Grandeur Replacing Enchantment in Baltimore What does this mean for our port?

We just heard that after a major upgrade Granduer of the Seas will be replacing Enchantment in Baltimore in 2013. We liked Enchantment and will be sorry to see her leave. What are your thoughts on our "new" ship? How will Granduer be different after the upgrade? Is this a gain or loss for Baltimore?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

We just heard that after a major upgrade Granduer of the Seas will be replacing Enchantment in Baltimore in 2013. We liked Enchantment and will be sorry to see her leave. What are your thoughts on our "new" ship? How will Granduer be different after the upgrade? Is this a gain or loss for Baltimore?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

GOS was in Baltimore in 2006. I sailed and the ship was really nice! A 9 day to FL and Mexico. I think her return all fixed up will be a great asset!

I'm just happy that RCCL will still be here.

We also did the Grandeur when she was here before. Was nice.

I see they've put one of the big screens on the deck. Not sure if I like that, but we will definitely be giving her a try ... probably Oct. '13.

Even though she is going thru a $48 million upgrade I question why we are getting a ship with a smaller capacity than the Enchantment?

I suspect we will see much higher prices to cruise out of here but still cheaper and less of a hassle than flying to Florida to cruise

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I honestly like the smaller ships and we are lucky they have decided to keep a ship in Baltimore. We are closer to NY ports but love to sail from Baltimore! Princess has all but left NY so we are really looking to RC for some great prices and cruises!

I haven't sailed on RCCL yet (Enchantment cruise coming up), but I was sort of looking forward to the idea of a ship of another class arriving next year. I'm hoping to book a Canada/New England cruise for next Fall. It will still be nice to experience a different ship, though.

I sailed the Grandeur in 2008 before her drydock and loved the ship - so charming, and the most wonderful, friendliest crew!

Have to agree with you on this. We actually loved the ship. Have not been on her since upgrades, but looking forward to sailing on her again.

Will miss the Enchantment, but at least RC is keeping a ship here. Hopefully the cost will be kept down.

Is the Radiance class a larger ship? The ship would have to be able to clear the bridges.

Radiance class is larger than Vision Class (Grandeur). Enchantment is 990 feet long, Grandeur is 916 feet long

according to another poster, the Enchantment is coming to Port Canaveral. I'm still waiting to see for sure, but this makes sense if it's true.

It is true. Royal Caribbean released that info yesterday.

Grandeur and Enchantment were originally sister ships almost identical to each other. Enchantment was my first cruise in May of 2000 out of FLL when it was still pretty new. Hooked me on cruising big time! A few years after that, Enchantment got an "enhancement", which lengthened the ship. So even though they are not exactly the same now, originally they were practically twins.

Thanks! So does that mean this class would never come to Balto.,?

Radiance is larger but it can clear the bridges. It is the largest ship class in Royal's fleet that can clear the Bay Bridges. So, yes a Radiance Class ship could go to Baltimore if Royal chooses to place one there in the future.

:cool:Let me offer a couple of thoughts here. I believe that I read somewhere that any larger ship would not clear he bridge on the way out???

Same class as Enchantment so it will pretty much the same ship with a new upgrade. I went on Enchantment out of Baltimore last summer, and it was nice BUT was definately in need of an upgrade. With the stretch of Enchantment it threw the public rooms out of whack (show seating). This will be more normal since they were sisters at beginning.

We should be thankful that we still have the port. :cool:FEAR THE TURTLE &JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

I know I was very disappointed with this news yesterday...I have since collected and reminded myself that I had not planned to cruise next year anyway! :o I do however, wonder about the following scenioes:

a. Less pax capacity so more demand=higher fares?

b. More venues but some will be 'for fee'= more spending onboard?

c. Itinearies to Bermuda and Canada/northeast US ports only??

I was also believing the hype about a possible Radiance class ship to Balto. so this was a big let down.

Was not feeling to good about RCI yesterday:rolleyes:

:cool:Let me offer a couple of thoughts here. I believe that I read somewhere that any larger ship would not clear he bridge on the way out???

Same class as Enchantment so it will pretty much the same ship with a new upgrade. I went on Enchantment out of Baltimore last summer, and it was nice BUT was definately in need of an upgrade. With the stretch of Enchantment it threw the public rooms out of whack (show seating). This will be more normal since they were sisters at beginning.

We should be thankful that we still have the port. :cool:FEAR THE TURTLE &JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

So are you saying a larger ship can make it in but not out? Royal's CEO Mr. Goldstein noted in one of his blog posts that the Radiance Class ships could make it into Baltimore and that is the largest class in their fleet that can.

Radiance is larger but it can clear the bridges. It is the largest ship class in Royal's fleet that can clear the Bay Bridges. So, yes a Radiance Class ship could go to Baltimore if Royal chooses to place one there in the future.

Thanks, again! I'm just happy that a ship is here.:D

So are you saying a larger ship can make it in but not out? Royal's CEO Mr. Goldstein noted in one of his blog posts that the Radiance Class ships could make it into Baltimore and that is the largest class in their fleet that can.

:cool:What I said was I THOUGHT that I had read somewhere, with ???????????????? Did not bet the house on it. Yeah-it could come in with low tide and could not get out LOL LOL:cool:If a larger ship can make it under the bridge----then I stand corrected:cool:

For those of us who were hoping for a Radiance Class ship out of Baltimore this is a rather large disappointment... upgrades or not.

Amen!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Archived