Data Protection Issue

davyjones

Exactly.

Does anyone else feel sorry for the poor blighter, probably paid little more than the minimum wage, who pressed the wrong button and is probably having a miserable weekend?

Mary

Hi Mary. Sometimes files get attached to e-mails without the sender's knowledge or consent. Worms, viruses, malware - great fun for some, for others, not so much.

So right now the only people I'm feeling sorry for is those passengers who did not want their personal information provided on Voyage Personalizer made available to strangers. Just to add that since there is more than one incident mentioned on this forum about files with personal information about other passengers being attached in a routine e-mail, I would hazzard a guess that there is an issue with security that needs to be addressed.

Regards,

Salacia

I agree entirely - in fact I was just going to post something along the same lines. So, I will just add a codicil to the 3GC law - once you are above the SUL, the bigger the screw-up the greater the promotion!

J

A bit like the six stages of british invention:

Innovation

Jubilation

Sobriety

Search for the guilty

Punnishment of the innocent

Bonuses for senior management

I don't have an active Cunard booking at the moment, but I'd be surprised if credit card info is accessible within the Voyage Personalizer. Is yours?

Correct. Credit card information is not inside your Voyage Personaliser.

The Voyage Personaliser is up and running again now. The reference number I was given for my forthcoming cruise is still the same and works okay.

Just worked for me as well. Sadly, it did not show an upgrade.

Jeanne

Just got the email with the new booking number. I checked all the details, and it had the wrong cabin number. Not an upgrade, just a different cabin. And the creepy part is, it's the cabin we had last winter. So I called Cunard and when the agent pulled up the record, she saw the correct cabin number.

Just to be on the safe side, I went into cunard's site and tried to look at the voyage personalizer. It couldn't show me my travel summary because the computer thinks I made the booking in the last 24 hours. But I looked at the personal info, and the emergency contact info said it was incomplete. I know I did everything I had to when I made the booking. I went through and checked passport numbers and expiry dates. they were OK. I entered the emergency contact info, and now Cunard says our info is complete.

So if you have a booking with Cunard, don't assume your info is correct. Go into the voyage personalizer and double-check everything!!!!!

By the time I had updated the emergency contact info, I discovered that I had a new email with an updated reservation form--and the cabin number is correct on that one.

Cunard, gotta love 'em. :rolleyes:

A quick update--I have just received my FOURTH booking confirmation email from Cunard.

sigh.

Well, be relieved knowing that they're thinking of you. :D

My voyage was not the one affected by the email distribution. Nonetheless, I checked the information to make sure nothing was lost and that my shore excursions were still there.

Well, be relieved knowing that they're thinking of you. :D

My voyage was not the one affected by the email distribution. Nonetheless, I checked the information to make sure nothing was lost and that my shore excursions were still there.

Oh goody, the Cunard computer is my new BFF. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the data was for a specific voyage, or just a random list of passengers?

It's interesting that all of the communications from Cunard refer to a systems error or something like that. They do not admit they released information.

24 hours ago I received the "Emergency Notice" that a new confirmation number would be issued within the next 48 hours. But just now, I was able to log in to "Voyage Personaliser" using my old confirmation number. One would think that upon issuing the EN that all the old confirmation numbers would be disabled, but not so.

Doesn't inspire confidence in Cunard controlling their systems handling.

I think where fraudsters might make use of information contained in the pax data would be the emergency contacts info that we have provided to Cunard. A fraudster could contact the relative or whoever, pretending to be Cunard or even the pax him/herself and ask for emergency funds to be transmitted.

I think someone at Cunard has to answer for this breach.

I've just sent the following email to Cunard World Club; don't know what good it will do, though:

"Dear Cunard World Club

24 hours ago I received Cunard's "Emergency Notice" that a new confirmation number would be issued within the next 48 hours. But just now, I was able to log in to "Voyage Personaliser" using my old confirmation number. One would think that upon issuing the EN that all the old confirmation numbers would be disabled immediately, but not so. I don't know if my data were amongst those erroneously distributed.

Where fraudsters might make use of information contained in the pax data would be the emergency contacts info that we have provided to Cunard. With this emergency contacts info, a fraudster could contact the relative/friend or whoever, pretending to be Cunard or even the pax him/herself and ask for emergency funds to be transmitted.

I think someone at Cunard has to answer for this breach of data security."

partial quote

Hi mariepr. From what I've read on this thread, the concern is not what might have been lost, but rather what has been exposed (made public). Also from at least one previous comment, it seems that this is not an isolated incident.

Glad to read that your exursions are still there. How goes your passport information? Was that exposed? -Rhetorical question, of course, since Cunard has issued no statement regarding the cause or extent of the security breach.

Best wishes,

Salacia

24 hours ago I received the "Emergency Notice" that a new confirmation number would be issued within the next 48 hours. But just now, I was able to log in to "Voyage Personaliser" using my old confirmation number. One would think that upon issuing the EN that all the old confirmation numbers would be disabled, but not so.

I think where fraudsters might make use of information contained in the pax data would be the emergency contacts info that we have provided to Cunard. A fraudster could contact the relative or whoever, pretending to be Cunard or even the pax him/herself and ask for emergency funds to be transmitted.

I think someone at Cunard has to answer for this breach.

Tangoll, previous posts indicate that other passengers have also not been assigned a new booking number, despite Cuanard notice that the booking numbers would be changed.

Your example of what use fraudsters could make of the exposed information is a good one, but only one of a number of vunerabilites, some with far more serious implications.

I share your concern.

Regards,

Salacia

partial quote

Hi mariepr. From what I've read on this thread, the concern is not what might have been lost, but rather what has been exposed (made public). Also from at least one previous comment, it seems that this is not an isolated incident.

Glad to read that your exursions are still there. How goes your passport information? Was that exposed? -Rhetorical question, of course, since Cunard has issued no statement regarding the cause or extent of the security breach.

Best wishes,

Salacia

I'm sorry that you interpreted my reply to 3rdGenCunarder as concern only for my own conveniences.

Quiet rightly the real problem is the release of personal passenger data that can be used by marketers (at best) or criminals (at worst).

I'm sorry that you interpreted my reply to 3rdGenCunarder as concern only for my own conveniences.

Quiet rightly the real problem is the release of personal passenger data that can be used by marketers (at best) or criminals (at worst).

I didn't see your response as selfish in any way, so not to worry about that. glad to hear your info was unchanged.

I took the time this morning to print out all FOUR of the booking confirmations I received yesterday. Not one of them is correct. First, there was the wrong cabin number. Then the deposit showed as zero. Then the deposit appeared.

Versions 1-3 all showed the add-on for coach airfare. We are on a TA and booked the one-way air through Cunard. I chose dates, using my one air deviation, and I paid for an upgrade to Virgin's "premium economy." The upgrade was a bit more than I had hoped for, but I really wanted the comfort and convenience that would get me.

Version 4 shows the base price for coach and the upgrade to business. BUT the upgrade cost was DOUBLE what I had been quoted on the original reservation.

So, after 10 minutes on the phone with Cunard and a half hour waiting for a call back. it's sorted out and Cunard agreed that my original upgrade price was what I should pay.

So please, anyone who got a new booking number, check EVERYTHING!!! Make sure your deposit is recorded and that all charges are as they were on your original booking!!!!!

...I took the time this morning to print out all FOUR of the booking confirmations I received yesterday. Not one of them is correct. First, there was the wrong cabin number. Then the deposit showed as zero. Then the deposit appeared.

Versions 1-3 all showed the add-on for coach airfare. We are on a TA and booked the one-way air through Cunard. I chose dates, using my one air deviation, and I paid for an upgrade to Virgin's "premium economy." The upgrade was a bit more than I had hoped for, but I really wanted the comfort and convenience that would get me.

Version 4 shows the base price for coach and the upgrade to business. BUT the upgrade cost was DOUBLE what I had been quoted on the original reservation. ...

You don't think Cunard might have outsourced their IT stuff to the same firm that are looking after the Royal Bank of Scotland's do you?

J

Would that be MartiData, Ltd?

Doubt it, unless credit card details were also available:D.

Every time companies foul up, they make things 1,000 times worse by failing to satisfactorily and rapidly resolve the problem - most accept that everyone makes mistakes; it's how the aftermath is dealt with that causes such inconvenience and annoyance.

Mary

Does anyone know if the data was for a specific voyage, or just a random list of passengers?

I've been wondering that too. I am on the Nov 20th, 2012 W'bound Crossing. If you are on a different voyage, post as much here, and then we'll know.

I didn't see your response as selfish in any way, so not to worry about that. glad to hear your info was unchanged.

I took the time this morning to print out all FOUR of the booking confirmations I received yesterday. Not one of them is correct. First, there was the wrong cabin number. Then the deposit showed as zero. Then the deposit appeared.

Version 4 shows the base price for coach and the upgrade to business. BUT the upgrade cost was DOUBLE what I had been quoted on the original reservation.

So, after 10 minutes on the phone with Cunard and a half hour waiting for a call back. it's sorted out and Cunard agreed that my original upgrade price was what I should pay.

So please, anyone who got a new booking number, check EVERYTHING!!! Make sure your deposit is recorded and that all charges are as they were on your original booking!!!!!

I know we had a conversation,an hour ago, here about passport # compromised by Cunard, but I can't seem to find it. or am I losing my mind?

I have a new booking on Cunard, so I will call them and make sure its ok.

Thanks!

Archived