10pm then it becomes a charge.

There is free iced tea and lemonade on the buffet lido deck.

you can take 12 cans of soda for each kid with carry ons.

With the soda card-- they do not get a can of soda. they get a small glass with lots of ice and soda is poured into the glass from the bar waiter.

Soda cards are not good for room service.

OK so I just have to..... WCMC is 900 calories per serving BEFORE the ice cream. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

is that all? I mean some of those frozen foo foo drinks have almost 1000 calories.

I also am not a fan of the WCMC- for me it tastes like a cake that has been undercooked

I'll be on the Legend in November and I was toying with the idea of a soda card but with 5 port days, that's a lot of time being off ship. If my son did make it worth my money, I'd be worried that he'd become a soda addict in seven days.

On our last cruise, the rare times my son wanted a soda, a kid with a soda card would get him one.:)

is that all? I mean some of those frozen foo foo drinks have almost 1000 calories.

I also am not a fan of the WCMC- for me it tastes like a cake that has been undercooked

Thanks what the Chef on the Victory told us in March! You are right...it could be worse. I don't eat it myself buy DW does!

The pizza is ok, used to be better to me. They do have cheese, and pepperoni, and some that are less common like goat's cheese. If you want to wait you can order a whole pizza and know it will be hot and fresh.

No midnight buffets I can remember, might be one with Mexican food, which is terrible. I love Mexican, but not what I had from the midnight buffet last time I went.

The exercise room is free and has treadmills that look out over the water among others things. In addition to the track.

I dont count calories when I cruise, sorry and think the warm chocolate melting cakes tastes like it needs to be cooked, like pudding in the middle, not my thing and I love chocolate .. but I like plenty of the other desserts.

Tender rides in ports and tram rides from amusement park parking lots -- I consider them not an irritant but another ride!

Belize is a little scary if you're not doing a tour, but you can get some good pictures of the ship on the way back. I did it two years ago with four kids 10-16.

I'll be on the Legend in November and I was toying with the idea of a soda card but with 5 port days, that's a lot of time being off ship. If my son did make it worth my money, I'd be worried that he'd become a soda addict in seven days.

On our last cruise, the rare times my son wanted a soda, a kid with a soda card would get him one.:)

I bought two soda cards for my four kids, and they probably drank more free lemonade than they did soda. We all thought the lemonade was fantastic; it makes a great mixer for bourbon!

I bought two soda cards for my four kids, and they probably drank more free lemonade than they did soda. We all thought the lemonade was fantastic; it makes a great mixer for bourbon!

and Vodka:)

dont know if someone answered this or not, i didnt read the entire thread, but when my niece and nephew were in the teen camp, on the triumph out of nyc, they told me that pitchers of pop aka soda were always there and free to drink. thats what they told me, can only go by thier word. i was never in there with them, they were 16 and 15 at the time.

I posted a thread asking why cruise lines go to Costa Maya since there seem to be limited things to do, especially for young children. The responses I got reminded me that we all have such different interests that Costa Maya isn't a bad port, just not a good one for us at the time.

I've been to Belize once and would love to go back. We took an excursion to see one of the major Mayan ruins and also had lunch at a local restaurant (the food and music were awesome). The bus ride through the countryside was interesting in itself. For me it's a port of interest and I wouldn't miss the chance to get off of the ship. With a large family I would need to justify spending the $$'s since it isn't cheap but there is plenty to see. I choose the Western Caribbean ports because of historical sites. I'm not a drinker or shopper. Hopefully you find something of interest for your family but spending a day on the ship isn't bad either. Have a great cruise.

I would also agree that you should at least get off the ship in Belize. Judge for yourself. I loved our cave tubing excursion & we are doing a ruins tour next time. Definitely book a tour there, unless $$ is an issue. If that's the case stay within the "tourism village" gates & just browse the shops. Have a Belikan at the "wet Lizard." Enjoy your cruise.

Archived