Aft View in Glacier Bay Questions?

GrandCanyon2005

Is Aft view in Glacier Bay a good view? I realize that they turn the ship around so that both Port/Starboard get equal viewing times, so does that mean that Aft will have minimal viewing time? "All day" is a long time to be looking out the back of the ship while everyone is up on top looking at the sides.

Is Aft view in Glacier Bay a good view? I realize that they turn the ship around so that both Port/Starboard get equal viewing times, so does that mean that Aft will have minimal viewing time? "All day" is a long time to be looking out the back of the ship while everyone is up on top looking at the sides.

What ship?

From an aft cabin/deck?

We like to move around the ship at some point.

Although we spend about 80% of the time on our balcony.

The Capt will turn the ship around and allow evryone a good view of the Glaciers, but I would still head up on deck and walk all around the Promanade deck. ;)

I've only had an inside on Alaska cruises, so can't really compare....but...

Unless you really need to sit or it's pouring down rain, I would suggest you dress warmly and go above to an upper deck. There's something wonderful about being able to see the entire sweep of the area, and I can't imagine you'd get the same field of vision from a balcony. I really liked standing forward and watching the glaciers loom larger as we approached. And I'd hate to hear a glacier calving, but realize it was too far around the corner for me to see it. It's an IMAX experience; why watch it on an iPad?

I also actually enjoy sharing that kind of experience with my fellow passengers, but that's me.

I've never had an aft balcony, but I've been to Glacier Bay. As you approach the glaciers, you won't be able to see them if you are looking towards the back of the ship. Once you get to the glacier, they tend to sit with one side facing the glacier, then turn it around and sit with the other side facing the glacier. If you are in back, you'd only really get a view while the ship was turning. I'd plan on spending most of your time up on deck for the best views.

To me the advantage of an aft balcony is more when you are just sailing as you can sit out with no wind, this is much more comfortable. As far as views at the Glaciers you really want to be up on deck and moving around to really experience it. Personally I'd be on public decks forward as you approach, then move back to my cabin for the sailaway.

Glacier Bay is an all day experience and the views from an aft balcony are still spectacular.

Sapphire, Carib Deck.
The aft balcony cabins, C748 and C753 should have a view to the side and you should be able to see the glacier. When your side of the ship is facing that way. We had a cabin near the aft elevators are spent most of our viewing on our balcony. We were on the Coral and when departing Glacier Bay we went to the aft balcony and had great views in whales (best viewed with binoculars) to the aft. You should probably plan to go on deck for some time when at the glaciers but after that enjoy your views from your aft balcony!

Do you mean that you spend the entire cruise in your cabin and you won't bother getting out to watch the view?
No, I mean that the view of the Glaciers from your balcony can be quite good as was ours. As I said though, you should get out at least for part of the time. They should have the deck forward over the Bridge on the Sapphire open and that is a great place for viewing.

No, I mean that the view of the Glaciers from your balcony can be quite good as was ours. As I said though, you should get out at least for part of the time. They should have the deck forward over the Bridge on the Sapphire open and that is a great place for viewing.

How do you get to that area.....the forward deck over the bridge?

Go outside on Deck 15 to the front of the ship.

2617752780016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the picture......we are in C748 in a couple of weeks on Sapphire.....it makes sense to go out here while going into glacier bay or hubbard and then go back to our aft balcony once we are in there and coming out....

How do you get to that area.....the forward deck over the bridge?
I believe that the access is on Sun Deck forward of the Fitness Center/Aerobics. The photo is of people viewing the Amalia Glacier in South America from the same deck over the Bridge on the Star Princess. Yes, sometimes I take photos of people taking photos :eek:

DSC02105.JPGClick to name

We had an aft stateroom in Glacier Bay. I worried we wouldn't have a good view, so I went to the side of the public decks to watch and when I realized that each side of the ship was having its own chance for viewing, I went back to our balcony. We had a wonderful view, though I don't remember if the captain had the aft facing the glacier for a shorter period of time than the sides. Either way, I was satisfied with my viewing opps.

HEARING the ice is really amazing as well. :) Once you've seen and looked more and found more to see, (like wildlife riding on the ice floes) be sure to seek out a lower deck.............the closer to the water the better, and LISTEN to the ice. I don't mean the calving sound; I mean the floes making noise as they travel, break up, etc.

The huge hunks that are floating away from the glacier(s) will be snapping and popping as they warm (expand) and begin to break apart......sort of like you're in the midst of a huge bowl of Rice Krispies if you're old enough to remember that slogan!;)

"Everyone" goes up-top to SEE but very few realize the fun of hearing those ice floes.

THANKS for those gorgeous photos, csaeroach; they are SO beautiful!

Archived