Middle Aged Drama Queen's Eastern Med Review: Serenade, Pics, Surprises & Fun!

Yes - it was in post #829...I'll copy and paste for you here:

We last left our frazzled and frantic travelers getting unceremoniously kicked off the ship several hours too soon, and heading to their Barcelona apartment…stuffed in a tiny cab with suitcases and carry-ons up to their eyeballs….

We were lucky. When we arrived at the apartment, four hours early, we received the good news that our apartment was ready to check-in. We needed some good news…because as we were riding in the cab, I had a bit of time to pull out our Seapass account. And that’s when I saw the arcade charges…

$220.00.

Yes. Mickey had racked up over $220 in arcade charges. ACK! I didn’t even spend that on alcohol!!! Heck, I didn’t even spend that at the SPA! She’s lucky I didn’t murder her right there in the cab. I probably would have, except my arms were squished down and I couldn’t reach her. She was “saved by squishing.” If we had been at home, she would have been grounded for a year…but I couldn’t exactly ground her and leave her by herself in an apartment in Barcelona…darn it. So, she got to go with us and enjoy the day – although I told her right then and there she’d be my slave for a year. A YEAR, mind you. She's been working off her arcade tab slowly now...and needless to say, she was grounded from the arcade on the Freedom of the Seas - in case you're wondering. She's grounded from arcades for LIFE now.

:p:p

Thank you! While a Med cruise won't happen for us for a LONG time (if at all), thanks for taking the time to write all this up. VERY enjoyable!

Excellent review. I, too, was surprised at your conclusions regarding Serenade but I appreciate your honesty. You were so positive throughout your review that I take your comments about the ship seriously, and I hope that someone at RC sees them: it would improve things for future cruisers.

Thank you for posting your excursion details: I copied and pasted for future use!

I tried to convey that we still had an amazing time - regardless of the ship's faults....Hubby Mike just says that there are other ships that can take us to these amazing ports, and perhaps we should explore other ships. We weren't about to let the little things on the actual ship ruin things for us, for sure! :)

We are heading out in about 3 weeks on Celebrity Equinox to some of these same ports and your review has been not only entertaining, but also very informative. Thanks for spending so much time sharing this report.

Just a quick question about Athens: I know you booked a tour, and with 5 people, I might do the same. We are planning to DIY Athens and use the Metro. Did you hear any positive or negative feedback from your fellow passengers on this option?

Thanks,

Paul

I tried to convey that we still had an amazing time - regardless of the ship's faults....Hubby Mike just says that there are other ships that can take us to these amazing ports, and perhaps we should explore other ships. We weren't about to let the little things on the actual ship ruin things for us, for sure! :)

Steve and I are looking forward to your Freedom review Sherri. Considering this was our first RCI cruise we weren't exactly blown away by the RCI experience on the Serenade. Like you, we feel we need to do adequate research on the line (hence the booking on Allure :D )

Btw those cupcakes you and Mickey decorated on Freedom were awesome!

We are heading out in about 3 weeks on Celebrity Equinox to some of these same ports and your review has been not only entertaining, but also very informative. Thanks for spending so much time sharing this report.

Just a quick question about Athens: I know you booked a tour, and with 5 people, I might do the same. We are planning to DIY Athens and use the Metro. Did you hear any positive or negative feedback from your fellow passengers on this option?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi, Paul - I'm glad my review was helpful!

With regards to Athens, I didn't talk to any passengers who used the Metro, so unfortunately, I don't have any feedback on that. Everyone we knew used a private tour....I think Athens is certainly a port that you can DIY, based on our experiences. The Acropolis, the Museum, the Plaka - all pretty close to each other.

Bon voyage! :)

Steve and I are looking forward to your Freedom review Sherri. Considering this was our first RCI cruise we weren't exactly blown away by the RCI experience on the Serenade. Like you, we feel we need to do adequate research on the line (hence the booking on Allure :D )

Btw those cupcakes you and Mickey decorated on Freedom were awesome!

That's a good way of putting it; it's not like we had bad experiences; we just weren't "blown away"...and considering the money spent, I guess Hubby Mike wanted to be blown away. I think the Cruise Director, Activities Director, chef, etc can make all the difference...and because those things change, we could sail on the Serenade in a year or two and walk away with a completely different opinion.

Aren't those cupcakes amazing?! It was three cupcakes (2 vanilla and 1 chocolate), some red & white icing in a tube, and the yellow fondant (for the cheese) and green fondant (for the lettuce). Oh - and some white sprinkles that we used for "sesame seeds" on the "bun" and "salt" on the "french fries." So easy! It was a great class; if they offer it on the Allure, I recommend it! (We did the Adult class; they decorate a puppy, I think, in the kids' class.)

Thanks,

Paul

Let me briefly hijack the thread. We did Athens on our own last year, and it was pretty darn easy. The trickiest thing was finding the bus stop near the port which then took us to the metro. From there, just ride metro to stop nearest to Acropolis and go from there. Acropolis, Plaka & Agora are all together, and you can see the Acropolis from just about anywhere so you don't get lost.

Back to Sheri as we patiently await the Daily Compasses!

Let me briefly hijack the thread. We did Athens on our own last year, and it was pretty darn easy. The trickiest thing was finding the bus stop near the port which then took us to the metro. From there, just ride metro to stop nearest to Acropolis and go from there. Acropolis, Plaka & Agora are all together, and you can see the Acropolis from just about anywhere so you don't get lost.

Same here. Google 'tom ogg athens directions' or try this link http://www.cruisereviews.com/rci/Millennium53.htm scroll down to 'day 5 Athens'.

We weren't sure about one intersection on the way to the metro so we asked a young woman on her way to work and she led us there herself.

It was so cheap and easy: the hardest part was the heat. (there are little stands everywhere that sell cheap bottles of cold water) If you don't mind walking I'd do it. One of our favorite parts was our walk to the Plaka. A little old Greek woman startled me when she jumped out of an alleyway holding a tablecloth for me to buy, which I declined. We walked a little further and it seemed like the same Greek woman jumped out at me again, holding another tablecloth. It was fun.

Edited by marci22

!

We took a cab from the port to the Acropolis. There were 4 of us but as this was in '09, I don't remember the cost. I do remember that we felt it was reasonable. This way, we were among the first people into this area, and saw the entire site without great swarms of others. From here we walked down to the Temple of Haphaestus and the Agora. We were blown away by these sites, as, like Sherri, we were almost alone here. After about 1 1/2 hours, we walked to the Plaka where we had a great lunch. Right after lunch, we walked about 20 minutes to the Parliament buildings to watch the changing of the guard. After a couple of stops in grocery stores and wine shops, we continued back to the Plaka. We bought tickets on the train back to the port as it was now close to 4 PM. The ticker seller warned us to be vigilant about our belongings on the train. We experienced no problems and when we got off the train ( about a half hour trip), we hailed a cab which took us the rest of the way to the port because I was exhausted from all the walking. The train cost about 5 euros for the two of us and I think the cab was around 3 euros. Athens was certainly easy to do on your own as long as you are aware of what is happening in your vicinity. Cost wise, we didn't spend a lot of money and we felt that we were able to see the most important highlights of a great, historic city. Did we see it all? Not a chance, but Athens has been there for thousands of years and we will try to get back another time.

Nikki

steppy08...they definitely do offer the cupcake class on Allure. I did the class last year (adult class) and we made a cat...so I think it's all up to the person leading the class as to what you're going to make, but it was a lot of fun (not that I'd be able to do it again without the instruction) :D

steppy08...they definitely do offer the cupcake class on Allure. I did the class last year (adult class) and we made a cat...so I think it's all up to the person leading the class as to what you're going to make, but it was a lot of fun (not that I'd be able to do it again without the instruction) :D

Nice! Thanks. This would be fun for my mom and I, we'll have to do it! (DH Steve would just eat all the icing....)

Haha...that's too funny. I took my grandma with me to the class since she loves to bake and we have the funniest photo of our two cupcakes sitting next to each other. She didn't even want to take it with her and some woman's son asked if he could eat her frosting since she didn't want it. You'll really like Allure...TONS of things to do. Comparing it to my other Carnival, Disney and Royal cruises it is one of my favorite ships! Have a great time

Thank you for a brilliant review! I'm glad that someone posted a link to this over on the NCL board!

We're only on a ho-hum 7 day Med cruise this October, but you've really got me revved up for it now!

We too booked the 1/2 day tour w/ Barcelona Day Tours, so I was happy to read you were pleased with them...especially in your exhausted state! (I'll think of you when I too stare enviously at my hubby sleeping on the red eye!)

Your description of Pompeii made me sooooo glad that we're going there (after hiking Mt Vesuvius for a little yin-yang moment!). I'm definitely getting that DVD.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the exorbitant time to post! :D

PS...I'm not a sweets fan, but you've got me wanting to try gelato!

Edited by Cubechick

Back to Sheri as we patiently await the Daily Compasses!

Just my two cents... My Mom and I had planned to do Athens on our own, via Metro, but when we arrived at the port we discovered that the Metro was closed for maintenance. At that point, we had no choice but to take a cab. We passed by the drivers waiting to pounce just outside the door (we asked, and one charged 150E total for a 4 hour tour). We went to one of the cabs a bit further away and asked the driver how much it would cost to take us to the Acropolis. He said 20E, so we got in the car and went. Well, long story short, we ended up using that driver for a four hour tour of Athens and it was FABULOUS. He charged us 100E for the two of us and we ended up being with him for about 4.5 hours. We got to the Acropolis just before it opened so we were almost first to the top. We left just as the ships tours were arriving. We saw the Temple of Zeus, changing of the guard at the Parliament building, the Olympic stadium, the Plaka, the Agora, a super high view point where we could see the Acropolis and I think most of Athens, and a couple other sites I can't remember. He also made a special stop so I could get a pin from the Hard Rock Cafe (too bad they were sold out :( ) We were back at the ship, completely exhausted, by lunch time and relaxed the rest of the day.

I'm looking forward to reading the Freedom review. I haven't sailed that class of ship yet but would really like to, and soon :D

It makes me sad - the comments about the Serenade :( She is my favorite ship of all that I've sailed on. I sure hope that when I make it back on board, things have improved.

Beautiful family, what amazing memories for all of you. Enjoy your kids they grow up and out too fast.

We are doing a 12 day next April on NCL. We are taking our two boys???(men) 23 & 26 and the girlfriends. We will also have two cabins. We have go in April, youngest in in the Air Force, stationed in Germany and will be moving in May. We fly into Barcelona and have three night to explore!!

I want to do all private tours since we will be 6 and it will add up. I think after all the reviews I have read we will do Romeinlimo for all the Italy tours. How did you handle all the payments. The web site says cash. Did you really go to Europe with cash for all the tours? Did some allow credit cards? Were you able to pay with a credit card in all the stores and restaurants? How did you tip? Did you tip the driver and the guide? If you don't mind sharing can you let me know how much the tips were?

We had the same problem with our credit card in December. The last two days the ATM's stopped taking it. Had no problem in Germany, Austria, France & Luxembourg but New Years in Prague and declined!!!! Luckily we took two with us.

Thanks again for all your help and this was the best trip report I have ever read!!!!

Enjoy your beautiful family!!!

It makes me sad - the comments about the Serenade :( She is my favorite ship of all that I've sailed on. I sure hope that when I make it back on board, things have improved.

We actually loved the Serenade... the design and layout of the ship are fantastic. Riding the elevators and watching the sea go by was really cool. As Sherri said, most of our issues were with personnel related- chefs, dining room service, etc...

I have enjoyed your review so much. I especially appreciate your candor for the good, bad and ugly of the ship you sailed. You made me feel like I was

part of your family as I sailed through familiar and those not so familiar ports again. Best review EVER and I thank you!!

What was the name of the apartment where you stayed in Barcelona? Did yoou book directly with them? Thank you.

We used DailyFlats, and our apartment was called Modern Ramblas III. This was a four-bedroom apartment with three bathrooms, a kitchen, living room, dining room, and salon. They required a deposit up front...and we paid via credit card our balance when we arrived.

It was close to Las Ramblas...right behind the La Boqueria market. Good location; quiet; with a little cafe on the corner where we could get breakfast.

Thank you for a brilliant review! I'm glad that someone posted a link to this over on the NCL board!

We're only on a ho-hum 7 day Med cruise this October, but you've really got me revved up for it now!

We too booked the 1/2 day tour w/ Barcelona Day Tours, so I was happy to read you were pleased with them...especially in your exhausted state! (I'll think of you when I too stare enviously at my hubby sleeping on the red eye!)

Your description of Pompeii made me sooooo glad that we're going there (after hiking Mt Vesuvius for a little yin-yang moment!). I'm definitely getting that DVD.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the exorbitant time to post! :D

PS...I'm not a sweets fan, but you've got me wanting to try gelato!

I'm glad this helped! I didn't realize it had been shared on the NCL board - but hey - we're all in this together, and my goal is to help others when they cruise!

And yes - DO try the gelato. Indulge in the Quest for a Perfect 10!

Beautiful family, what amazing memories for all of you. Enjoy your kids they grow up and out too fast.

We are doing a 12 day next April on NCL. We are taking our two boys???(men) 23 & 26 and the girlfriends. We will also have two cabins. We have go in April, youngest in in the Air Force, stationed in Germany and will be moving in May. We fly into Barcelona and have three night to explore!!

I want to do all private tours since we will be 6 and it will add up. I think after all the reviews I have read we will do Romeinlimo for all the Italy tours. How did you handle all the payments. The web site says cash. Did you really go to Europe with cash for all the tours? Did some allow credit cards? Were you able to pay with a credit card in all the stores and restaurants? How did you tip? Did you tip the driver and the guide? If you don't mind sharing can you let me know how much the tips were?

We had the same problem with our credit card in December. The last two days the ATM's stopped taking it. Had no problem in Germany, Austria, France & Luxembourg but New Years in Prague and declined!!!! Luckily we took two with us.

Thanks again for all your help and this was the best trip report I have ever read!!!!

Enjoy your beautiful family!!!

For RomeInLimo, around December, I received an email that offered me the ability to pay ahead of time with a credit card. I jumped on it, so we wouldn't have to take so much cash with us. You might email Jany (or Duman) and see if you can do the same thing. They don't always offer this, and I don't know why I got the opportunity (perhaps because I was a repeat customer, using them in 2009? I don't know).

All stores and restaurants took a credit card, but we did use cash for smaller purchases (like gelato, for instance). There are ATM machines everywhere; just make sure your bank knows you're traveling...and then make sure they know AGAIN. Ours seemed to "forget" halfway through our trip and shut us down. I SHOULD have called them, but I didn't. My fault.

We usually tipped $10E a person for our all-day tours, handing the tip to the guide (and if no guide, then the driver). Half-day tours, we did $5E per person. Tipping is subjective; PLEASE don't assume that this is the norm...you can tip more or less, depending on your comfort zone.

We took several credit cards with us. Hubby carried the Visa; I carried the Mastercard. That way, if one of us was pick pocketed, we had a back-up card. We left a 3rd card in the safe on the ship to use if needed.

Have a GREAT trip!!!! :)

FYI:

I seem to be having major scanner issues today, and I can't get the Cruise Compasses scanned...rather than hold up the Freedom review, I've decided to carry on with the FOS review...and I will attempt to fix the scanner issue soon. In the meantime, let me know if you have any specific questions regarding the Compasses, and I'll try to answer. I have them RIGHT here beside me! :D