Zuiderdam - still has awful toilet issues!!

Portas

I think you can expect nothing but positive reports about the Zuiderdam from Lisa. The PR machine is at work. James Deering is failing in his duties as Hotel Manager but it was interesting to watch some of the intense conversations taking place. In his eyes, and that transcends to his front office staff, the customer is always wrong. He is well aware of all the criticism on Cruise Critic and I am positive he is taking steps to dilute some of it.

There was also a very silly decision to make the last formal night for the 22-day transit a formal "optional" night to appease the 4-day segment passengers. It was more the dumbing-down of HAL. Smart casual would have been fine along with those who chose to stick to formal. But instead it was translated as jeans and t-shirts were OK for the MDR, and some even wore ball caps. And all were allowed.

I don't think it was to appease people who didn't want to dress up. The 4-night pax probably didn't know. We had a similar thing happen on our southbound coastal on Zuiderdam. Passengers who embarked for the coastal had docs that said all nights would be elegant casual. Those of us on the collector had docs that indicated a sea day would be formal. The daily program said that evening would be formal. Then the CD made an announcement that it would be formal optional. Unfortunately, his description of optional made it sound like ANYTHING would be OK. The maitre d's were left to enforce elegant casual as a "minimum" and they turned away some people in shorts and t-shorts. Don't remember who the CD was on that cruise.

We had a "formal optional" on our extended TA cruise last fall, and the grand Maasdam passengers did it up right - probably 85-90% took the option to be very formal .... and our last nights together were very lovely.

Too bad you had to have skeeter and his ball cap to finish off your cruise. This is worse than toilet or A/C problems.

Worse than ballcaps were the guys with tank tops at breakfast. All that doughy flesh and hair hanging out sitting next to you at breakfast really does take away the appetite.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?a5c13o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worse than ballcaps were the guys with tank tops at breakfast. All that doughy flesh and hair hanging out sitting next to you at breakfast really does take away the appetite.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?a5c13o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuck!:eek: However, ball caps really annoy me when worn indoors & it's not just the "young" crowd. Really wondering how the people will dress on my upcoming cruise, especially on formal nights and considering the destination. :rolleyes:

HALs cost cutting is now beginning seriously to compromise its overall product. Whether the issues being raised here are valid or not (and I believe they are) HAL is facing a PR disaster if they don't do something to address the concerns and be seen to be doing something. The word is out that HAL is sailing into very troubled waters and no longer provides the high standards they used to be justly proud of. It's a slippery slope......

I agree. I saw a difference, although slight, between my 2008 and 2011 cruises on HAL. The main difference we noticed was with the food, especially desserts. There was also a lack of fresh berries in 2011, which were abundant in 2008. (Still far better food than our 2010 NCL cruise) As I continue to read the cruising forums I am aware that HAL, as well as the other cruise lines, keep making cuts. They are trying to keep their prices attractive so they can fill their ships. It is obvious that these cuts seem to be causing disappointment and an inferior cruising experience. I, for one, am getting very nervous about committing limited vacation dollars to a future cruise. We had thought about cruising the Panama Canal, New Zealand/Australia and Antarctica. I think we will be looking more at land based vacations, just as we used to take. Although I read posts carefully, and typically disregard posts of first time posters who only joined to complain, I have read enough from seasoned posters to believe that a lot of problems exist on some of the HAL ships and I for one don't want to be stung.

Edited by vbmom87

I noticed a vastly improved selections for the cheese plate on our last HAL cruise. No decline in quality noticed at all depending upon which details one chooses to focus upon. Desserts were never a strong point on HAL even back in 2009, but their fresh baked breads have always been superior and still are.

I think you can expect nothing but positive reports about the Zuiderdam from Lisa. The PR machine is at work. James Deering is failing in his duties as Hotel Manager but it was interesting to watch some of the intense conversations taking place. In his eyes, and that transcends to his front office staff, the customer is always wrong. He is well aware of all the criticism on Cruise Critic and I am positive he is taking steps to dilute some of it.

Why would it be James Deering's fault if HAL isn't willing to commit the resources to fix the plumbing and AC problems? He is just an employee and can only ask for what he needs to do his job. I saw him only once on the Thanksgiving 2005 sailing on the Zuiderdam. He met with the CC group one afternoon. He was so open and honest when answering our questions. HAL is lucky to have him. I am sorry passengers are having to put up with the deficiencies but doubt the real problem is staff related. It sounds like maintenance delayed too long to me.

Why would it be James Deering's fault if HAL isn't willing to commit the resources to fix the plumbing and AC problems? He is just an employee and can only ask for what he needs to do his job. I saw him only once on the Thanksgiving 2005 sailing on the Zuiderdam. He met with the CC group one afternoon. He was so open and honest when answering our questions. HAL is lucky to have him. I am sorry passengers are having to put up with the deficiencies but doubt the real problem is staff related. It sounds like maintenance delayed too long to me.

James Deering is ultimately responsible, but I didn't say it was his fault, and he's a very pleasant man. I would rather he addressed the problems rather than roll out the PR. At least the CD and the captain were pretty open and honest about it, and apologetic. James informed us that the only work to be done during the dry dock was cosmetic - which surprised us.

James Deering is ultimately responsible, but I didn't say it was his fault, and he's a very pleasant man. I would rather he addressed the problems rather than roll out the PR. At least the CD and the captain were pretty open and honest about it, and apologetic. James informed us that the only work to be done during the dry dock was cosmetic - which surprised us.

That is extremely disappointing to hear that the dry dock stuff will all be cosmetic. I wish they would spend the money on the toilets and a/c.

As you have found ~ as soon as we arrived home I put my "two cents worth" in on these boards...and I must say some of the replys were honest, concerned (from future Zuiderdam cruisers) and some were ... I don't know the words....:rolleyes: :( Being your 'next door neighbor' we tolerated the issues we were confronted with but as CC folks we just want to let others know that the Zuiderdam does continue to have these problems. Because I am a new poster I was taken aback by some of the "non-trustworthiness" comments...BUT...those of us who were on the ship for those 18 days know what we had to deal with.

Your comment on the "Dry Dock" time this coming December is exactly what we were told by several staff (and of course I will NOT state their names). They said that correcting the plumbing issue would take much more time than a 'Dry Dock' time.

Resolving A/C and plumbing issues will take much longer than a 7-10 day drydock. What the staff told you was correct. Therein lies the real issue. HAL is probably not prepared to take the ships out of revenue service for a longer period.

They will do some band aid work, then budget for some additonal OBC credits to be handed out to the poor souls who end up in the flood zones or the no A/C areas and who complain loud enough.

Edited by iancal

As you have found ~ as soon as we arrived home I put my "two cents worth" in on these boards...and I must say some of the replys were honest, concerned (from future Zuiderdam cruisers) and some were ... I don't know the words....:rolleyes: :( Being your 'next door neighbor' we tolerated the issues we were confronted with but as CC folks we just want to let others know that the Zuiderdam does continue to have these problems. Because I am a new poster I was taken aback by some of the "non-trustworthiness" comments...BUT...those of us who were on the ship for those 18 days know what we had to deal with.

Your comment on the "Dry Dock" time this coming December is exactly what we were told by several staff (and of course I will NOT state their names). They said that correcting the plumbing issue would take much more time than a 'Dry Dock' time.

Hi Portas, we missed you after you left... we got very noisy neighbours for the 4 days:( I hear you about some of the comments - amazed that some here think we were all lying:eek: One of our roll call is heading down to Seattle tomorrow to deal with them in person, and he is definitely not a happy cruiser! Maybe after this cruise they will finally do something to fix the problems once and for all, given the number of incidents and complaints. The ship needs to be dry-docked for an extended period and not just getting band-aid fixes.

startwin,

Did you record all the problems when you filled in the ratings at the end of the cruise?

Will you write to Stein Kruse?

Yes and yes. Not that it will do any good, as we have been hearing about these problems for a long time, and other passengers have previously reported them. We can but try and hope it pushes the powers-that-be to order an extensive re-fit for the ship.

Yes and yes. Not that it will do any good, as we have been hearing about these problems for a long time, and other passengers have previously reported them. We can but try and hope it pushes the powers-that-be to order an extensive re-fit for the ship.

It will be interesting to know if you receive a reply from Stein Kruse.

There was a time when HAL was incomparable..........a traditional cruise line with an illustrious heritage. Then, it was bought by Carnival and, for a while, it maintained that heritage. But the advent of Vista Class ships began the decline we see today..........evidence that the profit motive has overwhelmed any semblance of tradition and quality. The staff continue to impress despite the ships and materials with which they have to work. We now have four Statendam ships that are tired and nearing the end of their lives as 'premium' ships; three anomalies (Prinsendam, Amsterdam and Rotterdam) which too are dated, and the Vistas, which appear to have been poorly built and/or poorly maintained. HAL has a problem and I hope it does not spread to another CCL company, Cunard.

CCL runs good cheap 'pile 'em high/price 'em cheap' cruises, and whatever it claims, it ultimately brings all of its products to that standard. :cool:

To start out with, I dont respond to post on here 99% of the times but I am a daily reader of cruise critic, and I recieve all the updates that cruise critic puts on Facebook. I keep up, above, and beyond on cruise news. I visit many different cruise websites every single day.

After reading all the negative reviews of Zuiderdam, I have now decided that I am going to cancel my cruise on the Zuiderdam. I have room # 7045 booked which is a Penthouse Suite, and spending that kind of money, I dont wont to go on a ship that smells like sewage. While this wont affect how I feel about Holland America, or any other cruise line, I plan to re-book on a "different ship". Vacations are special, and I dont wont to take a 50-50 chance on if the Zuiderdam will be a great cruise or not. By reading all these reviews the past few months, it sounds like Zuiderdam should have went in Dry Dock several months ago to correct these problems.

So that any members on here dont mistaken me............I am NOT bashing or saying anything negative about Holland America. All that I am saying is, I will be re-booking my cruise on a different ship, and chances are, it will be with Princess Cruise Lines (Coral or Island Princess) simply because Princess & HAL are the only lines that do round trip Panama Canal Cruises from Florida.

Jeff

Here is the result of a bit of research from American Express....seems to be related to what is happening/not happening with HAL....see if you agree..

==============

Americans aren't too happy with customer service, according to a recent American Express survey, but a Florida Atlantic University professor suggests businesses can turn that around by following three simple steps.

First, managers should reach out to the unhappy customers "very quickly," said FAU’s Peter Ricci, who has more than 20 years of hospitality managerial experience, from food service to lodging. The manager should "first apologize and then own the problem," he recently wrote in an e-mail. "Then it is his or her duty to carry through the problem resolution to the end."

Business also need to set up an easy system for consumers to complain and then have their issues resolved. "They shouldn't be 'left hanging,'" Ricci added. The company also should remove any "arduous process" that will keeps customers from even trying to get their complaint resolved. Those roadblocks will keep customers from returning, he warned.

Finally, he said, it's not enough that businesses are on Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites. They also need to be actively interactive with customers – especially those with complaints. It’s not enough for companies to promise to look into an issue or to write, "We have not heard that previously and apologize," Ricci said, "and then leave the guest hanging without ever resolving to the guest's satisfaction."

The reason: The American Express Global Customer Service Barometer shows Americans are increasingly voicing their discontent. They will tell an average of 24 people about poor experiences -- a 50 percent jump from a year ago, according to the poll of 1,000 people nationwide.

And, Ricci said, there is a reward for responding "quickly, professionally and thoroughly" to a complaint. Research shows that unhappy consumers who are treated well are more likely to become a repeat customer than someone who never had a problem, the professor said.

There was a time when HAL was incomparable..........a traditional cruise line with an illustrious heritage. Then, it was bought by Carnival and, for a while, it maintained that heritage. But the advent of Vista Class ships began the decline we see today..........evidence that the profit motive has overwhelmed any semblance of tradition and quality. The staff continue to impress despite the ships and materials with which they have to work. We now have four Statendam ships that are tired and nearing the end of their lives as 'premium' ships; three anomalies (Prinsendam, Amsterdam and Rotterdam) which too are dated, and the Vistas, which appear to have been poorly built and/or poorly maintained. HAL has a problem and I hope it does not spread to another CCL company, Cunard.

CCL runs good cheap 'pile 'em high/price 'em cheap' cruises, and whatever it claims, it ultimately brings all of its products to that standard. :cool:

I wouldn't call the Prinsendam an anomalie - I'd call her unique and elegant. I guess if elegance and graced is dated, then she is too. We will happily sail on this ship as long as possible:):)

To start out with, I dont respond to post on here 99% of the times but I am a daily reader of cruise critic, and I recieve all the updates that cruise critic puts on Facebook. I keep up, above, and beyond on cruise news. I visit many different cruise websites every single day.

After reading all the negative reviews of Zuiderdam, I have now decided that I am going to cancel my cruise on the Zuiderdam. have room # 7045 booked which is a Penthouse Suite, and spending that kind of money, I dont wont to go on a ship that smells like sewage. While this wont affect how I feel about Holland America, or any other cruise line, I plan to re-book on a "different ship". Vacations are special, and I dont wont to take a 50-50 chance on if the Zuiderdam will be a great cruise or not. By reading all these reviews the past few months, it sounds like Zuiderdam should have went in Dry Dock several months ago to correct these problems.

So that any members on here dont mistaken me............I am NOT bashing or saying anything negative about Holland America. All that I am saying is, I will be re-booking my cruise on a different ship, and chances are, it will be with Princess Cruise Lines (Coral or Island Princess) simply because Princess & HAL are the only lines that do round trip Panama Canal Cruises from Florida.

Jeff

I can't say that I blame you for "jumping ship.". For my husband and me, 2012 is the first time in 23 years that we don't have a HAL cruise booked and don't plan on booking one. Like you, we don't want to take a chance on booking a cruise cabin that does not have the basic necessities. Been there, done that in 2010 on the Rotterdam! Many CC posters have voiced their opinions that things like no A/C or functioning toilet in your cabin are no big deal, should be expected, and should have no effect on your vacation!:eek::confused: My answer is, YES it is a big deal, NO I will not lower my expectations in order to "expect" a non-functioning cabin, and YES it certainly does have a negative effect on your cruise!

I think maybe it's time to start investigating other cruise lines. Think I'll take a look at Oceania.

...we just want to let others know that the Zuiderdam does continue to have these problems. Because I am a new poster I was taken aback by some of the "non-trustworthiness" comments...BUT...those of us who were on the ship for those 18 days know what we had to deal with.

Resolving A/C and plumbing issues will take much longer than a 7-10 day drydock. What the staff told you was correct. Therein lies the real issue. HAL is probably not prepared to take the ships out of revenue service for a longer period.

They will do some band aid work, then budget for some additonal OBC credits to be handed out to the poor souls who end up in the flood zones or the no A/C areas and who complain loud enough.

Maybe after this cruise they will finally do something to fix the problems once and for all, given the number of incidents and complaints. The ship needs to be dry-docked for an extended period and not just getting band-aid fixes.

I find it interesting and actually quite puzzling that HAL is willingly continuing to sail the ship with such widespread mechanical/sanitation/comfort issues. This is a time when direct competitors are taking ships out of service for long drydocks to perform major upgrades and overhauls. Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival are currently all in a multi-year process of upgrading their fleets. There may be others as well, but those are the lines I know about without doing any research.:o At some point cruisers are going to decide even the greatest itinerary isn't enough to risk major plumbing or A/C issues on a cruise and look elsewhere.

Here is the result of a bit of research from American Express....seems to be related to what is happening/not happening with HAL....see if you agree..

==============

Americans aren't too happy with customer service, according to a recent American Express survey, but a Florida Atlantic University professor suggests businesses can turn that around by following three simple steps.

First, managers should reach out to the unhappy customers "very quickly," said FAU’s Peter Ricci, who has more than 20 years of hospitality managerial experience, from food service to lodging. The manager should "first apologize and then own the problem," he recently wrote in an e-mail. "Then it is his or her duty to carry through the problem resolution to the end."

Business also need to set up an easy system for consumers to complain and then have their issues resolved. "They shouldn't be 'left hanging,'" Ricci added. The company also should remove any "arduous process" that will keeps customers from even trying to get their complaint resolved. Those roadblocks will keep customers from returning, he warned.

Finally, he said, it's not enough that businesses are on Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites. They also need to be actively interactive with customers – especially those with complaints. It’s not enough for companies to promise to look into an issue or to write, "We have not heard that previously and apologize," Ricci said, "and then leave the guest hanging without ever resolving to the guest's satisfaction."

The reason: The American Express Global Customer Service Barometer shows Americans are increasingly voicing their discontent. They will tell an average of 24 people about poor experiences -- a 50 percent jump from a year ago, according to the poll of 1,000 people nationwide.

And, Ricci said, there is a reward for responding "quickly, professionally and thoroughly" to a complaint. Research shows that unhappy consumers who are treated well are more likely to become a repeat customer than someone who never had a problem, the professor said.

Thanks for posting this. Two things jumped out at me. OWN THE PROBLEM. When you have a problem or complaint, nobody will say "I'm sorry" because that's admitting you really DO have a problem and that they might have to do something to correct it. Instead, they try to make you go away. This drives me crazy.

The other is the last paragraph. Let's face it, things do go wrong. How the problem is handled means a lot to me.

I think this is a big problem for HAL as they try to position themselves a step above the mass market lines "A Signature of Excellence". As said other lines are spending lots to upgrade their ships while HAL isn't even fixing them. They can only ride on a smiling crew so long. I wonder why Carnival is letting this brand go to pot?