Zuiderdam - still has awful toilet issues!!

Portas

Simple solution. Only book cruises on lines offering a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee. Then everything is in place up front.

What lines offer this kind of guarantee? I'm guessing it would be the very expensive super-luxury cruise lines?

Seriously, I really doubt she would.

Why do you say that? There's another post agreeing - not sure I get it - I've usually found her to be quite forthright in her posts (or am I missing the boat:eek:)

I find it very strange that Laffnvegas hasn't reported any sewage smell from her "live" report.???:confused:

I just got off the Zuiderdam this morning after doing the Pacific Coastal. It all depends on what cabin you are in whether you smell the sewage, having a/c problems, or toilets that don't flush. Lisa could very well be in a cabin that has no issues-lucky for her.

For us, we were in cabin 5185 aft-the first day the toilet would take 2 hours before it flushed. After that usually 2-10 minutes except on our last day when we were going to disembark-it was over 2 hours and still hadn't flushed when we left (yes, we notified the front office again and luckily there wasn't anything too bad in the toilet :eek:).

During my 4 days on the ship when I talked to many people I asked if they had issues while on their Panama part of the ship and the majority said the toilets delay in flushing and the a/c just prior to going through the Canal. The ones I talked to all had fans delivered to their rooms until the a/c was working again. In our room (I like a real cool room) we had the a/c set to as cool as it would go and it never ended up being too cold which makes me wonder if it would even keep the room cool in the hot Panama Canal?

We did smell sewage in our bathroom but it was minor enough that it didn't affect us.

I saw Lisa just before we left as she was getting ready to move from one cabin to another for her Alaska part of her cruise. Again, it all depends on the luck (or bad luck) of the draw on whether the cabin you are in is affected.

I still have not made up my mind on whether to keep the deposit on the Zuiderdam for next year Panama Canal or not and will be monitoring CC to see in the upcoming months the reports.

Is that what Costa told the families of the victims of the Concordia disaster?

Don't fret, less than 5 percent of cruise ships sink.

No, that is not what Costa told its passengers.

However for some reason I am reminded of a tour I took to Russia in 1976 at the height of the very acrimonious Cold War. I was on a Swiss tour at that time, but we could see other groups of American tourists at the various stops we visited. Plus in those days, they typically dressed in red, white and blue polyester. (Oh that 70's show!)

Our Swiss guide asked me, knowing I was an American, why the American tour groups were always so unhappy and complaining about everything when they came to Russia. Why were they spending so much money to come and not try to enjoy themselves once they arrived, she went on?

She was truly perplexed because Russian visits were fascinating at that time. Cynically I replied, I think this is why they come. They want to find things wrong with Russia and will be able to dine out on those front-line Cold War stories once they get home. Sometimes people do travel to be unhappy. Just saying.

Oh I see it now. Some of the folks who got stuck in rooms with A/C and plumbing issues for 12 days were not really unhappy about it.

They were happy,,,,because it gave them something to complain about.

Sorry it took me so long to figure that one out.

Why do you say that? There's another post agreeing - not sure I get it - I've usually found her to be quite forthright in her posts (or am I missing the boat:eek:)

Perhaps you are missing a little. If I had her job, I'd be walking from deck to deck, sniffing and checking all public washrooms so that I could offer first hand observations to all my clients. Not everyone can afford the upper decks and suite catagories!

is the Zuiderdam due for a make over any time soon. She should be pulled out of service. why is HAL letting this continue?

Mary

I was just informed ( by HAL's chat line) that the Zuiderdam is scheduled for drydock from Nov.30th to Dec.10th 2012. when i asked what type of service and if 10 days would be sufficient to deal with major issues such as A/C and toilets I was told to contact Ships Services on Monday'

We too have a booking on the Zuiderdam next spring so are very concerned about these issues. Have to also add that we have happily sailed HAL for over 25 years and have have very few problems, certainly nothing like the current issues which seem not to be just limited to one ship.

Hi

I am not doubting you but on the HAL site there are two cruises to Panama November 9th Nov 19 10 day cruise

November 19- 11 day cruise.

Mary

Those people on thoses two cruises better be told soon.

Edited by Watson's aunt
mistake on dates

Hi

I am not doubting you but on the HAL site there are two cruises to Panama November 9th Nov 19 10 day cruise

Mary

not sure if your post is referring to mine about the dry docking but if it is, the last Zuiderdam cruise would end November 30 and the ship would then be serviced from that date until December 10th. Therefore the two preceding cruises (11/9 & 11/19) would still be a go!

yes I am but on Hal website it has a cruise on December 10 cruise 19 days and december 21 cruise 11 days.

my brother is on the January cruise

HAl gave you wrong information I feel bad for people on these cruises if that is true.. I do believe you

Mary

yes I am but on Hal website it has a cruise on December 10 cruise 19 days and december 21 cruise 11 days.

my brother is on the January cruise

HAl gave you wrong information I feel bad for people on these cruises if that is true.. I do believe you

Mary

Well ,if the dry docking goes from Nov.30 to Dec,10th, presuming it is local, then the Zuiderdam would be able to sail again on the 10th of December.

I must admit I am a little confused about the sailing dates of 12/10 for 19 days and a second cruise begining on 12/21. Seems to me that first cruise will not be completed until 12/29????

Well ,if the dry docking goes from Nov.30 to Dec,10th, presuming it is local, then the Zuiderdam would be able to sail again on the 10th of December.

I must admit I am a little confused about the sailing dates of 12/10 for 19 days and a second cruise begining on 12/21. Seems to me that first cruise will not be completed until 12/29????

It might be a Collectors cruise where for guests going b-to-b, it is combined and set up as one cruise while others may sail either the first or the second segment. It can be confusing when looking at the scheduling if a given cruise has been combined into a Collectors.

I haven't checked those particular cruises or looked at Zuiderdam's itineraries but suggest that as a possibility.

It might be a Collectors cruise where for guests going b-to-b, it is combined and set up as one cruise while others may sail either the first or the second segment. It can be confusing when looking at the scheduling if a given cruise has been combined into a Collectors.

I haven't checked those particular cruises or looked at Zuiderdam's itineraries but suggest that as a possibility.

Quite possible, Sail. and since it is Holiday time any combination is likely!

I think you can expect nothing but positive reports about the Zuiderdam from Lisa. The PR machine is at work. James Deering is failing in his duties as Hotel Manager but it was interesting to watch some of the intense conversations taking place. In his eyes, and that transcends to his front office staff, the customer is always wrong. He is well aware of all the criticism on Cruise Critic and I am positive he is taking steps to dilute some of it.

There was also a very silly decision to make the last formal night for the 22-day transit a formal "optional" night to appease the 4-day segment passengers. It was more the dumbing-down of HAL. Smart casual would have been fine along with those who chose to stick to formal. But instead it was translated as jeans and t-shirts were OK for the MDR, and some even wore ball caps. And all were allowed.

I think you can expect nothing but positive reports about the Zuiderdam from Lisa. The PR machine is at work. James Deering is failing in his duties as Hotel Manager but it was interesting to watch some of the intense conversations taking place. In his eyes, and that transcends to his front office staff, the customer is always wrong. He is well aware of all the criticism on Cruise Critic and I am positive he is taking steps to dilute some of it.

There was also a very silly decision to make the last formal night for the 22-day transit a formal "optional" night to appease the 4-day segment passengers. It was more the dumbing-down of HAL. Smart casual would have been fine along with those who chose to stick to formal. But instead it was translated as jeans and t-shirts were OK for the MDR, and some even wore ball caps. And all were allowed.

What a strange experience for formal night.

Very rude to wear ball caps when inside.

Interesting comments about the HM and the front office staff:eek: That's really sad if that was the attitude.

Too bad about the formal 'optional' night - ball caps:confused: Yuck:eek:

thanks and welcome home:)

Hi

Mary

We're on the 11/9 cruise, and these postings are giving us a huge case of "cold feet." We wouldn't be too crazy about going on any ship just before dry dock, but in the face of all the plumbing and a/c posts on the Zuiderdam, really don't know .......

HALs cost cutting is now beginning seriously to compromise its overall product. Whether the issues being raised here are valid or not (and I believe they are) HAL is facing a PR disaster if they don't do something to address the concerns and be seen to be doing something. The word is out that HAL is sailing into very troubled waters and no longer provides the high standards they used to be justly proud of. It's a slippery slope......

Too bad you had to have skeeter and his ball cap to finish off your cruise. This is worse than toilet or A/C problems.