Vatican Museum on a Wednesday

Ljanski

Question: If I take the BIRG train from Civitavecchia and arrive approx. 9:30 - 10:00 a.m. at the San Pietro station, is it a problem walking to the Vatican Museum thru the crowd for the Pope's audience?

If so, what is the best way to get to the Vatican Museum for a 10:30 entrance?

What time of year is it? In late fall and over the winter the audience is in the inside auditorium, not in the square. They also do this in bad weather in the summer. If the audience is outside, I suppose you could walk thru one of the side streets. Is the San Pietro station west of the Vatican? We took the metro from Termini and the metro stop for the museum is east of the vatican, so the musuem was between the metro stop and St Peters. It is quite a long walk from St. Peters to the Museum entrance- 15 minutes in a quick walking pace.

We'll be there on 27 June.

Thanks to all for the information! I could just picture myself stuck in a crowd, with streets blocked off, and security people not letting me get out until the audience was over.

Any ideas what time the "secret" door opens to St Peters on days of a Papal Audience?

The museum entrance is from the outside walls of the Vatican, you can't get there by walking into St Peter's Square, so the crowds will not affect your walk along the outside wall of the Vatican to the museum entrance.

We tried the secret door around noon or 1 and it was not open for anyone, including tour groups. Very annoying!

San Pietro station is south of the Vatican, and the museum entrance is in the north wall. If you think you'll have trouble getting through the crowds, you should be able to walk around the west side of the Vatican instead -- it's only about a quarter of a mile further and probably far fewer people around. Either way, it's a little over a mile from the station to the museum.

San Pietro station is south of the Vatican, and the museum entrance is in the north wall. If you think you'll have trouble getting through the crowds, you should be able to walk around the west side of the Vatican instead -- it's only about a quarter of a mile further and probably far fewer people around. Either way, it's a little over a mile from the station to the museum.

You cannot walk along the western wall of the Vatican. Trust me, I tried and promptly ran out of road and all the locals said it was impossible as well.

It the timing works just right you could change trains at the San Pietro station and get on the FR3 train for one stop, getting off at Valle Aurelia. This puts you on the other side of Vatican City, about three quarters of a mile from the museums entrance. This only makes sense if the FR3 train is arriving within about five minutes of your arrival, otherwise you might as well walk.

For example, if you get the 8:02 from Civitavecchia and arrive at S. Pietro at 8:56, it makes sense to wait for the 9:02 FR3 train, which takes five minutes to Aurelia.

You can see the regional train layout here: http://atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

You cannot walk along the western wall of the Vatican. Trust me, I tried and promptly ran out of road and all the locals said it was impossible as well.

I respectfully suggest that you can. The sidewalks are very narrow, and you have to know where you're going to get to the southwest corner of the Vatican, but there is a route. Basically get yourself on Via Aurelia going west, make a right at the end, and you'll hit the corner. Then just follow the wall.

Again - thanks to all for their views!

How about this - get out of the San Pietro Train Station and get a cab to the Vatican museum???

Better solution ? -- or is it quicker walking at a normal pace. I have no idea what traffic is like around the Vatican. Most of the posts I see talk about walking there ( counter-clockwise) - there must be a reason I don't see posts suggesting a taxi.

The cab would be ideal but we have never seen one at the San Pietro station. That's not to say they are never there, though. I would estimate that it takes about 1/2 an hour to walk. When you come out of the station, just turn left and you will see the pillars of the colonnade; walk that way, keeping to your right. You will be able to walk right in front of or across St. Peter's Square even with a crowd and then just keep walking around Vatican City, keeping the wall to your left, and eventually you will end up at the museum entrance.

I respectfully suggest that you can. The sidewalks are very narrow, and you have to know where you're going to get to the southwest corner of the Vatican, but there is a route. Basically get yourself on Via Aurelia going west, make a right at the end, and you'll hit the corner. Then just follow the wall.

Based on my experience, if it is possible, it's very difficult and locals said it's an uphill climb and everyone recommending going the opposite way. I don't think it's worth the struggle, but YMMV.

I agree it's possible because a couple years ago I walked around the outside perimeter of the entire Vatican City. I chose to do it because it is the smallest country in the world.

I had plenty of time because we were in Rome for over 2 weeks.

What time of year is it? In late fall and over the winter the audience is in the inside auditorium, not in the square. They also do this in bad weather in the summer. If the audience is outside, I suppose you could walk thru one of the side streets. Is the San Pietro station west of the Vatican? We took the metro from Termini and the metro stop for the museum is east of the vatican, so the musuem was between the metro stop and St Peters. It is quite a long walk from St. Peters to the Museum entrance- 15 minutes in a quick walking pace.

Just a FYI that they sometimes hold the audience outside during the winter if the weather is nice. We attended an audience outside in December when it was sunny and in the high 60's. The audiences the week before and after that one were inside.

I see there is no papal audience on the Wednesday we are in Rome in July. That's unexpected.

Actually it is expected. Rome is too hot in the summer and he leaves for a couple months.

Archived