confused on boards

GrammaJo128

I'm brand new, so I hope this isn't a stupid question, but why are all the threads on the 'first time cruiser' board jumping around? By dates? In other words, why are threads from 2004 or 2006 showing up before more current questions? I'm trying to learn from them all, but I worry that info that is 7 years old may longer be an accurate answer. I'm also afraid I'm missing a setting or something. Thanks for any help.

No problem. When someone, anyone, posts on a thread it is automatically "bumped" to the top of the page. This is why if someone resurrects a thread from 2007 and posts a reply on it, it will show up at the top.

The first thing I do before replying is to note the date of the original thread. There are, literally, thousands of threads here. One should look at the dates before replying and even taking advice to heart because things can certainly change over time.

Hope that helps. :)

The threads are listed in the order of the most recent post. So for at least an instance after in post this, your thread & my response will be on top. If a minute from now I or anyone else posts on another thread, it will move to the top, and this one will rop to second.

The first thing I do before replying is to note the date of the original thread. There are, literally, thousands of threads here. One should look at the dates before replying and even taking advice to heart because things can certainly change over time.

LOL -- few things are more embarrassing than giving a long, detailed reply to a new cruiser's urgent plea for help -- only to realize that their cruise was five years ago! :o ;)

LOL -- few things are more embarrassing than giving a long, detailed reply to a new cruiser's urgent plea for help -- only to realize that their cruise was five years ago! :o ;)

Well, although the long and detailed reply may not be of any use to the original poster, it is likely that there are many other new cruisers who have very similar questions. As a matter of fact, it should be encouraged for newbies to read other people's answers to old posts, instead of asking the questions over and over again. Actually most of what I've learned on this board is from reading responses to other people's questions rather than posting numerous questions that I had.

If it is general enough question, I think that it is appropriate for helpful posters to answer it, even if it wont help the original poster anymore.

If it is general enough question, I think that it is appropriate for helpful posters to answer it, even if it wont help the original poster anymore.

I hear what you are saying but I actually disagree - a "bumped" 7 year old thread is just annoying!! Plus the information contained within is horribly out of date. ;)

Ahh, that all makes sense now! Thanks!

I agree that new people like myself should look for their questions being answered already, but sometimes (at least for me) it's hard to find those particular questions. I use the search field, but I think I am slowly learning how. I'm confident I will end up asking more questions though! You guys are great! I can't wait to become one of the people who actually knows some answers.

I can't wait to become one of the people who actually knows some answers.

You already are! ;)

The search function is great -- when it works -- sometimes it just doesn't. And the point that LangleyCruisers made about old threads is often applicable to "search" results, as well. Sometimes the info you do find is out-of-date and inaccurate. So don't ever be afraid to ask a well thought out question on these boards! :cool:

I hear what you are saying but I actually disagree - a "bumped" 7 year old thread is just annoying!! Plus the information contained within is horribly out of date. ;)

Some topic are time dependent, some topics do not change all that much. It makes little sense to bump topics which belong in the former group because they can be, as you state, horribly out of date. But I do not see a problem bumping topics that belong in the latter group.

And, it makes sense to me to rather bump topics that are rarely encountered, so that a reader can view what has been stated on that topic previously, rather than start a discussion from scratch.

Some topic are time dependent, some topics do not change all that much. It makes little sense to bump topics which belong in the former group because they can be, as you state, horribly out of date. But I do not see a problem bumping topics that belong in the latter group.

And, it makes sense to me to rather bump topics that are rarely encountered, so that a reader can view what has been stated on that topic previously, rather than start a discussion from scratch.

I agree with pdmlynek, There are some topics that are helpful even though they hade been started years ago. For instance the thread called " I wish I knew before..." it has plenty of helpful hints that can still be used today, but yes there are other topics that are out of date and the reader should start a new thread for updated information.

This has been happening a lot over the last few months. And many of us feel that after say 3 or 4 years many of the threads should be closed.

People will do a search -- and will get many threads on the topic that they have chosen. Then they pick a thread and never bother to check the date when the thread first orginated. They just start posting and others may chime in -- and then confusion starts.

Archived