Noro virus on westerdam

B-May

We just got off the worse cruise of our lives - albeit it was a 1-niter so you can expect crap! I have cruised many times, on various cruiselines so know what to expect on 1-niters (I shud know better by now!) I won't go into details of all the issues and how HAL would not remedy or gave a dam (this was Vancouver-Seattle) - the ship did come in late from San Diego due to weather and we were the last to board at 9 pm. (it was a birthday I'll never forget!). I'm sure others will fill in details BUT

Since we had nothing to do in our suite we thot we'd watch some movies and tried to order some dvds at 1230am. Guest services informed us that due to many passengers on the ship having contracted the noro virus and being quarantined, which the cruiseline figured came from passengers handling unclean dvds, that they were not giving them out to be safe.

HUH? Sounds pretty fishy to me - but to tell a guest it was noro. I think HAL needs to go back to guest relations school and know what to say to passengers. UNBELIEVABLE! I'm sure some people would have panicked if told that - true or not!

Nothing fishy here. The Westerdam has had a recent spate of the norrovirus. It was reported in another thread that passengers were boarded late in San Diego (sailing to Vancouver) to allow for deep cleaning. Sounds like they had to do more deep cleaning in Vancouver.

Don't blame HAL for the norrovirus as it was most likely brought on board by passengers. Just be glad they saved you from that misery with all the deep cleaning precautions.

Seriously. A one night cruise and you are complaining so bitterly? Try a longer cruise next time before bothering to post a review.

igraf

We just got off the worse cruise of our lives - albeit it was a 1-niter so you can expect crap! I have cruised many times, on various cruiselines so know what to expect on 1-niters (I shud know better by now!) I won't go into details of all the issues and how HAL would not remedy or gave a dam (this was Vancouver-Seattle) - the ship did come in late from San Diego due to weather and we were the last to board at 9 pm. (it was a birthday I'll never forget!). I'm sure others will fill in details BUT

Since we had nothing to do in our suite we thot we'd watch some movies and tried to order some dvds at 1230am. Guest services informed us that due to many passengers on the ship having contracted the noro virus and being quarantined, which the cruiseline figured came from passengers handling unclean dvds, that they were not giving them out to be safe.

HUH? Sounds pretty fishy to me - but to tell a guest it was noro. I think HAL needs to go back to guest relations school and know what to say to passengers. UNBELIEVABLE! I'm sure some people would have panicked if told that - true or not!

My daughter and SIL just got home from the same cruise. He received an email on Thursday saying they wouldn't BOARD until 5:30PM. His mom and dad were on the cruise with them. He had her call and ask 1) does the ship get in at 5:30? Or does boarding start at 5:30.... They were assured multiple times BOARDING at 5:30. They got to the port at 5:00 only to see the beginning of the debarkation process.

They were finally on the ship at 8:30PM, MDR at 8:45 only to see them close the doors at 9:00PM. They had other friends on the ship and none of the cabins had room service menus. SIL did call for room service. Was on hold for 15 min and gave up.

They were never told anything about a Noro outbreak.

I feel so sorry for you and any other passengers that were on for the 1 nighter. Certainly not what you expected. We were on the Zuiderdam and wondered how the Westie made out. We were in quite rough seas as she was and we had to miss a port because of the weather. The Westerdam didn't have that leeway and we heard this morning she was very late getting into Vancouver last night.

That's sad too about the other poster saying they couldn't get room service either. Not good at all.

Nothing fishy here. The Westerdam has had a recent spate of the norrovirus. It was reported in another thread that passengers were boarded late in San Diego (sailing to Vancouver) to allow for deep cleaning. Sounds like they had to do more deep cleaning in Vancouver.

Don't blame HAL for the norrovirus as it was most likely brought on board by passengers. Just be glad they saved you from that misery with all the deep cleaning precautions.

Seriously. A one night cruise and you are complaining so bitterly? Try a longer cruise next time before bothering to post a review.

igraf

:eek:

And I was always under the impression HAL cruisers had a little more class and dignity than other cruisers.

My daughter and SIL just got home from the same cruise. He received an email on Thursday saying they wouldn't BOARD until 5:30PM. His mom and dad were on the cruise with them. He had her call and ask 1) does the ship get in at 5:30? Or does boarding start at 5:30.... They were assured multiple times BOARDING at 5:30. They got to the port at 5:00 only to see the beginning of the debarkation process.

They were finally on the ship at 8:30PM, MDR at 8:45 only to see them close the doors at 9:00PM. They had other friends on the ship and none of the cabins had room service menus. SIL did call for room service. Was on hold for 15 min and gave up.

We got off the Westerdam yesterday after the 3( and a half) day cruise. There had been an outbreak of Norovirus on the ship during the previous Panama Canal segment. After a deep cleaning in SanDiego all seemed to be fine. We did not have salt, pepper, bread,butter or cream/sugar on the dining tables until the 2nd evening of the cruise for this reason. There was no Norovirus during our cruise at all. The DVD explanation seems strange considering the library was still letting books out. I wonder if it was just because they didn't want to let the DVDs out for a short cruise like that. Usually they have to be turned in the evening before debarkation anyway. If this was the case, an honest answer for the OP would have been better.

As far as the expected boarding times, it sounds like a communication error. On Wednesday afternoon we were told that we would be arriving in Vancouver at 10 am rather than 7 am. By Thursday after a very rough night requiring the ship to travel at only 65% of her usual speed we were told arrival would be at 6 pm. Friday they said we would arrive at 4:30 and this was fairly accurate. They told us they were hoping to embark the overnight guests starting at 7:30. I don't know why anyone told you 5:30.

I do know I would never want to do a one nighter. They almost always board late, usually due to being the first cruises of the season and operations at the port not quite being as smooth as they are later on. If you look at it as a chance for $39 overnight tour of the ship it is fine, but expectations should be kept low IMHO.

$39 and someone bothers to claim it was the worst cruise in their life. I must be missing something. Oh yes, the cruiser is missing $39 - but I guess they got a bed and at least two meals, right? For $39. You can't travel overnight between Seattle and Vancouver on Amtrak for that amount of money and get a full bed and two sit-down elegant meals. Oh well.

So there was no way for them to have dinner anywhere on the ship?

So there was no way for them to have dinner anywhere on the ship?

I would doubt it.

Open Seating in the dining closes at 9 -- and many times they close the doors before 9 PM.

Lido dining closes at 8:30.

That leaves Room Service -- and with so many people possibly calling for room service -- they may have been swamped.

On Code Red the ship can only do so much.

We have been on the Westerdam on the repositioning cruises when passengers get off in Cancouver and others get on for the 1 night cruise. In fact we had nearly 500 do this 1 night cruise. It would be very hard for the crew to handle that many dinners at such a late time.

Sorry that you had such a bad experince for a 1 night cruise.

Hope that if you ever do such a cruise again you will have a better experince.

$39 and someone bothers to claim it was the worst cruise in their life. I must be missing something. Oh yes, the cruiser is missing $39 - but I guess they got a bed and at least two meals, right? For $39. You can't travel overnight between Seattle and Vancouver on Amtrak for that amount of money and get a full bed and two sit-down elegant meals. Oh well.

Ouch! That was not very nice.

Only the lowest categories were $39.

In addition to that $39 was an additional $52 in port charges and whatever it cost for transportation ($40 or $50?).

Pretty darn expensive 12 hours.........and a lot of standing around waiting to board.

A one night cruise is tough for all, but one expects to at least have a nice sit down dinner.

From what it sounds like they did not have any good meals and a short night's sleep to boot.

By the time some folks knew the Westerdam was going to be late into port, some had already started their travels or could not change their plans.

We were booked on this cruise to "check out" Holland America, but opted to cancel (with full refund) when we heard it was having issues.

There was not even any mention of Noro either. Not good!

Quick Shuttle being the great folks they are, allowed us to have a future credit for up to a year (which we will use to do the Golden Princess 4 day in about 10 days).

Fortunately, we did have the flexibility to change our plans as we live in Seattle and our travel agent was right on top of things.

The last thing someone who has experienced a bad cruise wants to hear is criticism, particularly when they had no control over the situation.

A little empathy goes a long way...........we have all had some "bad" experiences on our cruises.

I am so sorry you had a bad cruise, B-May. Hope the next one makes up for it.

In addition to that $39 was an additional $52 in port charges and whatever it cost for transportation ($40 or $50?).

Pretty darn expensive 12 hours.........and a lot of standing around waiting to board.

A one night cruise is tough for all, but one expects to at least have a nice sit down dinner.

From what it sounds like they did not have any good meals and a short night's sleep to boot.

By the time some folks knew the Westerdam was going to be late into port, some had already started their travels or could not change their plans.

We were booked on this cruise to "check out" Holland America, but opted to cancel (with full refund) when we heard it was having issues.

There was not even any mention of Noro either. Not good!

Quick Shuttle being the great folks they are, allowed us to have a future credit for up to a year (which we will use to do the Golden Princess 4 day in about 10 days).

Fortunately, we did have the flexibility to change our plans as we live in Seattle and our travel agent was right on top of things.

The last thing someone who has experienced a bad cruise wants to hear is criticism, particularly when they had no control over the situation.

A little empathy goes a long way...........we have all had some "bad" experiences on our cruises.

I am so sorry you had a bad cruise, B-May. Hope the next one makes up for it.

There was no mention of Norovirus because it was no longer an issue. Precautions were still being taken at the beginning of our cruise, but there had been no cases since the Panama Canal segment.

I wish I had kept the explorer for yesterday, but I thought they had the Lido open for extended hours. It is very unfortunate they couldn't have kept the restaurant open a little later though.

Im glad you were able to cancel your cruise. I hope you enjoy the Golden Princess. She is a very pretty ship.

Why HAL does these 1 night cruises is a mystery. It's the same story every single year.

People pay between $39- $99 and they want Emeril Lagasse cooking at their private table,and have HAL resurrect the Rat Pack and fly them in for the nights entertainment.

HAL give the poor crew the day off,putting up with this bunch for 24 hours is way too long.

I would doubt it.

Open Seating in the dining closes at 9 -- and many times they close the doors before 9 PM.

Lido dining closes at 8:30.

That leaves Room Service -- and with so many people possibly calling for room service -- they may have been swamped.

On Code Red the ship can only do so much.

We have been on the Westerdam on the repositioning cruises when passengers get off in Cancouver and others get on for the 1 night cruise. In fact we had nearly 500 do this 1 night cruise. It would be very hard for the crew to handle that many dinners at such a late time.

So......

It seems there were a number of people who had nowhere to have dinner from what you and OP have said. OP said the dining room doors were closed at 9 but they had not boarded until about 8:30. S-I-L could not get Room Service on the phone and Lido would be closed. The doors to lower level in Dining Room would also be closed.

Yes, I agree. It was an impossible situation for the crew but, nevertheless, no one expects to be hungry on a cruise ship.

Why HAL does these 1 night cruises is a mystery. It's the same story every single year.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I do feel badly for the posters who had a less than satisfactory cruise. The 1 or 2 night cruises have no appeal to me as more often then not the reports from these cruises are negative. Unless of course I was doing what Lisa and others are doing, tacking them on to the beginning of a 7 or 10 day voyage.

HAL is not responsible for your transportation charges. Deduct that amount from your total, please.

Lowest categories inside cabins are perfectly fine rooms for an overnight cruise. Your travel agent may not have given you good advice to book anything higher. Apparently you don't yet understand sea travel, if you complain about "standing around waiting to board". There are good travel books out there devoted just to cruise travel. I think only the jungle cruise line at Disneyland can take the unpredictability factor out of cruising on open waters in big ships.

And I thought the carnival and loyal royal crowds were tough. This board makes them look like amateurs.

The ONLY expectation would be "communication".

My kids live in the Seattle area. They made arrangements for overnight care of their 16 month old. Took time off from work. Rented a car one way to Vancouver. Arranged for transportation from port of Seattle to pick up their car.

To say their only cost was $39 is just plain stupid. Yes, STUPID!

The fact that the ship was late getting to Vancouver is/was a non issue. The inability to affectivly communicate to the guests is inexcusable. Especially when one calls for correct information. Had correct information been provided, guests could have delayed arriving at the port. Guests could have had the opportunity to sightsee and grab some dinner. Instead, they sat trapped in a stuffy warehouse for 3 hours, being told nothing of what was happening or what the plans or timing was. They were told numerous times that dining and entertainment venue hours would be extended. Which was bad information at best, outright lie at worst.

For the most part, HAL has a good rep. However, to maintain that rep, they need to learn from mistakes when they do occur. If the corporate people don't hear of issues or concerns, they can't provide a better product next time a situation occurs.

HAL is not responsible for your transportation charges. Deduct that amount from your total, please.

Lowest categories inside cabins are perfectly fine rooms for an overnight cruise. Your travel agent may not have given you good advice to book anything higher. Apparently you don't yet understand sea travel, if you complain about "standing around waiting to board". There are good travel books out there devoted just to cruise travel. I think only the jungle cruise line at Disneyland can take the unpredictability factor out of cruising on open waters in big ships.

Transportation costs were not added. Just a note to say they existed. Cruise price plus port charges alone are plenty.

Ship was to have been boarded at 1:00PM. Actual boarding at?? 7, 8, 9?

People can choose whatever category they wish and pay whatever they choose. We chose a suite as we wanted to see what it was like for a longer cruise choice.

I have been cruising for many years and have cruised multiple lines...believe me I know what standing around waiting to board can involve. Not to mention hours in the airport, hours waiting for transportation to the ship etc.......

Thanks Sunviking90!

We will have a good time. Have sailed on the Golden before and she is nice ship.

Glad to hear you escaped the Noro. It can be pretty nasty.

It is a little surprising they did not leave the dining room open longer.

Wakepatrol,

The cruise lines need to do these "repositioning" cruises because of our laws.

I don't believe folks that take a one day cruise are really expecting the world. If they do, they need to find another travel agent!

They do expect decent service and adequate food. (It IS a cruise, right?)

Is is interesting what people will excuse on a ship because it is only a one or two day cruise, yet would have a fit if it were a hotel or restaurant for one night or one meal............

It is a very tough job, but the folks that took this cruise worked hard at their own jobs to be able to afford it.

I am not one for slamming the cruise lines, but in this case I think HAL let them down.

Taking a one night cruise sounds nuts to me, but to each his own. However, it's like the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. The pax aren't allowed to board until 8:30 after late arrival due to weather problems, but the dining room still closes at 9 and the Lido even earlier?! The dining room can't adjust its schedule and take care of feeding these pax? This is truly outrageous. No way room service could handle all these new pax. It was known at least the day before and all that day that there would be very late boarding, so this was not a surprise problem that the Hotel Mgr shouldn't have handled appropriately.

Taking a one night cruise sounds nuts to me, but to each his own. However, it's like the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. The pax aren't allowed to board until 8:30 after late arrival due to weather problems, but the dining room still closes at 9 and the Lido even earlier?! The dining room can't adjust its schedule and take care of feeding these pax? This is truly outrageous. No way room service could handle all these new pax. It was known at least the day before and all that day that there would be very late boarding, so this was not a surprise problem that the Hotel Mgr shouldn't have handled appropriately.

I agree! They should have had a bettter plan. I can understand that the dining room might not be able to extend the hours. But you'd think they could keep the Lido going later, even with a reduced menu. There should have been some way to feed the embarking passengers.

Quietly reading this thread and first of all - have to agree with Peaches - no one should be hungry on a cruise ship:eek: and a one night cruise? not my cup of tea either but nevertheless..............

as to the issue of the dvd's - yes, what you were told was true op - it there is NORO or a risk, the library and the dvd's are off limits - nothing can be touched in those areas and they are basically closed (try doing a 20 day with NORO with at least 9 sea days);)

the comment that these boards are rough? hello? i've been to the other boards including Carnival, Celebrity and Costa and although I don't agree with how everyone posts on any board, this one is mild in comparison;) JMHO

So sorry for the op that this happened - I do believe you should be fed. Yes, your price is a bargain - but why wouldn't it be when you are only on for a few hours? But you should still be fed - like others, I wish there was a way HAL didn't have to do these one night stands and give the crew a 24 hour break.. A one night cruise is not my idea of a good time;)

I think a one night cruise sounds like a great way to find out if one likes sailing and if one could handle 4, 7 or more days. Perhaps folks dont have the ability to be away from work or home more than a day or two at a time. I dont think any one is nuts for doing this cruise.

Just because seasoned cruisers seem to know the ins and outs about first sailings of the seasons and the pitfalls that entails does not mean everyone else does and they should not be made fun of/chastised for coming away from a poor experience - whether it was $39 or $3900. However much someone paid I would expect they should have got a dinner at least! The buffet surely could have been opened for longer.

Whether its one night or several nights, I would hope HAL would work to make each experience the best they could. Yes there were problems with the schedule - mitigate that by letting folks know and working to ensure those onboard at least enjoy their night despite the inconveniences.

Quietly reading this thread and first of all - have to agree with Peaches - no one should be hungry on a cruise ship:eek: and a one night cruise? not my cup of tea either but nevertheless..............

as to the issue of the dvd's - yes, what you were told was true op - it there is NORO or a risk, the library and the dvd's are off limits - nothing can be touched in those areas and they are basically closed (try doing a 20 day with NORO with at least 9 sea days);)

This is the part that doesn't make sense to me though. We just got off the ship and the Noro was finished before we boarded in San Diego. The library was open for our entire cruise and books were available.

Archived