Just received this e-mail notification

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CRUISE

Zaandam

Itinerary Change Notification - 12 Fall/13 WS Mexico:

In order to enhance our guests' cruise experience, the calls to Mazatlan,

Mexico have been replaced by an overnight in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. With

exception of the 4/6/13 sailing, the call to Mazatlan will be replaced with a

day at sea.

I am so sorry to learn this. Mazatlan was our favorite stop and we looked forward to doing many week get aways to visit that city again: lovely historic area and great food. They had a winner. This is really tragic.

I'm sorry to be missing Mazatlan but am not surprised. Can't understand why HAL listed it as a port of call in the first place. Glad I'll be getting a sea day. Would rather that than oernighting in PV. Am wondering why my cruise didn't choose to go to Manzanillo or La Paz.:rolleyes:

Really sorry to hear this, but glad that it is overnight in PV, as opposed to Cabo.

Solocanadian, when we were in La Paz last fall, the bus guide said that they'd only had 18 ships for the entire year or something. Sad, as it is such a lovely place. We felt blessed to get there (unexpected itinerary change).

Yea, you can spend a lot of time in WalMart.:rolleyes:

Or take a bus to Boca or Mismaloya. :rolleyes:

I personally don't care for Cabo, I find it obnoxiously loud and lacking in charm. Add in the tender rides, and I have zero desire to overnight there, thanks.

PV has some wonderful restaurants to explore and since most of these are only open in the evening hours, an overnight here can be a lot better than Cabo.

But Mazatlan is so much more low-key in its historic center which is where we liked to dine, shop and stroll the best. And enjoy their local brew Pacifico. Not sure that could be said about its more developed resort Costa Dorado area, which is where I think most of the crime threat was occurring.

I too always wanted to visit Stone Island and was hoping to do this on a return visit. Lots to like about Mazatlan.

Till the lines drop all Mexican ports, It is getting worse rather than better.

Never felt un-safe in a Mexican port? Well I have never felt safe in one and had several friends murdered in the safe zones, that they touted to me as safe... No thanks They are dead now..

Living in So Cal I saw and heard too much of violence against gringos that never got reported...

The crime and violence you hear of is just the tip of the iceberg.. its far far greater:o

It's a shame, hopefully the new President can improve the situation. Many of the restaurant owners on the Texas border are opening places on this side, and moving their families to the U.S.

I had my first oyster coctail in Mazatlan, and have not had a better one since. Must have been the lime and salt air.

Too bad. I also prefer Maz to PV or Acapulco. My favorite though is Zihuatenejo, very small, low-key port town easy and safe to walk around. My next favorite is La Paz, water so crystal clear it nears the caribbean for beauty.

I too am in s. Cal but will not go over the line to visit TJ or Juarez but would not hesitate a trip to La Paz, Zihuatenejo or Cabo. Always have felt safe in those towns.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Never felt un-safe in a Mexican port? Well I have never felt safe in one and had several friends murdered in the safe zones, that they touted to me as safe... No thanks They are dead now..

Living in So Cal I saw and heard too much of violence against gringos that never got reported...

The crime and violence you hear of is just the tip of the iceberg.. its far far greater:o

I know someone that was murdered in Hawaii. I guess I shouldn't go there:rolleyes:. It can happen anywhere. I've felt more unsafe in the Caribbean. Hal doesn't stop going there.

Or take a bus to Boca or Mismaloya. :rolleyes:

I personally don't care for Cabo, I find it obnoxiously loud and lacking in charm. Add in the tender rides, and I have zero desire to overnight there, thanks.

I feel the same about Cabo, and much prefer PV or Mazatlan. But my absolute favourite is Zihuatenejo, it's so quaint, and the people so friendly.

I feel for the loss of your friends but to impugn the safety of an entire country by innuendo is wrong. Although it may be painful, please provide the specific ports and years when these tragedies occurred. I read the Mazatlan newspaper on a daily basis and cannot recall a single incidence of a cruise ship passenger being a victim of violent crime. I don't that it would go unreported in a major tourist destination.

Has anyone heard any more about the three tourists off a Carnival ship who seemed to have disappeared on Thursday on a port call in Jamaica? It was in the newspaper today, but all it said was they (a couple and their adult son) were not on a ship sponsored excursion. They haven't been heard from at all.

Seems to me that the Caribbean offers probably the same amount of danger as Mexico, and maybe more so.

We were there 2 yrs bago for a New Years cruise and we walked all around the old district and opera house with no problem at all. However 1 week later there was a shoot out between 2 drug gangs and a tourisgt was killed. I don't believe he was off a cruise ship however there is a tremendous amout of violence down there and a lot of it does go un reported. However also some of the newspapers for the reporters sxafety are not reporting on drug gang crimes and that has been reported because thier reporters have been murdered and threatened. You don't have to be doing anything anywhere all you have to be is in the wrong place and the wrong time.I'm a retired DA and I do pay attention to crime figures and it makes good sense to,me to be extra carefull. We are booked on Zaamdam for this New Years and we always go downtown to see the cathedral and to seneor frogs but were not going to do that this trip just caution. Its sad because there is alot top see and do in may of the mexican ports but better to be safe than sorry.:)

Mexico has become overrun with violence. I don't blame the ships for not stopping there. Maybe the Mexican government will do something if all the cruiselines stop going there.

My guess is there is more money skimming off the drug trade by crooked officials paid to look the other way, than what seasonal cruise ships bring in.

It's about time, Mazatlan, just an old dirty port and more to follow..

Sorry you missed the stunning restoration of the Centro Historico in Mazatlan. It is within walking distance from the ship. It was certainly not a "dirty old port" at all. It was nicely organized and a very welcoming city.

Archived