Muts

Among others,

The Hunger Games : Starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth. Directed by Gary Ross. Rated PG-13, 142 Minutes.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel : Starring Judi Dench, Bill Nighy and Maggie Smith. Directed by John Madden. Rated PG-13, 124 Minutes.

Among others,

The Hunger Games : Starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth. Directed by Gary Ross. Rated PG-13, 142 Minutes.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel : Starring Judi Dench, Bill Nighy and Maggie Smith. Directed by John Madden. Rated PG-13, 124 Minutes.

This past week, also The Lorax, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, John Carter... I'd have to look back at my patters for more.

Among others,

I want to see both of these and hope they're still playing in a couple of months.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from the Star Princess and they had (from what my daughter and I both remember - I'm sure there are some we're forgetting):

Hunger Games

Man on a Ledge

The Lucky One

Mirror Mirror

The Hunger Games, Man on a Ledge, and The Lorax were also on the TV.

How does MUTS work? Is it all day long, is the sound loud?

During tbe day they play a lot of old films, some in black and white and some even silent. Sound is annoying during the day but we avoid that part of the ship. During the late afternoon and evening, they set it up with the covered sunbeds although lots of uncaring people sprawl on the beds in their wet swimwear, leaving them wet for other people to sit on later in the evening. DH got caught like that! Although we did go to MUTS a couple of times, I still don't really like the concept. Much rather watch a film in a dedicated cinema or in the theatre.

How does MUTS work? Is it all day long, is the sound loud?

During the day it's almost impossible to watch a movie with people walking in front of you every 20 seconds and sometimes distorted, overly loud sound but at night it becomes almost tolerable. Some people love it, some hate it.

Given a choice I'd rather watch the movie indoors any time.

We loved MUTS at night. It is best to get a seat in front of the screen as opposed to on the sides because the sound does get distorted. While sitting on the sides we sometimes couldn't make out what was being said.

During the day they seemed to play concert films a lot which seemed to fit the atmosphere just fine. It was just like having music playing though you could watch if you wanted. Occasionally they would put a movie on and it didn't work as well. With all the commotion of general pool activity, plus the noise from the band at the other pool, it was very hard to hear but also hard to ignore. We usually left if a move was put on during the day.

We sail on the star on 9/2 -- the precruise email listed:

Your cruise features a selection of TV programs, special satellite events and recent Hollywood hits. Here’s a preview of what you’ll see on your upcoming voyage:

THE AVENGERS: Starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth. Directed by Joss Whedon. Rated PG-13, 143 Minutes.

SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN: Starring Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth. Directed by Rupert Sanders. Rated PG-13, 127 Minutes.

I assume these are in the indoor theater -- but I sure hope they are on MUTS!

We sail on the star on 9/2 -- the precruise email listed:

Your cruise features a selection of TV programs, special satellite events and recent Hollywood hits. Here’s a preview of what you’ll see on your upcoming voyage:

THE AVENGERS: Starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth. Directed by Joss Whedon. Rated PG-13, 143 Minutes.

SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN: Starring Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth. Directed by Rupert Sanders. Rated PG-13, 127 Minutes.

I assume these are in the indoor theater -- but I sure hope they are on MUTS!

Generally the ones they list in that pre-cruise email are ones that will be shown on MUTS. At night. Yes, even in Alaska. Yes, it is cold, even with blankets, but people still watch. :eek:

Sometimes they are also shown on TV or indoors. The one I really wanted to see on our recent cruise (Hunger Games) was only shown on MUTS and I never found it on the TV. That's okay - I bought it on DVD last weekend and we watched it at home tonight.

Just returned from the Grand, similar films to mentioned already with addition of The Help. However Hunger Games was originally shown at 8 in the Vista and then a few days later on MUTS at 10.30, assume due to content. Other more grown up films eg The Dependents in the Vista.

Premiership uk football also shown last week the Chelsea and the Man Utd games on MUTS in the evening.

I enjoyed the 3 o clock films in the afternoon which were chick flicks or romantic comedies. I found the sound and view was the best from the higher deck rather than below by the pool.

Generally the ones they list in that pre-cruise email are ones that will be shown on MUTS. At night. Yes, even in Alaska. Yes, it is cold, even with blankets, but people still watch. :eek:

Sometimes they are also shown on TV or indoors. The one I really wanted to see on our recent cruise (Hunger Games) was only shown on MUTS and I never found it on the TV. That's okay - I bought it on DVD last weekend and we watched it at home tonight.

that great -- can't wait to see them! now if I could just figure out which nite so can eat in crown grill before hand then fall asleep to a good movie under the stars!

IMHO, MUTS have simply ruined the atmosphere of the pool deck during the day. It is sad that we must avoid the entire pool area to find a place where it is relatively quiet. When they are not blasting MUTS during the day there will be a band blasting music or an assistant CD screaming over the PA system as they host some kind of pool game. MUTS was named "Movies under the Stars" because it was supposed to be a great place to watch moves at nght (and it is fun). But it was never intended as the source of awful noise pollution during the daytime. For us, it has simply meant booking other cruise lines over Princess although we will still return to Princess from time to time.

Hank

I was disappointed with MUTS. The picture quality is that of an old TV even for first run movies. It is more honestly called TV Under the Stars except sometimes it does play movies. It also plays rock concerts and if the artist is what you want, you get poor concert sound with the visual. Meh ... did not go on cruise to watch TV.

For the record, only saw this on Grand Princess. Other ships maybe better and I do hope so. Oh yes, free popcorn. I buy dry popping corn and know this is not the prize give-away of the decade.

Archived