Should we bring reusable water bottles on board?

RuxieGirl

Is there somewhere to refill a stainless steel water bottle 24/7? Is the sink water in the stateroom potable?

I like the idea of not having to waste cups and we are used to bringing our reusable bottles around with us, so is it a good idea to bring them on board?

I usually buy one of the bottle with the ship name on it each cruise, and then cart it around. It's a souvenir with use, and then I use them when I get home. I ref roller derby, and there are always a ton of water bottles all over the track, but everyone knows mine are the Carnival ones!

And yep, I drink the water out of the bathroom sinks all the time.

I usually buy one of the bottle with the ship name on it each cruise, and then cart it around. It's a souvenir with use, and then I use them when I get home. I ref roller derby, and there are always a ton of water bottles all over the track, but everyone knows mine are the Carnival ones!

And yep, I drink the water out of the bathroom sinks all the time.

Nothing wrong with that. After all, it's the same water you use when you brush your teeth. If you want colder water, get it from the dispenser near the buffet area.:)

We always bring our insulated cups to fill & carry around. Just be sure that if you are filling your container from the dispenser on the Lido deck, use one of the plastic cups to fill it and not directly from the dispenser to the bottle.

We always bring our insulated cups to fill & carry around. Just be sure that if you are filling your container from the dispenser on the Lido deck, use one of the plastic cups to fill it and not directly from the dispenser to the bottle.

Great point - you beat me to it LOL! It is amazing how many people refill their glasses and bottles right from the water spigot.

Great point - you beat me to it LOL! It is amazing how many people refill their glasses and bottles right from the water spigot.

Sorry, what am I missing here? Why can't you fill your reusable bottle right from the spigot? Isn't the whole point of this to not use a plastic cup? If I have to use a plastic cup to transfer water from spigot to water bottle, then why bring the water bottle?

Ditto the refilling method. I like to have an insulated cup for hot and cold drinks. I also bring powdered drink mixes. I kinda like to get the cups you buy on board but I have way too many now and don't have room for any more. Which is a bummer cause I checked out the Tervis cups/mugs and really like them. They are a little pricey but I found some in Fiesta patterns. I'll have to accidentally break one of my old cups so I can justify getting a new Tervis cup!

Sorry, what am I missing here? Why can't you fill your reusable bottle right from the spigot? Isn't the whole point of this to not use a plastic cup? If I have to use a plastic cup to transfer water from spigot to water bottle, then why bring the water bottle?
Some people are not careful to keep their water bottles from actually touching the spigot on the dispenser, thus freaking out the germophobes. :rolleyes:

Because you could transfer germs to the spigot from the top of your personal bottle and therefore spread those germs around to others. They are pretty strict about this and I have seen signs telling folks not to put their cups right under the dispenser.

If I promise to be careful, can I skip the plastic cup? ;) Sorry, don't mean to be disrespectful, I totally get it. I just hate to waste a cup, which was why I asked the question in the first place.

Somebody's water bottle briefly touching the water spigot on the dispenser is the least of my worries when it comes to food sanitation on a cruise.

With a wide mouth water bottle, there's going to be no problem loading it with ice and water/lemonade/tea so that nobody is offended.

As a citizen of Earth, thank you for not needlessly using a plastic cup.

Well, you can try to fill whatever cup you have but don't be surprised when the "water dispenser police" stop you. Just sayin'.

And the cups are not disposable plastic cups-they are heavy plastic and re-usable. This is what they use in the buffet area.

And the cups are not disposable plastic cups-they are heavy plastic and re-usable. This is what they use in the buffet area.

This is good news, thanks for filling me in. Happy to use a reusable plastic cup to fill up my bottle. Thanks!

Well, you can try to fill whatever cup you have but don't be surprised when the "water dispenser police" stop you. Just sayin'.

I love this post as I posed a general question on a different board asking why people don't bring reusable bottles.

If I promise to be careful, can I skip the plastic cup? ;) Sorry, don't mean to be disrespectful, I totally get it. I just hate to waste a cup, which was why I asked the question in the first place.

Sorry I don't think so...just use ice from your room and water from your bathroom faucet.

Just off the Freedom and there are signs everywhere near water faucets/spigots telling people they coudl not use the area to refull personal water bottles. Most mornings they had someone near the drink area and I saw them tell people as they came up that they should not use it for refilling.

You may be very careful, but if others see you doing it, they will think it is ok, and they might not be careful.

Well, the signs you saw on the Freedom are a new one to me. I've done two Carnival cruises this year on two different ships and had absolutely no problem filling up my bottles with ice and water and/or tea at the Lido. There we no signs and no "water police", thank goodness.

Also, even if a cup is re-usable, it has to be washed and sanitized which uses water and electricity. That's a needless waste of resources as far as I'm concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived