Grandeur Replacing Enchantment in Baltimore What does this mean for our port?

So are you saying a larger ship can make it in but not out? Royal's CEO Mr. Goldstein noted in one of his blog posts that the Radiance Class ships could make it into Baltimore and that is the largest class in their fleet that can.

Apparently, Mr. Goldstein has not been on either ship when it sails out of Baltimore. When on the top deck, you would swear you were going to hit the bridges. Radiance Class is too tall. They have 13 decks, compared to 11 on Vision class. I would be totally surprised if the ever brought in a larger ship.

More itineraries than that..........read post #2008 thru 2013

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1574444&page=101

Thanks...I'd forgotten those. Unfortunately, I can only sail during school breaks and summer months and during those time periods, the offerings are the same and not very appealing to me...TO ME.:) After this year, I think I will be looking for something other than the Caribbean/Bermuda, etc.

I'll keep an eye on the Explorer (or the next ship) out of NJ for RCI getaways in order to keep from flying. Future cruises that I'll need to fly to will be Hawaii and hopefully, Panama Canal/Central America.

Thanks again:)

I'll be able to sail a new ship without the hassle of flying so I'm happy!!

I wish I was able to hop on the Brillance with you guys this year...As for next year, maybe you'll let us know what great things you find on the Grandeur...enjoy:)

Apparently, Mr. Goldstein has not been on either ship when it sails out of Baltimore. When on the top deck, you would swear you were going to hit the bridges. Radiance Class is too tall. They have 13 decks, compared to 11 on Vision class. I would be totally surprised if the ever brought in a larger ship.

Well for comparison, Royal Caribbean sails a Radiance Class ship out of Tampa and clears the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and that bridge has a lower height than both the bridges crossing the Chesapeake Bay.

This is the information on RCI's website regarding the ship changes.

Grandeur of the Seas returns to Baltimore, Md. on May 3, 2013 to take over for Enchantment of the Seas, currently deployed in Baltimore through early April 2013. Grandeur of the Seas was Royal Caribbean's first ship deployed in Baltimore from 2004-09, and is currently undergoing an extensive revitalization to deliver a host of new dining venues - including six new specialty dining choices, technological upgrades and new entertainment features, as well as a refresh of all furniture, carpet, upholstery and staterooms. Families with toddlers can take advantage of the newly installed Royal Babies and Tots Nursery, which cater to the cruise line's youngest guests, age 6 to 36 months. Guests also will enjoy an oversized LED video screen offering entertainment as guests lounge by the pool, and take in a new high-flying experience, where aerialists glide through the ship's five-story atrium.

Throughout the year, vacationers can choose among a variety of itineraries to Bermuda, Bahamas, and the Eastern and Western Caribbean. In the summer, the itineraries will alternate between seven-night Bermuda sailings, featuring a two-night call at Kings Wharf, and seven-night sailings to the Bahamas, calling at Port Canaveral, Fla.; Nassau, Bahamas; and CocoCay, Royal Caribbean's private island paradise in the Bahamas. In autumn, Grandeur of the Seas will alternate between six-night Bermuda and eight-night Canada and New England sailings. The winter season will consist of rotating 10-night sailings to the Eastern and Western Caribbean as well as eight-night sailings to the Bahamas. These sailings will open for sale on Thursday, May 17, 2013.

Enchantment of the Seas arrives at Port Canaveral on the heels of the transfer of Monarch of the Seas to Royal Caribbean's sister cruise line Pullmantur. Starting Apr. 13 2013, Enchantment of the Seas offers a 12-night Southern Caribbean sailing from Baltimore to Port Canaveral before inaugurating her year-round service, sailing three- and four-night Bahamas itineraries from the port starting April 25. Enchantment of the Seas also is scheduled to be revitalized in Dec. 2012, to offer guests more onboard amenities and refreshed spaces for a rejuvenating Bahamian getaway.

Hope this is helpful. I have not yet been able to find out the itineraries for Grandeur's Eastern & Western sailings, but that might give a little more variety to the current 12 night itinerary. I'm sorry that it is 2 days, shorter, however.

Sandie

A Radiance class ship will fit under the Key and Bay Bridges.

I just sailed the Jewel ( Radiance class) out of Tampa. The Sunshine Bridge there has an air draft of approx. 182 ft. We fit under it with no problem at all.

The Key and Bay Bridges here are 185 and 186 ft.

The Radiance class vessels would be the largest to call at Baltimore.

I just sailed the Jewel ( Radiance class) out of Tampa. The Sunshine Bridge there has an air draft of approx. 182 ft. We fit under it with no problem at all.

Glad you chimed in. I knew you had those air draft heights. :)

I am excited to have an upgrade ship. The Grandeur did not have a speciality eating place and now it will have a couple. One free eating place will be the Park Cafe(great roast beef sandwiches). We went on the Allure last year and we visited the Park Cafe every day. They have single serving bags of chips.

Here are some of the upgrades:

Grandeur of the Seas’ bow-to-stern revitalization includes the addition of dining venues, technological upgrades and new entertainment offerings, as well as refreshed furniture, carpet, upholstery and staterooms.

New dining spots include Giovanni’s Table, an Italian trattoria (service charge applies); Izumi for pan-Asian cuisine including hot-rock cooking (service charge and a la carte menu pricing apply), Park Café, an outdoor gourmet market; Chops Grille steak house (open for dinner, $30 per person) and Chef’s Table, an exclusive, hosted event a five-course, wine-pairing menu (open for dinner, $95 per person).

In addition, the ship will receive a new Diamond Lounge for Crown & Anchor Society loyalty members, a Concierge Lounge for suite passengers and top-tier loyalty guests and a transformed Viking Crown Lounge with a new design and a menu of bite-size items.

Grandeur of the Seas will also gain a Royal Babies and Tots Nursery, ship-wide Wi-Fi and a digital, interactive way-finding system that debuted on Oasis of the Seas.

The Centrum will transform into a lively new space to host an array of daytime activities and nighttime entertainment including an aerial acrobatic act. The Champagne Bar will be reinvented as the R Bar, a retro spot where a mixologist prepares signature cocktails.

Giovanni's Table is $15 for lunch and is well worth the money.

The interactive way finding system is great. It is like a giant computer monitor. You can pull up the events of the day (compass) or check to see how busy an eating place is before walking there and finding it busy.

I am not Diamond or stay in a suite but they will have their lounge. The Centrum will have entertainment including an aerial act. If it is similiar to what we saw on the Allure, it will be outstanding.

The Grandeur will have some of the good things of the big ships while being a close, smaller ship.

I don't think the price to go up because they will make up some revenue at the charge eating places.

I stand corrected. Would be nice then if they brought in a Radiance class ship since the Granduer has already been here. Hey at least we will have a ship:D

After reading this article I don't think we have to worry that RCCL will leave the port of Baltimore.

The first cruise of the Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore will be a May 3, 2013 cruise to Bermuda. The ship will offer six, seven, eight, and 10-night cruises from Baltimore. Until the arrival of the Grandeur of the Seas, the Port of Baltimore will be served by Royal Caribbean’s Enchantment of the Seas through April 2013.

Last year a record 251,889 people sailed on 105 cruises from the Port of Baltimore. Baltimore has 100 cruises scheduled for 2012. The total economic value to the State of Maryland of cruising from the Port of Baltimore is about $90 million. Approximately 220 direct jobs in Maryland are generated by cruise activity.

The Port of Baltimore handled the fifth-largest amount of cruise passengers among East Coast cruise ports and 12th largest in the U.S. in 2010. Last year the Port began using a state-of-the-art, climate-controlled enclosed passenger boarding bridge. The bridge is mobile and flexible to accommodate various sized cruise ships.

In the last four years, Baltimore has seen a marked increase in its number of cruise passengers. In 2010, 210,549 guests sailed on 90 cruises while in 2009, its first year of year-round cruising, more than 167,000 passengers sailed on 81 cruises. In 2008, about 61,000 people sailed on 27 cruises that operated in the spring, summer and fall.

Baltimore is within a six hour drive of 40 million people. It is the closest East Coast drive-to port from Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis and Chicago and is within a three-hour drive from the New York City metro area. The Cruise Maryland terminal is 2.5 miles from Baltimore’s world famous Inner Harbor and 10 miles from BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport.

Maryland’s median household income of $68,845 is the highest in the U.S. Baltimore is also located within a four-hour drive of eight of the ten wealthiest counties in the U.S. The Baltimore-Washington DC-Northern Virginia region is recognized as one of the most affluent in the nation.

Grandeur itin's from Baltimore are now available for booking on RCCL's website.

Rick and Deirdra

Thanks. Can't say I'm too excited with those standard balcony cabin prices for the 10-nighters. Explorer is just up the road and for a lot less. I could fly to Florida or SJ, sail from there and save a lot of money too. Sure, Grandeur is local and convenient but sheesh!

Wish they were going to offer some 12 day cruises out of Baltimore!

I didn't think the prices were bad for the 10 day. Just booked one and paid $300 less pp for a JS than I paid for a 12 day in 2013 for a JS so I think that's right on target.

Archived