Santorini

kcanada

We're booked on the Regatta for the Pearls of the Aegean itinierary in August with another couple. I've been doing research on the ports and I am a little worried about the logistics in Santorini. We'll be there during the height of the tourist season. It looks like there will be 2-3 other ships on port the same day as us (although I have read that the websites are not reliable and there will likely be more ships in port that day). I'm interested in anyone's perspective on things to do, etc. I am concerned about the lines for the cable car. In addition, we would like to go to Oia but I am worried about relying on public transportation. I have read nightmares about the buses on the CC port message boards. I was thinking about renting a car so we could drive around the island and see some beaches as well, but I am not sure about parking in Oia. We had some bad experiences in Italy a year ago with parking in tourist areas. Also, does anyone have any restaurants to recommend for lunch? It's going to be hot, so we are not interested in doing the hike from Fira to Oia. I will post on the Greece ports board as well, but I know that the Oceania posters are well traveled and will give us some great advice!

Hello - we went to Santorini in August 2009 on the Summit (Celebrity). There was no queue for the cable car and we got together with another couple off the ship and hired a car. I would recommend booking one though as we were lucky to get one. We drove to Oia and found a pay car park off the main road. After that we did all the beaches and had lunch out of the main tourist area.

I am glad we didn't have to rely on buses - it was well worth getting the car. When we got back to the cable car there was no wait for the cable car.

Truth be told, there can be long lines for the cable cars, in recent years they have been upgraded and take more people up the hill more quickly but it all depends on the number of ships in the harbor. The last time we were there the ship tendered folks on excursions to a different area (the ferry landing) to meet the busses for their tours, this seemed to lessen the number of people in the cable car area. There can be lines going back down the cable car, often just before the ships require everyone back on board so plan ahead (tenders will also be busier at that time).

I would take a taxi to Oia and have the taxi driver wait for you (negotiate the price up front), it is too far to hike (imho), busses are infrequent, rental cars-expensive and inconvenient. If you have not been to Fira before, there is certainly plenty to see and do there if you like lounging in restaurants with outstanding views, shopping and exploring for 3-4 hours.

We were on a small 50 passenger ship with Overseas Adventure Travel last summer. Everyone was able to get on the same tender and there were no problems with the cable car. Later in the day several large ships came in and there were very long lines for the cable car and it looked as if people were taking a long time tendering as well. We were told that the week before, there were 7 large ships in the harbor at the same time, so I guess it's a matter of luck and timing. You can also ride a mule or walk up-in the footsteps of the mules.

While Santorini is a great port, it certainly does provide some logistic challenges.

First off, there are frequently long lines to take the cablecar up but even larger ones to take it down - a one-to-two hour wait is not unheard of.

If you are physically fit, the walk down is fine provided you have good footwear that is washable (donkey poo) and bottled water. It will be hot - remember that even waiting in line can be stressful in the heat. Much depends on when Regatta leaves in comparison to the other ships in port.

We rented a car on our first trip and found it to cause more stress than it was worth - parking problems, crazy bus drivers tailgating you and worrying about whether we would be charged for all the dings that we thought that we had caused! If taxis are available, that would be a better option. Public transport on Greek islands is *ahem* less than desirable.

As for restaurants, it's all about location, location and location. You are likely not going to have a fabulous meal (sorry) so find a place with a great view and have some wine and mezes. On our last trip, we simply lucked out in getting the cablecar up, strolled around the town and found a wonderful, shaded roof-top restaurant/bar in a very chic hotel and spent a few relaxed hours enjoying the view with a bottle of wine.

We were in Santorini last September. You are right about the cable car line, especially at the top trying to go down to the port. There was at least an hour wait when we were there so we made the HUGE mistake of walking down the donkey trail. It would have been lovely if it were not for the donkeys!! Donkey s_ _ t everywhere! It stunk! Whatever you do, do NOT walk down the donkey trail.

It is a wonderful place to visit but the logistics can be stressful. I have no idea how much it might cost to have a taxi wait for you at Oia but it might be worth it. When we were there a few years ago, we had difficulty getting a taxi back fromn Oia. Luckily in the end someone had ordered a taxi and wasn't around so we were able to take it, but it was very worrisome. And this was a day when I think we were the only ship in port. However, it was late in the year so perhaps many taxi drivers had quit for the season.

We were in Santorini three years ago come October and we hired a car and driver for the day. We had a wonderful time and didn't have to worry about timing etc. Our driver took us all over the island and we spent the whole day with her. There was a 20 minute wait for the cable car up but no wait at all coming down. I don't remember the company but I remember googling it.

The bus station is a few blocks walk from the center of town and the bus to Oia was clean and cheap . (Just do not use the station ladies room). It runs frequently and the view is lovely. We were there 3 years ago in May when there were three ships in port that day. There was a wait for the cable car but nothing too long.

We were in Santorini in June, 2007. We had no trouble taking the cable car up. Once in town we wandered around, looking for a taxi but to no avail. They were grabbed faster than we could spot them. So we went back to the bus terminal and travelled to Oia with the locals. Luckily we got seats; when they were gone, the aisle filled with standers. Once in Oia, we browsed shops and had lunch. The food was good; the view, better. We found it easy to grab a taxi to take us back to town. It was money well spent as the driver gave us a tour as we went. There was a wait for the cable car so don't cut it close. Some on our ship (Oceania) hiked down with some enjoying it and others regretting it, especially the lady who slipped on donkey doo and broke her ankle.

Harriet

"Coming down the donkey trail isn't bad. Just wear closed-toe (and heel) shoes you're not that fond of - like old sneakers."

Yeah, like I'm going to take up valuable packing space to bring old throw-out sneakers just for Santorini.

We were in Santorini last year with Oceania/Nautica. Since we had been unable to dock in Mykonos as planned, Oceania ran tenders earlier than planned and there was no wait for the cable car, either coming or going. But a friend had cruised on Marina a few months earlier, and said they waited for hours for the cable car after taking a ship tour. So it all depends on your ship AND the other ships calling on Santorini at the same time. And if, like me, you are afraid of heights - fear not! I had spent months dreading the cable car, and it was NOT scary.

Some folks we met through CC had booked a private tour for us, and I have to say it turned out wonderfully. 8 of us spent a full day on a Mercedes bus, pick up in Fira, walking through Oia, then to the red and black beaches and a great little beachside restaurant for lunch. A really great time. I didn't book it, but my notes say it was booked as 'Santorini Travel - Nikos Sirigos" at 400 euros for 8. It was a little sketchy at the start, but turned out to be a terrific day!

Yeah, like I'm going to take up valuable packing space to bring old throw-out sneakers just for Santorini.

*shrugs* We frequently take stuff that's on its way out, and leave it behind. Makes room for the souvenirs and new stuff we buy. For example, being joggers, we've always got running shoes on their way out. Save them specifically to take on a trip for jogging, then discard them. Heck, on our trip to Australia, our suitcases were emptier coming back than they were going!

We were in Santorini in May - I think we may have been 1 of 2 ships in port that day. No waits for cable but I expect that could change in busy August. We used Dimitris at OceanWave Tours - info@oceanwavetours.com You may want to contact him to see what you could negotiate for a tour and ride to Oia. He took us to an waterfront restaurant that we enjoyed. I was kind of lost but it didn't seem to be easily accessible to tourists. You could do the view from the top and then go to the beach and have Dimitris return.

Pam

We also were in Santorini in May on the Riviera. We had no problem getting on the cable car since all the tours were left off at a stop before Fira. DH and I walked to Oia. If you are up for a 3 1/2 to 4 hour leisurely hike, then do it. It is absolutely beautiful. The scenery is as stunning, if not more stunning, than that in Oia. We took 2 bottles of water each, packed sandwiches from the ship, wore hats and used lots of suntan lotion on our arms. After walking through Oia and buying cold diet cokes, we jumped on a bus and rode back to Fira. We found the bus to be quite reliable. Our cable car ride back down to the tender was short. Luck must have been with us that day!

We frequently take stuff that's on its way out, and leave it behind. Makes room for the souvenirs and new stuff we buy. For example, being joggers, we've always got running shoes on their way out. Save them specifically to take on a trip for jogging, then discard them.

+1

We always do this - except we don't jog on vacation... We just beat the snot out of our old sneakers by hiking, etc, so they're completely shot by the end of the trip - or too dirty to repack, even with our dirty laundry. We have left old sneakers behind on almost every continent!

Dirty sneakers for a few bottles of wine is a fair trade, in our book.

Agree with all who say that the donkey trail can be walkable. We did it when we were there. Of course, one of us grew up on a farm, and is used to that kind of "road hazard"...:p

We echo the recommendation to take the bus to Oia. I loved traveling with the locals and the bus stop in Fira is easy to get to and you can spend as long as you wish in Oia.

We were there in May '11 on a b2b (2 Santorini stops) and the 1st time the cable car was a snap going up and going down. We were 1st tender off the ship both times but the 2nd time in port the cable car wait was easily an hour wait to go down. There were 3 other ships in port the 2nd time

I recommend that you take the cable car potential wait into consideration, if you are doing Fira/Oia on your own, when you are trying to get back to the ship on time.

We always do this - except we don't jog on vacation...

We usually do enough walking that we don't, either, truth to be told. Cruises are the exception - we jog and/or walk the track at least once each day.

Of course, one of us grew up on a farm, and is used to that kind of "road hazard"...:p

Yeah...the donkey poop is mostly just processed grass, after all! Just watch out for the fresh stuff - it's slippery, as someone pointed out! :eek:

We did take our shoes off and wipe down the soles with the hand sanitizer they had out in the reboard area and some paper towels before walking the halls and (especially!) our cabin.

...We did take our shoes off and wipe down the soles with the hand sanitizer they had out in the reboard area and some paper towels...

That would make a grat advertisement for the hand sanitizer; "Works on donkey doo, too!" ;)

Check out the site Girls on Tour and they are on facebook. They said restaurant Zafora right near the cable car at top was fabulous reasonable prices and amazing views. They have lots of photos and notes about their trip they are currently on.

Archived