Holding my breath....

Maddie444

With only 6 days to go, we may have to cancel our cruise on the Dawn to Bermuda:( My husband and I booked this cruise for my brother who is going thru treatment for Cancer. Last night he was admitted to the hospital because he hasn't been able to keep anything down for the last 5 days. We're hoping the Dr. can help him. I'm glad we bought the insurance for ourselves and my brother and his wife. Has anyone ever had this happen? If we have to cancel, do we call our agent or the insurance company (Travel Guard)

We're crossing our fingers my brother will be able to have this special time with his wife....

Maddie

I am sorry and know what a stressful time it is for all of you. We had to cancel a 14 day Eastern Med cruise on the Jade last year 2 weeks before sailing. We booked directly through NCL and called them, they immediately refunded 80%. Then we called the insurance co. who was not connected with NCL and they sent a form for our doctor to fill out, when we returned it, the balance of our money was paid a couple of weeks later. We are sold on trip insurance as you never know and this eliminates a big worry.

We were flying on mileage, so called BA and they refunded the miles in full.

End of this story, is that we are sailing on the Jade for back to back Eastern Med on the 19th, nearly a year exactly from the date we originally planned. This cruise has so much meaning for us because of this.

Hope all goes well for all of you.

I wish your brother health. I can definitely understand your "breathless" comment.

I would go ahead and call TravelGuard. Your brother may be cleared to go with you explicitly for rest and relaxation, but may have specific stipulations from his doctor that you need to arrange quickly for him. TravelGuard's concierge service may assist you with those arrangements. Either way, the trip insurance company needs to talk to your brother's doctor.

I hope this trip works out for all 4 of you.

Wishing the best for all of you.

Was your brother's diagnosis before you bought the insurance? If so, make sure your policy covers his pre-existing condition.

If cancellation must be done, call the agent who booked the cruise. The cruise should be cancelled before the insurance claim is initiated.

Unfortunately, many of us on CC have faced canceling a cruise for one reason or another. Sickness or death never come at a good time.

Thank You! ♥♥♥

Yes, this is pre-existing condition, which they know about. We are going to give it a couple days before we make up our minds to cancel or not. Hopefully we won't have to cancel...

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I want to wish your brother good health. I hope he's feeling much better and you'll all be able to go on the cruise without a hitch.

Fingers crossed.

Best of luck to your brother, my best friend is going thru chemo for colon cancer as a I type. I've got a stupid question, would you the OP cancel the cruise for the 4 of you or just your brother and his wife? I'm assuming the insurance covers all parties not just the one person who can't make it?

With only 6 days to go, we may have to cancel our cruise on the Dawn to Bermuda:( My husband and I booked this cruise for my brother who is going thru treatment for Cancer. Last night he was admitted to the hospital because he hasn't been able to keep anything down for the last 5 days. We're hoping the Dr. can help him. I'm glad we bought the insurance for ourselves and my brother and his wife. Has anyone ever had this happen? If we have to cancel, do we call our agent or the insurance company (Travel Guard)

We're crossing our fingers my brother will be able to have this special time with his wife....

Maddie

I'm sorry, Maddie. Will keep your brother in my prayers for a recovery ...

Best of luck to your brother, my best friend is going thru chemo for colon cancer as a I type. I've got a stupid question, would you the OP cancel the cruise for the 4 of you or just your brother and his wife? I'm assuming the insurance covers all parties not just the one person who can't make it?

I would be canceling for all of us.

Maddie, I sure wish I knew, but it looks like other posters were able to give some helpful info. My prayers are with your family. I just lost my dad to cancer only a little over a month ago, and know how stressful it can be on the family. I hope y'all can all make the cruise, as I'm sure it will provide some much needed relaxation for all of you.

I would like to thank everyone for their well wishes..... ♥

My brother is still in the hospital..... The dr.'s can't find out what wrong!

Looks like we will be canceling our cruise.(3 days to go) I talked to both our Agent and Travel Guard and they were both so nice.

I'm sure glad we bought the trip insurance..... You never know when your going to will need it. I would of been out over $6,000 if we didn't get it!

Hugs,

Maddie

I would be canceling for all of us.

I am so sorry to hear about your brother.I hope the doctors can find the problem. I am sure he has a lot of thoughts and prayers coming his way from all the good members of Cruise Critic.

Being that you were still able to travel, was your your insurance a " Cancel for any reason?" policy? Just curious what type you purchased that allowed you to cancel also.

Please come back and let us know how your brother is doing. Wishing you all well.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived