Best Totem Poles To Visit in Ketchikan

cruisingrus

Can't decide which would be best to see totem poles. We do not want to take a tour but do on our own by taking one of the public buses. We want to do other things in this port and don't want to spend a lot of time travelling. Saxman Native Village, Bight State Park or Ketchikan Native Heritage Center?

Can't decide which would be best to see totem poles. We do not want to take a tour but do on our own by taking one of the public buses. We want to do other things in this port and don't want to spend a lot of time travelling. Saxman Native Village, Bight State Park or Ketchikan Native Heritage Center?

Well, we did Saxman Village on our first cruise and Totem Bight on our second.

There a plenty of totems at both places. The differences being - Saxman Village, if you are there on a day that the craftsmen are working you can see them working on stuff. Totem Bight - beautiful hillside setting looking out over the water.

Haven't been to Native Heritage Center, yet.

:)

I like Saxman Native Village due to the craftsmen actually carving as you watch. The entry fee was nominal if you were not part of a group. I think it was $3 at the time.

Having been to both places, I personally prefer Totem Bight State Park. To me it's all about the setting. The poles at Saxman are on the street next to sidewalks. Granted the "show" is a plus at Saxman village. As far as carvers go there is a carver at Totem Bight it's behind the gift shop beyond the park.

I'm also partial to Totem Bight because the first time we were there in 2005 a large bald eagle had a nest in the tallest pole in front the the long house and I got a picture as it took off with a fish in its claws.

Because of your statement of not wanting to spend your time traveling and wanting to use public transportation Totem Bight would be eliminated. From what I've read, the public bus would take an hour each way.

We visited Totem Bight State Park and Potlatch Park last month. We enjoyed it very much. We took the city bus, and it took about 15-20 minutes to get there. These are actually two separate entities right next to each other. Totem Bight has the reconstructed totems from abandoned sites, brought in and copied for display. There is a workroom where they store and work on the totems. They also have a longhouse built in accurate style. It is found in a lovely wooded setting. Potlatch Park next door is a commercial enterprise, I believe. It has the gift shop, antique car museum, and a variety of buildings emulating a native village. It has a carving shed, with work in progress and a carver working much of the time. It also has a "smokehouse" and other houses. When we were there a carver was working outside on a totem down by the water. Neither place charges admission. The only problem with the city bus is that it only runs out there once an hour, I believe. Just be sure where and when to catch it, and you will be fine. It picked up across the street from the Eagle park and down by the library.

In my opinino, Saxman is far better with a tour, and getting the enlightening stories of what you are seeing. At Totem Bight you need to print out and bring with you the totem guide. As mentions, if going there, include Potlatch Park. Allow at least 3-4 hours.

Totem Heritage Museum is a whole different thing. Authentic totems with excellent informtaion and docents. Focus is history and preservation.

Add to the totem find- look around Ketchikan- Whale Park, Creek St. Dock, take the Fox funicular up and out the back, beautiful sets of totems. :)

I enjoy them all.

I would be inclined to say that the better display of totem poles is a Totem Bight. I agree with BQ re the Totem Heritage Center and it aims and goals. However there is no blue print as to how a totem pole is to look, it is art form and the carver (the artist) has a lot of license has to how it looks.

In my opinino, Saxman is far better with a tour, and getting the enlightening stories of what you are seeing. At Totem Bight you need to print out and bring with you the totem guide. As mentions, if going there, include Potlatch Park. Allow at least 3-4 hours.

I was hoping to go to Totem Bight this year using the public bus, but we are only in town from 7 AM - 12:30 PM. It sounds like we would be cutting it too close and might feel rushed. Is it worth taking a ship tour to either Totem Bight or Potlach Park so that we are assured of getting back to the ship on time? Are there other options that are not *too* pricey for getting there and back without having to wait for the bus? Or should we just wait for a trip where we have more time in Ketchikan? We have been cruising Alaska every summer so we will be back, and we surely will end up with itineraries where we have more time.

We went to Totem Bight last week. The weather was beautiful and the setting serene. There is also a reconstructed clan house on sight. There is a volunteer tour guide who was very good. When the bus comes in you can follow her around as a group if you want to and she explains things. Or you can go around on your own and then just rejoin the lecture later. Afterwards she stands around and you can ask her questions. There are also many signs with the history on them.

The bus is a city bus and there is no charge but the driver has a box where you can leave a small donation. It takes 25 minutes to get there from the library and 25 minutes to return to the dock. So, it is only at the Totem Bight site once every hour. An hour there is plenty of time. If you are lucky enough to time it right it will take a total of two hours for the bus ride and the visit.

Here is the hitch. We tried to catch the bus when it stopped at the docks about 10:00am. It was completely full and the driver would not let anyone else on. So, we went over to the library and had to wait almost an hour. There are bus schedules on a pole next to the library so if you look at those you can figure when to get there in plenty of time. People who live in the area ride the bus for transportation too. The bus stops at the library before the dock stop so it's important to get over to the library early instead of trying to catch it at the docks.

We really enjoyed the visit there.

...At Totem Bight you need to print out and bring with you the totem guide. As mentions, if going there, include Potlatch Park. Allow at least 3-4 hours.

BQ, from your many posts it appears that you are very knowledgable about Alaska. You have mentioned the "3-4 hours" for TBSP several times, but I cannot understand that. It is a small site. There are 14 totems there. The guide to it is about 2 pages long. Just exactly what takes 3 to 4 hours?

I am not being a smarta$$, I just want to know. We are planning on catching the 7:46 Blue bus out north, get back to downtown by 9:38, so we can do other stuff. Will visiting TBSP really take more than 63 minutes?

....At Totem Bight you need to print out and bring with you the totem guide. As mentions, if going there, include Potlatch Park. Allow at least 3-4 hours...
I agree. As long as someone is going to spend the time traveling out there, it would be a shame not to stay for another hour and see both parks. They are right next door to each other.

Totem Bight State Historical Park

Potlatch Totem Park in Ketchikan Alaska

When we were at Totem Bight, they provided copies of the totem guide near the entrance for visitors to carry around the park and drop off in a box by the exit on your way out.

But as BQ says, it is probably a good idea to print out your own copy to bring along just in case they are out of them the day you are there.

Can't beat that $1 price to go there on the city bus, and only 50 cents for seniors!

The city bus makes a stop at Walmart on the way out, but if you need anything there, ask the bus driver to drop you off at Walmart on the way back instead. That way you won't need to carry your packages around at the parks with you.

Ask for a free bus transfer if you get off at Walmart. That way you can either catch the next city bus going back, or ride the free Walmart shuttle back to the pier, if it is not filled up with crew members. :)

....... There are bus schedules on a pole next to the library so if you look at those you can figure when to get there in plenty of time. People who live in the area ride the bus for transportation too. The bus stops at the library before the dock stop so it's important to get over to the library early instead of trying to catch it at the docks.
We find it a good idea to check out the bus schedule in advance so we don't need to waste a lot of time standing around waiting for it.

Ketchikan Bus Timetable

You should be able get a copy of the current bus schedule at the tourist info building right on the dock.

Notice the info about the free downtown loop shuttles too.

BQ, from your many posts it appears that you are very knowledgable about Alaska. You have mentioned the "3-4 hours" for TBSP several times, but I cannot understand that. It is a small site. There are 14 totems there. The guide to it is about 2 pages long. Just exactly what takes 3 to 4 hours?

I am not being a smarta$$, I just want to know. We are planning on catching the 7:46 Blue bus out north, get back to downtown by 9:38, so we can do other stuff. Will visiting TBSP really take more than 63 minutes?

It only took us two hours total for the bus ride and an hour at the site. The hitch is you have to be able to get on the bus and not have to wait an hour for the next one then it could take longer than two hours. There is only one bus and if it fills up then you have to wait an hour for the next one. We read every plaque (and there were many), talked to the guide for a few minutes, made pictures of all the totems plus made pictures of the scenery. The plaques are very informative as was the guide. We still had a few minutes to drink a cup of hot chocolate and go to the rest room before the bus arrived back.

I was hoping to go to Totem Bight this year using the public bus, but we are only in town from 7 AM - 12:30 PM. It sounds like we would be cutting it too close and might feel rushed. Is it worth taking a ship tour to either Totem Bight or Potlach Park so that we are assured of getting back to the ship on time? Are there other options that are not *too* pricey for getting there and back without having to wait for the bus? Or should we just wait for a trip where we have more time in Ketchikan? We have been cruising Alaska every summer so we will be back, and we surely will end up with itineraries where we have more time.

I am not sure if it would work but you might check at the visitor center to see if you could take a taxi 1 or both ways. I know that it is a bit of a ride and the taxi might cost a bit but how much in the total cost of your cruise compared to the cost of the taxi.

When you read posts on CC, you find that many people try to save small amounts of money and then miss good stuff.

The only problem w the taxi approach is that you have to have a way of getting the taxi to pick you up at Totem Bight. Again, the visitor center people might know or just ask a taxi driver abut it.

DON

A taxi out to the park and a bus back could be a good answer. (saves time one way and $$ on the return)

I am a little anal about making sure about my arrangements. I would call the taxi company from home and set up a time to meet the taxi to take me to the park. If the cost is OK ask them to return for you at a given time. (I almost always arrange for my taxi driver to return for me when we are in the Caribbean. 80% of the time they do.:eek:) If they will not do that make sure you are at the bus stop on time. I think I read this is the farthest point on the bus route. The bus should not be full. :)

In my posts, I am never going to recommend the min. times. It's too easy for people to miss buses. IF you are going to visit Potlatch Park that is the 4 hour window. IF only Totem Bight 3 hours.

IT is very unlikely that people aren't going to have some wait at either end for a bus. Two hours would mean, they got right on both buses, with an hour at Totem Bight- which is enough. Even with your 7:46 am bus time, I will speculate you aren't going to show up 7:45? I would suggest 30 minites earlier as these buses are now very popular and fill up.

I am not sure if it would work but you might check at the visitor center to see if you could take a taxi 1 or both ways. I know that it is a bit of a ride and the taxi might cost a bit but how much in the total cost of your cruise compared to the cost of the taxi.

When you read posts on CC, you find that many people try to save small amounts of money and then miss good stuff.

The only problem w the taxi approach is that you have to have a way of getting the taxi to pick you up at Totem Bight. Again, the visitor center people might know or just ask a taxi driver about it.

DON

Just ask the taxi driver to pick you up. People do it all summer long if they don't want to wait on the city bus.

You have time to include it if you wish? as mentioned below there is a 7:46am bus, stay an hour and return on the next bus.

As Budget Queen mentioned, the Totem Heritage Center is a museum, not a park. It is indoors and has a smaller but nice collection of historical totems which have been preserved in their current condition. We found it rather interesting. It's $15 per person for the combo ticket that includes the adjacent salmon hatchery/eagle center. You can buy it individually for a little cheaper. Also, this attraction is walking distance from the piers (it's one of the stops on the downtown walking tour, which we did and enjoyed).

If you are going to be like us--the weather may make a difference.

If it is raining cats and dogs the museum is a good option. If it is an OK day or sunny day Totem Bight Park would be good. (due to prime water views). Play it by ear with all of your options open.:) (drizzle does not count as rain in Ketchikan)

If you are going to be like us--the weather may make a difference.

If it is raining cats and dogs the museum is a good option. If it is an OK day or sunny day Totem Bight Park would be good. (due to prime water views). Play it by ear with all of your options open.:) (drizzle does not count as rain in Ketchikan)

We are from the Seattle area. Rain has no impact on our plans. :cool:

I agree. As long as someone is going to spend the time traveling out there, it would be a shame not to stay for another hour and see both parks. They are right next door to each other.

Totem Bight State Historical Park

Potlatch Totem Park in Ketchikan Alaska

Thank you for the links. I appreciate them.

I agree with you on a proper use of time. It would be a shame to see just one and not both. :( But the problem is that there is more stuff to see in downtown Ketchikan as well. So we have this bitter-sweet dilemma, well known to most travelers, that there is way more stuff for us to do then there is time.

Here is what I am thinking of doing, and I’ll throw this out for the group to evaluate.

We are on HAL’s Statendam scheduled to arrive in Berth 2 at 7:00. We’d like to catch the first Blue Route bus at 7:46, get to the end to visit TBSP, catch the 9:15 back, arrive at Front & Eagle at 9:38, walk up Deer Mountain by 12:30, and be back on board by 14:30 for a 15:00 sail. (If it is raining too heavily to make the hike up Deer Mountain uncomfortable, we’ll do the Totem Heritage Center instead of Deer Mountain.) If we were to come back to Front & Eagle at 10:38 instead, we wont have time to do Deer Mountain in order to get back aboard by 14:30. I doubt that we could run up and back in 3 hrs 52 minutes, even if take the Salmon Run bus.

I suppose that in the 8 hrs that we have in Ketchikan that we should concentrate on stuff that is available in Ketchikan more than anywhere else in the world: totem. I am thinking that we could Totem Bight, Potlatch Totem Park, Totem Heritage Center, and Totem Park in Saxman.

Here is my plan C for Ketchikan

7:00 arrive in Ketchikan

7:45-8:10 catch the Blue bus at the library.

8:10 - 9:00 see Totem Bight

9:00 - 10:00 see Potlatch

10:15-10:25 Blue bus to Shoreline Drive, close to WalMart, which is the northern terminus of the Red Bus; snack in WalMart or Narrows Inn. The reason for killing 47 minutes around WalMart, besides getting a snack, is because we want to catch the Red Bus here, where we are sure to get on board, instead of downtown Ketchikan, where we would likely not be able to get onboard due to 4000 cruise ship pax in town.

11:12-11:33 Red bus to Saxman City Hall

11:35 - 12:45 see Saxman Totem Park

12:50-12:57 catch the Red Bus at Killer Whale drive to Tatsuda's IGA; walk up Deermount Street to Totem Heritage Center.

13:10 - 14:00 see Totem Heritage Center

14:10 - 14:15 catch the Salmon Run Bus to Mission Street

14:30 back on board.

Thoughts?

In my posts, I am never going to recommend the min. times. It's too easy for people to miss buses. IF you are going to visit Potlatch Park that is the 4 hour window. IF only Totem Bight 3 hours.

IT is very unlikely that people aren't going to have some wait at either end for a bus. Two hours would mean, they got right on both buses, with an hour at Totem Bight- which is enough. Even with your 7:46 am bus time, I will speculate you aren't going to show up 7:45? I would suggest 30 minites earlier as these buses are now very popular and fill up.

I am kind of confused now. I asked this specific query a couple of days ago, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34152397#post34152397 , and Putterdude, frugaltraveler, and Bearbait, all of who are posters that I respect, think that catching the Blue bus should not be a problem. Is it?

Because I do err on side of caution, and I assume that BQ is right and Murphy will be on the job, we'll have to work with this. One of the things that is a great unknown to me is the behavior of pax from a ship that gets to Ketchikan about 30 minutes ahead of us. We are on HAL Statendam, docking at Berth 2 at 7:00, but Princess Star gets into Berth 4 at 6:30. I am sure that we can beat the other Statendam pax onto the Blue Route bus by running to the library bus stop (the southern terminus of the Blue Route) instead of waiting at the Front & Tunnel bus stop. If we get to the library bus stop at 7:20 or so, should we expect a line of Star pax there already? I am being optimistic, because it is a hike from Berth 4 to the library, and both the Bear shuttle and the Salmon shuttle will just finish their first runs.

We are from the Seattle area. Rain has no impact on our plans. :cool:

I agree! :)

I visited Seattle a couple of years ago. It rained/drizzled the entire 5 days we were there. It did not change anything we did. We even went to the Space Needle for brunch. (more affordable than dinner and better daylight) We had big rain drops on the windows, but, still had great views.

Having said that it can make onw venue better than another. If my goal is to see the Totem poles. Totem Bight Park is better because of the views. If It is a hard rain the views are not as good and standing at a public bus stop is not as good. the museum has a carver, is downtown and inside. All things are relative.:eek::)

Thank you for the links. I appreciate them.

I agree with you on a proper use of time. It would be a shame to see just one and not both. :( But the problem is that there is more stuff to see in downtown Ketchikan as well. So we have this bitter-sweet dilemma, well known to most travelers, that there is way more stuff for us to do then there is time.

Here is what I am thinking of doing, and I’ll throw this out for the group to evaluate.

We are on HAL’s Statendam scheduled to arrive in Berth 2 at 7:00. We’d like to catch the first Blue Route bus at 7:46, get to the end to visit TBSP, catch the 9:15 back, arrive at Front & Eagle at 9:38, walk up Deer Mountain by 12:30, and be back on board by 14:30 for a 15:00 sail. (If it is raining too heavily to make the hike up Deer Mountain uncomfortable, we’ll do the Totem Heritage Center instead of Deer Mountain.) If we were to come back to Front & Eagle at 10:38 instead, we wont have time to do Deer Mountain in order to get back aboard by 14:30. I doubt that we could run up and back in 3 hrs 52 minutes, even if take the Salmon Run bus.

I suppose that in the 8 hrs that we have in Ketchikan that we should concentrate on stuff that is available in Ketchikan more than anywhere else in the world: totem. I am thinking that we could Totem Bight, Potlatch Totem Park, Totem Heritage Center, and Totem Park in Saxman.

Here is my plan C for Ketchikan

7:00 arrive in Ketchikan

7:45-8:10 catch the Blue bus at the library.

8:10 - 9:00 see Totem Bight

9:00 - 10:00 see Potlatch

10:15-10:25 Blue bus to Shoreline Drive, close to WalMart, which is the northern terminus of the Red Bus; snack in WalMart or Narrows Inn. The reason for killing 47 minutes around WalMart, besides getting a snack, is because we want to catch the Red Bus here, where we are sure to get on board, instead of downtown Ketchikan, where we would likely not be able to get onboard due to 4000 cruise ship pax in town.

11:12-11:33 Red bus to Saxman City Hall

11:35 - 12:45 see Saxman Totem Park

12:50-12:57 catch the Red Bus at Killer Whale drive to Tatsuda's IGA; walk up Deermount Street to Totem Heritage Center.

13:10 - 14:00 see Totem Heritage Center

14:10 - 14:15 catch the Salmon Run Bus to Mission Street

14:30 back on board.

Thoughts?

I suggest you figure out, what is of more interest, and forget, being on such a "schedule". Also, not sure why are you going up Deermont to Totem Heritage Museum, you get there by going up Park, unless you are looking for going all the way around the long way. Deermont is steep and stright up hill. Park isn't.

I am kind of confused now. I asked this specific query a couple of days ago, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34152397#post34152397 , and Putterdude, frugaltraveler, and Bearbait, all of who are posters that I respect, think that catching the Blue bus should not be a problem. Is it?

Because I do err on side of caution, and I assume that BQ is right and Murphy will be on the job, we'll have to work with this. One of the things that is a great unknown to me is the behavior of pax from a ship that gets to Ketchikan about 30 minutes ahead of us. We are on HAL Statendam, docking at Berth 2 at 7:00, but Princess Star gets into Berth 4 at 6:30. I am sure that we can beat the other Statendam pax onto the Blue Route bus by running to the library bus stop (the southern terminus of the Blue Route) instead of waiting at the Front & Tunnel bus stop. If we get to the library bus stop at 7:20 or so, should we expect a line of Star pax there already? I am being optimistic, because it is a hike from Berth 4 to the library, and both the Bear shuttle and the Salmon shuttle will just finish their first runs.

Sorry, but people are lined up deep, way more than a bus full at the library as well. The key for a visit is to haul your but off the ship- early, and get the first bus. I have personally also been on full buses, where they stopped loading more.

I am always off the ship right after it clears, and there is ALWAYS way fewer people around,compared to hours later. Take advantage of the early hour, and people sleeping in and taking too long eating breakfast. :)

Archived