HAL Insurance - Non-HAL Excursions Covered?

HouseRulz

I am sailing on the Eurodam with my Mother next month. We have purchased the platinum policy.

I am wondering if the medical coverage provided includes coverage for events occurring while off the ship during a non-HAL shore excursion and/or during time spent in ports while not on an excursion.

So for instance if I were to fall and break my leg during an SBP Tour in Tallin, does the $10,000 coverage apply?

Or, if after our tour, we are walking around the city and I fall, does the coverage apply?

I understand there are restrictions (i.e. for "adventurous" activities), but generally speaking, is the insurance covering the "Cruise" or the "Trip?"

Thanks in advance for the help.

First off, I do not know the answers to your questions. But I suggest, if you have not already done so, go to the HAL site and pick Cancellation Protection Plans and then read the full plan - very boring I know. If your questions are not answered there, you might call HAL or the Berkely Care which handles claims.

I can tell you based on our experience of this past February(we had Platinum as well) when we had a minor medical claim, that we had to file first with our own insurance plan and after a ruling from them, file with Berkeley Care. If any of you is on Medicare, it does not cover outside the US. Barbara

I am sailing on the Eurodam with my Mother next month. We have purchased the platinum policy.

I am wondering if the medical coverage provided includes coverage for events occurring while off the ship during a non-HAL shore excursion and/or during time spent in ports while not on an excursion.

So for instance if I were to fall and break my leg during an SBP Tour in Tallin, does the $10,000 coverage apply?

Or, if after our tour, we are walking around the city and I fall, does the coverage apply?

I understand there are restrictions (i.e. for "adventurous" activities), but generally speaking, is the insurance covering the "Cruise" or the "Trip?"

Thanks in advance for the help.

You are not covered. On our recent South American cruise we went to Machu Picchu independently of HAL and had HAL insurance. We were specifically told that HAL would not cover us while on the independent excursion. Since it was an overland excursion for three nights we bought separate insurance for that.

Terri

You are not covered. On our recent South American cruise we went to Machu Picchu independently of HAL and had HAL insurance. We were specifically told that HAL would not cover us while on the independent excursion. Since it was an overland excursion for three nights we bought separate insurance for that.

Terri

Do you think it was more specifically non-coverage since you disembarked the ship and were on an independant excursion that involved flights?

I'm assuming the OP is referring to day tours which for some could mean being injured while walking around in a port whether or not hey had used a "taxi", "tour guide" or "driver". If people lost their coverage by doing anything independantly than the insurance would become pretty useless unlss they stayed on the ship.

But, it's a good point to further investigate.

I just spoke to someone with Berkely Care. As to the Platinum Plan:

You are covered during your entire trip (the beginning and end of which depend on circumstances), including when you are off the ship. This is the case if you are on a HAL excursion, privately booked excursion, or on your own. The exception is if you are hurt or become ill during activities (i.e. scuba diving, unless it is recreational diving at less than 130 feet in depth; skydiving; hang gliding; parachuting; etc) specifically listed as being not covered in the policy.

So breaking your leg in a fall in the Hermitage (whether on a HAL, private or self-guided tour) is covered the same as if you break your leg walking on the Lido deck (although for some, a fall on the Lido deck might not be covered if there have been too many trips to the Lido Bar! :D).

HAL insurance has worked for us. At this point we are more interested in trip interruption and cancellation than medical which HAL has a limit of $10,000. of covered things. We were on a 25 day Collectors Cruise in Feb and had to leave after 11 due to a medical situation with DH. We were reimbursed for the entire 14 days we did not take, the hotel we stayed in waiting to fly out the next day (return airfare would have been covered but we always buy refundable tickets so that was not an issue), and the medical expenses incurred in the ship's medical center (after our secondary applied those to our deductible.). For another cruise, we had to cancel the day before and received back 90% of our fare. It is costly but we have been pleased. Barbara

Hmmm, I thought one of the benefits of the HAL insurance was that it could be purchased at final payment time. But this brochure says that it must be bought at deposit time. Anyone know anything about this?

Hmmm, I thought one of the benefits of the HAL insurance was that it could be purchased at final payment time. But this brochure says that it must be bought at deposit time. Anyone know anything about this?

HAL insurance can be purchased at final payment. That's a fairly recent change in policy, as it used to be required at initial deposit.

The brochure probably wasn't updated when the policy changed. That's a common occurance.

Regardless of whether it will pay or not $10,000 in medical coverage is so very little now days. If something were to happen and your mother were to be transported from the ship or shore side to a hospital and you were to have to fly home from there is sure doesnt sound like that policy will cover it. I personally would check into either a medjet policy to add on to it or an independent policy with much higher limits

Regardless of whether it will pay or not $10,000 in medical coverage is so very little now days. If something were to happen and your mother were to be transported from the ship or shore side to a hospital and you were to have to fly home from there is sure doesnt sound like that policy will cover it. I personally would check into either a medjet policy to add on to it or an independent policy with much higher limits

Flying home from an injury is Medical EVACUATION and is separate from the Medical coverage.

But I agree that $10,000 isn't much for medical coverage, especially if a hospital stay results from injury or illness.

Archived