Celebrity

iankh

My spouse/unionized partner and I have booked a cruise on Celebrity for next year. We've sailed 7 times on Disney, cruises of varying length ranging from 4-nights to 14-nights.

Not sure what to expect on Celebrity. Any insight you folks can provide would be VERY appreciated.

657975333_GMwE9-L.jpg

I can't compare it to Disney, since I've never sailed Disney. However, I did my first Celebrity cruise last summer for 12 days of Norwegian Fjords. I found Celebrity to be a very nice line. It seems slightly more upscale than Royal Caribbean, but not swanky by any means. Food was on the same par with other mass market lines I've been on. Some things better, some things not so better. They did not publish a LGBT/FOD gathering in the daily paper on my cruise, but they did have a sign posted on the "Bulletin Board" in the common area where anyone could post a "let's meet to..." notice. However, on my sailing, that meeting never really amounted to much as there didn't seem to be too many LGBT on board the sailing. I suspect your results in this area may differ and may be influenced by the location, timing, and duration of your cruise more than anything else. Celebrity is a good line. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

My spouse/unionized partner and I have booked a cruise on Celebrity for next year. We've sailed 7 times on Disney, cruises of varying length ranging from 4-nights to 14-nights.

Not sure what to expect on Celebrity. Any insight you folks can provide would be VERY appreciated.

657975333_GMwE9-L.jpg

First off..no more "peeing" on the Steamboat Willy statue. LOL! I think you'll find Celebrity to generally have less kids & a somewhat more mature(not old) crowd. Food is generally better. Dress is frequently a bit more formal, especially on the Solstice ships. Do check out the "rollcall" section or start your own roll call. There's quite a lot of great people who love Celebrity. Neil & Jerry(Neilrr)cruise Celebrity a lot & can give great info. on their fun times aboard Celebrity.

First off..no more "peeing" on the Steamboat Willy statue. LOL! I think you'll find Celebrity to generally have less kids & a somewhat more mature(not old) crowd. Food is generally better. Dress is frequently a bit more formal, especially on the Solstice ships. Do check out the "rollcall" section or start your own roll call. There's quite a lot of great people who love Celebrity. Neil & Jerry(Neilrr)cruise Celebrity a lot & can give great info. on their fun times aboard Celebrity.

I think we might be able to forego Steamboat Willy, but it's going to be tough to be on a ship without any princesses.

I cannot compare to Disney unfortunately, although would like to try D. I hear Disney has a great spa / spa services.

We've sailed primarily on =X= with the exception of 1 Princess and 1 Carnival. Both of us are very pleased with the line and would be happy to remain loyal to them. I would echo the other replies you have received.

If you have the opportunity, try to book an Aqua Class stateroom as AQ guests have their own dining room, Blu. Blu is not over-the-top with courses and portions, but slightly more healthy, delicious and without the pomp and circumstance of the MDR.

Cute picture of you guys.

We have never been on a Disney Cruise, but as you can see we have been on several Celebrity and Azamara Cruises. We have met other couples (both gay and straight) that have become very good friends on several cruises. Celebrity and Azamara are both very gay friendly. We agree with the above poster that Blu on Celebrity, the restaurant for Aqua Class guests is excellent. We have always had great food on our cruises, one of the many reasons we always return to Celebrity. If you have any specific questions, please let us know and we will do our best to answer. Happy cruising

657975333_GMwE9-L.jpg

As you can see, we're fairly new clients of Celebrity but will definitely continue to cruise with X. We're both 65 so our age seemed to put us just on the upper fringe of those more "mature" souls onboard. We have found the ships to be very nice (loved The Equinox) and the itinerary offerings to be much better than some other lines. Food was very good (always subjective) but most of all we just enjoyed the ship environment. We've been together for 24 years, so when we cruise we are perfectly happy to just be with each other and par-take of whatever ship activities sound appealing. Most amazing thing we've found with X is the sincere friendliness of every crew member we came in contact with as well as all the fellow passengers. :)

We're actually looking forward to a more mature crowd on Celebrity, though the kids have never bothered us on Disney, we scarcely notice them.

We're on this cruise with some friends (straight) on a Disney Panama Canal cruise in 2008.

We booked a veranda for the Celebrity cruise, the first time in something other than an inside cabin.

We're intrigued that they have FOD on Celebrity, as they don't have that on DCL.

You will love the balcony. We never travel without it. I wouldn't imagine Disney would have a FOD meeting. Celebrity no longer publishes it in the Dailies, but either has th times posted on a board at Guest Services or they will tell you if inquire. Usually we are at dinner at the time the meetings are held, but gaydar seems to work best. Happy cruising !!!

You will love the balcony. We never travel without it. I wouldn't imagine Disney would have a FOD meeting. Celebrity no longer publishes it in the Dailies, but either has th times posted on a board at Guest Services or they will tell you if inquire. Usually we are at dinner at the time the meetings are held, but gaydar seems to work best. Happy cruising !!!

Yes, same with us Phxazzcruisers. We always eat at the 1st seating. When we walk through the lounge after dinner (when in the MDR) always see the boys huddled, drinking martinis. Gaydar goes off.

I like that on =X= we are always treated with respect, and will always find a lesbian or gay couple to chat with, tour with and enjoy a meal or cocktail with. We have found many straight friends as well, of course.

It's all very good to hear. I guess we're committed to the Celebrity cruise now because I cancelled our DCL cruise last night.

It had takern quite a bit to convince my partner to try a cruise line other than Disney. Not that he's a particular fan of Disney, but he's come to really like DCL and their service and quality.

His biggest fear was being on a "party" ship and surrounded by a bunch of drunk people. Friends of ours, who we met on a 14-night, were on another line and opened their cabin door one night to find some guy peeing on the wall next to their door, which was not cleaned up for the duration of the cruise. That story put him off trying another line.

It's funny because about 8 years ago he was dead set againt even trying a cruise and then did just to humor me.

We're elected select dining, which will be novelty for us. That and having a balcony for the time. Quite a change!

It's all very good to hear. I guess we're committed to the Celebrity cruise now because I cancelled our DCL cruise last night.

It had takern quite a bit to convince my partner to try a cruise line other than Disney. Not that he's a particular fan of Disney, but he's come to really like DCL and their service and quality.

His biggest fear was being on a "party" ship and surrounded by a bunch of drunk people. Friends of ours, who we met on a 14-night, were on another line and opened their cabin door one night to find some guy peeing on the wall next to their door, which was not cleaned up for the duration of the cruise. That story put him off trying another line.

It's funny because about 8 years ago he was dead set againt even trying a cruise and then did just to humor me.

We're elected select dining, which will be novelty for us. That and having a balcony for the time. Quite a change!

God, that is so tacky. We've done Cunard for several years. We like the formality, but understand many prefer a more casual dresscode. I think you'll find the food to be better than DCL. Do try Murano, as their's is generally the best food on the ship.

We have cruised almost exclusively on Celebrity and have never been disappointed. The staff and ships have been excellent. To be fair, we also have usually been part of a "gay group cruise" (See Pied Piper Travel). We are embarking on our first "solo" cruise in September on the Solstice and am hoping we meet some other LGBT folks. Will obviously look into FOD, but the gaydar seems to work best.

Steve & Phil

San Jose, CA

We have cruised almost exclusively on Celebrity and have never been disappointed. The staff and ships have been excellent. To be fair, we also have usually been part of a "gay group cruise" (See Pied Piper Travel). We are embarking on our first "solo" cruise in September on the Solstice and am hoping we meet some other LGBT folks. Will obviously look into FOD, but the gaydar seems to work best.

Steve & Phil

San Jose, CA

Our cruise is quite a long, long, long way off, next year. DCL has sort of conditioned us to planning far in advance because cruises fill and prices go up very, very quickly

We've seen other GLBT on DCL cruises, but there isn't much socializing to speak of.

Our first long 14-night Panama Canal cruise with DCL, a friend had invited us to be tablemates, along with friends of her's (another couple) and their parents. We ended up getting univited because there was fear that we might give the game away on one of the guy's who was not out to his parents.

Actually we got uninvited from a second table as well because it was thought we might not be suitable for younger family members. Sort of goofy, eh? (Not Goofy, though).

We ended up on yet another table and had a blast. There's now battles over who gets us for their table.

It sounds worse than it was. I found it rather funny at the time.

Very interested in being on a cruise where there might be a scheduled GLBT gathering.

Considering possibly making this a celebration cruise for our 25 year anniversary.

I've already splashed out on a balcony ... I've been eying Aquaclass as of late ...

Aqua class is great as you get to eat in Blu, the specialty restaurant dedicated to Aqua Class guests. You also get access to the Persian Garden, which for us is not a big deal. We do, however, really enjoy breakfast and dinner in Blu. The food is exceptional.

We did the canal cruise with X a few years back, you will love it.

Partner & I took the Solstice, this April, from Lauderdale to Barcelona & did a btw eastern Med. on Her. The GLBT ( that's how it is listed ) is posted daily bt customer service. For the first 2 days, it was held at the Martini Bar ( wonderful area, but not suited for this ), so it was moved to Michaels. Great turn out for the TA, none for the Med. I think it has alot to do with how poet intensive the cruise is and at what time the meet has held. Our's were held from 8 on, & we do the late ( 8:30) seating.

We always ask for a table for 6 or 8 & have never had a problem with any tablemates, we looked forward to our dinner conversations. Too boring sitting by ourselves, I do eat with Stan every day, I want to shake it up ;)

My husband and I have been on Royal Caribbean, NCL and Celebrity cruises. We LOVED LOVED LOVED Celebrity. We sailed on the Eclipse a couple of years ago in December. We only cruise in December for the most part because we love the lower rates and so few kids.

In our experience, Celebrity was just a fab cruise line. We found that the Aqua Class cabin was great for us. We loved the Blu dining room and the upgraded stuff in the cabin.

The FOD meeting was the largest we have ever been to. It was so big in fact that it sort of split into two groups but every night in the Martini Bar, it was packed. :-)

I think you will have a great time on X :)

My husband and I have been on Royal Caribbean, NCL and Celebrity cruises. We LOVED LOVED LOVED Celebrity. We sailed on the Eclipse a couple of years ago in December. We only cruise in December for the most part because we love the lower rates and so few kids.

In our experience, Celebrity was just a fab cruise line. We found that the Aqua Class cabin was great for us. We loved the Blu dining room and the upgraded stuff in the cabin.

The FOD meeting was the largest we have ever been to. It was so big in fact that it sort of split into two groups but every night in the Martini Bar, it was packed. :-)

I think you will have a great time on X :)

The cruise we've booked on Celebrity is a Christmas cruise.

Our cruise is quite a long, long, long way off, next year. DCL has sort of conditioned us to planning far in advance because cruises fill and prices go up very, very quickly

We've seen other GLBT on DCL cruises, but there isn't much socializing to speak of.

Our first long 14-night Panama Canal cruise with DCL, a friend had invited us to be tablemates, along with friends of her's (another couple) and their parents. We ended up getting univited because there was fear that we might give the game away on one of the guy's who was not out to his parents.

Actually we got uninvited from a second table as well because it was thought we might not be suitable for younger family members. Sort of goofy, eh? (Not Goofy, though).

We ended up on yet another table and had a blast. There's now battles over who gets us for their table.

It sounds worse than it was. I found it rather funny at the time.

Very interested in being on a cruise where there might be a scheduled GLBT gathering.

Considering possibly making this a celebration cruise for our 25 year anniversary.

I've already splashed out on a balcony ... I've been eying Aquaclass as of late ...

We celebrated our 25 this winter on the Infinity doing South America. Great group of FOD at the elite cocktails.

One thing you should be aware of is Celebrity will lower the price of your cabin if the price goes down before you make the final payment. You have to call them or have your agent do it if you used one. I watch the fares online daily as prices can change over night. We have saved $$$ by doing this. After the final payment has been made you can still get onboard credit for the difference or.... if let's say the price of an Aqua class cabin gets dropped to or below what you are paying for your cabin you can ask to be upgraded and they always have for us. Two years ago we booked a non assigned inside at the lowest price by the time the cruise came we ended up in a balcony for $400 less and $200 in onboard credit. I use a site called vacation with an s to go dot you know what! Find my cruise on it and follow it daily.

We are elite on Celebrities reward program and love it! Hope you have a great cruise. Do not forget to look for or start a thread for your cruise in the gay roll calls. We have met lots of great people that way. I also follow the regular thread and have had great success meeting really great people on them as well. We have found being open and up front with most folks works really well. We have had only one minor issue with red neck table companions 25+ years ago. Ever since we have had great times on every cruise and cruiseline we have been on but we love Celebrity the most with Holland America close second.

We celebrated our 25 this winter on the Infinity doing South America. Great group of FOD at the elite cocktails.

One thing you should be aware of is Celebrity will lower the price of your cabin if the price goes down before you make the final payment. You have to call them or have your agent do it if you used one. I watch the fares online daily as prices can change over night. We have saved $$$ by doing this. After the final payment has been made you can still get onboard credit for the difference or.... if let's say the price of an Aqua class cabin gets dropped to or below what you are paying for your cabin you can ask to be upgraded and they always have for us. Two years ago we booked a non assigned inside at the lowest price by the time the cruise came we ended up in a balcony for $400 less and $200 in onboard credit. I use a site called vacation with an s to go dot you know what! Find my cruise on it and follow it daily.

We are elite on Celebrities reward program and love it! Hope you have a great cruise. Do not forget to look for or start a thread for your cruise in the gay roll calls. We have met lots of great people that way. I also follow the regular thread and have had great success meeting really great people on them as well. We have found being open and up front with most folks works really well. We have had only one minor issue with red neck table companions 25+ years ago. Ever since we have had great times on every cruise and cruiseline we have been on but we love Celebrity the most with Holland America close second.

Thank you for the heads-up about keeping an eye out for deals and then upgrading. We're still very far off from this cruise as it's not until next year. I would have not known that prices drop. I wasn't aware of that phenomenon. DCL rarely does that or even runs a sale. The prices typically go up as it gets closer. I've never seen a price go down. Hence the need to book when the cruise opens for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived