Husband Found Conquest Too Crowded - Now What?

We were on our largest cruise ship last week - Carnival Conquest - and DH really did not care for the size. He said that he liked the sizes of the Carnival Inspiration and the NCL Sun much better. To him the Conquest felt crowded; more cabins but the public space felt the same to him as the smaller ships. I agree that there were times when the Lido, both outside and buffet area inside, had tons of people around, but I didn't think it was too bad.

After hearing him complain, I was SO glad that we were not on the Carnival Dream, our initial booking for Summer 2012. I fear that we may never cruise again, since the vessels keep getting larger and larger. :confused: I really was hoping to try Sunshine or another cruise line with a lot of activities for everyone, but I just don't see that happening, now.

Anyone have recommendations on ships that feel less crowded? And, yes, we must travel during peak times, due to school-aged children.

Too bad many districts no longer have year-round schools, lol

I know exactly what you DH is feeling. We like some of the HAL ships-Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam, Rotterdam. They have the same feeling of being less crowded as the Fantasy class ships. The Westerdam was too large for us. Many times HAL runs $99 or free rates for the 3 & 4 pax in the cabin.

Knowing that you cannot cruise off-peak how about rearranging your schedule? Eating earlier or later? Different area of the Lido?

If you want to stay with Carnival how about the Spirit Class? The Spirit didn't seem as bad as the large ships we've been on. A bit more crowded than the Fantasy Class but not as crowded as the Splendor.

Edited by SadieN

Try NCL Gem. We traveled the week of Christmas (returned on Christmas Day) and it did not feel crowded at all.

Sadly, I have found all of our Carnival cruises way too crowded - at least in the buffet areas. I just think they need to add more options, open earlier, stay open longer. I am not so sure it is a space vs number of people problem but a management of people problem. I wish they would work on it. I prefer other lines but Carnival's prices and itineraries are just too enticing!!

Thankfully there are many sizes of ships! I like the Spirit class and don't find it crowded at all. I recommend trying one of those. I've been on the Freedom and the Valor (Conquest class), and while I didn't necessarily find them overly crowded, I like the space and number of people on the Spirit class better.

I agree- a spirit class ship.

Spirit, Legend, Miracle or Pride

No dead ends on that class ship like all the other ships

If he thought Conquest was large-- do no tlook at the Voyager class as I thought they were too big.

We were on our largest cruise ship last week - Carnival Conquest - and DH really did not care for the size. He said that he liked the sizes of the Carnival Inspiration and the NCL Sun much better. To him the Conquest felt crowded; more cabins but the public space felt the same to him as the smaller ships. I agree that there were times when the Lido, both outside and buffet area inside, had tons of people around, but I didn't think it was too bad.

After hearing him complain, I was SO glad that we were not on the Carnival Dream, our initial booking for Summer 2012. I fear that we may never cruise again, since the vessels keep getting larger and larger. :confused: I really was hoping to try Sunshine or another cruise line with a lot of activities for everyone, but I just don't see that happening, now.

Anyone have recommendations on ships that feel less crowded? And, yes, we must travel during peak times, due to school-aged children.

Sunshine will be worse more passengers less space then Conquest

Sunshine will be worse more passengers less space then Conquest

I was just thinking the same thing~ they are taking away public space to add more cabins on the Sunshine~ he'll probably HATE the Sunshine if he thought the Conquest was too crowded~ I personally love the Conquest class~

Sunshine is Destiny redesigned. Destiny now has the same size buffet area as the smaller Fantasy class ships, a major flaw.. renaming it and then adding even more cabins.. that doesnt sound like a good plan to me if your husband minds crowds.

we sailed the Celebrity millennium last year and although there were a lot of people there were times we thought we were the only people on board. There were also a lot less kids than on most Carnival cruises. That said we were on the Breeze in June and never felt that there were over 4000 people. Activities were spread all over and there were multiple shows so other than the occasional crowd at the Lido during an early morning port we were shocked that we never felt overwhelmed by the crowds.

I was on the Conquest last week and did not find it any more crowed than the 3 Fantasy class ships I've been on. If I ate lunch at peak time it was a little crowded, if I hit the lido deck late morning it was a little crowded and if I went to the comedians show at show time, yes it was crowded on the Fantasy class ships, the Triumph last rear and the Conquest. I adjust to deal with crowds and every thing was just fine.

You can see the ships I've been on and none of them, except the Conquest, felt crowded. Conquest was horrible for both of us, thankfully we were sailing with friends we hadn't seen since I served in the Philippines and that made it a nice vacation.

Sunshine is Destiny redesigned. Destiny now has the same size buffet area as the smaller Fantasy class ships, a major flaw.. renaming it and then adding even more cabins.. that doesnt sound like a good plan to me if your husband minds crowds.

But they are making the buffet area larger too.

Our last cruise was the NCL Jewel. I never felt overwhelmed by humanity. Looks like you cruised on the NCL Sun, even smaller than the Jewel. Maybe those are more your style. I really enjoyed the Jewel, but we found the food less inviting (at least at the included restaurants) than Carnival's.

I think if feeling less crowded was No. 1, I'd be happy to go with most of the NCL ships (excluding Epic and Breakaway) or maybe some of the HAL ships that carry under 2,000.

Jim

It sure sounds like we should consider a Spirit Class next or a different line (which is fine, too). I really appreciate everyone's comments. They have been very helpful.

It will be a few years before we cruise again, but I like to plan, plan, plan, so these responses will help me when researching possible cruises.

One option is find a new husband. :eek: j/k of course. I loved the Conquest. We recently sailed the Elation out of NOLA and found it too small for us. It wasn't crowded, just boring for us. But some people love love love that ship.

Truly shows different strokes for different folks right? lol.

I would try one class size down...not sure what that is, but i'm sure someone on here can let you know.

At least he didn't say he hated cruising and never would go again lol. Then you would certainly have to find a new hubby or go without him lol :p

It's not the size of the ship, but the "space to passenger ratio". The higher the number, the more spacious it should feel. Websites like cruisedeckplans.com provide numbers for all major cruise lines.

Carnival in general is not known for having great space to passenger ratio. Other cruise lines are more generous.

Here are some numbers of the ships you've sailed on. These are for a full ship (all berths filled, which is the norm during summer time). Remember, the lower the number, the more crowded it should feel:

• Carnival Inspiration: 27
  • Carnival Conquest: 31
  • Norwegian Sun: 33
  • Crystal Symphony: 51

Here are numbers for other ships mentioned, and for other popular ships/cruise lines:

• Carnival Dream:28
  • Carnival Sunshine:27
  • Carnival Spirit:32
  • Oasis of the Seas:34
  • Radiance of the Seas: 36
  • Freedom of the Seas: 36
  • Celebrity Solstice: 38
  • Norwegian Epic: 30

Edited by Tapi

We were recently on RCL Allure and while it is a huge ship with lots of passengers we never felt crowded because there are so many public areas spread out over the entire ship and so many things to do. It was definitely the most awesome ship I have been on. :)

I have not sailed either yet but all my friends who have, said the Oasis and ALlure never seemed crowded and they were sailing max capacity each time.

As car as Carnival goes, I was on the Liberty wiht a full booking and it only seemed stuffed was on the promenade during photo night. Same for Imagination but lines on Imagination were just stupid at the buffet.