Carnival Secrets they usually don't tell you about #2

Room7

In honor of the original thread Link I though it would be nice to restart it since the original is over 200 pages long and some tips might be out of date.

Ill be leaving on the Splendor in a month

So anyone got tips, tricks or secrets?

Dessi is the Maitre D' on the splendor and I think she is the best MD Carnival has, so any problems, ask for her. She is wonderful and has a spirit that can always bring a smile to our faces. Enjoy.

Yes, Take advantage of the Future Cruise Certificates. An easy way to double you money! And now it is even better, good for 5 years not just 2 and still 100% refundable if you don’t’ use it. We bought our $100 one last summer, got $200 off the booked price and $200 on board credit since our next cruise is 12 days. The amount you get back depends on the length of the cruise. You just break even on a 3 day with $50 off cruise and $50 of credit but with longer days of cruising can be the max like we just got.

When you go to bed set the TV to the forward camera view. It will be pretty dark because it is night but has enough light to see by if you wake up and have to make a trip to the bathroom. No need to pack a night light!

Set out your breakfast card each night for at least coffee or juice and fruit a little before the time you want to get up then you will have a nice wake up knock every morning, no alarm clock to pack or time changes to worry about!

With ships with an in room frig, Empty contents into one of your empty carry ons and tell the steward you do not need any frig refills. Then you will have plenty of room to put in what you want. Still ask for daily ice, since frig is not that cold.

Another frig trick; pick up deli meats, cheeses, fruit and crackers during the day and take the plates to your room, Then you will have a great snack tray to enjoy with your wine or mixed drink on your balcony or in your room that night. replace everything the last night so you are not charged for anything on your S&S

I hate the reconstituted ice tea so I pack loose crystal lite or similar tea or drink packs. I can put a few in my evening clutch and just get ice water in the MDR with dinner and make my own tea. But be careful to catch your waiter from refilling your glass with their awful tea or you will have to start over, LOL.

One tip I found really useful is to bring one of those over-the-door shoe holders. I have a plastic one that folds flat and is lightweight. It's great to organize your bathroom stuff, sunblock, sunglasses, cameras, etc. We're usually 3 in a room and with those itty bitty bathrooms and minimal counter space, it works out great.

• 4 months later...

Can someone help me? I thought I'd bookmarked a post that referred to how many days of free laundry Platinum members get on cruises over 7 days, but I can't find it. I think it contained a link to an FAQ that addressed this. I've also tried various searches of the Carnival website and can only find references to the number of free bags of laundry that are available for Platinum cruisers on cruises of 7 days or less, but nothing for longer than that. HELP !!!

Thank you for restarting a new thread. The old was was too long and out dated.

The thread evolved from "Carnival Secrets" to alos include tips and ideas from seasoned cruisers. I found those actually more helpful than the "Carnival Secrets"

Heres one i started doing on my last cruise. With Digital cameras, we all end up taking hundreds of pictures. My problem was that after the cruise when I got home, I would go through my pics and have a hard time remembering where a pic was taken, when, and what it was!

So now each morning, before I leave the cabin, I take a picture of the front page of the Fun Times. It has the date and port of call on it. I now know that every pic taken after that one is in sucn and such port and taken on such and such date. Makes organizing our photo albums much easier.

At every port I've been to when I get off of the ship there is a "Welcome to _____________" sign, so I always take a pciture of that and it helps me keep my photos organized.

This is really more of a planning tip than anything, but I make bookmarks on my computer for all the ports I'm visiting. For anyone else with a Mac, I'll go to the Bookmarks Bar (the gray area at the top where it says Apple, Yahoo, etc.), and I'll make one called "Cruise". Then I'll make subcategories of all the ports, (Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios) and add in bookmarks I find into each place, respectively.

l go on the tourism websites, and google other info about each place. Whenever I find a place that's interesting I bookmark it under that port. Shops, restaurants, tour operators, other interesting places to see, etc. It's really helped me keep things organized, and also helps if I stumble upon something interesting I won't forget about it all those months later when it's cruise time.

So the showers are actually shared between the gym and the spa? If they gym is free, then I wouldn't feel so bad about using the showers since they are part of the gym as well!

Don't feel bad. Using the gym showers is common. LOTS and LOTS of people do it. They are larger and it frees up the one in the cabin.

:D

You must book the cruise within two years of purchasing the FCC, but you have three years to sail.

They have discontinued the FCC. :(

Regarding laundry and the bag it goes in: They are paper bags. Bring your shipping tape and reinforce the bag well. That is how you will get a LOT of t-shirts, underwear, shorts, etc in the bag. Posters are right. You will get back about 3 bags full if you do it right and if you were able to stuff it into that bag it's still only $15.

I have all but once had them taken away from me and that once was on Costa. Otherwise they take them and get your name and cabin number and deliver it last night but I am sure others have gotten it through.

Hi, are you saying they took away your "non-alcoholic beverages" like coke and pepsi?

Agree with the update about Future Cruise Certificates. The program has been discontinued. However, if you book another cruise while you are on the ship you will receive the free onboard credit and 2 certificates for friends to book the same as you (have to book within 30 days I think). Downside of this is you have to book then and pay the deposit (half I think).

The cappicino in the MDR is no longer free. If you order it you will be charged. Some good news is that Carnival has changed the brand of coffee (I forget the name) and reviews has been positive.

One thing I will always bring with me is my Brita filter water bottle They offer a large bottle of water in the staterooms for a nominal fee, but that can add up quickly, especially if you drink a lot of water or you are sharing your cabin with many others. Its also a better alternative to bringing a bunch of bottled water since it frees up space in your luggage.

That's so strange. I can't imagine walking into a spa and just start using their shower.

The spa has lots of activities going on........ so no one would even notice

you using the showers there. We used the showers and the steam Shower when we sailed the Miracle in 2008 and nobody cared:D

thank you for restarting a new thread. The old was was too long and out dated.

The thread evolved from "carnival secrets" to alos include tips and ideas from seasoned cruisers. I found those actually more helpful than the "carnival secrets"

heres one i started doing on my last cruise. With digital cameras, we all end up taking hundreds of pictures. My problem was that after the cruise when i got home, i would go through my pics and have a hard time remembering where a pic was taken, when, and what it was!

So now each morning, before i leave the cabin, i take a picture of the front page of the fun times. It has the date and port of call on it. I now know that every pic taken after that one is in sucn and such port and taken on such and such date. Makes organizing our photo albums much easier.

great idea!

The spa has free saunas and steam rooms to use in addition to the large showers.

There is normally a little goody basket in your bathroom with different product samples. Don't rely on certain things as it can change a lot, but it's a nice little surprise when you get to your room.

So the showers are actually shared between the gym and the spa? If they gym is free, then I wouldn't feel so bad about using the showers since they are part of the gym as well!

It depends on the ship. The Magic has a gym level and a spa (Cloud 9) level. The showers and sauna in the gym area are included but the showers in the Cloud 9 Spa are not included unless you book a spa room or pay for the spa access. I believe all of the Dream Class ships are set up this way.

I had noro virus one - and once was enough! I take one of those plastic tubes of Lysol or Clorox wipes. You can use the around the room, but what I do is tuck a few into a zip lock bag to carry around with me. When I'm on the stairs, I pull one out and hold it in my hand as I hold onto the rail. I have a thing about stairs and need to use the hand rail. This way I'm sanitizing it for me and anyone behind me.

Before a cruise (I know, I'm going backward), I find the deck plans on the web. I save the plans for all the public decks, plus the deck where my cabin is. I paste the images into Word or a drawing/photo program - you can usually fit 3 or 4 decks on a sheet. I print them out for everyone in my party.

I have had so many people ask me where I got them, as they try to figure out where they are going with the tiny plans they give you.

Oh and I always go down to the Guest services desk on the last day before we return to home port and I ask for a full set of Fun Times - they make a great souvenir.

I bought an inexpensive binder and some of those clear plastic page sleeves. I printed all my necessary paperwork for my pre-cruise hotels, airline tickets, all my cruise docs, excursion info, etc. Everything for each day was in one of the sleeves. I also included a stack of lined paper and a few pens and I took notes every night (for my review but also so I'd be able to answer questions about the ship and remember little things for myself as well!).

We brought insulated cups and used them all the time. Filled em to the top with ice, just a bit of water, and a crystal light pack and were good to go for at least a few hours!

Also each had a shoe holder thing but we hardly used it.

I found my cabin window was a great place to store things. LOL

We take a can of scented lysol and spray all appropriate surfaces when first entering the room. Not germaphobic at all, just dont want to take any chances while on a cruise.

We do this as well! we also do this at hotels, etc wherever we go...good to know we're not the only ones :p