Sailing out of NYC in December

Mijo

Hello everyone!! I'm booked on the Miracle in December sailing out of NYC heading for the Bahamas and I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who has done it before. I know the weather can be unpredictable but how do you pack lightly?! Are the pools and jacuzzis open or do they wait for warmer weather? Is there less activities on board if you can't do any outside due to the weather?? Did you enjoy it and would you do it again?

Any info would be great! Thank you so much!

This will be the first year the Miracle will be sailing from NYC in the winter. In previous years, she heads to Florida in the fall and remains there until early spring. This is the first year she will be year-round in the northeast, only to then be shipped to the west coast and we NYers will then get the Splendor.

We sailed the Pride out of Baltimore a couple of years ago for NYE. I swore never again! It was freezing when we left, never totally warmed up. Weather in Fla and the Bahamas was ok but not hot enough for my tastes. And of course coming home it was freezing again. In fact, getting off the ship in Baltimore was delayed a few hours because they had to de-ice the ship :eek:

That being said, there were some brave souls in the hot tubs before we even pulled out of port in Baltimore :rolleyes:

Out of New York in December? You might as well be doing a trans-Atlantic to England! It's not likely to be very nice until you get way south, as in "Florida".

One bathing suit should do it.

Sorry, but not an ideal time to do one of these cruises. However, yes, weather can be variable, but...;)

We did a cruise in dec and the 1st 2 days are cold and the Atlantic rough... Once you get around Florida the shorts and swimsuits come out and more activity on the outside decks, same as the last 2 days coming back.... Ours was a 10 day. Decided after that one, I don't want cruise out of anywhere but down south.

Not really predictable.

We sailed mid-December out of NYC and by the end of the first sea day it was considerably warmer outside. We had good weather in FL; it was hot during the day but chillier at night, Bahamas was sunny but the water had a chill to it. Last sea day back to NYC was very cold.

I would do it again anyway; not spending one whole day between flying to FL and back is worth it!

We did not have much of a winter this past year. It is a gamble and personal preference for sure. If you book I would allow pre and post time for weather.

I love Miracle she is my favorite of CCL but I would not sail out of NYC in December unless it were free, lol :p

Also we have been in Bahamas via ship on New Years cruises (DEC/JAN) and it's not as warm as you may think there either. better than snow though!

Last year I sailed on The Explorer of the Seas from NJ on Dec01. By the 1st afternoon I was in my shorts and the weather was in the low 60's.The pools and hot tubs were open.

Some evening events that were planned for the Lido Deck were moved indoors.

I believe the Miracle has a pool and 2 hot tubs under the retractable roof.

Thank you all for your responses. It's great to read your point of views. Don't forget that I'm from Montreal and I am used to really cold weather so I think NYC has got nothing on us!! But it is true that last winter was really warm compare to what it usually is. The little bit of warm weather and sun that we will get beats not getting it at all!!

Keep the thread going as I want to read more from you guys!!

Is it considerably cheaper to go during the winter? I loved sailing from NYC and would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm just not sure how much I'd enjoy a balcony in 10 degree weather. When we went to Canada in AUGUST, I was dressed head to foot in fleece.

Is it considerably cheaper to go during the winter? I loved sailing from NYC and would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm just not sure how much I'd enjoy a balcony in 10 degree weather. When we went to Canada in AUGUST, I was dressed head to foot in fleece.

I paid 47$/night for this cruise and since NYC is not that far from Montreal, I don't have to pay for a flight to get there. :D

Unfortunately the weather is the one thing we can't control. My kids actually went to school in shorts this past March! A few years back we had 6 inches of snow in April! Go figure!! I just think it's nice to get away from time to time....

We did not have much of a winter this past year. It is a gamble and personal preference for sure. If you book I would allow pre and post time for weather.

I love Miracle she is my favorite of CCL but I would not sail out of NYC in December unless it were free, lol :p

Also we have been in Bahamas via ship on New Years cruises (DEC/JAN) and it's not as warm as you may think there either. better than snow though!

Based on some of the winter rates for the Miracle out of NYC, they practically are giving it away for free! Makes me wonder how long they can sustain that and keep a ship in NYC year-round. The itinerary is horrible too...there won't be snow, but no guarantee of warm weather in Florida and the Bahamas during winter, at less not bathing suit weather. My preference, no way would I want to spend at least half my vacation in cool weather. That's a waste of vacation to me.

Hello everyone!! I'm booked on the Miracle in December sailing out of NYC heading for the Bahamas and I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who has done it before. I know the weather can be unpredictable but how do you pack lightly?! Are the pools and jacuzzis open or do they wait for warmer weather? Is there less activities on board if you can't do any outside due to the weather?? Did you enjoy it and would you do it again?

Any info would be great! Thank you so much!

You won't get any Carnival feedback as this is the first time they are doing this. You may get some "cross cruiser" advice. I have some cruise board friends that have cruised on NCL in the winter, but I've just been fascinated by their pix of the snow on the Lido deck when that's occurred.

I'm curious how popular these will be, and am looking forward to the reviews. I can easily be suaded to try this is the fares plummet to fill the ship. And there are places to keep warm during the cold parts. The good thing is most of December is still within Fall. However, one experience out of New York one May showed me it gets quite cold out there when the ship starts moving, till you enter the Gulf Stream.

First day and a half to two days is going to be cold and perhaps too cold to use pools.

Takes some time to get down to warmer weather.

This is why we cruise out of Florida in the winter.

So, last day and a half to 2 days the same thing. If you have to travel any distance Florida seems a better port in the winter.

In our case, we would rather drive to Baltimore than fly to FLL, considering the cost of flying and airport hassles. When we sail out of Baltimore in December we will have our winter coats on so that we can spend some time on our balcony for the first day or so. And we will have a great cabin and the whole ship to enjoy. We have cruised the Caribbean many times and, frankly, the ports don't appeal so much anymore. For us, it's more about being on the ship and time to relax and get away:).

Cruised out of NY in the winter on NCL many times and I love it:D I am not a beach....pool, hot weather person so it is great for me. Sailed the day of the the largest snowfall in the City. It was a great adventure, when I got to my cabin someone built a snowman on the balcony:cool:

By the time we got to the Carolinas the weather was warm......return, same thing in reverse.

That said.........I have booked the Miracle for Jan 25.

I'm from a hot desert and don't handle cold very well, but I've sailed out of NYC in mid December and things went fine. There was snow on the ground when I landed at JFK so I was a bit worried, but had a heavy coat which served me well until we got down to warmer weather. I'll admit I didn't swim much on that cruise, but being from the desert, if water is cooler than room temperature I think I'm going to die from hypothermia.

Cruised out of NY in the winter on NCL many times and I love it:D I am not a beach....pool, hot weather person so it is great for me. Sailed the day of the the largest snowfall in the City. It was a great adventure, when I got to my cabin someone built a snowman on the balcony:cool:

By the time we got to the Carolinas the weather was warm......return, same thing in reverse.

That said.........I have booked the Miracle for Jan 25.

Now that to me sounds like an adventure..... Lol!!!

I remember sailing out of NYC in winter about 6 yrs ago. Deck hands were busy chopping ice off lido deck while cooks were doing a cookout on grills at the same time. People standing around in winter coats eating picnic food.... strange! Having said that, the people I was with said never again to cruising out of a northern port in winter but it didn't bother me at all. I found lots to do indoors for the first 2 days. Caught up on my reading and relaxing. By the time we hit FL area it was nice and warm and I enjoyed laying out in the sun and it was perfect weather in bahamas and St Thomas . It was a 9 or 10 night cruise. Was a little depressing on trip back as air got colder and colder, but after that I sailed 2x out of Baltimore in Jan. and loved it too. My friends have kept their promise to never cruise from mid atlantic/northern ports in winter so I guess a cruise in the cold depends on the individual. I was happy just not having to cook or clean, no pressures of work, and because of time of yr I was able to get a great cabin for a bargin price. I was never bored and the food was just as good in winter as it is on a summer cruise !!

Now that to me sounds like an adventure..... Lol!!!

The most difficult part was getting to the ship, we boarded and they closed the Hudson so we dropped anchor right in front of The Lady:D What a sight to wake up to and beautiful sunshine. Smooth sailing the entire trip.

Archived