Acts of kindness you've experienced while cruising

First cruise, Freedom in 2009. Ocho Rios stop. Climbed Dunns River Falls, got through the gauntlet at the top to the dvd guy that sells video of your trip up. Wife and I bought the dvd, girl behind us(was on the same ship as us) starts lamenting she doesn't have the cash to buy the dvd.

Well...we were skeptical but figured we'd be nice and lend her the money for the dvd of the walk up the falls. She said thank you so so much, I'll meet you in the main atrium at xxx time for repayment, etc etc.

Well, we figured yeah right, but figured we did a good deed by giving this girl a dvd of her walk up.

Sure enough at the agreed upon time she was meeting up with us with money in hand back on the ship.

So, I guess a act of kindess on both parts you could say. Us buying that stranger her dvd of the climb and the girl actually meeting up with us when she very easily could of disappeared in that big ol ship.

We were on the other side of an act of kindness just like this. After swimming with dolphins in Curacao we found that the excursion person on the ship had lied to us when she said we did not need to take any money with us on the excursion as everything was paid for and we'd be back for lunch. We had just enough money (cash only please) for one photo and we not only wanted two photos, we wanted the DVD as well.

One of our fellow cruisers came to our rescue with $100 in cash (and we couldn't say "thank you" enough).

Upon returning to the ship, I went straight to the cabin safe while my DW and the other couple headed to the Lido for lunch. I met them there with the cash. We spent lunch getting acquainted with our new friends and shared several meals after that.

Each time we show our DVD to friends and family, we remember it would not have been possible without the kind act of strangers.

Cheers!

P.S. - GREAT THREAD!!

On debarkation day on the Pride, I had 2 bottles of booze left over. I wrapped them in towels and put them in our beach bag to carry off the ship. My husband put the beach bag behind his bar stool at the pool bar. When he got up, the bag fell over and one bottle broke.

The bartender (Rudy) helped us clean up, then went to her room and got us one of her beach bags so we could take the rest of our junk off the ship.

I thought that was very very nice. Of course she got a tip and she wanted to keep the wet beach bag. Done! :)

On my frist cruise at age 13 we went transatlantic on the Queen Elizabeth out of NY. The seas first night were a bit rough. At dinner the water in the glasses was moving quite a bit.

For dinner I ordered my favorite, lamb. After serving it the waiter asked in a thick English accent "Do you want some mmint sorcre?" Or something. I couldn't understand him and after asking twice more I just said yes. He proceeded to pour green slime all over my perfect piece of lamb! Mint sauce!

I quickly backed away from the table about to be sick and went directly back to the cabin. My grandmother and brother finished dinner.

A little later I was feeling a bit better and there was a knock at the cabin door. It was the server who had brought me an apple. He knew I hadn't eaten and wanted me to have something.

He asked if I wanted a tour of the parts of the ship where crew live. He was nothing but a gentleman. (I couldn't think of allowing that today.) I got to see all kinds of things. It was a Behind the Fun tour just for me!

He was always so polite and professional whenever I saw him on the ship and at dinner. He paid great attention to my family and the family we were with, 2 parents with their son.

That is what friends are for.

Hi, G! Yes, I agree...but for 4 or 5 of you guys to lift a grown man that high was quite a feat!! Paul still talks about that with amazement!! He's shared the story many times!! It makes me really happy to let folks know what a great, kind, thoughtful group of CRAZIES were about to board that terrific cruise together -- Silver

My #3 son joined the Navy and we went to Great Lakes to see him graduate from bootcamp last July. I am retired Navy and went to Corps School in Great Lakes. While there we would go to the Silo for deep dish pizza. My son wanted to try the deep dish so that is where we went. A nice lady came up and started talking to my son. She thanked him for his service and told him how proud she was. Then she gave him a gift certificate and walked away. When he opened it he almost fell out of his chair. She had given him $100 dollars :eek:. I started to cry because our budget was tight for that trip. It was amazing. The following week I was back at Great Lakes seeing a friend graduate. I ran into a mom who was also short of money. I was able to help her out and pay it forward.

My #3 son joined the Navy and we went to Great Lakes to see him graduate from bootcamp last July. I am retired Navy and went to Corps School in Great Lakes. While there we would go to the Silo for deep dish pizza. My son wanted to try the deep dish so that is where we went. A nice lady came up and started talking to my son. She thanked him for his service and told him how proud she was. Then she gave him a gift certificate and walked away. When he opened it he almost fell out of his chair. She had given him $100 dollars :eek:. I started to cry because our budget was tight for that trip. It was amazing. The following week I was back at Great Lakes seeing a friend graduate. I ran into a mom who was also short of money. I was able to help her out and pay it forward.

Thank you for your and your son's service much respect !!! from a former Marine :)

Hi, G! Yes, I agree...but for 4 or 5 of you guys to lift a grown man that high was quite a feat!! Paul still talks about that with amazement!! He's shared the story many times!! It makes me really happy to let folks know what a great, kind, thoughtful group of CRAZIES were about to board that terrific cruise together -- Silver

I hope we can cruise together again.

The guests offering to take pictures of the whole family happened daily for us too...and the favor was always returned :) And this one will be a shocker to some that think Carnival is only out for the almighty $$$.....

We won a free cruise for 4 in a Carnival.com "Build a Ship" contest by building a huge cardboard ship in our back yard and sending it in (followed by finals and public voting) Well, when we received the cruise certificate Carnival had upgraded our prize to a cruise for 5. They must have noticed in the picture that we have three kids. That saved us from having to book a second cabin and was super generous of Carnival ;)

Could you please post a pic of the ship you built.

On a cruise to Jamaica, I planned no activities at all. Hubby stopped at the excursion desk and off we went to Dunn's River Falls. I got about half way up and couldn't go any further. The guide and a fireman placed me in between thenselves and helped me all the way to the top! Hubby was having a hard enough time but managed to make it, also.

Then upon our return to the ship......Our table mates were just about to go parasailing.....something I had wanted to do, forever. However, we had left our cash up in our cabin. The tablemate said....no worries, I will pay for you so you can go now! So off I went, the thrill of my lifetime! Yes, at dinner that night we did pay them back, but we certainly made some great memories in Jamaica!

We encountered a senior lady in the corridor and she was wandering and confused. We asked if she was okay.

In a very distressed voice she said .....they moved my cabin.

We asked her cabin number and she gave us a even number. We told her she was on the odd number side of the ship and we took her over to the other side where her even numbered cabin was located

I got lost in Nassau by myself.

When a local man (I'm 90% sure he was homeless) noticed I looked lost, he went out of his way to approach me.

I wanted to go to the queens staircase and I was super way off. He walked me back to Bay Street and set me on the right path. He didn't ask for money and it didn't occur to me to give him anything til I was gone.

I was really anxious about being lost, taking time out of his day not only to help me but to walk with me back was very kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife was really sea sick one morning. I went to eat and one of the crew members ask where my wife was at. I told her she was sick and she said sorry for that and left. Just a few seconds later she came back with a bowl of crackers for my wife. On another cruise we were eating MDR and the couple that were sitting next to us didnt seem to be having a good time. Maybe they seemed a little stuck up I guess. I think it was the second night the crew was taking pictures and my wife hates having her picture taken, but for some unknown reason when they went to take the picture of the couple next to us. She just moved over next to the guy and snap went the picture. We all laughed so hard (she never does that kind of thing). Every night after that they invited her over for pictures and i bet they took home every picture. I think my wife made their vacation one to remember:D

My DH just shared his with me: He was on his way to cruise with his ex-family when he lost his wallet with all of their vacation cash at a rest area on I95. He called and cancelled all of his credit cards and was going to have to borrow money for the rest of the vacation but kept calling home just in case anyone had found it and called. Lo and behold, the day before they were leaving on the cruise, a gentleman left a message on his home phone saying that he'd found it. As luck would have it, the finder had been on his way to FL too and was able to meet him in Kissimee and return it, cash intact. That gentleman's act of kindness saved their cruise! :)

Just a story not about the kindness shown by passengers but by Carnival. After this, they can do no wrong and other cruiselines could take lessons.

We adopted a retired Greyhound (from the track in Tijuana). Casey had a short career on the track due to injuries (thank God) and we found him when he was just 2 years old. We spoiled him as much as we could even keeping a loveseat when we bought new furniture so he could have a sofa of his own. He was living the dream and he helped us deal with the "empty nesters" issue when our kids went out on their own.

When my wife and I went on our dream cruise on the Spirit this past April we had to take our guy to the Greyhound rescue agency where we found him (they had boarding there also). He loved the other Greyhounds and loved the people who owned it.

On our second sea day, I was in the shower getting ready for dinner when my wife got a phone call. Our son, 24 and a former Marine (now a sheriff here in San Diego) called to let us know our Casey died in his sleep the previous night. When I got out of the shower I found my wife in tears talking to our son who was also in tears and of course I thought there was a death in the family. Well, there was, just not a human but our loving, playful and joyous furry son.

Our son had called Carnival Corporate to find out how to get hold of us. They not only gave him the number to the ship but told him the call would be free. After he connected with us the call was dropped (satellite). We called down to Customer Service (Purser's Office) to arrange another call. When they found out what had happened to our Casey they told us how to make the call and that the call would be free and for us to talk as much as we needed. Wow!

After the Splendor fire and watching how Carnival took care of both the passengers and the crew, the way Carnival helped us out shouldn't have surprised me but you just don't expect a faceless corporation to have so much heart.

I agree with other posters...this thread is great and reminds me we're all members of the human family and need to take care of each other.

This is such a great thread....

I am a photographer and I have often offered to take others' pictures so that everyone can be in the picture. I have had many thank yous for doing it. I just ask them to return the favor if they see others in the same situation.

I absolutely loved reading the story of the teenagers that got off the elevator for the disabled gentleman.

I just got a new camera before our 2011 sailing on Liberty. My wife and I walked around the ship one evening and ended up sitting an aft bench watching the sunset. I was playing with my camera and taking lots of pics using different settings when a couple came and stood by the railing. They seemed to be enjoying the sunset together and I took advantage of using them as a subject.

I tried to find the right setting for a silouette photo but just couldn't seem to do it. Finally, I took my wife's point-and-shoot and got this shot. I showed it to the couple and they thought it was great. I gave the young lady, Madison, my email address and told her I would send her a copy, which I did. She was very excited to have it and it made me feel good being able to offer something to someone that they could not have gotten for themselves.

madison.jpg.a9d5f2c31339198e68af0cfe11129004.jpg

About 3 or 4 hours into my very first cruise (on Fantasy), I was chosen by TJ the host of game show trivia to participate on stage. From cruiser friends, I had already heard about those famous ships on sticks trophies. So, I came thiiiiissss close to winning a ship but came in 2nd place and won a medal. I was still very happy. But really did want that ship!

After sitting down to watch the rest of the entertainment, a young couple (Joey and Trish) came over carrying a ship on a stick. Joey said they try to win one on each ship they go on and they had already won 2 for Fantasy. He said he would trade his ship for my medal if I wanted, but if i won one for myself later in the cruise, we could swap back! I couldn't believe they were willing to do that. So, I ended up with my coveted ship just a few hours into my 1st cruise. I didn't win another ship so still have my "trade up ship".

Since my friend was having severe back pain during our cruise (an on-going medical condition) and was confined to our cabin several days while taking pain medication and muscle relaxers, I explored the ship and did things by myself. A couple days later, I had gotten pizza and lemonade for lunch and went out on the open verandah to look for a table to have lunch. Shirley was in the cabin resting as she could barely walk that day. Well, when I stepped outside to the tables, Joey and Trish were there having lunch and invited me to join them. It was so sweet of them and I didn't have to eat lunch alone. Saw them several times on the ship and if my friend wasn't with me, they would always ask how she was doing. Sweet, friendly young couple. They definitely made an impression on me on my first ever cruise. :)

Just a story not about the kindness shown by passengers but by Carnival. After this, they can do no wrong and other cruiselines could take lessons.

We adopted a retired Greyhound (from the track in Tijuana). Casey had a short career on the track due to injuries (thank God) and we found him when he was just 2 years old. We spoiled him as much as we could even keeping a loveseat when we bought new furniture so he could have a sofa of his own. He was living the dream and he helped us deal with the "empty nesters" issue when our kids went out on their own.

When my wife and I went on our dream cruise on the Spirit this past April we had to take our guy to the Greyhound rescue agency where we found him (they had boarding there also). He loved the other Greyhounds and loved the people who owned it.

On our second sea day, I was in the shower getting ready for dinner when my wife got a phone call. Our son, 24 and a former Marine (now a sheriff here in San Diego) called to let us know our Casey died in his sleep the previous night. When I got out of the shower I found my wife in tears talking to our son who was also in tears and of course I thought there was a death in the family. Well, there was, just not a human but our loving, playful and joyous furry son.

Our son had called Carnival Corporate to find out how to get hold of us. They not only gave him the number to the ship but told him the call would be free. After he connected with us the call was dropped (satellite). We called down to Customer Service (Purser's Office) to arrange another call. When they found out what had happened to our Casey they told us how to make the call and that the call would be free and for us to talk as much as we needed. Wow!

After the Splendor fire and watching how Carnival took care of both the passengers and the crew, the way Carnival helped us out shouldn't have surprised me but you just don't expect a faceless corporation to have so much heart.

I agree with other posters...this thread is great and reminds me we're all members of the human family and need to take care of each other.

Your story absolutely broke my heart. We just lost our beautiful Cocker Spaniel a couple months back so I know the pain you feel.

But what a great story re: Carnival's handling. Thanks for sharing.

Archived