HAL booked me on the wrong cruise and won't fix it!

happypooh

Cannot believe HAL! I called and booked the cruise from Rome to Monte Carlo,Barcelona,Tunis, Palermo etc...well they sent me an email with a pdf file saying that I'm on the cruise to Greece, Croatia and Ephesus!! I was so upset! When I called they said there was nothing they could do even though I bought platinum protection! If I cancel I'd lose over $550! Never mind the fact I booked my flight from the US to Rome!! Someone please tell me that going on the Roman Empire cruise will be ok...I have 2 kids and it just sounds dire! Seriously the beaches, blue sky and white houses look all the same to me!! I'm so upset!

Oh My! I'm so sorry. I can certainly understand why you would be upset. Did you book after final payment? Do you have anything in writing, e-mails, etc. to use as leverage to get them to put you on the cruise you want? Best of luck to you. I hope it gets worked out.

Without knowing details, I suggest you call HAL and ask to speak with a supervisore. Stay polite, but keep being persisent about speaking with someone else. Call back if necessary to start with someone else. Not all customer service agents are equal.

Also, you should have recieved your email confirmation immediately. I typically get them shortly after getting off the phone. I also always insist on being given the booking number before the end of the call. I go to the HAL website soon afterwards to check on shore excursions with the booking number. Those suggestions won't help OP now, but may help others make sure they've booked the correct cruise. OP needs to follow VB Mom's suggestion of calling and requesting a supervisor.

Cannot believe HAL! I called and booked the cruise from Rome to Monte Carlo,Barcelona,Tunis, Palermo etc...well they sent me an email with a pdf file saying that I'm on the cruise to Greece, Croatia and Ephesus!! I was so upset! When I called they said there was nothing they could do even though I bought platinum protection! If I cancel I'd lose over $550! Never mind the fact I booked my flight from the US to Rome!! Someone please tell me that going on the Roman Empire cruise will be ok...I have 2 kids and it just sounds dire! Seriously the beaches, blue sky and white houses look all the same to me!! I'm so upset!

You "cannot believe HAL", and I have trouble understanding your post. You booked using a credit card, correct? Then phone your credit card company and tell them of your distress - charges will be put on hold until the investigation is completed. (Just for the record, follow up with your complaint sent by registered mail with a copy to HAL headquarters) Seriously.

You wrote: "I have 2 kids and it just sounds dire" - I have no idea what that means, but just as a suggestion: seek help from a trusted individual in real life.

---------------------------------------------------

How did HAL book you on the " wrong" cruise? The Noordam does a rotating 10 day schedule based on date ( or you can do a 20 day with both iternaries ). If you booked direct with HAL did you not tell them what date you wanted to start your cruise?? Since you already bought your flights I would suggest that you start researching the ports. I think you will be pleasasntly surprised.

When do you go? I leave in a couple of days on the Roman Empire cruise. To me, it was the perfect cruise to pick. You should realize that Greece is not all the same...it is not all white houses and sand...not at all.....

Dubrovnik: everyone that I have talked to that has been here says it is their new favorite place. Beautiful!!

Santorini: sometimes called the prettiest place on earth

Ephesus: important Christian site, plus you get to experience Turkey's culture

Athens: Big bustling city with ancient ruins.

Corfu: Lush and green. Many options for touring.

Denise

The advice to call and ask for a supervisor is a good one. As to the cruise you are booked on - nice ports of call - I agree. either one would be fine with me:D

Is this on the Noordam that does these alternate routes on different dates? We have always wanted to do that western Med-Tunis itinerary too and I kept getting the alternate routes mixed up when I was looking at this ship. Don't be too sorry if you miss Palermo - rife with pick-pockets. But that is quite a difference in cruise routes - how did they explain this radical change in expected itinerary?

Hi, so it sounds like you have your flights and the dates you want BUT with some confusion are on the Eastern Itinerary versus the "West".

Ok, HAL has alternating 10 night itineraries from Civitavecchia (port nearest Rome). We did the "West" on Westerdam and liked it so much came back the next year and went "East" on Noordam.

Most people seem to prefer the Eastern itinerary you are on if you are looking for support. The places to visit are in general closer to where Noordam will dock verses getting from Liverno to Florence, etc.

You don't need to go to beaches. We never go to beaches. From Kusadasi you can go to Ephesus (amazing, we have been twice) and from Corfu went to Albania on HAL's excursion (probably the best HAL ship excursion we have been on), and I believe you will get to see Athens. Dubrovnik is amazing and everyone wants to go to Santorini. We were just there in November.

Eitherway you are going to Rome, which is our favorite place of all.

Let us know if you are sticking with this itinerary and need assistance.

The ports are great on both.

Hi there.

I too would be devastated to be booked on the wrong cruise! So disappointing...

We also have 2 children -aged 11 and 16- however we picked the Roman Empire cruise for the itinery. Last year we did the Med Glamour cruise on the Western Med and decided to visit the Eastern Med this year. The children are looking forward to:

Seeing gladiators in Rome

Cable car in Dubrovnik

Snorkelling in Corfu

Running round the first Olympic track in Olympia

Visiting the blue and white village in Santorini

Visiting the ancient ruins in Ephesus

Going to the new Acropolis museum in Athens

Seeing mount Etna in Sicily...

I hope it will be a great cruise! :)

Why on earth would someone want to convince the OP that the cruise she was booked on is every bit as good as the one she wanted???? I am certain that it is....but clearly she wants the other one! And she has the air.

Best advice is to keep asking for additional levels of supervisors/managers until you get someone with the authority to give you a 'yes' and make it right. The sooner you do this the better your chances are of getting it fixed.

HAL is a good company. I feel certain that if you reach the 'right' manager that this situation will be made right for you. Like all companies, sometimes at first you end up with supervisors who are only authorized to say no. Be persistent until you reach someone at level where they have the authority to say yes. You may also want to fax a brief letter outlining the issue and clearly identifying your 'ask' to the CEO's office. That way you can work 'up and down' the organization.

Good luck.

Someone please tell me that going on the Roman Empire cruise will be ok...

Iancal: I think people are trying to help convince her she will like the cruise because she asked them to? :D

Careful where you throw those flames.

Why on earth would someone want to convince the OP that the cruise she was booked on is every bit as good as the one she wanted???? I am certain that it is....but clearly she wants the other one! And she has the air.

Good luck.

Because the Op stated the following,

"Someone please tell me that going on the Roman Empire cruise will be ok..."

She was looking for support.

Also, it may be very expensive to fix. My assumption was that she has the air actually connected to the cruise she is on but mixed up the East verses West itineraries. If that is the case and there are 4 persons on non-refundable air, there could be thousands of dollars lost since this is from the USA.

We need more clarification on exactly what happened and if the air is connected to the itinerary she is on or the itinerary she wants.

If the OP has HAL's Platinum plan than what she may be out is mostly the cost of the plan if they won't move the plan to the other itinerary. But, if the Roman Empire (East Med) cruise is connected to her air she is looking for more of a refund from HAL than just the cruise itself. We need more info.

It really has nothing whatsoever to do with us. It is a customer satisfaction issue between her and HAL. How on earth could anyone on this board solve her basic issue, booked on the wrong cruise, unless of course they happened to work for HAL management.

Iancal: I think people are trying to help convince her she will like the cruise because she asked them to? :D

She did ask for support.

Those posting would have to know that the "Roman Empire" cruise is in fact the East itinerary she is on with Greek Islands including Santorini, etc.

It really has nothing whatsoever to do with us. It is a customer satisfaction issue between her and HAL. How on earth could anyone on this board solve her basic issue, booked on the wrong cruise, unless of course they happened to work for HAL management.

She came to this message board looking for support.

Missing in this discussion is further input by the OP:

1. Did OP mistake the east and west itineraries on the same ship, when making the original reservation?

2. Did HAL pull a switch on her after she confirmed she got the itinerary she wanted on the date and ship she wanted?

3. What was the HAL follow-up if they switched itineraries after the original reservation was made?

4. How many other passengers also complained to HAL about this same switch?

Missing in this discussion is further input by the OP:

1. Did OP mistake the east and west itineraries on the same ship, when making the original reservation?

2. Did HAL pull a switch on her after she confirmed she got the itinerary she wanted on the date and ship she wanted?

3. What was the HAL follow-up if they switched itineraries after the original reservation was made.

4. How many other passengers also complained to HAL by this same switch?

Right. Did pax call up and ask for X date and they gave her the date she requested? Does her airfare match these dates so she was confused on the East versus West itinerary.

OR, did pax ask for a certain date and itinerary and HAL gave her a competely different date. If she has proof of airfare on totally differant dates that would support her claim that HAL make a booking error (I would be showing this to HAL as it makes no sence to book air that does not match the cruise).

I'm guessing the air matches her booking and the East verses West got mixed up, but I could be wrong.

Also how long did it take to catch the error? We don't book air until we have the confirmation, and the confirmation shows the itinerary.

She did ask for support.

Those posting would have to know that the "Roman Empire" cruise is in fact the East itinerary she is on with Greek Islands including Santorini, etc.

Jade-Aren't we saying the exact same thing? You did use the color change and I didn't, but isn't the point of the post the same?

Pooh- I really hope that you get the answers you need from HAL and the support you need from this board. Your cruise is on my list of dream cruises. I think if they can't switch, you will love it! At least I hope you do!:D

Someone please tell me that going on the Roman Empire cruise will be ok...

Sounds like they were asking to be reassured that should this not get resolved by the OP and HAL the way the OP would like that the cruise they are booked on will indeed be a good one by people that have taken that very cruise and know. It's called being supportive and helpful, something I am sure the OP and any of us would appreciate. Why is the fact that CC'ers are being supportive and helpful a reason for complaint?

As to the OP's question, I personally have not done that cruise but it is on my list of cruises I want to do, even more so actually than the Western one. If things don't work out the way you had hoped, I still think you will have a lovely time.

OP, How do you think this mistake happened?

Do you have any idea how this error could have slipped past you while on the phone? Were you waivering between the two itineraries and there was some confusion?

Next time try using a cruise consultant (travel agent). The price is the same and you will be dealing with someone who cares. We always receive a detailed itinerary prior to paying anything. We pay only after reviewing all the details, and typically have a few days to do so.

igraf

So you wanted: Civitavecchia (rome), Italy, Livorno (florence/pisa), Italy, Monte Carlo, Monaco, Barcelona, Spain, Palma De Mallorca, Spain La Goulette (tunis), Tunisia, Palermo, Sicily, Italy, Naples, Italy, Civitavecchia (rome), Italy

and you got: Civitavecchia (rome), Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; Corfu, Greece; Katakolon, Greece; Thira (santorini), Greece; Kusadasi (ephesus), Turkey; Piraeus (athens), Greece; Messina, Italy; Civitavecchia (rome), Italy

Both trips sound fabulous. Dire? Hardly Well, I wouldn't worry too much. There is no such thing as a bad cruise unless you've already been to these ports so why be upset. All these places a have such a wonderful rich history and plenty to see and do. My co-worker did the Eastern Med and love every minute of it. She loved Greece the best. Please come back and write a review for us. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Yah, all that is true but that is not the cruise she choose to book.

Who of us would not be upset to be booked onto a cruise we didn't select but that is what we get to pay for and take the children on?

I am really interested if OP has ANY idea how the mistake happened.

Archived