Zuiderdam - still has awful toilet issues!!

Portas

The sewage smell (that I could tell), was only on the Main deck. I think if we had had cabin higher up (which we generally like anyway, this was a very last minute booking), we would not have been aware of these things. It certainly in no way ruined or even "marred" our cruise. It wouldn't be our first choice, but if I was already booked I certainly would go expecting to have a wonderful time. I do feel, though, that these issues should be addressed if they are chronic problems.

We just got off the ship on Friday too. We were in 4166 port side. Had flushing issues a few times but eventually seemed to resolve itself. The AC in our room worked well during the whole trip. The furniture on our balcony needed to be trashed as the faux wicker was unraveling.

Thanks for letting us know about the toilet and AC. Other than the balcony furniture in poor shape, did you enjoy the balcony? I love these cabins and had 4166 on the Oosterdam. I had booked it for my upcoming Zuiderdam cruise but then upgraded myself to a VA aft. :)

Just got back on the 9th. Had not one moment of flushing issues, but we had significant air conditioning issues. The second night they turned it off completely to do some repairs (that's what they told us when we called down to the front desk to ask why our cabin was so hot), . The rest of the cruise the cabin remained warm, so they gave us a fan and I must say that did help. The air conditioner just did not seem able to deal with the higher temperatures of the Southern Caribbean. We also noticed that the temperature around the ship was inconsistent, quite warm in some areas, cooler in others.

The other issue was the smell of sewage. We were on Deck 4, forward, port side, and whenever we would walk mid ship, there was often a terrible stench. It was really bad, but we were grateful that it wasn't up where our cabin was.

We had a great cruise, but this ship definitely needs some work, hope the drydock will resolve some of the problems.

Thanks for your report. Did your AC ever get fixed? I'm on the Zuiderdam next year so I hope the drydock fixes these issues... especially the sewage smells! :eek:

From sandygal's post it appears that there were sewage odor problems on Deck 1 (Main Deck). As I mentioned earlier, the sewage I smelled was in a Deck 1 public restroom.

We did also have a couple of hours when our air conditioning was not cooling (in a deck 6 verandah), but it was repaired quickly enough that we did not experience any real discomfort.

I agree that I would not want to encounter a sewage smell for any prolonged period. Because my exposure was limited, there was no substantial interference with enjoying the cruise. I can see, however, how such a smell would be a serious drawback if it persisted.

I very much regret that any of these problems arose on the Z, because it is an especially beautiful ship. I am one of those people who genuinely enjoys the whimsical sculptures and harlequin figures located throughout the ship.

I regret that the Z seems to be prone to recurring problems, as I want to be back on board again.

We just disembarked from Zuiderdam on Nov 9 and did not share some of the problems described in recent posts. Threre were two fire alarms, but both were reported and explained calmly and professionally by the captain.

The only sewage smell I detected was in a public restroom on Deck 1 (Main Deck).

Our toilet, AC, and wicker furniture were all in excellent order. I also thought that the carpet and brightwork in the public areas were also in excellent shape.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Zuiderdam. She has a very enthusiastic and helpful crew. Apart from my cholesterol level doubling in just a few too-short days, everything was great!

P.S.: Why in the world would they serve rum raisin ice cream at the same dessert as the chocolate souffle? Anyone with any sense knows that passengers would have to order both. My theory is that Crestor pays them to do such things!

From sandygal's post it appears that there were sewage odor problems on Deck 1 (Main Deck). As I mentioned earlier, the sewage I smelled was in a Deck 1 public restroom.

We did also have a couple of hours when our air conditioning was not cooling (in a deck 6 verandah), but it was repaired quickly enough that we did not experience any real discomfort.

I agree that I would not want to encounter a sewage smell for any prolonged period. Because my exposure was limited, there was no substantial interference with enjoying the cruise. I can see, however, how such a smell would be a serious drawback if it persisted.

I very much regret that any of these problems arose on the Z, because it is an especially beautiful ship. I am one of those people who genuinely enjoys the whimsical sculptures and harlequin figures located throughout the ship.

I regret that the Z seems to be prone to recurring problems, as I want to be back on board again.

Welcome Home and thank you for your report. I am on the Zuiderdam next May and hope the drydock solves most of the problems. (And yes, I would have to order both the rum raisin ice cream and chocolate souffle. ;))

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Caribbean/Panama 12 day on Nov. 30. We were in 6027 (avoid if at all possible...WAY too tiny) and rarely smelled the sewer smell, though maybe half a dozen times we caught a whiff for a few seconds.

Only toilet issues were that occasionally one would push the button and it would take 40 seconds or so to flush. Sometimes we'd be washed and back watching TV before we heard the sucking sounds.

However, big time smell deck 10 starboard stern. And on the second last sea day, the starboard hallway near the Ocean Bar was ripe, and the Art Auction just across from it was so bad, I had to hold my nose when I walked by it.

I had written a couple of comments on notes to the front desk about the Deck 10 smell, but no answer back. I phoned down about the Ocean Bar/Art Auction, again no response.

But, I suspect it's not their job to speak up for HAL. The smell wasn't enough to spoil our trip, but it is enough that I wouldn't 'recommend' to any friend a trip on Z at this point. And as someone mentioned earlier on, at least it isn't smelled in the dining room or Lido.

As for the A/C we had it cranked up full bore and it was 'comfortable' though not really cool/cold.

Several times in ports there was an announcement that parts of the ship would be losing electrical power while they did work on something or other. The down time was minimal...barely noticed it...so maybe something is happening re a/c.

All in all...smell and a/c...it was adequate. But the staff/ports/food/and way we were treated on the ship were terrific.

However, I think I'll wait til I hear from HAL that they've addressed the odour issues before I go back to Z.

Just finished Caribbean/Panama 12 day on Nov. 30. We were in 6027 (avoid if at all possible...WAY too tiny) and rarely smelled the sewer smell, though maybe half a dozen times we caught a whiff for a few seconds.

Only toilet issues were that occasionally one would push the button and it would take 40 seconds or so to flush. Sometimes we'd be washed and back watching TV before we heard the sucking sounds.

However, big time smell deck 10 starboard stern. And on the second last sea day, the starboard hallway near the Ocean Bar was ripe, and the Art Auction just across from it was so bad, I had to hold my nose when I walked by it.

I had written a couple of comments on notes to the front desk about the Deck 10 smell, but no answer back. I phoned down about the Ocean Bar/Art Auction, again no response.

But, I suspect it's not their job to speak up for HAL. The smell wasn't enough to spoil our trip, but it is enough that I wouldn't 'recommend' to any friend a trip on Z at this point. And as someone mentioned earlier on, at least it isn't smelled in the dining room or Lido.

As for the A/C we had it cranked up full bore and it was 'comfortable' though not really cool/cold.

Several times in ports there was an announcement that parts of the ship would be losing electrical power while they did work on something or other. The down time was minimal...barely noticed it...so maybe something is happening re a/c.

All in all...smell and a/c...it was adequate. But the staff/ports/food/and way we were treated on the ship were terrific.

However, I think I'll wait til I hear from HAL that they've addressed the odour issues before I go back to Z.

Welcome Home! I'm hoping that HAL fixes the AC and odor issues during drydock this week. :o

We also got back from the 11/19 cruise. We had a Deck 5 aft verandah cabin.

No toilet issues to report - but note that our cabin is on the other end of the ship to lyndaler's cabin.

No major A/C issues to report. The Queen's Lounge and a port aft section of the Deck 2 MDR actually felt too cold. The only place that didn't seem to have proper A/C was the hallway between the Greenhouse Spa lobby and hydrotherapy pool - although considering the proximity of all the pools, the A/C might not have even been turned on.

(Aside: We overheard the captain one night state that the A/C system was recently overhauled in the summer. Take that what you will.)

The only sewage smell I caught a whiff of was one day at Deck 1 midships.

There was one big thing: the fire sprinkler in our cabin dribbled a bit of water three times, always during the night, over the course of our journey. We notified the front desk and they did have a mechanic look at it twice.

I noticed there were several buckets placed in various places in the common areas. After braving a huge rainstorm in Panama, there appeared to be a big water leak just outside the Deck 2 MDR entrance on the starboard side.

All in all, the ship was a bit worn in places, but mechanically seemed quite sound. She celebrates her 10th birthday next week Friday, I wish her well!

We were in 7018 and had no issues. The air was fine and our toilet was great as long as we pushed the button really hard when flushing. There were sewer smells here and there but not any more that what we experienced on the Azamara Quest in Sept.

Oh great, we're sailing on her in a few weeks. Cabin 4063.

Edited by metairiegal
typo

DW mentioned she smelled garbage on Deck 10 aft sometimes. However, she smelled the same thing on Eurodam's Deck 10. Since that is where the ventilation exhaust fans are located, I'm guessing bad smells will be there from time to time. I never smelled anything.

We were in 7018 and had no issues. The air was fine and our toilet was great as long as we pushed the button really hard when flushing. There were sewer smells here and there but not any more that what we experienced on the Azamara Quest in Sept.

We are in 7021 in January and our friends are in 7013. Booked these as they seemed to be in an area with few reported issues. We had to push the button really hard on the Celebrity Summit in September and did not feel that was worth mentioning in our review.

• 11 months later...

Hi

I am just back frooooom sailing. I did not have any problems, But I did feel a little warm at times, I had no problem with toliets. I will write a few cons I had about this ship. While at front desk I saw a few people complaining about the a/c. I was mid ship room 6069. My report will be on live from Zuiderham.

MAry