Would you use a travel agent if you couldn't get any perks?

I think I know what Coach is talking about. It is hard to imagine when you are so experienced with cruises, but imagine you want to go on a vacation, know nothing about cruises, but think you would like to give cruising a try. You don't have the time or the inclination to do a ton of research, but need someone you could trust to give you good advice and help you sort things out. Imagine how valuable it would be if someone could hear what you are wanting, narrow things down for you, give you some information about the plusses and minuses of particular ships, and what might be important to know about cruising. For example, "The Epic has these great features and the itinerary you want, but the walls are wavy, the rooms are a little small, and the bathroom has a strange set up, so you may want to consider whether you would be comfortable with that." or "Tipping is expected at the end of the cruise, in these expected amounts" or "You do have to pay for 3rd and 4th passengers and children are not free" and many other things that new cruisers may not know about. Or possibly after hearing about the needs of the person/family another type of vacation might be recommended, such as an all-inclusive.

Some people love travel planning and others loathe it - those in the second category probably welcome the assistance of a travel agent.

I will say that the imagine of someone walking into a travel agency looking for a pizza and walking out with a vacation is pretty hilarious :)

The couple of times I've tried to use a TA to discuss a cruise I didn't get very far or any warm fuzzies.

1. I usually have an idea of a date if not a specific date but otherwise I'm pretty open - I just know I need to book a cruise.

2. I know it will be a RCCL ship for now

3. I know what I'm willing to pay.

4. I know I've got to have a balcony.

5. I know it will be out of a Florida port.

Put this into the RCCL website and I know pretty much which cruise I will be taking. I would probably make a TA pretty crazy by the time the trip was booked and completed. :eek:

Me - Yep, we would like to take a 7 night in February, but if the rates are better, March will do but we will also consider January. I said 7 nights, but I heard Independence has a really nice 6 night itenerary........

The couple of times I've tried to use a TA to discuss a cruise I didn't get very far or any warm fuzzies.

1. I usually have an idea of a date if not a specific date but otherwise I'm pretty open - I just know I need to book a cruise.

2. I know it will be a RCCL ship for now

3. I know what I'm willing to pay.

4. I know I've got to have a balcony.

5. I know it will be out of a Florida port.

Put this into the RCCL website and I know pretty much which cruise I will be taking. I would probably make a TA pretty crazy by the time the trip was booked and completed. :eek:

Me - Yep, we would like to take a 7 night in February, but if the rates are better, March will do but we will also consider January. I said 7 nights, but I heard Independence has a really nice 6 night itenerary........

And don't discount an 8 nighter if the price is right...... :D

I used a TA for my first two Princess cruises. When I tried to book an RCI cruise with them is was as if I grew two heads:p. They wanted nothing to do with me. The 3 cruises I booked with her I never received a perk for booking with them or for bringing new cruisers to Princess.

I consider myself resourceful and wouldn't consider placing my business with a TA when I can handle it myself. My vacation $$$$$ means way more to me than it did to the TA.

I have been using a TA on and off since 2005 and never received any perks from them.

Although I now prefer to do my own booking since I have more control over my own booking. Especially when there is a price drop and my TA isn't available because it is either the weekend or he is on a group cruise.

After my current experience with a TA, I will never use one again. They never offer any perks and my Allure reservation was recently handed over to another TA. I had to call HER to process the final payment. It's a good thing I put it in my calendar or the reservation would've been cancelled and my deposit would've been lost.

My two future bookings have been done directly through RCCL and I've had no problems so far.

Without a doubt I would continue to use the same TA who we have been working with for about 5 years. We always work with the same TA and he knows our likes and dislikes, etc. He has worked very hard for us in the past which included when my husband's Dad passed away 6 hours before we were going to leave for our flight to the port, etc. He said "don't worry, I will take care of everything" and he did!!! Yes, we have enjoyed some nice perks in the past. They were a bonus on top of getting super fast response emails from out TA and feeling confident that if anything went wrong he would be there to help out. Would so much rather give our TA some commission than a cruise line...........

Coach - I still think your comments about potential travel agent clients being ignorant and clueless is insulting to the vast majority of people who choose to seek the help of a TA. I tend to think people are smarter than the average block of wood and can make most decisions for themselves. The internet, for the most part, eliminates the need for a TA - unless they offer perks that make it worth my while. There always will be some TAs out there - but they will be giants - the little guys are a dying breed.

While I do not need a T/A I do use one because of the perks. THat being said I do think that a good T/A can be of great assistance to a first time cruiser. As we all know cruise lines have "Different personalities". I think we would agree that the cruise experience on Crystal is going to be different then the cruise experience on Carnival. A really good T/A is not just a order taker. They get to know their clients personalities and can steer them to a cruise line that is a "good fit" for them. THey want to make sure that their clients are happy with the cruise experience they direct them to in order to gain their confidence and get that all important repeat and referral business.

Coach - I still think your comments about potential travel agent clients being ignorant and clueless is insulting to the vast majority of people who choose to seek the help of a TA.
It is not insulting at all. I am completely ignorant when it comes to surgery. I am completely ignorant when it comes to staging my home to get the most bang for the buck when trying to sell. There are things in this world where I am not an expert. Most people who come to use a travel agent are NOT in fact experts. They do not know what they want. They have seen an advertisement for a cruise line that is totally the wrong option for them.

The internet, for the most part, eliminates the need for a TA - unless they offer perks that make it worth my while. There always will be some TAs out there - but they will be giants - the little guys are a dying breed.

You can think that and for YOU that is great that it works. However the vast majority of cruise passengers do not think as you. The internet has no relationship with a supplier other than being an order taker. The internet cannot assist you when something goes wrong. Your statement that the little guys are a dying breed is in fact an ignorant one about the facts.

Nope....I"d keep it with Royal. I use a TA simply for the ~10% rebates I get in the form of OBC, dining, spa, and prepaid grats. I know what I want and don't need a TA. Just like I am driving around Ireland right now for 2+ weeks and never consulted a TA. I do my own homework.

Oh, and who would advocate for me if something went wrong? Um, me! It's just about simply knowing your rights. I know my airline rights when something goes wrong, my rights on the cruise (very little there), etc. When something isn't going right I stand up and contact management and get it resolved.

While I do not need a T/A I do use one because of the perks. THat being said I do think that a good T/A can be of great assistance to a first time cruiser. As we all know cruise lines have "Different personalities". I think we would agree that the cruise experience on Crystal is going to be different then the cruise experience on Carnival. A really good T/A is not just a order taker. They get to know their clients personalities and can steer them to a cruise line that is a "good fit" for them. THey want to make sure that their clients are happy with the cruise experience they direct them to in order to gain their confidence and get that all important repeat and referral business.

If a first time cruiser is going to take the time to educate themselves about choosing a "really good" TA that can actually help them in selecting a cruise then they can probably educate themselves on the various cruise lines and ships. When I started cruising I delt with TA's. I even found my way to TA's that specialize in cruising. It seemed like I always ended up having to educate them about something. Finally, I just made the break and started doing things on my own. No one is going to know the likes and dislikes of my family and myself better than I do. And for those folks who feel more comfortable using TA's, I hope thay always have that option.

Nope....I"d keep it with Royal. I use a TA simply for the ~10% rebates I get in the form of OBC, dining, spa, and prepaid grats. I know what I want and don't need a TA. Just like I am driving around Ireland right now for 2+ weeks and never consulted a TA. I do my own homework.

Oh, and who would advocate for me if something went wrong? Um, me! It's just about simply knowing your rights. I know my airline rights when something goes wrong, my rights on the cruise (very little there), etc. When something isn't going right I stand up and contact management and get it resolved.

I agree with you completely. Maybe it come from the strong sense of self relience that my father instilled in me. Sometimes I think I drive him nuts when he wants to help me out with things that I want to try accomplishing on my own. When he gets too frustrated with me I just remind him that he made me this way.:eek:

If a first time cruiser is going to take the time to educate themselves about choosing a "really good" TA that can actually help them in selecting a cruise then they can probably educate themselves on the various cruise lines and ships. When I started cruising I delt with TA's. I even found my way to TA's that specialize in cruising. It seemed like I always ended up having to educate them about something. Finally, I just made the break and started doing things on my own. No one is going to know the likes and dislikes of my family and myself better than I do. And for those folks who feel more comfortable using TA's, I hope thay always have that option.

I didn't say that a first time cruiser would know how to find a good T/A from a bad one. I assume that if they didn't research a cruise then they didn't research a T/A either. Maybe that got a name through a referral or maybe they were just lucky and stumbled across a good one. My point is that if they do have a good T/A I think a point can be made that the T/A can provide valuable assistance to a first time cruiser.

Coach T - you're wrong again. :) The little TAs are a dying breed. I live in Denver and so many have gone out of business, it's not funny. The little "mom and pop" ones - dead or swallowed up by much larger agencies. I'm not "ignorant" as you continue to label just about everyone but yourself. This is a bad move by Carnival - it doesn't benefit ANYONE - but Carnival. TAs who think this benefits them - well - only time, and their pocketbooks, will tell.

For me it's not the perks, I have just had really bad experiences regarding price drops and TA availability. Unfortunately if the price drops and you are booked with a TA they have to contact the cruiseline to get the discount.

I never use a TA , and I never book because of any perks.

I book the cruise I want along with the stateroom I want, far in advance.

Me too!! And sometimes I get perks from the cruise line rep.

Just booked a 12 day Baltic cruise with Carnival before 8/1 and received $425obc from my TA. I would book it myself if the perks disappear. Enforcement of the new policy by will be difficult for Carnival.

What happened to the principal of free enterprise? Why would a cruise line allow a travel agency dictate their policies? The customer getting a better deal should not make a difference to the cruise line. They would get their percentage anyway. I believe the TA's should be allowed to fight it out for themselves. The grocery supplier is not allowed to dictate what price the grocery store can charge me for my vegetables and if the store gives me points and a better price to try and get my business that is just smart marketing and free enterprise working. CCL should have stayed out of it in my opinion.

Coach T - you're wrong again. :) The little TAs are a dying breed. I live in Denver and so many have gone out of business, it's not funny. The little "mom and pop" ones - dead or swallowed up by much larger agencies.
Sorry but again you are misinformed.

While many agencies have joined consortiums to increase their marketing power, many brick and mortar agencies have moved to home offices. They meet their clients in their own homes by appointment. They travel often and because of technology can conduct business from anywhere in the world. The cruise lines do in fact rely on the travel agent community as their biggest sales force. We are as we book over 3/4 of the staterooms on their ships. They know our value.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Travel-Agent-Issues/Cruise-execs-tout-agents-value-during-Travel-Weekly-panel/?a=issues

You are a well educated cruiser as are many cruise critic posters, but the majority that cruise are not.

Archived