St Thomas....what did you do?

darceyg

We booked a shore excursion through the ship to go to St. Johns. The boat ride over was very informative. Once we arrived St Johns our captain sent those of us off with a cab driver who wanted to go to Trunk Bay. The boat ride back, everyone had loosened up and it was a lot more fun - oh yeah, maybe the rum punch had a little something to do with it too :D It was an enjoyable day and we would do it again.

We also went to Trunk Bay, but we didn't join any tours. We took the public ferry to St. John and then took a taxi to Trunk Bay. The beach there is very nice. It's a great place for snorkeling too.

A trip to St. John is wonderful, but you will be gone all day, so if you want to see any of St. Thomas, you'll need to decide. We love the downtown area of Charlotte Amalie. Always have. It's just so quaint and has such adorable shops and restaurants. Absolutely love it.

We've done both excursions (usually a cat sail) to St. John, as well as touring St. Thomas. This most recent trip in April we got off the ship in Crown Bay, hopped one of the open air taxis to Sapphire Beach, played around there for a couple hours, then took a taxi back to town for lunch, drinks, strolling and shopping. It was a wonderful day.

It really depends on what you like. Everyone should see St. John once in their lives (if not more) butr St. Thomas has a lot to offer as well. Snorkeling and sailing are always a great thing to do, but if you are sailing in St. Maarten, you may want something different. There are some great beaches on St. Thomas as well.

Our waiter advised us to skip Meagans Bay, which is what we had sorta planned, as there would be 4 ships in port that day. We got a taxi over to the Emerald Beach resort - IIRC taxi cost $15, then spent the day there. The beach was very nice, not crowded and there was a nice pool. We had a burger lunch and drinks there and watched a wedding which was great!

No charge for any of their amenities.:)

http://www.emeraldbeach.com/

St Thomas....what did you do?

Not sure what we'd like to do as yet. We have booked sailing in St Maarten

Look forwrd to any ideas beach, tours anything.

Thanks.

We just took an open air taxi from the Allure dock for $4pp to a little town to do some shopping. We got some great deals. :) Great shopping here. I loved St, Thomas and I didn't even get to see the whole island. We even had free at&t cell service here. Next time I will take a tour here to learn more about the island. It was really nice. :)

I went to Coral World, and did all the nature talks and encounters. Boy, did I have fun and learned a lot about Caribbean underwater creatures. I saw the sea lion doing tricks, saw the sea turtles being fed and learned about them thanks to the informative lecture, went to the fish feeding, and got to know the species found in the area, saw colorful birds called lorikeets, fed the stingrays. It was a thrilling, educational, and very fun day.

• 2 weeks later...
I went to Coral World, and did all the nature talks and encounters. Boy, did I have fun and learned a lot about Caribbean underwater creatures. I saw the sea lion doing tricks, saw the sea turtles being fed and learned about them thanks to the informative lecture, went to the fish feeding, and got to know the species found in the area, saw colorful birds called lorikeets, fed the stingrays. It was a thrilling, educational, and very fun day.

Did you book it as an excursion through your ship or did you just hop in a cab and go. We are going with 5 kids ages 9-11 and this might be perfect.

Can you share more details please

Our first port of call was St. Thomas, USVI and we had booked a tour with Godfrey Renal. We met up at 9:00am so the girls could do a little shopping before we actually saw the island. We headed into downtown Charlotte Amalie where the girls picked up a few items. Shopping here is very similar to back in the states in regards to the stores. They don't negotiate prices and are firm on what they want to sell you, but the perk is it is duty free. If you want to bargain and haggle prices, the outside vendors are your best bet. While waiting for Godfrey to pick us up for the second part of our tour, we stopped by the local fire station to talk with the guys. Being a fellow brother firefighter from Hillsborough County, it was nice to see how the St. Thomas Firefighters deal with emergencies on their island.

DSCN6681.jpg

After shopping, Godfrey loaded us up on an open air bus (there were about 20 people in our group) and we set out to see St. Thomas. The roads are very winding and they drive on the left side of the road there, so if you suffer from motion sickness, better medicate yourself before driving there. We made our way up to Mountain Top for some gorgeous views of the island and the most delicious banana daiquiris.

DSCN6720.jpg

With a healthy little buzz from the daiquiris, we made our way down to Megan's Bay then to Coki Beach where a few from our group decided to stay. Godfrey graciously offered to pick them up at 3:30pm since we had to be back on board the ship by 4:30pm and we continued on our way. We drove by Bluebeard's Castle, Mahogany Run Golf Course and Blackbeard's Castle before heading back to the ship. Overall, it was a very nice tour at a leisurely pace and gave us an opportunity to see St. Thomas.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked a private tour through Fury Charters and had the best excursion of our trip! We were on a boat with 11 other people. The captain sailed us over to Buck Island where we were able to swim with the sea turtles. About a dozen or more of them. We also saw a sting ray and lots of other fish. Nicki was our guide and she got in the water with us and pointed out different animals and even brought up things for us to see and touch. This was a highlight for us!

We booked a private tour through Fury Charters and had the best excursion of our trip! We were on a boat with 11 other people. The captain sailed us over to Buck Island where we were able to swim with the sea turtles. About a dozen or more of them. We also saw a sting ray and lots of other fish. Nicki was our guide and she got in the water with us and pointed out different animals and even brought up things for us to see and touch. This was a highlight for us!

Do you have the contact information and price for this. It sounds exactly what were are looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

We sailed with Fury Charters in March of this year and just loved it - their website is at http://www.usvisailing.com/

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did if you decide to sail with them - the crew was wonderful, swimming with the sea turtles was just fantastic, and the price was very reasonable for the amount of fun we had.

Since you are taking a sailing excursion on SXM (hopefully with Golden Eagle) I would either make STT a beach day with a stop at either Iggie's or Paradise Point, or a tour that includes a beach stop. We like the first option because you are in control and have more flexability not being part of a larger tour group. Taxis are plentiful and relatively inexpensive compared to other destinations.

For the beach look at Coki for a smaller bay and a busier vibe, gorgeous bay. For a wider bay that's home to 3 condo resorts and a small dive center look at Sapphire Beach. Another beautiful beach with stunning views of STJ and Tortola.

Excellent off-the-beach snorkeling at both beaches.

For a neat stop before returning to the ship I wouldn't waste my time going to Mountaintop since it's been replaced with the new version. Just a big touristy store with an $11 banana daiquiri. Look at either Iggie's beach bar at Bolongo Bay which is on the return. Great, funky beach bar on the water with good apps and love their rum punches! We love Paradise Point when we cruise to STT or when we're staying there. The view of the harbor is spectacular, and there are things to do there Also a great staff and try their signature drink, Bailey's Bushwacker. Google the skyride/tram or search past threads here for more info. You can also get info and tram tickets at your ships' excursions desk.

Whatever your choice have a great cruise! ;)

We sailed with Fury Charters in March of this year and just loved it - their website is at http://www.usvisailing.com/

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did if you decide to sail with them - the crew was wonderful, swimming with the sea turtles was just fantastic, and the price was very reasonable for the amount of fun we had.

Another vote for Fury. Not sure which line you are on, but if you dock at Havensight, they pick up there, so you save on taxi fare, as many other tours leave from Red Hook.

Hey blue water, I had set my mind on Saphire Beach, but then I looked at Bolongo Bay. I saw under rentals that you can do family day pass for $120 but couldn't find anything else about a day pass there. How is the snorkeling there, is it as good as Saphire? Do you know anything about the day pass? Thanks looks like a great area, and if it includes chairs, kyaks etc. I might change my mind.

For us the Bolongo Bay Resort is ok, since the rooms are so mediocre we haven't stayed but just stopped there and enjoyed Iggie's and checked out the property. So we cannot comment on the day pass but you will find folks on tripadvisor who know the property better.

For snorkeling you will want Sapphire, Coki, or another spot from what I've read but do post this question on TA.

Hey blue water, I had set my mind on Saphire Beach, but then I looked at Bolongo Bay. I saw under rentals that you can do family day pass for $120 but couldn't find anything else about a day pass there. How is the snorkeling there, is it as good as Saphire? Do you know anything about the day pass? Thanks looks like a great area, and if it includes chairs, kyaks etc. I might change my mind.

There is no reef at Bolongo Bay - a nice sandy beach, which means not very good snorkeling from the beach. There is a dive operation here and they run a catamaran trip out for snorkeling as well. Here is the menu for Iggies - which is the restaurant on the beach.

http://www.bolongobay.com/dining/iggiesmenuapr2012.pdf

I would get a lot more details before throwing down $120 - how many people is that for? Does it include food? Compare it to the menu - you know what your family likes to eat...would you want to eat a full meal or just want a snack? You will probably find that it will be more cost effective to pay as you go...unless this includes alcholic drinks, and you are planning a party kind of day.

We've cruise into St Thomas twice; each time we had a port schedule of 8am-4pm (back on ship by 3:00). Both times we used it as a beach day, reserving transportation with EEETours, who picked us up right outside the pier gates. First time we went to Magens Bay. This past time we went to Sapphire Beach. Both are very nice in their own way. I should mention that we were lucky enough to be the only ship in port for both of our cruises so neither beach was overly crowded. I liked the ameninties of Magens Bay better. We were all eager to have lunch at Sapphire and needed to wait - make that.. wayyyyyyyayyyyyayyyyt for the "snack bar" attendants to set up and get cookin. I think the stand really belongs to the resort next door that uses part of the beach for it's guest. Lots of roosters and chickens running around while you wait. I ordered a grilled chicken cesaer salad wrap and I swear I heard one of them sigh ;)

Magens Bay has a souvenir shop and a food stand, as well as a bar.

Both have swim equipment rentals.. most everyone in our group snorkeled while at Sapphire - lots of fish; you could swim out as far as you dared, at your own risk of course. Magens Bay is a float around swmming hole.. roped off so you can't venture too far; lifeguard on duty. Both are visually beautiful. Magens has soft, powdery sand - Sapphire is pebbly around the shoreline; we had water shoes so it wasn't a problem. Magens Bay charges a fee to get in (4.00 when we were there), Sapphire is free, but again, less amenities. They really should have their own designated food stand and bar. Ohhh, and Sapphire Beach had lots of iguanas :eek:

Magens Bay DSC01944.jpg

The rope line is where the boat is in the photo. So as you can see you can't swim too far out.

Sapphire Beach - swim as far out as you want. The island way in the back, just visible through the haze is St John. IMG_0308.jpg

I'd be happy and grateful to return to either one of these beaches.

Sapphire is a condo resort so you won't find the amenities you would expect at a full-fledged resort. The restaurant you mentioned is up the hill behind the marina at Sapphire Village. The Banana Cabana near the swimming beach opened early when we were staying at the Sapphire Beach Resort, were they closed when you wanted to order? Great mahi sandwich there.

Iggie's is a fun spot to lime,the beach there is very pebbly unlike Sapphire. The beach at the resort is ok, no snorkeling but they do have the cat for day sails.

Contact bolongo bay resort regarding any day pass options.

Hi Dawn, I am looking to do this tour with some friends in January. Can you tell me if you filled the boat or just joined the other group? And what did you pay? Thanks for the info!

Susan

Thanks blue water for info. For anyone interested the day pass at bolongo bay is a family pass for 4 $120 does not include food or drinks. Does include all non motorized water sports, kayaks, windsurfing, etc. which my kids would enjoy. But we want to snorkel too. Plus you need to add the taxie. Can get pretty expensive.

• 1 month later...
Did you book it as an excursion through your ship or did you just hop in a cab and go. We are going with 5 kids ages 9-11 and this might be perfect.

Can you share more details please

We walked off the ship, took a right, walked to the Butterfly Garden for a quiet morning, hopped a cab to Coki and went into CoralWorld. No need to 'book an excursion', just hop a cab. After C.W. we walked out onto Coki beach. There is great snorkleing right off the end of Coki around the point at Coral world.

• 3 months later...
We walked off the ship, took a right, walked to the Butterfly Garden for a quiet morning, hopped a cab to Coki and went into CoralWorld. No need to 'book an excursion', just hop a cab. After C.W. we walked out onto Coki beach. There is great snorkleing right off the end of Coki around the point at Coral world.

I think this is exactly what we plan on doing!

Archived