Zuiderdam - still has awful toilet issues!!

Portas

This smell is more noticeable on the lower decks when we have run into it.

Makes sense as gravity would be pulling everything down, so the lower you go on the ship the more likely you would find a clog somewhere. I wonder if while flushing adding some extra water to make up for the low flow toilets would help? No idea for certain just a thought.

I always try to make the best of any cruise experience; but sometimes there

are enough negatives to outweight the positives.

Pete

I couldn't agree with you more! Seems to me that HAL has taken cost-cutting to a level where it impacts negatively on the passenger cruise experience. Too many negatives tip the balance to the unacceptable side. I believe this is happening with HAL and I'm sure with many other cruise lines, as well.

All we really care about is having a good cruise. Don't really want any plumbing, HVAC, or engine problems. That is for HAL to worry about as they try to live up to the expectations that they have set. We don't want excuses, whys, or wherefores....we just want a functioning cabin and a functioning ship. That is what we pay for, that is what we expect.

Exactly... I don't even want to think about these things while cruising.

I always try to make the best of any cruise experience; but sometimes there are enough negatives to outweight the positives.

Again: Exactly...

The company that I worked with for many years made a science out of gauging and measuring customer satisfaction.

95 percent was at the bottom of the range for both commercial and consumer products. 97 and above was where the needle had to be.

And frankly, a cruise only cares about their personal satisfaction.

There may be a 95 percent customer sat on my cruise, but if my A/C and Plumbing do not work frankly I could care less about the others on the cruise. I am ONLY interested in MY cabin, or if travelling with friends, our cabins. And I want it to work from the moment I get on the ship until the moment I leave. So far, this has been the case on every cruise that we have taken.

Excuses and statistics do not cut it when you get off a two week cruise and you toilet and A/C have not functioned all or part of the time.

Edited by iancal

An Old Surgeons saying before an operation: There is a 5% risk of you dying and if you're in this 5% you don't give a DAM about the 95% .. :)

Way too many cheerleaders and apologists on these boards.

Way too many cheerleaders and apologists on these boards.
Agreed! I'm all for giving praise when it is warranted, but I won't say something is wonderful when it is not. I am very troubled to see so many reported incidents of HAL cabins that are without the basic necessities. HAL has always been a class act cruise line in the past. I am saddened to see the direction that HAL seems to be going.

Surely this problem isn't isolated to the passenger staterooms and common areas. I'm sure the crew are victims of these issues as well. I wonder how the captain responds when his commode sits unflushed for hours or a day or two.

Since you mention the captain I wonder where the captains quarters are typically on the Zuiderdam or her sister ships ? Bet someone here knows .

The challenge for HAL is that traditional marketing says that unhappy customers tell approximately 9 people-they volunteer the data. This is exactly what happened to me two or three years ago when a business associate volunteered that he and his spouse had a less than satisfactory cruise on the Veendam-A/C and plumbing issues. What bothered him most is after returning home and doing some research he found that the problem had been going on in the area where his cabin was located for some time.....and it probably still is. He and his wife never did take another HAL cruise-they switched to another line.

Happy customers may tell one other person if asked.

Edited by iancal

The challenge for HAL is that traditional marketing says that unhappy customers tell approximately 9 people-they volunteer the data. This is exactly what happened to me two or three years ago when a business associate volunteered that he and his spouse had a less than satisfactory cruise on the Veendam-A/C and plumbing issues. What bothered him most is after returning home and doing some research he found that the problem had been going on in the area where his cabin was located for some time.....and it probably still is. He and his wife never did take another HAL cruise-they switched to another line. What bothered him most was that the problem was known and nothing was done about it.

Happy customers may tell one other person if asked.

Opps...was his area near cabin 593 on the Veendam?

I find it very strange that Laffnvegas hasn't reported any sewage smell from her "live" report.???:confused:

there might be no issues in her cabin (at least I hope so;) - sorry no fingers crossed icon). that's part of the issue. Not everyone has a problem - but those that do are certainly enduring a lot:(

Nooooo. That sounds like a nightmare. It's hard to imagine anything worse, really, especially if you are traveling with a friend or God forbid, first cruise with a new love interest.....

Definitely write a letter or four.

Sorry things turned out this way but you are doing everyone a favor by coming back and posting this. Please post a review in the review section as well.

Edited by Seago2

Cannot remember...I think it was five something. Does not matter as we decided not to bother with that particular HAL ship.

Actually, the reason I asked was because we ARE booked in 593. I was wondering for myself :)

We are just home from 18 days on the Zuiderdam and were very disappointed that we experienced approximately 90% of our cruise with a toilet that would not flush. Sometimes it would take "hours"!! Most of the days...nothing would happen... We are experienced cruisers and know very well not to 'push' the button more than once, nor do we overload with paper. We also experienced many many afternoons and evenings with a "sewer smell" (which was very strong) in our cabin. I did take wet towels and cover the bathroom drains but finally figured out that the "smell" was actually coming through the air conditioning vent system :eek: My DH was not too convinced on that until we went down to the Future Cruise Consultant desk. The elevator area on midship deck 4 smelled horrible and once we arrived a few decks lower and were seated talking to the cruise consultant the smell was overwhelming.While sitting there talking with her she told us that the sewer smell was making her feel ill!! She also said that she reported it because it was so strong in her desk area but was told it was simply a 'black water' smell and would not affect her ~ nor make her ill. Gads! it was awful!

I do try and understand that lots of huge mechanical issues may happen with a big ship that is on the go constantly. (Air conditioning was another issue that the Zuiderdam had to correct. We had a full day in port without any air-conditioning while they replaced units).

BUT...this ship has had horrible sewage issues reported here on the boards for quite some time. We kept our booking on this cruise because there were reports on this board that things 'were fixed'... unfortunately we found that they were not.

Quite the health issue, in my opinion. Toilets not working in cabin and even several of the public area toilets were inoperable also.:mad: I just deplore spending our cruise vacation money expecting a "wonderful" experience and have to deal with sewage issues ~ not something I want my vacation spoiled by.:(:(:(

I must admit that I am glad I booked my "Inside Passage" during July on the m.s. VOLENDAM

Before my cruise in 2008, I was a bit apprehensive about cruising because I was reading a lot about the kinds of problems being reported on this thread. I now have three cruises behind me, and fortunately never had to deal with these kinds of issues. However, this discussion and others on the cruise forums, has definitely discouraged my from continuing to cruise. I figure my luck is bound to run out one day. I am a pretty easy going person, but I would find it difficult to deal with these problems.

You know what they say in finance...figures lie and liars figure.

Statistics mean absolutely nothing to someone who has saved and saved only to have their cruise vacation ruined because of A/C and plumbing issues.

Those people don't shrug their shoulders and say oh well I am glad that the other cruisers had a good time. I don't suppose that they would readily accept this as an excuse.

I wouldn't. What I would do is tell/warn my friends and vote with my feet. That is the probably the typical reaction.

That kind of explanation is pure hogwash.

Think of buying a car, you invest your hard earned dollars in something you expect to work yet the seller knows it doesn't, shame on the seller and who would go back to that dealer. Same here, you invest your hard earned money on a vacation, you expect the ship to work yet the cruise line knows it doesn't, shame on the line and who would go back to them? I guess some people want to pay for best and take 2 or3 best and try to convince themselves and others they got the best. Who can figure what their movation is?

Think of buying a car, you invest your hard earned dollars in something you expect to work yet the seller knows it doesn't, shame on the seller and who would go back to that dealer. Same here, you invest your hard earned money on a vacation, you expect the ship to work yet the cruise line knows it doesn't, shame on the line and who would go back to them? I guess some people want to pay for best and take 2 or3 best and try to convince themselves and others they got the best. Who can figure what their movation is?

Simple solution. Only book cruises on lines offering a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee. Then everything is in place up front.