!4 Day Round Trip Los Angeles to Alaska

mndctrl

We would like a cruise from LA to Alaska RT too. No flying .yea!

There are many ports along the west coast, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Carmel, San Francisco,

Astoria, Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver, and the ports in Alaska that an itinerary could certainly be put together for 14 days.

Sounds like an incredibly dumb idea to me. You waste sea days cruising from LA and then you waste sea days cruising back along the Washington, Oregon and California coast back to LA. I would rather spend 4 or 5 days going back and forth on the Staten Island ferry than do that trip from LA. My bad opinion of the proposed cruise is reinforced by the fact that I regard a visit to LA as a possibility that I would avoid at all costs.

What is the point of the trip? If you want to go to Alaska, you do not want to spend sea days getting there.

Now if they brought back the 14 day round trip to and from Vancouver all the way out to Kodiak stopping at different ports each way, I would grab that in a heartbeat.

Even better, go further out and maybe a one way cruise from Vancouver to Dutch Harbor.

DON

Sounds like an incredibly dumb idea to me. You waste sea days cruising from LA and then you waste sea days cruising back along the Washington, Oregon and California coast back to LA. I would rather spend 4 or 5 days going back and forth on the Staten Island ferry than do that trip from LA. My bad opinion of the proposed cruise is reinforced by the fact that I regard a visit to LA as a possibility that I would avoid at all costs.

What is the point of the trip? If you want to go to Alaska, you do not want to spend sea days getting there.

Now if they brought back the 14 day round trip to and from Vancouver all the way out to Kodiak stopping at different ports each way, I would grab that in a heartbeat.

Even better, go further out and maybe a one way cruise from Vancouver to Dutch Harbor.

DON

It may be dumb to you but that is no reason to insult those of us who LOVE sea days and live close enough to LA to avoid flying! To each his own. I respect the fact that it does not appeal to you but please don't call us "dumb"! WOW!!

It may be dumb to you but that is no reason to insult those of us who LOVE sea days and live close enough to LA to avoid flying! To each his own. I respect the fact that it does not appeal to you but please don't call us "dumb"! WOW!!

I was not saying that anyone who thought it was a good idea was dumb. I was saying to me, it is a really dumb idea. There is a significant difference in the 2 statements.

I am sure that there are a lot of trips that I might think would be neat (such as cruising from Vancouver to Dutch Harbor) that you guys would think are totally dumb. In fact, my wife thinks that that I am daft for thinking that it would be a dumb trip.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

DON

Dumb idea huh?? Well, there are a lot of us that LOVE sea days and don't think they are a "WASTE". Everyone has their own opinion of what a great cruise to them is - just because you don't like it, doesn't make it a"DUMB" idea. Just my opinion, just as you have yours!:D

NEVER too many sea days!!

Aren't the sea days the idea of a cruise. Thank you to those of you who agree with me about a trip from Los Angeles. Going to Hawaii is 4 sea days in a row each way. We went one time and could not get into 2 of the ports and had 6 sea days in a row. I felt bad for those who wanted to go to the ports, but I enjoyed the extra sea days, since I had already been to those ports. The idea is to not have to fly and be on a great cruise. Just to clear things up!

I did this itinerary (Alaska, round trip from L.A.) several years ago on the Royal Viking Star. It was 14 days with 4 ports in Alaska, plus a stop in San Francisco and Vancouver. The sea days were very restful, but had several activities for those who wanted them. I'd do that itinerary again if offered.

This, a 14 day from LA to Alaska round trip, would be a fabulous itinerary for those throngs of us in southern California who, either for health reasons, or for preference, do not want to fly. I would be the first one to sign up for such an intinerary and I know loads of people who would also rush to book it.

Ellie

Sounds like a wonderful idea. DH and I did RT LA to Hawaii last year and really enjoyed it. The sea days to and from were a wonderful buffer between work and vacation and then back to work. Lots of activities onboard, in addition to time to rest. I'd book it!

Edited by writer2B

Aren't the sea days the idea of a cruise. Thank you to those of you who agree with me about a trip from Los Angeles. Going to Hawaii is 4 sea days in a row each way. We went one time and could not get into 2 of the ports and had 6 sea days in a row. I felt bad for those who wanted to go to the ports, but I enjoyed the extra sea days, since I had already been to those ports. The idea is to not have to fly and be on a great cruise. Just to clear things up!

Sea days are our idea of a cruise, couldn't agree with you more. We would book the Alaska cruise out of L.A. in a heartbeat.

As you know, we will be on our third crossing to the Islands in November and loving every minute of all those wonderful sea days!:)

I would love to see a cruise from Vanvouver to LA to Hawaii carrying on to Japan and China. Similar to what the Diamond Princess does except go to Asia via LA and Hawaii. Would love those sea days. As you can tell I prefer sea days to port days.

or better yet, a 10 day Alaska cruise embarking in LA and disembarking in Vancouver...

1 LA

2 sea

3 SF

4 sea

5 sea

6 KetchiKan

7 Juneau

8 Skagway

9 Tracy Arms or Glacier Bay

10 sea

11 Vancouver

and vice versa.

I rather paid a one-way flight and save three sea days.

You can do something like this by adding the YVR to LAX/SFO coastals at then of the Alaska season or reverse just before the beginning of the Alaska season.

We were on a multi-segment cruise two years ago which included Los Angeles to Vancouver. We had a large number of Canadians who spent their holiday in Southern California who took the cruise back to YVR as it was less expensive than air return fare.

Is there anyone besides me who would like a 14 day round trip from Los Angeles to Alaska? I have told someone at Princess at least 20 times, but it is not getting through to them.

I know this is a little off the thread, but what is the reason Princess doesn't go Anchorage? Is the port to shallow?

Is there anyone besides me who would like a 14 day round trip from Los Angeles to Alaska? I have told someone at Princess at least 20 times, but it is not getting through to them.

I'd like to see this itinerary also but with over 1000 views to this thread and 43 responses I don't think its going to sway Princess.

I would jump on that cruise in a Los Angeles Minute! A stop in San Fran and Seattle would be great, and then up to Alaska!!

DON

Don... I'm not sure I'd call it dumb... everyone has a preference...

while you may not like the sea days and call them a waste, there are many, like myself that totally enjoy the sea days. We take the 14 day cruise to Hawaii annually... it's 4 sea days over and 4 sea days back. they are very relaxing and we enjoy every one of them! It is obvious, that others also enjoy the sea days of the Hawaiian cruise... those cruises are always sold out.

Edited by mikjr

Living on the west coast I feel slightly neglected by Princess :confused: when compared to the cruises leaving from the east coast. Flying has become a pain in the a..s and we avoid it as much as possible. Here on the west coast we are "greatfull" to get the older ships to take us on longer cruises to Hawaii or shorter ones to Alaska and Mexico. Why can't we get one of the newer ships which cruise the caribbean waters i.e. Ruby,Emerald,or Crown?? There a ton of people living along the west coast who would love longer trips to Alaska and also newer ships. As an elite princess cruiser who has traveled to Hawaii 6 times during my 25 cruises with Princess I am starting to feel like the not very loved stepchild of the cruise industry. Not all of us want to fly overseas for the priveledge of cruising on one of the newer ships (have been there and done every port in Europe and far east) It is time the industry pays more respect to the west coast and offering more options. I am sure we would fill up their ships and coffers.:D

Living on the west coast I feel slightly neglected by Princess :confused: when compared to the cruises leaving from the east coast. Flying has become a pain in the a..s and we avoid it as much as possible. Here on the west coast we are "greatfull" to get the older ships to take us on longer cruises to Hawaii or shorter ones to Alaska and Mexico. Why can't we get one of the newer ships which cruise the caribbean waters i.e. Ruby,Emerald,or Crown?? There a ton of people living along the west coast who would love longer trips to Alaska and also newer ships. As an elite princess cruiser who has traveled to Hawaii 6 times during my 25 cruises with Princess I am starting to feel like the not very loved stepchild of the cruise industry. Not all of us want to fly overseas for the priveledge of cruising on one of the newer ships (have been there and done every port in Europe and far east) It is time the industry pays more respect to the west coast and offering more options. I am sure we would fill up their ships and coffers.:D

Well said.

Mexico is boring. Either the ports are not served by Princess any longer or the ports that are, don't interest us. After 6 RT to Hawai we long for another no-fly destination and Alaska would be great.

My prefere is as many sea days on cruise as possible. My DS cant stand sea days.She is currently on a 21 day with 3 sea days.

21 day cruise with only 3 sea days? Wow, I think I would need another vacation after that just to rest. I enjoy sea days but I also enjoy seeing different ports. I really like a sea day at the beginning of the cruise. Gives me a chance to chill from packing and traveling to the port, etc.

Edited by cruiserjanet