celebrating on embarkation day

Billy101

I'm looking for some ideas to make my husband's birthday special. Although Princess will do the sign on the door and cake at dinner, his birthday is actually our first day and according to the cruise personalizer website, we can't choose embarkation day for the celebration. The first full day is the first day available to select.

Does anyone know if I could get this on his real birthday if I called Princess? Or is the turn-around day just too busy? He's expecting something, so does anyone have any other suggestions? We have anytime dining, so we may even be due for long lineups to get into dinner, based on what I'm reading...not quite the birthday he's anticipating!

Thanks!

He might find it more fun AND relaxing if he can wait until the first full day of the cruise. Embarkation day can be a little hectic both for the stewards and the dining staff...

I do love to have a celebration on board. They will decorate your door, which makes your cabin really easy to find!:)

Why not schedule your dinner in a specialty restaurant on the first night.

Or just wait and plan something for different day that he doesn't expect...maybe a couples massage? Dinner on your verandah if you have one?

Why not schedule your dinner in a specialty restaurant on the first night.

This.

Getting a reservation on embarkation day is a breeze. Just call DINE when you get on board. And if you contact the restaurant, (or walk up to it) in advance and speak with whomever is manning the host station, I am certain that they will be able to prepare a special birthday dessert. Or, at a minimum, prepare a dessert from the menu, but spiffy up the plate with writing in chocolate and a candle.

If your TA or Princess can't schedule it for the first day, speak to your c abin steward upon boarding as he/she is the one who puts up the door decorations. If not too busy, he/she may be able to do it for you that day.

And when you to to the dining room for dinner that evening, let your headwaiter know it is DH's birthday and this is the evening you would like to celebrate.

I'm looking for some ideas to make my husband's birthday special. Although Princess will do the sign on the door and cake at dinner, his birthday is actually our first day and according to the cruise personalizer website, we can't choose embarkation day for the celebration. The first full day is the first day available to select.

I think you need to appreciate how little the princess 'celebration' is.

The cake -- think a double-wide cupcake. Several waiters

from nearby wait stations will group around for 30 seconds,

sing happy birthday, and your waiter will present the 'cake'

and a card.

Of course there will be the additional excitement of some (non-helium)

balloons, or some laser printer signs taped to your door.

I think you need to appreciate how little the princess 'celebration' is.

The cake -- think a double-wide cupcake. Several waiters

from nearby wait stations will group around for 30 seconds,

sing happy birthday, and your waiter will present the 'cake'

and a card.

Of course there will be the additional excitement of some (non-helium)

balloons, or some laser printer signs taped to your door.

...it's the thought that counts...:rolleyes:

thanks for all of the suggestions!

This is a man who pretty much insists on a full birthday week. Nothing needs to be big, he just likes to feel special...and as often as possible.

Maybe we'll go to a specialty restaurant that first evening, get the 30 seconds of singing and cake the next day and then a special spa surprise later in the week when he's exhausted from all of the excursion-ing that I always make him do.

Does anyone know if I could get this on his real birthday if I called Princess? Or is the turn-around day just too busy? He's expecting something, so does anyone have any other suggestions? We have anytime dining, so we may even be due for long lineups to get into dinner, based on what I'm reading...not quite the birthday he's anticipating!

Thanks!

In light of the tremendous amount of work the ship's crew has to do on a cruise turnover day, I am not surprised that they ask not to schedule celebrations on that day. I have celebrated many events on dates other than the true date, (many due to the Navy), and it doesn't lesson the enjoyment of the celebration. In my own cruising experience, having a formal celebration on embarkation day would not be as much fun due to the fatigue and stress of travelling to the port. Going through an airport always ruins my day.

We've been able to "celebrate" our birthday or anniversary on Embarkation day, so maybe check again. If not, though, I suggest making a reservation for Sabatini's the first night. I doubt many people will be there the first night, adding to the romantic ambiance. My husband and I were the only diners our first time, and we were specially served at our window table by the Maitre'D; it was amazing! Also, you could order chocolate dipped strawberries and/or champagne to be waiting for you when you arrive in your stateroom on Embarkation day; you can include a birthday message for your husband. Have fun!

A couple of years ago we did a Celebrity crusie and my husband's birthday was a couple of days in to the cruise. As this was our first Celebrity cruise I wasn't really sure just what they would do, or if they would even do anything. So, I hit the party store several days before we left home and bought Happy Birthday Posters, and birthday garland. I also had the kids and grandkids give me cards in advance so Dad/Grandpa would have something to open.

I packed double stick tape and the afternoon right before his birthday while he was down at the gym working out I decorated the door and the wall in our stateroom. Our room steward even got in and helped me and then left a bottle of champange chilling in an ice bucket the day of his actual birthday. I had many nice compliments on my door decorations. Also, made it really easy to find our stateroom as it really stood out! :):)

Thanks!

I was also going to suggest a specialty restaurant. My other suggestion would be booking the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, if it's available the first night. That would make his birthday very special. Our anniversary date is the 2nd full day of our cruise, which will most likely be a formal night. We don't want to miss that, so we're booking the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast that morning, & going to the MDR that evening. We'll book the UBD later in the cruise. Unlike some, I don't think celebrating on any other day than the official date is the same thing. Our UBD will be considered a special vacation dinner not an anniversary dinner. It will still be special. I do know how your DH is. I have a sister who celebrates her birthday month. :D It's funny how sisters can be so different. Another thought, since he likes to celebrate all week, you could book an UBB for him one morning at sea also.

Speaking of celebrations, I'd like to order an anniversary cake with buttercream icing to our cabin for our anniversary. Does anyone know how I would go about ordering it? As I said, it will be the 2nd day of our cruise. I think I remember seeing a large cake on here previously, but don't remember how they acquired it. If I have a cake with buttercream icing, I'll be set for breakfast & dessert for the week. Actually, a bowl of icing delivered to my cabin would be even better. :p FWIW, I would expect to pay extra for the cake. I'm not expecting to get one for free.

thanks for all of the suggestions!

This is a man who pretty much insists on a full birthday week. Nothing needs to be big, he just likes to feel special...and as often as possible.

Maybe we'll go to a specialty restaurant that first evening, get the 30 seconds of singing and cake the next day and then a special spa surprise later in the week when he's exhausted from all of the excursion-ing that I always make him do.

Since your hubby likes to celebrate multiple days I think this is a great idea. If embarkation day is his birthday it really would be nice to go to one of the specialty restaurants. Perhaps you can actually go to whichever of the specialty restaurants you choose on embarkation day and let them know it's hubby's birthday and see if they might be willing to add a "liitle something" to the dinner. You never know unless you ask. Enjoy your cruise:)

I was also going to suggest a specialty restaurant. My other suggestion would be booking the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, if it's available the first night. That would make his birthday very special. Our anniversary date is the 2nd full day of our cruise, which will most likely be a formal night. We don't want to miss that, so we're booking the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast that morning, & going to the MDR that evening. We'll book the UBD later in the cruise. Unlike some, I don't think celebrating on any other day than the official date is the same thing. Our UBD will be considered a special vacation dinner not an anniversary dinner. It will still be special. I do know how your DH is. I have a sister who celebrates her birthday month. :D It's funny how sisters can be so different. Another thought, since he likes to celebrate all week, you could book an UBB for him one morning at sea also.

Speaking of celebrations, I'd like to order an anniversary cake with buttercream icing to our cabin for our anniversary. Does anyone know how I would go about ordering it? As I said, it will be the 2nd day of our cruise. I think I remember seeing a large cake on here previously, but don't remember how they acquired it. If I have a cake with buttercream icing, I'll be set for breakfast & dessert for the week. Actually, a bowl of icing delivered to my cabin would be even better. :p FWIW, I would expect to pay extra for the cake. I'm not expecting to get one for free.

I also believe that going to a specialty restaurant on the first night would be the best idea. I really don't think that they can do an Ultimate Balcony Dinner on the first day, for the same reasons they do not do celebrations... It is turnaround day for the crew, and exhausting for everyone involved.

As for the cake, I believe you can order something from the Princess Website, onboard services, gifts....Not sure they have buttercream icing though...

Good luck and have fun!

We've been able to "celebrate" our birthday or anniversary on Embarkation day, so maybe check again. If not, though, I suggest making a reservation for Sabatini's the first night. I doubt many people will be there the first night, adding to the romantic ambiance. My husband and I were the only diners our first time, and we were specially served at our window table by the Maitre'D; it was amazing! Also, you could order chocolate dipped strawberries and/or champagne to be waiting for you when you arrive in your stateroom on Embarkation day; you can include a birthday message for your husband. Have fun!

Can you tell me how I would order the champagne etc? I've been looking on the princess site but can't seem to find it!!

Thanks in advance

Can you tell me how I would order the champagne etc? I've been looking on the princess site but can't seem to find it!!

Thanks in advance

1. Go to the Princess home page.

2. On the lower middle/right hand side, (at the very bottom), look for the column called: "Additional Information".

3. Five links down in that column, click on "Gifts & Services".

4. When that new page opens, you can download a pdf that you can fill out and fax in. To see what it is that you might like to buy, scroll down and find the third link in the column called: "Pricess Cellars and Culinary Delights".

5. Or, instead of filling out the form, you can call the number provided on that page to place an order.

I also believe that going to a specialty restaurant on the first night would be the best idea. I really don't think that they can do an Ultimate Balcony Dinner on the first day, for the same reasons they do not do celebrations... It is turnaround day for the crew, and exhausting for everyone involved.

As for the cake, I believe you can order something from the Princess Website, onboard services, gifts....Not sure they have buttercream icing though...

Good luck and have fun!

That could be true for UBD. I don't know who oversees them & how busy those who help make it happen are on turnaround day.

Thanks for the cake info. I haven't seen that option there, but I'll look again. :)

and pack some decorations in a girly bag and wait for him to take a shower to put them up. I also had pre-wrapped gifts for him, also, pre order the ultamate balcony breakfast. That will be waiting on your desk

for him. It's WONDERFUL. :)

Archived