The Wind across the Black Sea.

drron29

We found the quality of the entertainment on this cruise was very good and tonight was no exception.First Sonny and Cher-

black%2520sea%2520010.JPG

Then the remarkable Mick Jagger-

black%2520sea%2520015.JPG

But I couldn't get sir elton to look around-

black%2520sea%2520017.JPG

But then Cyndi put her heart and soul into her number-

black%2520sea%2520024.JPG

More to come.

Then the women took over-

black%2520sea%2520027.JPGblack%2520sea%2520032.JPG

the audience was singing along-

black%2520sea%2520037.JPG

But we were waiting for the King-

black%2520sea%2520050.JPG

But unfortunately he didn't sing one of his classics so a bit of a letdown.The music was soon back as everyone was invited up to do-

All the moves like Jagger

I've got the moves like Jagger.

Well i got up and found i certainly didn't have the moves like Jagger so left it to the man himself-

black%2520sea%2520055.JPGblack%2520sea%2520011.JPG

As we cruised into Nessebur(or Nessebar if you prefer)the locals were ready for business-

black%2520sea%2520088.JPG

The Old Town however was originally built on an islans but is now connected to the Mainland.It was founded by Thracians,then Greeks and Romans to then change hands regularly over the years.Because it is a small Island there are not Port facilities for the Wind and we take to the tenders for the only time this cruise-

black%2520sea%2520089.JPG

You can see why-

black%2520sea%2520091.JPGblack%2520sea%2520%2520ad%2520044.JPG

But this gives nature a chance.I do love my birds!

black%2520sea%2520092.JPG

The causeway-

black%2520sea%2520%2520ad%2520047.JPG

All tourist busses have to stop here so very little traffic in the town-

black%2520sea%2520%2520ad%2520046.JPG

Again our research on Nessebur suggested an organised tour was not really necessary.This proved correct as most of the places of interest had signs with decent English descriptions.We further felt better about our decision because the Israeli tour group whose bus was bombed occurred ~ 40km south of here the day before we arrived.

So to the walls of the city-

black%2520sea%2520098.JPGblack%2520sea%2520%2520ad%2520048.JPG

just before we entered the town proper we saw this-

black%2520sea%2520096.JPG

Just couldn't figure what was missing.

There seems to be a church ruin on every corner-

black%2520sea%2520%2520ad%2520089.JPGblack%2520sea%2520%2520ad%2520115.JPG

But also some classic wooden Bulgarian houses-

black%2520sea%2520138.JPG

Some narrow,deserted cobblestone streets-

black%2520sea%2520146.JPG

And others full of shops with cheap souvenirs and tourists-

black%2520sea%2520151.JPG

But the locals just kept sunning themselves-

black%2520sea%2520160.JPG

One of the local tourism websites calls this the Pearl or Dubrovnik of the Black sea.Hmmm.

drron29 - I'm luving your pics. Had a good laugh at the storks. I took tons of stork pics on a trip to Europe - having never seen them before, they were such a novelty. I did the same thing recently in Ecuador with the hummingbirds. Never seen a hummingbird before in my life and now have so many pics of them.:)

This has been a great thread.

Cheers

Jennifer

More of the Bulgarian style buildings-

black%2520sea%2520119.JPG

I was intigued by this shop sign-

black%2520sea%2520127.JPG

And some more ruins as we made our way back to the port-

black%2520sea%2520161.JPG

Next to which was a nice cafe with a great view.Unfortunately it was another very hot day so we continued back towards the port.

black%2520sea%2520162.JPG

looking down to the port buildings over the various city walls-

black%2520sea%2520169.JPG

And believe it or not this is the customs/Immigration building.

black%2520sea%2520173.JPG

Next back to the wind for lunch.

After we returned to the Wind and freshened up it was time for lunch.This was interesting.Rojaan just felt like the Baby back ribs.On the lunch menu it has a sentence-you may also choose from our Always Available menu but unlike the evening meal there is no list.So she asked our waiter what was on this list for lunch.he replied I think it is the same as at night so she ordered said ribs.

A little later we saw the Chef come out and obviously was having words with our waiter.when the ribs arrived I asked if there was a problem and was told I shouldn't have told you the evening list was available but I stood my ground-to which I replied,Well Done.You now have a very happy customer.So here are those ribs-

black%2520sea%2520182.JPG

And I had the Beef rendang-

black%2520sea%2520183.JPG

And we both had the apricot rice Pudding for dessert-

black%2520sea%2520184.JPG

To counter the effect of our meals we did a few laps of Deck 9.here is the view to the Island of Nessebur and the old windmill on the causeway-

blacksea%25202%2520002.JPGblacksea%25202%2520003.JPG

Next-our final night.

Our last night we again had dinner in Le Champagne.First though was pre dinner drinks with the couple from vermont-and fellow Cruise Critic posters.but there was a monumental fail for Silverseas-they had run out of fresh mint so no Mojitos!Quelle Horreur!

So with a heavy heart we set out for Le Champagne.Tayfun and Thearith soon had my spirits lifted and I forgot the evening's disaster.I started with the Foie Gras then the Lobster Bisque-

blacksea%25202%2520004.JPG

I then had the Venison-

blacksea%25202%2520008.JPG

Rojaan had the Lobster salad,Foie Gras and then rack of lamb-

blacksea%25202%2520007.JPG

We both finished with the cointreau Souffle.For wines we had a Chilean sauvignon blanc and I then had a Burgundy-both were from the free pour list and we enjoyed both.Chilean wines are often underrated and in top wine shows have often been major medal winners.Both the wines were excellent.Unfortunately it was on this night I had a long talk with the Sommelier.I asked why one of my favourite Australian reds was not on the premium list-I was told because we only have 6 bottles in stock so if it was on the list many would be disappointed-if someone asks for that style of wine it will be offered.So on the Cloud in November I will ask much earlier in the cruise.

One last picture-of an addition to the Wind-

black%2520sea%2520181.JPG

Note the protective screen.when we had dinner with the Safety officer he told us of an incident on another Cruise Line off the coast of Africa.Warning shots were fired and fortunately the incident ended then.

So our time on the Wind is rapidly coming to an end.It has been a great time.Thoroughly enjoyed our time on the Wind.When we awoke the next morning we were nearly at the Port.Time for one more breakfast on our balcony.

A little after 0900 we disembarked.Once again Istanbul failed to impress.We were staying at the W Istanbul and I knew a taxi should be~5-10TL.Was told it was 10 Euro(22TL).Insisted on the meter.It was turned on and already had 13 TL on it so by the time we arrived at the W it was 22TL.So I gave him 10 Euro.When he then asked for a tip and the bags were safely with the doorman I gave him a verbal tip.I can not repeat it here.But he got the message.

So that ends this rather long Trip Report.I hope that some of you will get something from it.I realise that my problem is-Why use 1 picture when a hundred will be better.I hope to do a little better in November.

Thanks for taking us along on your Black Sea journey! Enjoyed seeing the ports that we visited on our trip 2 years ago, and some of the new ones as well. Glad you enjoyed it.

Your pictures brought the review to life. As someone who's also undertaken a photo-intensive review, and who knows how much work it is to put it together - thanks for your effort!

Really enjoyed your report. It has me wanting to do a Black Sea cruise, something I had never considered before, but your pics are just beautiful.

BTW, my husband has had to give a few verbal tips to taxi drivers in Istanbul too. One took us to the wrong hotel (after I had shown him the name and address as well as told it to him) then wanted to charge us extra to take us to the correct one.

Drron,

We've certainly enjoyed your photos. It has been such a generous thing for you to share your sights and experiences. Thanks so much!

We sailed The Black Sea on the beautiful Royal Viking Sky about 25 years ago. Odessa seems completely transformed. When we were there the city was all peeling paint, empty stores and sad looking people...very depressing. Your pix show a very different story.

Sochi was a shabby small port city, but as it was designated for training circus performers, we jumped at the chance to take an excursion to a one ring circus. There were many excellent acts, but one stood out. At least a dozen house cats sat on high little stands and a trainer ordered (house pussycats!) to jump thru flaming hoops, dance, rollover, walk on a tightrope. My husband and I went wild, clapping and whistling. The Russian patrons looked at us, horrified at our excitement. We were genuinely blown away, and still are thrilled by how much fun we had.

In Yalta, after a regime serving tour, we met some teenage boys who were undoubtedly curious about our group. They wanted to practice a little English and to check us out. I had a full pack of gum and offered pieces to each boy. They were all very pleased. One boy got tears in his eyes as he thanked me. You never forget something like that.

• 11 months later...

If you have read this thread you can see that I loved our time on the Wind.I would go again.But it is always up to the individual,their tastes and what they want from the cruise.

I believe you are looking at the African cruise next year.This is not offered by many cruise lines.Having just done it I can recommend it.I have done a cruise report on it in this Silverseas forum.

Archived