How "formal" is "formal" on RCI?

DH & I will be taking a Royal Caribbean cruise next spring from Singapore-Dubai-Rome.

We've taken quite a few cruises on HAL & Princess so know how to dress on formal nights. BTW, I love long gowns & DH looks great in a tux. However I have no idea if formal wear is worn on RCI or if "formal informal" is more to be seen. If so, packing will be much easier..

Also would appreciate info about formal nights on RCI.

Thanks

As mentioned, you'll see anything from tuxedo to khakis. It's all about what you want and what you feel comfortable in...it's your vacation, after all.

And it's not that people "just don't get it". But this thread will probably already start an argument on formal nights, so I won't add to it...yet. ;)

There are formal nights on RCI and the number depend on the length of the sailing.

I would say a high proportion of the passengers dress for formal eveing dinner. They may change into something more casual later depending on the activities taking place after dinner.

For us, we rent our tuxes, so convenient and reduces the baggage which is important in this day of baggage charges/limits. Also saves having to send out the tux for pressing once onboard and unpacked.

Given the itinerary, and the possibility of a very diverse passenger make-up (which all sounds wonderful), I would say that you will see more cocktail dresses for women and dark suits for men than long gowns and tuxes. But, most people will be respectful of the suggested dress code.

Have a great cruise!

We always dress up for formal night. We have some pictures taken and make a nice evening of it. To me what others do is up to them, but we prefer getting dressed up and enjoying the night. I personally think it rude to dress in shorts, flip flops, etc and dine in the dining room. If that's how you want to dress, have dinner at the Windjammer. Have a great cruise!

Basically you can just about wear whatever you want to wear and get away with it.

We've seen women in what amounted to pajama bottoms in the MDR on "formal" night. We've seen pax with flip flops...t-shirts with all sorts of interesting sayings and pictures...filthy baseball caps..you name it.

Most pax dress for formal night..but many don't bother and are allowed into the MDR.

So it could be a mixed bag.

As some folks have posted, you "can" wear most anything you please on an RCCL ship, the staff is very discreet in not embarassing passengers who do not understand how to dress.

With that said, I think you will not be out of place with formal gowns and tuxes. Some on here will hopefully post about their experiences on the longer cruises - which I believe sometimes are more formal than shorter Caribbean jaunts.

Basically you can just about wear whatever you want to wear and get away with it.

We've seen women in what amounted to pajama bottoms in the MDR on "formal" night. We've seen pax with flip flops...t-shirts with all sorts of interesting sayings and pictures...filthy baseball caps..you name it.

Most pax dress for formal night..but many don't bother and are allowed into the MDR.

So it could be a mixed bag.

:cool:When it comes to this topic, I believe I could write your response ahead of time. You are consistant:cool:JACK I$ $AILING AGAIN

i believe if you check Websters Dic for the definition of FORMAL it will not mention khakis, jeans or shorts. :confused:

It is amazing how many people do not know what formal is...or just don't care! A cocktail dress is Semiformal NOT formal. But hey what do I know I am just a everyday jane. Thankfully OP did not ask do I have to dress formal for formal night.I always laugh when I see those posts ,it's like getting invited to a wedding and saying do I have to dress up for it??

Ok rant over :eek:

OP on the 3 cruises I have been on with Royal Caribbean we have alwasy seen at least 60% formal. That was 2 that were 7 nights and 1 that was a 5 night . Personally I love the look of everyone all dressed to the nines. And a gown doesn't really take up that much more room than a dress and as far as weight in the luggage don't do a sequin gown and it won't way a ton:D What ever you do HAVE FUN!!!!

As mentioned, you'll see anything from tuxedo to khakis. It's all about what you want and what you feel comfortable in...it's your vacation, after all.

And it's not that people "just don't get it". But this thread will probably already start an argument on formal nights, so I won't add to it...yet. ;)

People do get it. They just don't want to pack all those dress clothes. DH wears a suit and I a nice dress (black is a good choice). I will abide by the rules. Would I like to go casual? Sure, but don't. Frankly the only thing I hate about a cruise is the packing. But since I want to eat in the MDR, I pack the dress clothes. Sorry though, no Tux or long gowns for us.

People do get it. They just don't want to pack all those dress clothes. DH wears a suit and I a nice dress (black is a good choice). I will abide by the rules. Would I like to go casual? Sure, but don't. Frankly the only thing I hate about a cruise is the packing. But since I want to eat in the MDR, I pack the dress clothes. Not packing a tux or long gowns. What I think is terrible is that on formal night (on another cruiseline) I saw one walk in with jeans and was not turned away. Cruiselines should also stick by their rules. I even saw flip flops. :eek:

How Formal is Formal Night? As formal as you want it to be.:)

You beat me to it Patti, that's exactly what I was going to post. The three cruises we have shared were quite formal, at least in our little group.

RCL gives a dress code somewhere of what is acceptable dress when they designate a night as "formal". It isn't the same as Emily Post, but that doesn't matter--the people misusing the word "formal" would be RCL, not the people who wear suits, or cocktail dresses, or sports jackets. I've yet to see my first tiara on board...

Back in the day when checked baggage was free, we dressed to the nines. I have my own tux, and we tried renting one for my partner--once. The pants had a broken clasp, so he spent the evening trying to hold them up. These days, we wear ties and sports coats or a suit--permissible under the dress codes for formal evenings on the lines where we have sailed. We usually don't pack them--we wear them on the plane, then change into something more appropriate for sail-away that I pack in our carry-ons.

I have seen jeans a few times, but they've never been quite as ubiquitous on my cruises as some of the posters on this thread would have you believe. I've never seen shorts and flip-flops in the MDR (in fact, I've seen people turned away for wearing shorts on casual nights).

It is true that there will be less and less formal wear by anyone's definition as the night progresses.

It's also true that if you aren't dressed in a manner appropriate for Royal Ascot there will be people who think you should stay in your stateroom with a towel around the door so no light can possibly seep through to inflict your shabbiness on their perfectly formal evening. Ignore them--your best frock wouldn't meet their standards anyway. They'll be the ones who are getting older and more bitter every year and they don't understand why their children won't visit them.

Thanks for all your info.

I'm the OP and asked the question because my TA said :"You know Royal Caribbean is ever so much more casual than HAL". So that got me to wondering if my definition of "Formal" was passé or had changed and whether I should give up my long gowns and settle for lovely cocktai lones so as not to clash with the majority of other passengers on Royal Caribbean.

I know this is our cruise and we should do what we want; however, were we to be among the very few in traditional formal attire we might embarass others at our table who were not similarly attired. We enjoy ourselves more when we fit in.

And, of course I was not even referring to jeans, cut-offs, tee shorts and flip flops. I truly believe thiis is not appropriate wear for the MDR, much less for formal.

Didn't want to start or maintain a brush fire with this question. Simply wanted to know the customs and habits on Royal Caribbean in comparison to other lines. It's somewhat like visiting different countries: different habits. Some tip, some don't; some drive on the right side,some drive on the left; some eat with forks, some with chopsticks, some with their hands; some take off their shoes when entering a house, some don't; some pat children on the head, some are offended by this practice,etc.

Don't want to be judgemental, just informed.

It's also true that if you aren't dressed in a manner appropriate for Royal Ascot there will be people who think you should stay in your stateroom with a towel around the door so no light can possibly seep through to inflict your shabbiness on their perfectly formal evening. Ignore them--your best frock wouldn't meet their standards anyway. They'll be the ones who are getting older and more bitter every year and they don't understand why their children won't visit them.

Bravo! Nicely put ORB. Don't let the sound of the goose-stepping Formal Police scare you. Dress reasonably and you will be fine.

I'm the OP...

Didn't want to start or maintain a brush fire with this question.

As a person new to cruising (only one so far) and cruise critic, I am constantly amazed at the vehemence with which the topic of formal dress is discussed. Some day, I need to start a thread like "How formal should the clothes I use to smuggle my booze onto the ship be?"

Our previous sailing was on NCL (no real formal nights), so our upcoming on RCL will be interesting. Personally, I'm using this occasion as an excuse to buy a tux and my wife has a couple of great vintage dresses ready to trot out. We'll enjoy seeing those dressed up to the nines, and we'll enjoy scratching our heads over the folks who think the t-shirt with a tux printed on it equals formal wear. But mostly, we'll enjoy taking photos of how fabulous WE look!!

RCL gives a dress code somewhere of what is acceptable dress when they designate a night as "formal". It isn't the same as Emily Post, but that doesn't matter--the people misusing the word "formal" would be RCL, not the people who wear suits, or cocktail dresses, or sports jackets. I've yet to see my first tiara on board...

Back in the day when checked baggage was free, we dressed to the nines. I have my own tux, and we tried renting one for my partner--once. The pants had a broken clasp, so he spent the evening trying to hold them up. These days, we wear ties and sports coats or a suit--permissible under the dress codes for formal evenings on the lines where we have sailed. We usually don't pack them--we wear them on the plane, then change into something more appropriate for sail-away that I pack in our carry-ons.

I have seen jeans a few times, but they've never been quite as ubiquitous on my cruises as some of the posters on this thread would have you believe. I've never seen shorts and flip-flops in the MDR (in fact, I've seen people turned away for wearing shorts on casual nights).

It is true that there will be less and less formal wear by anyone's definition as the night progresses.

Tell us how you REALLY feel. j/k

I like it!

I'm the OP and asked the question because my TA said :"You know Royal Caribbean is ever so much more casual than HAL". So that got me to wondering if my definition of "Formal" was passé or had changed and whether I should give up my long gowns and settle for lovely cocktai lones so as not to clash with the majority of other passengers on Royal Caribbean.

I know this is our cruise and we should do what we want; however, were we to be among the very few in traditional formal attire we might embarass others at our table who were not similarly attired. We enjoy ourselves more when we fit in.

And, of course I was not even referring to jeans, cut-offs, tee shorts and flip flops. I truly believe thiis is not appropriate wear for the MDR, much less for formal.

Didn't want to start or maintain a brush fire with this question. Simply wanted to know the customs and habits on Royal Caribbean in comparison to other lines. It's somewhat like visiting different countries: different habits. Some tip, some don't; some drive on the right side,some drive on the left; some eat with forks, some with chopsticks, some with their hands; some take off their shoes when entering a house, some don't; some pat children on the head, some are offended by this practice,etc.

Don't want to be judgemental, just informed.

If your cruise has an active Roll Call join in and see what the other CC'ers will be wearing. I think most of us read it as a reasonable question from someone entering a new place - you want to look good, but fit in also. Even on the shorter Caribbean sailings I tend to favor I'll see some tuxes and appropriatly dressed companions. :D

I really need a "like" button on this one. :D

DH & I will be taking a Royal Caribbean cruise next spring from Singapore-Dubai-Rome.

We've taken quite a few cruises on HAL & Princess so know how to dress on formal nights. BTW, I love long gowns & DH looks great in a tux. However I have no idea if formal wear is worn on RCI or if "formal informal" is more to be seen. If so, packing will be much easier..

Also would appreciate info about formal nights on RCI.

Thanks

Hubby and I love to get all formal! Even on the short cruises! I don't care what anyone else thinks! The kids are getting into it too for our upcoming cruise!

Archived