hot stone massage question

I have hundreds of massages in my life ranging from chair massages to 1.5 hr hot stones. I always have at least one on each cruise. To date, I have only had one I did not like, and that was a chair massage by a granny who hardly gave any pressure. I kept saying "don't worry, you won't hurt me" and "more pressure please.". I honestly think my dog would give me a better massage! Point is, it's about the therapist and your communicating your wants and neeeds. I would recommend you going on the first day when you get a free hand massage or same of hot stones. See if one of the therapists has a touch you like.

Cruise line and resort massages can be pricey but I always treat myself to the indulgence. Folks complain about the sometimes aggressive sales pitches to buy products but I firmly and pleasantly state I have made a large investment for products at home and don't need a thing!

For anybody that has done this would you recommend it or would you tell us to stay away?

What was your experience with this?

Bill

I make it a point to get a hot stone massage on every cruise. I don't know if it's the motion of the ship or just a total vacation relaxation state of mind, but I feel it's worth every penny or two or three.

Pat

I've had hot stone massages both on land and on a cruise and I definitely don't think they are worth the extra money at all. I don't think the stones add anything to the experience or the intensity of the massage. That said, if you've never done it, there's certainly no harm in trying it once! I was not impressed but maybe you will love it! :)

It is the one thing I do for myself on every cruise. Massage. AH!! I have done the hot stone several times. I think it is one of the best type of massages to get. I will add it really does depend on your therapsit. Some are much better then others. Just like DMH15 mentioned communication with the massage therapist.. A must. They don't know what you prefer unless you let them know.. Enjoy!!!

Have done many hot stone massages as well as many other kinds, trying to find a favorite that doesn't end up hurting me more (I have spinal issues). I like hot stone massages, but the motion isn't the best for my muscles, and the ones I have had on NCL were not my favorites of this variety. On my last cruise I tried the Thai Poultice massage and it was beyond divine, simply amazing! The motion of this particular kind of massage (rolling instead of kneading like a hand massage or pushing like a stone massage) was perfect for my muscles and the lymph drainage was highly effective, making it a perfect combination for my particular needs. Not too hard (I like a hard massage, but often end up feeling bruised afterwards) and not too soft (where you feel relaxed but still tight) - with the deep heat factor of the poultices built in (like the stones), all in all a great combination. I highly recommend this massage and I am searching for someone to provide them near my home.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My personal feelings on the hot stone massage.

I have them twice, once on a ship and the other time at the American Club. I don't think I'll go for them any more. I would just rather have a regular swedish or deep tissue as I feel I get more benefit from that form of massage.

I wasn't unhappy with the hot stones, I just left feeling that the massuse didn't work the kinks out as well as a 'normal' massage.

I've only had one hot stone massage, and it was on NCL. I thought it was worth it. I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Felt more "relaxing" than a deep tissue massage. So, if you are looking for a more intense massage to really help your aches and pains, this isn't it. There are good massages I've had where I walked out feeling "worked out." If you want to relax and have a more gentle massage, this feels really good.

My salon does hot stone pedicures and I love it but I don't think it would be worth my cruise money. I have done massages while on cruises but not on the ship. I have booked spa excursions (on my own of course) and those have been worth every penny!

I think it depends on what you're looking for. A Swedish massage is very relaxing and soothing, while a deep-tissue massage is more therapeutic, where the masseur finds the "knots" and works them out. A hot-stone massage tends to be more of the relaxing/soothing type. You'll probably enjoy it but if you've got some serious kinks and knots, this isn't going to have any long-term results.

Don't forget to drink lots of water afterwards -- the massage will release toxins built up in your body and you need to flush them out or you'll get sore!

For anybody that has done this would you recommend it or would you tell us to stay away?

What was your experience with this?

Bill

My experience? An upper back 3rd degree burn at a well-respected spa (not on a cruise ship). Never again.

My personal feelings on the hot stone massage.

I have them twice, once on a ship and the other time at the American Club. I don't think I'll go for them any more. I would just rather have a regular swedish or deep tissue as I feel I get more benefit from that form of massage.

I wasn't unhappy with the hot stones, I just left feeling that the massuse didn't work the kinks out as well as a 'normal' massage.

I second this. The stones are a disappointing gimmick, and worse still because you're paying more for them. The most overpriced and mediocre massage I ever had was a hot stone massage on a Carnival cruise.

I had one hot stone massage at a well respected spa - Elizabeth Arden's Red Door spa a couple years ago and the stones were way too hot for me. I did not enjoy it at all :(.

So, now that I've tried it once...I know I don't like it. My skin and tolerence for that kind of heat is obviously not compatible with the temperature of those stones!!!

I will happily stick to the more relaxing sweedish massage.

I agree. I get hot stones and parafin with my pedi. One time I decided to cut back and skipped those elements. That's all it took... One time. I love the hot stones. I have never had them burn me. I love the heat.

I also love an exfoliating rub massage.

Heck, truth be told I love ALL massages, facials, mani/pedis, etc. Even hair cuts. I love being pampered, I guess.

I think it depends on what you're looking for. A Swedish massage is very relaxing and soothing, while a deep-tissue massage is more therapeutic, where the masseur finds the "knots" and works them out. A hot-stone massage tends to be more of the relaxing/soothing type. You'll probably enjoy it but if you've got some serious kinks and knots, this isn't going to have any long-term results.

Don't forget to drink lots of water afterwards -- the massage will release toxins built up in your body and you need to flush them out or you'll get sore!

Hot stone massage is the most relaxing massage I have ever had. I get them once a week while at home and every day when cruising. It is the only thing that does work out the kinks for me. Deep tissue is too painful and I tense up too much and knots get worse. Slow, warm motions with the stone relax and unwind me.

Archived