No Jacket? - Formal Night - Med Cruise

Samantha781

I just think it is interesting that the OP posed a question and so far there have been about 50 replies. Yet, for reasons unknown, she fails to acknowledge the effort that so many people have made at her request.

I just think it is interesting that the OP posed a question and so far there have been about 50 replies. Yet, for reasons unknown, she fails to acknowledge the effort that so many people have made at her request.

Maybe they always knew what they were going to do and just wanted some confirmation/justification on their decision. The dress code is there to be seen. Why ask the question unless you want to go against it or think you can get away with it. Similar topic to bringing Alcohol on board, policy versus reality.:D

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be cruising the Mediterranean on the Equinox on July 2nd. We are trying to pack as minimalistic as possible since its a 2 week vacation.

Can my husband wear a dress shirt,tie and dress pants to the Main Dining Room on formal night? Will he be turned away for not wearing a jacket??

thanks!

Samantha

Please dress appropriately. I am so annoyed at the people on our Alaska cruise, I may just not cruise on Celebrity anymore.

If you can afford to go on a vacation, take a jacket. It isn't that big of a deal.

There are a lot of opinions and personal bias in this thread. Reading back I still think I presented the most accurate set of facts in my post (#3 in this thread) which included the following:

• Unfortunately Celebrity has been inconsistent in their enforcement of the formal night dress code.
  • The bottom line is that your husband may or may not be allowed in without a jacket.

Those are the facts.

If I were to include my own personal bias I'd tell you that you MUST wear a proper tux, that virtually every other man does so, and that if you attempt to dine without one you'll be humiliated, fined a gazillion dollars and forced to walk the plank. But instead of making up things based on my formal night bias I've present the basic facts. These are based on both my own observations in recent years and on reading a lot of threads and member reports here on cruise critic.

TUX NO. My husband doesn't own one, but he has a very expensive Italian suit that looks fantastic. Wish the masses looked that good

Do whatever you want. Wear the appropriate clothes and you will have no problem.

Where whatever you want, and you may have a problem, and then you must accept eating in the buffet.

I will not judge you, and you will not affect my happiness.

I hope you have received enought information on this thread to make an educated decision.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Why do I open these threads? It's like Groundhog Day the movie.

Re-run for the 27,674 th time.:)

I open them to see if the number of clueless misinformants who are spreading their bad information is growing. I am pleased to report that so far their populations seems to be holding steady. :D

Some say go to the buffet. But what if you don't want to go to the buffet? Go to the MDR and enjoy your meal.

I'd like to flip this around. "Some say to dress formally. But what if you don't want to dress formally? Go to the buffet and enjoy your meal. Or eat in your statroom."

I personally dislike people advising to just head to the dining room and go for it. Some are assuming that they'll be issued a jacket if there's a problem. How many of these jackets does Celebrity have? Why should they have to dress the passengers? I say Celebrity is missing out on a source of revenue. If someone wants to eat in the MDR on formal night but doesn't have appropriate clothing for whatever reason, charge them a fee that will bring them up to dress code. They may have to set up a small shop/fitting room, hopefully well away from the dining room in order to equip the diners.

Otherwise, there are other food options available.

Edited by thebutlerdidit

I'd like to flip this around. "Some say to dress formally. But what if you don't want to dress formally? Go to the buffet and enjoy your meal. Or eat in your statroom."

I personally dislike people advising to just head to the dining room and go for it. Some are assuming that they'll be issued a jacket if there's a problem. How many of these jackets does Celebrity have? Why should they have to dress the passengers? I say Celebrity is missing out on a source of revenue. If someone wants to eat in the MDR on formal night but doesn't have appropriate clothing for whatever reason, charge them a fee that will bring them up to dress code. They may have to set up a small shop/fitting room, hopefully well away from the dining room in order to equip the diners.

Otherwise, there are other food options available.

Hahaha. Your post really did have me LOL! But then it ocurred to me that the cruise lines monitor these boards and you have just given them a new idea to help "maximize onboard revenue."

Hank

In three weeks we are taking our children and seven grandchildren to Alaska on the Infinity. The kids are five to fifteen. I have suggested that for the four boys, a blazer and tie should be okay for formal nights. Ditto for the four grown up men. The girls and ladies will be wearing a little sparkle. Please, tell me if this will be okay for dining in the MDR.

This is our first Celebrity cruise and we are eager not to change any of the line's culture.

Why do I open these threads? It's like Groundhog Day the movie.

Thanks for stating the obvious - my thoughts exactly. Like banging my head against the wall over, and over, and over again. :D

Just had the same feeling while reading a four-page thread on why steam irons aren't allowed on ships... Maybe the programmers at the CC boards could come up with a filter that would automatically direct posters to the FAQ when they ask the same questions over and over again?

Sorry - kinda grumpy today. Thank God my next cruise is just a few days away. ;)

Cheers,

Luc

Thanks for stating the obvious - my thoughts exactly. Like banging my head against the wall over, and over, and over again. :D

Just had the same feeling while reading a four-page thread on why steam irons aren't allowed on ships.

It's like slowing down when driving by a car crash so we don't miss it if there is anything interesting.

In three weeks we are taking our children and seven grandchildren to Alaska on the Infinity. The kids are five to fifteen. I have suggested that for the four boys, a blazer and tie should be okay for formal nights. Ditto for the four grown up men. The girls and ladies will be wearing a little sparkle. Please, tell me if this will be okay for dining in the MDR.

This is our first Celebrity cruise and we are eager not to change any of the line's culture.

You will be absolutely fine. This thread started out with the question of whether a man will be admitted on formal night without a jacket. There are mixed opinions about this, but I don't think anyone would seriously contend that someone in a blazer and tie would have any issue. I'm sure your family will look very smart and I hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

I doubt that they wouldn't let someone in wearing a blazer but it doesn't fit Celebrity's definition of formal wear. The majority wear suits and tuxes as requested.

Edited by Ma Bell

This will be just fine.

Enjoy your cruise.

I doubt that they wouldn't let someone in wearing a blazer but it doesn't fit Celebrity's definition of formal wear. The majority wear suits and tuxes as requested.

Brazers are great! The above has not been true for us - very few tuxes, some suits and the same number or more jackets. You will NOT feel out of place and I'll bet the farm nobody will mention it or care.,

Brazers are great! The above has not been true for us - very few tuxes, some suits and the same number or more jackets. You will NOT feel out of place and I'll bet the farm nobody will mention it or care.,

That's great. I'm sure you have a lot more experience than I do.

I think you may have put the cruiseline onto a winner here. Wait on they already have suits and tux's for hire (need to organise pre-cruise). I think the cruise lines don't care enough to warrant that kind of set up. It's still a good idea though.:D

It isn't strictly formal but you will not have a problem.

In all these threads, I find it a little bit sexist that to be formal a man must wear a jacket (tux, suit, blazer, etc) while women can wear whatever they like really as long as it looks dressy. :D

What else looks dressy for a man?

A nice collared shirt and trousers may look dressy but is hardly formal (even for celebrity's standards). A women can wear a nice blouse and black slacks with some bling and get in just as easily.

While Tuxedo's may be rare and Suits/jackets may be getting that way. Cocktail/formal gowns are even rarer.:D