What luggage brand do you have?

crooooze

my Boyt pieces have endured very well. not cheap but you can find sales. they come with a lifetime warranty too.

BBM

My late first DH was a fan of Boyt, and he used the pieces whenever he went flyfishing (some very exotic locations that required multiple forms of transportation). When he died, I gave the pieces to my niece and her husband who are real "adventure travellers." They still have them, use them everywhere they go, and love them!

HAPPY CRUISING!

Have Tumi, High Sierra, and my favorite, the $29.00 30" rolling duffel from WalMart!!!! Has a large main compartment, lower compartment for shoes, etc, and two side pockets. Can fit at least a weeks worth of clothes, shoes, hygiene and accessory items.

Yes, when I bought my rolling duffel I was able to shop by volume (it comes in 3 sizes, volume marked) http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/DuffleBags/PRD~5024-300/mec-fast-track-2-rolling-duffle.jsp

I also don't understand why packing differences between people makes any difference......volume is a set value that doesn't change with the seasons or with whether you're a squishy packer or a light packer. Those affect how much you can or will fit in a space of a given volume, but the volume is the same.

Of course the volume of the case doesn't change and I completely understand what you're asking. The volume of what is being packed absolutely changes with the weight/density of the clothing and most people don't know what the volume of their clothing is when purchasing luggage. Not many people pack that way. I think a whole lot of people just pack until they can't fit anything else into the case. Some people even use compression bags to get the air out and have much more in the case than a person who doesn't even know how to fold properly.

Put the same case next to each other and two packing styles, one person can fit a whole lot more if they pack with care vs. the one who just wads up clothing and stuffs it in.

I even asked a couple people this question in the store the last 2 nights and they gave me a blank look. They had absolutely no clue and didn't really care.

• 5 weeks later...

We have a soft Samsonite that was bought in Oct 2006. The brand tag has disappeared but otherwise it's in good condition. We paid 80 € for it but we did buy it from Andorra (duty-free country).

Our other one is a hard Delsey which I got as a Christmas present in 2006. It's dirty ;) but otherwise intact. As it was a present, I can't tell you the exact price but I guess around 100 €.

Both have four wheels that have never been broken and the handles are in OK condition.

You can get a Samsonite, nowadays made in India, really cheap online. We have both purple and yellow. Makes it easy to recognize them on an airport belt.

Or in a customs hall after the cruise.

I like Eagle Creek because it is light and has a great guarantee. DH broke an inside zipper by yanking it - a piece of plastic had gotten caught. Sent it back and it was repaired for no charge. Two downsides - I use packing cubes (EBags) and I am careful with breakables. Second is my version has a flex top so it is hard to balance the 'personal item' when wheeling the suitcase.

We just bought Samsonite spinners from Costco. We now take one of each. The Sam is soft sided but much studier than the Eagle Creek.

• 2 months later...

I bought a 29" Rimowa for my T/A last October on the Ruby. Paid $$$$ but absolutely loved the case. Only problem was when I picked it up from the turnstile at LAX, I found one of the spinners was broken off. I heard a rumor awhile back that spinners are very susceptible to damage from the rough treatment they receive from ramp workers. I also heard another rumor (I''m just saying it's a rumor) that expensive luggage is sometimes targeted for damage.....?

Bob

We've had samsonite spinner luggage for about 5 years. None of the wheels ever broke off, but there are tears in the rubber now and the bags look pretty roughed up and seem like they've gotten flimsy.

We just recently purchased Tumi Vapor. We are very happy with the pieces and are looking forward to trying them for the first time on our next vacation.

I bought a 29" Rimowa for my T/A last October on the Ruby. Paid $$$$ but absolutely loved the case. Only problem was when I picked it up from the turnstile at LAX, I found one of the spinners was broken off. I heard a rumor awhile back that spinners are very susceptible to damage from the rough treatment they receive from ramp workers. I also heard another rumor (I''m just saying it's a rumor) that expensive luggage is sometimes targeted for damage.....?

Bob

The good thing is that the Rimowa wheels are the easiest to replace. We carry replacement wheels in store, or they can be shipped to you. Behind the interior repair zipper there should be a tool similar to an Allen wrench (sp) that unscrews the screw holding the wheel in place.

I think it is pure rumor that expensive luggage is targeted for damage. I would not be surprised to hear that heavy luggage is targeted for abuse. That makes more sense to me, overweight pieces are harder for them to handle and they aren't going to be as nice to them.

I use to work at Hartmann Luggage.I can tell you that 20 years ago it was a great product.Hartmann has been sold several times in the past few years and was recently purchased by Samsonite.About 5 years ago manufacturing was moved to Mexico and some to China.It is not what it was when it was made here for sure.The whole operation here in Lebanon TN will now be closed permanently in December.Sad to see it go.I have several times found it for sale on craigslist and e-bay.

I too have had multiple problems with finding quality, nice looking bags. This March before our cruise, we purchased top of the line samsonite bags, hardsided, not polycarbonite. After 14 great days on Celebrity, we pick up our luggage in Ft. Lauderdale only to find a wheel broken off. I sent it back to samsonite for repair, received it back 6 weeks later. Just flew from Anchorage to DFW, and bags were so beat up, I had to use a screw driver to pry the bags open, and could never shut it again. Took the bags to AA, and they wanted to give me a $75 voucher on AA. I told them no way, and I wasn't leaving the counter until they would do something about my bag. $400 bags and 6 months later they were worthless. AA called me to tell me the bags were not repairable and they were replacing them. Bags came today and they are the Poly carb spinner. They don't look as good as my bags did, but I guess they are better. I've always had quality hardsided, and when they get damaged, they are unusable. I'm looking for something that looks better than the Silhoutte 12 spinners.

Yes, my old Travelpro case held up wonderfully for over 15 years, but when I looked to replace it with another Travelpro, I was not impressed......i think the quality has really declined. That's when I switched to an MEC rolling duffel.

We have a rollaboard Travelpro Crew 4 22" carryon and a 26" checked bag about 15 years ago, as well as a couple of duffels. Now Travelpro is up to the Crew 8 series, and sometime (I believe after the Crew 5) they started to produce them in China instead of the USA - explains the quality drop.

My only gripe with Travelpro is their wheel configuration picks up gravel, which jams the wheel and creates a flat spot. Nothing quite as embarrassing as walking through the airport with your bag going clunkaclunkaclunka... I bought some upgraded wheels online and now carry the bags over gravel parking lots. They are also a bit heavy, but that's the price you pay for bags that will last.

I have been using my old Travelpro carry-on rollaboard for more than 20 years. It has been all over the world and the only thing wrong with it, other than looking a little scruffy, is that some zipper pulls broke off.

The zippers themselves and the wheels and pull-up handle still work fine.

It is 22" x 14" and I would love to find a lighter weight replacement for it with spinner wheels, ideally of equivalent size with the lift out shelf (my favorite feature) and outside pockets on both front and back.

In addition to the usual two outside pockets on the front, I really like having that big outside pocket on the back.

Looked at the Travelpro 8 and 9 and found them both disappointing by comparison.

• 3 months later...

With airlines adding fees for almost everything except air (that's probably next), we are looking to change our luggage. My smaller TravelPro suitcase (that I've had since our first cruise in 2003) weighs 15 pounds before anything is in it. My other TravelPro suitcase is 18 pounds. Before one of our cruises, I filled less than half of the larger suitcase with light clothes like t-shirts and it ended up being over 50 pounds. The TravelPro has held up like a dream. No issues except a damaged pull but that's no biggie. I would rather not get new luggage since we invested so much in the TravelPro but we want to get lighter suitcases so we can pack "normal". We are not heavy packers but want the flexibility to take extra clothes or fill a suitcase without going over the weight limit.

Unfortunately, Lanza :o I hope nobody will pay attention to the name on my suitcase.

It's very convenient, light-weight, we've had it for... maybe 10-15 years? And I've really enjoyed it and recommended to others till that fateful shooting :(

With airlines adding fees for almost everything except air (that's probably next), we are looking to change our luggage. My smaller TravelPro suitcase (that I've had since our first cruise in 2003) weighs 15 pounds before anything is in it. My other TravelPro suitcase is 18 pounds. Before one of our cruises, I filled less than half of the larger suitcase with light clothes like t-shirts and it ended up being over 50 pounds. The TravelPro has held up like a dream. No issues except a damaged pull but that's no biggie. I would rather not get new luggage since we invested so much in the TravelPro but we want to get lighter suitcases so we can pack "normal". We are not heavy packers but want the flexibility to take extra clothes or fill a suitcase without going over the weight limit.

I'm just trying to figure out what you pack that makes your suitcases so heavy.

As I posted in post 41 of this thread, I use my Hartmann 50" mobile traveler almost every week. I can put a total of 16 wire hangers with khakis, a blazer or two, tops, a couple of dresses, underwear and a couple of pairs of shoes and be about 42 pounds. Add in the full sized bottles of shampoo, baby powder, deodorant and all my makeup and I am RARELY over 50 pounds.

Just curious what people pack to make their luggage so heavy. The ONLY time I have had really, really heavy luggage (70 pounds per bag), I was going to work in South America for 2-3 weeks and then take a cruise. I had 9 pairs of shoes (including two pairs of work boots), 5 formal heavily beaded dresses, my fur coat, plus my husband's tuxedo and dinner jacket and all his clothes in two Hartmann mobile travelers. I took the heavy suitcases with my carryon and computer bag when I left for work, he brought the camera equipment and the carry ons we needed for the cruise.

Just curious???

We have some different brands of luggage, 1 have an older burgundy samsonite set that is looking a little beat up after a decade but is still holding together.

What I hope to do is eventually replace everything with only Briggs & Riley. It is pricier but is high quality & just about indestructible. I got a large garment B&R garment bag from Overstock 5 years ago. It's a great piece of luggage. I wish overstock offered more of their pieces - I keep hoping. In any case as I need to I'm just going to bite the bullet & pay what I have to for the better brand.

We have a pair of bright red Samsonite Tote-a-Ton duffles. They are cheap ($20) and easy to spot. They're also huge. We could do a 7 day cruise with one of them. They weigh next to nothing, too. Too big for a air carry on. They were right at the limit for Megabus storage. Perfect for us.

They did the job for our last cruise. That trip included car travel, train, bus, and boat. They have also done numerous road trips without complaint.

Archived