allure balcony lock

i read in someone's blog that it's not unheard of that someone locked themselves out in the balcony. how easy would that happen? we plan to chill out in the balcony when LO naps in the room - that's the main reason we booked a balcony cabin anyway. reading about it makes me nervous to leave LO "alone" in the room...

apparently we will have to close the door completely in order for the AC to work... just worried that we will somehow engage the lock...

We were just on the Allure last week and this situation with closing/locking the balcony door had me all freaked out before we sailed.

What I found out when I actually sailed was that if I left my balcony door wide open (which I did by accident one day when I left the cabin) that the a/c did shut off and my room got very humid. However, if I was sitting on the balcony, I kept the door open about an inch and the a/c did not shut off at all. Hope this helps!

We were just on the Allure last week and this situation with closing/locking the balcony door had me all freaked out before we sailed.

What I found out when I actually sailed was that if I left my balcony door wide open (which I did by accident one day when I left the cabin) that the a/c did shut off and my room got very humid. However, if I was sitting on the balcony, I kept the door open about an inch and the a/c did not shut off at all. Hope this helps!

Lucky Duck! Ours did shut off and it was miserable. Almost a deal breaker for me on this class of ships...Poor H said he didn't feel cool the entire time we were on the ship. We're used to keeping it pretty chilly.

i read in someone's blog that it's not unheard of that someone locked themselves out in the balcony. how easy would that happen? we plan to chill out in the balcony when LO naps in the room - that's the main reason we booked a balcony cabin anyway. reading about it makes me nervous to leave LO "alone" in the room...

apparently we will have to close the door completely in order for the AC to work... just worried that we will somehow engage the lock...

I asked that question myself. This is the answer I received from RC:

Guests may set the temperature control in their stateroom. The opening and closing of the balcony door will not change the setting you have selected. It will not shut off the air conditioning. The balcony door does not have to be locked at any time. We just ask that you do not leave the balcony doors open. We want you to be comfortable and to be able to enjoy your wonderful balcony. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

The above might be an answer from RCL, but for Allure and Oasis ocean balconies it is not true. To answer the op's question, it kinda IS unheard of to lock yourself out on the balcony. The door must be locked from the inside. There is really no way to lock it if you are outside. Regarding a/c, in this class of ship in ocean balconies, if the balcony door is not securly LOCKED, the a/c will turn off. I know this because I spoke with maintenance while onboard, as one day it appeared when we came back from dinner that our a/c was not working. I called, and they were not only able to check the status of our a/c function via computer, but also were able to tell me the exact time the balcony door had been unlocked. (Room steward apparently did not lock it securly after doing the nightly service.) They explained to me that the a/c will turn off on Allure if the balcony door is not securly locked. (It also will turn off if you turn off the master switch, but that's a whole other post ; )

I read about the ease of being locked out on the balcony on here a while back. I looked it up and there is a video about how you can get locked out. The video is on you tube and about the Oasis. I am not sure if they fixed the lock since but it does happen.

Looking at how the handle gets to the bottom position is anyone's guess.

I would use my noodle and think kids are involved in any of the incidents where someone is locked out. I could easily see one of my kids hanging on the handle while asking us a question then leave the room, shutting the door behind them.

If you are sailing with family, just make sure everyone is aware of the issue. No hands on the handle rule might be something to order if you have younger kids sailing with you. Yes, it does look like a dingbat way of locking yourself out but with kids... don't put it past them LOL

Is it something to worry about? nooooo

Is it something worth mentioning to your family? yup:D

The above might be an answer from RCL, but for Allure and Oasis ocean balconies it is not true. To answer the op's question, it kinda IS unheard of to lock yourself out on the balcony. The door must be locked from the inside. There is really no way to lock it if you are outside. Regarding a/c, in this class of ship in ocean balconies, if the balcony door is not securly LOCKED, the a/c will turn off. I know this because I spoke with maintenance while onboard, as one day it appeared when we came back from dinner that our a/c was not working. I called, and they were not only able to check the status of our a/c function via computer, but also were able to tell me the exact time the balcony door had been unlocked. (Room steward apparently did not lock it securly after doing the nightly service.) They explained to me that the a/c will turn off on Allure if the balcony door is not securly locked. (It also will turn off if you turn off the master switch, but that's a whole other post ; )

Correctamundo. :)

We were on the Oasis with my mother in 2010. Apparently when she went on the balcony that morning to have her morning smoke (another discussion all together) she did not turn the lock all the way and did, in fact, lock herself out on the balcony. Luckily for her, after a few minutes someone a couple balconies down came outside. She yelled for them to call security to let her in.

It was something we teased her about for the whole cruise. Needless to say, she left the door open from then on.

this was our experience on Allure too.

That was the video I saw. I couldn't remember the title.

As you can see ... it is possible to lock yourself out but if you are aware its unlikely to happen ...unless you have kids who will hang on the handle while talking to you. :D

thanks all, for your replies and links to the video. I have a better idea of how it functions now. however if indeed the door needs to be locked in order for the AC to work, one of us will need to stay in the room anyways as LO will definitely need the AC while he naps... :( hopefully our cabin is not one of those..

Archived