MS AMSTERDAM 14 Day Alaska - June 15, 2012 - Endless Daylight!

nobbync

Thank you all for the great comments... One thing I forgot to add on my Ketchikan to Tracy Arm report has to do with the Inside Passage. In all my cruises we always came down to Ketchikan so we never were awake as we came in from the north. Or at least that is the way I thought they came. So when heading to Ketchikan I know the area south is nice but not that great so we did not wake up early. We planned to stay up as we headed north. Well we headed south and went outside to the open ocean and went around. Not sure if tides had to do with it but we did go back outside instead of staying in the Inside Passage. We was looking forward to new scenery for us.

Comic Con is starting so no more updates till that is over on Sunday. Sorry for the delay, thought I could get it all done before but unfortunately I am too busy so everyone can take a break and I will return in 5 days.

Enjoy your week...

Nobby

Kazu, Alaska is fabulous! I don't know if Sail7seas ever posted a trip report, but she and DH went dor the first time this year. I would love to know if she concurs.

Sails did post a review within a thread someone had started. She did enjoy Alaska very much from what she wrote. Not sure if she did a dedicated review as I have not looked.

Nobby...really enjoying your review...Alaska is our on to do list at some point in time...getting Frank there is the issue:D

Enjoy Comic Con..we'll be here when you get back:):):)

All the Alaska cruises go through parts of the Inside Passage.

That is why technically they all can accurately claim that they cruise in the Inside Passage.

Yes, Tracy Arm is in the Inside Passage.

However, some cruises travel through far more of the Inside Passage than others, which is what causes the confusion with the use of the term.

Furthermore, even when cruising through the Inside Passage, some of the channels are narrower and more scenic than others, so not all Inside Passage cruises are equal.

If you get lucky on one of the smaller ships heading north, your captain sometimes may take you through some passages where the larger cruise ships can't go.

The term "Inside Passage" encompasses the various channels between the mainland and the islands off the coasts of both Alaska and British Columbia, the entire network of passages through the islands.

Sometimes the term "lower inside passage or "Canadian Inside Passage" is used to differentiate the part of the Inside Passage that lies in Canadian waters, but usually not.

That is the part to which people refer when they discuss the differences between cruises that travel the Inside Passage on the scenic east side of Vancouver Island and those that go "outside" around the west side in open ocean.

To add to the confusion, there are also different locations at which a ship that goes "outside" may enter the Inside Passage, so on some of the outside routes you may get more time cruising out "At Sea" before entering the Inside Passage than on others.

Unless people are aware of what they are missing, they may be satisfied with the common brushoff answer telling them not to worry because their ship will cruise through the Inside Passage.

This is similar to the way that people who are not familiar with Denali Park go up to Denali, take the Natural History Tour, and then return home thinking that they have seen Denali without any awareness of how much they missed.

I wholeheartily agree with you. maybe that is why HAL put it as "cruising Vancouver Island. (CO), I have been on the east coast of Vancouver, and that was fabulous! much like going up a river and very scenic. My TA's description said " Inside Passage", I was quite dissapointed that we did not get to cruise that particular portion again. this is the first year I have seen that "cruising Vancouver Island" , I wonder if HAL is a little mis leading in their telling me that any tracey arm IS the inside passage?

doesn't matter now, We still had a fabulous time!!:)

Alaska has never been on my 'bucket' list but your fabulous pictures may just change my mind:) Absolutely wonderful, wonderful pics - you are very talented:)

:eek: NOT on your bucket list??? :eek: OH KAZU....you NEED to go to Alaska. I have been 7 times and am trying to get someone to go with me on the Amsterdam for the final 14 day cruise in September. If Nobby doesnt convince you, I dont know what will.....what more can I say to you other than YOU HAVE TO GO TO ALASKA...

:eek: NOT on your bucket list??? :eek: OH KAZU....you NEED to go to Alaska. I have been 7 times and am trying to get someone to go with me on the Amsterdam for the final 14 day cruise in September. If Nobby doesnt convince you, I dont know what will.....what more can I say to you other than YOU HAVE TO GO TO ALASKA...

I AGREE!! not many people that do Alaska, only do it once!! we have been 4 times now. It is always different, but always good!!

Comic Con is starting so no more updates till that is over on Sunday. Sorry for the delay, thought I could get it all done before but unfortunately I am too busy so everyone can take a break and I will return in 5 days.

Enjoy your week...

Nobby

Nobby,

Thank you for such an amazing report and spectacular photography!!! You have pumped us up even more -- if that's possible -- for our Sept. 7th sailing!:D:D

We truly look forward to when you have time to share more with us.

Thanks again!

Nobby,

Thank you for such an amazing report and spectacular photography!!! You have pumped us up even more -- if that's possible -- for our Sept. 7th sailing!:D:D

We truly look forward to when you have time to share more with us.

Thanks again!

:confused: :confused: Do you have room in your cabin for me???? :rolleyes:

Great review! We just got off the Amsterdam today and had a wonderful time also. Unfortunately we didn't have quite as nice weather as you guys did, but it was a great cruise overall. I will post a review also as soon as I get organized.

Great review! We just got off the Amsterdam today and had a wonderful time also. Unfortunately we didn't have quite as nice weather as you guys did, but it was a great cruise overall. I will post a review also as soon as I get organized.

will be looking forward to your review. sorry your weather wasn't as nice as the June 1st cruise, I think the 15th cruise deteriorated a bit too. even with less than perfect weather, the cruise is still spectacular!!

Love the photos.

We're crusing the Amsterdam 14 Day Alaska Adventure on July 27th and were wondering about the best excursions you might recommend. My husband is a photographer and I have some disabilities and am much slower. I really want to see whales and he wants to see scenery. Thanks for any suggestions. Turtle0246:)

Love the photos.

We're crusing the Amsterdam 14 Day Alaska Adventure on July 27th and were wondering about the best excursions you might recommend. My husband is a photographer and I have some disabilities and am much slower. I really want to see whales and he wants to see scenery. Thanks for any suggestions. Turtle0246:)

Good Morning Turtle0246!

We have a good group on the Roll Calls and are planning a Meet and Greet. Please come and join us!

My husband has disabilities (mobility) and we've done several cruises. He's on oxygen and uses a scooter to get around. I refuse to let him stay home and sit - he's getting out and doing things!

Karen

Thanks Karen.

I am only on oxygen at night now, but we will be bringing the oxygen concentrator.

Had R hip replaced on May 25th and can now walk with a cane but we are bringing the w/c due to endurance difficulties from the Lupus.

I really am looking forward to the cruise, and hoping we can find whales and some good photographic opportunities for my husband.

Any suggestions are welcome if anyone has found something via cruise critic or by personal research.

Am thinking about the Ketchikan Taxi Cam Tours in the van that will hold 6 people with local guides who can get out from the crowds where the wildlife are. Read about it at cruise critic and contacted David and Kat. Cost is divided among the passengers and if there are 6 then it is possible to divide 6 into the $74/hr or something like that. So far we would be the only 2 if we definitely decide to try it. Can't talk to my husband until after his photographic projects this week end.

If you know anyone who might also be interested in photography, etc. who might like to share a van that would be very helpful.

I will likely stay in the van if the ground looks uneven, is gravel, etc.

Thanks for your response. Will look forward to the meeting of the group.

Linda

Thanks Karen.

I am only on oxygen at night now, but we will be bringing the oxygen concentrator.

Had R hip replaced on May 25th and can now walk with a cane but we are bringing the w/c due to endurance difficulties from the Lupus.

I really am looking forward to the cruise, and hoping we can find whales and some good photographic opportunities for my husband.

Any suggestions are welcome if anyone has found something via cruise critic or by personal research.

Am thinking about the Ketchikan Taxi Cam Tours in the van that will hold 6 people with local guides who can get out from the crowds where the wildlife are. Read about it at cruise critic and contacted David and Kat. Cost is divided among the passengers and if there are 6 then it is possible to divide 6 into the $74/hr or something like that. So far we would be the only 2 if we definitely decide to try it. Can't talk to my husband until after his photographic projects this week end.

If you know anyone who might also be interested in photography, etc. who might like to share a van that would be very helpful.

I will likely stay in the van if the ground looks uneven, is gravel, etc.

Thanks for your response. Will look forward to the meeting of the group.

Linda

We were on the June 15th sailing. My husband is a photographer and I have heart issues that limit my exertion level. We did the Land and Sea Photo Safari in Juneau (one offered by the ship). I was wonderful! I didn't want to do the "hiking" at Mendenhall, so they gave me a card and I spent the time in the visitors center (very crowded, but very nice). I could easily see the glacier and got some nice photos of my own. There is a limit of 14 people for the group. The second half, we were in an enclosed boat with windows set up for the best photography (they swung out of the way and were secured above the window opening). There is a bit of a step going into the boat, but pretty minor. Much easier to get on than the 6-passenger boats we were on. I got the number of the operator from shore excursions and was able to get some of the nitty gritty before we booked. For the sea part, we saw eagles, harbor seals, humpbacks, and orcas. It was great!

Getting in to the smaller boats might still be difficult for you. They do give wonderful whale watching opportunities--but some of the larger boats seemed to do well with whale sightings too.

We did a float plane in Ketchikan. It is a bit awkward getting in and out of the plane, but well worth it. Although my husband doesn't do heights or small places well (he is 6'4"), he loved it! Island Wings actually stops at an island in Misty Fjords and you can get out and take pictures, etc. Most just stop on a lake and let you get out on the pontoons. Not too safe if you have mobility problems! Friends did the Taxicab Tour and loved it. There would be lots to see even from the vehicle.

We did a few of the smaller boats, and it worked out great. However, I'm not post hip replacement! We rented a wheelchair that was delivered to our cabin. We were on lower promenade. It did take up a good bit of room--kind of like the 500 lb gorilla in the room! The ship's wheel chair assistance on embarkation was great. It was not so good getting off.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Carol

Sorry for the delay everyone. Comic Con is over and I am tired but can now continue with my review...

HOMER

My original plans in Homer were to go to Gull Island. In Anchorage I got hit hard with the allergies and other issues so I did not feel well so decided to just walk the Homer Spit. That way we can take our time and stop anytime needed. They had a shuttle bus that ran to the main town and the main area of the spit. The walk around is about 1 1/2 miles and all the way to Lands End is a little over 2 miles. It is all an even/flat walk but some areas or dirt/gravel. We walked it because around the Spit you can sometimes see sea otters and of course eagles.

Just getting of the ship the Black Legged Kitiwakes were all nesting on the pier. This gal got up to show me her egg and then sat right back down...

i-xW9GGBV-L.jpg

We looked for The Time Bandit but it was not in port today. There was active fishing going on and cleaning fish so it was fun to just walk and talk to some of the locals. We had a lot of good views back to the ship.

i-Zd6gPkt-L.jpg

Took us awhile but we finally got into the main shopping area of the spit. Shops were more local art and things and I liked the area a lot. It seemed like a 60's folksy type town with lots of great arts & crafts. Listened to a band play outside a store and just walked the stores.

i-Bv8dMK7-L.jpg

After leaving the town we headed towards Lands End. A sailing regatta was taking place and it was really a nice day. Cool but sunny. Towards Lands End there was a great row of houses on the beach. Summer this place would be a great place to live.

i-ZwGksRB-L.jpg

The walk back was all about eagles. This one we got to within about 15 feet of him.

i-hMCDkzf-L.jpg

We also found this eagles nest.

i-P4VDDmR-L.jpg

Next up is Kodiak.

Nobby

Thanks everyone for the great replies... It is fun reliving the adventure... And for those of you still wondering if you should do Alaska, well, I have traveled to many places around the world and to all 50 states and Alaska to me is the most scenic place I had been. Now I may have seen some spectacular locations like the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, the Crimea, safari in Kenya and many more but for the vast size of it all Alaska beats all of them. Now a lot will have to do with weather and other things but this was my 3rd trip to Alaska and each time has shown me new things. Just do your homework and read these boards and places like Trip Adviser as well and I can't emphasize this enough, keep looking outside the ship or you might miss something spectacular. I think i said this early in my review but we were eating in the lido one day about halfway through the cruise and a group at the table next to us said they had not seen wildlife yet. As they said this a puffin was flying right by the window and it was that close. By this time we had seen lots and lots of wildlife but this is not a zoo. They are wild animals and they don't do things on a time table. If wildlife and nature is your priority then shopping in the stores in port or playing bingo on the ship will not give you much of a chance to see any. Not saying that as an insult to anyone, just saying you need to decide what you want out of the trip. Heck, i am a sucker for movies so I do watch movies on the ship but I also try to be out on deck as much as possible or at least look out on both sides to see where we are at every chance I get.

Nobby

KODIAK

This port was the only port I had no plans at all in. I could not decide and thought we would just go ashore and see what they had. Well, it was slim pickings here for walking off. Plus I still was not better yet so decided to walk around. If you are lucky to be on this cruise this year make sure you get up early to watch as you are coming into Kodiak or since it is so early then make sure you watch as you are leaving. It is really beautiful. On our cruise it was sunny and clear in the morning and cloudy and overcast the afternoon when we left so it did look better in the morning but it could be different for you.

The entire area is very scenic so I just walked around. Cindy walked with me for awhile and then she went into town. I stayed around the boat harbor and the docks around the ship but even there it was really scenic.

i-xV6SPjV-L.jpg

While walking around this young eagle flew right at me.

i-qWt5932-L.jpg

This is the larger boat harbor where most of the bigger fishing boats are. Both the Cornelia Marie and Kodiak were out to sea so we didn't get to see those either.

i-8N79f6R-L.jpg

Kodiak is very scenic...

i-4FxstmS-L.jpg

i-NpDtCDF-L.jpg

i-cPsPqWf-L.jpg

The only thing I did not like about Homer and Kodiak was we did not have longer port times.

Next up is Hubbard Glacier.

Nobby

Coming soon, Hubbard Glacier and the ICE...Lots of it as a huge ice flow closed in around the Amsterdam.

As far as you could see it was ice... This shot is taken looking straight down from the lower promenade...these are huge icebergs as far as we can see. the ship was crawling...

i-Q7VzSs3-L.jpg

Nobby

We were on the June 15th sailing. My husband is a photographer and I have heart issues that limit my exertion level. We did the Land and Sea Photo Safari in Juneau (one offered by the ship). I was wonderful! I didn't want to do the "hiking" at Mendenhall, so they gave me a card and I spent the time in the visitors center (very crowded, but very nice). I could easily see the glacier and got some nice photos of my own. There is a limit of 14 people for the group. The second half, we were in an enclosed boat with windows set up for the best photography (they swung out of the way and were secured above the window opening). There is a bit of a step going into the boat, but pretty minor. Much easier to get on than the 6-passenger boats we were on. I got the number of the operator from shore excursions and was able to get some of the nitty gritty before we booked. For the sea part, we saw eagles, harbor seals, humpbacks, and orcas. It was great!

Getting in to the smaller boats might still be difficult for you. They do give wonderful whale watching opportunities--but some of the larger boats seemed to do well with whale sightings too.

We did a float plane in Ketchikan. It is a bit awkward getting in and out of the plane, but well worth it. Although my husband doesn't do heights or small places well (he is 6'4"), he loved it! Island Wings actually stops at an island in Misty Fjords and you can get out and take pictures, etc. Most just stop on a lake and let you get out on the pontoons. Not too safe if you have mobility problems! Friends did the Taxicab Tour and loved it. There would be lots to see even from the vehicle.

We did a few of the smaller boats, and it worked out great. However, I'm not post hip replacement! We rented a wheelchair that was delivered to our cabin. We were on lower promenade. It did take up a good bit of room--kind of like the 500 lb gorilla in the room! The ship's wheel chair assistance on embarkation was great. It was not so good getting off.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Carol

Thanks Carol. Great information. Will proceed with trying to arrange shore excursions. May leave w/c at home due to the space in cabin situation you described.

Archived