Last Minute Change of Heart?

Leucothea

Has anyone here ever spent a few thousand on a booking (transatlantic), only to find that a few days before sailing they are not up for it? The packing, the large amount of luggage, and just making the trip over there. If you are planning a move, but find you're not ready for it? If you've had a lot going on in your life, and don't have the will to muster up any more energy because you're exhausted?

Obviously you'll lose the money spent. I suppose one could just go over and fly right back, but if you have dependents that you don't want to leave for someone else to look after; and you don't even feel like doing that.

Has anyone had this experience? Would you force yourself to go anyway?

Has anyone here ever spent a few thousand on a booking (transatlantic), only to find that a few days before sailing they are not up for it? The packing, the large amount of luggage, and just making the trip over there. If you are planning a move, but find you're not ready for it? If you've had a lot going on in your life, and don't have the will to muster up any more energy because you're exhausted?

Obviously you'll lose the money spent. I suppose one could just go over and fly right back, but if you have dependents that you don't want to leave for someone else to look after; and you don't even feel like doing that.

Has anyone had this experience? Would you force yourself to go anyway?

Well, fortunately(or unfortunately)that happened a few years back. We got upgraded from a Britannia Club to a P-1, because the pax backed out 10 days before the trip.Last Jan. Richard(my partner) got real sick just before our Panama trip.He had a transplant a few years back & got quite a bug. The immunosuppressants really weaken your system(to prevent organ rejection)we went, but he spent a few times in the infirmary (on the QV)DR. Potten did a great job getting him better, so the trip lucliky turned out just fine after a shakey day or 2.So needless to say it can happen to anyone.

Based on the replies to the OP's question, I must be the only person that has never had second thoughts just before a cruise.

I do, however, have second thoughts, every Monday morning, about going to work. :)

I've never had second thoughts about a cruise, either. I will admit to having last-minute regrets, mostly about wishing I had started organizing/packing sooner. But no regrets about booking the trip.

I've never had second thoughts about a cruise, either. I will admit to having last-minute regrets, mostly about wishing I had started organizing/packing sooner. But no regrets about booking the trip.

That's two of us then. :)

I suppose, if pushed, I could admit to one last minute pre-cruise regret. And that would that I don't have enough money to book a Q1.

Might appear to be in a minority from some of the comments above, but we never regret a booking and we actually enjoy the pre-cruise preparations, to us it's all part of the cruise experience, I suppose you could call it "cruise foreplay" if there is such a thing ;)

I literally had near panic attacks in the final weeks before sailing a QE2 full world cruise. "What have I done?" I kept asking myself.

It was the experience of a lifetime.

So many major events / life passages have an element of buyer's regret... a new house, a luxury car, a major trip, etc.

Just go and enjoy!

Well, fortunately(or unfortunately)that happened a few years back. We got upgraded from a Britannia Club to a P-1, because the pax backed out 10 days before the trip.Last Jan. Richard(my partner) got real sick just before our Panama trip.He had a transplant a few years back & got quite a bug. The immunosuppressants really weaken your system(to prevent organ rejection)we went, but he spent a few times in the infirmary (on the QV)DR. Potten did a great job getting him better, so the trip lucliky turned out just fine after a shakey day or 2.So needless to say it can happen to anyone.

So glad it turned out well.

Every trip I book, I have second thoughts, especially as departure time nears. As our trips involve the entire family, there's no getting out of it. However, I think that what you're feeling is not unusual.

I think I will (go anyway).:)

I literally had near panic attacks in the final weeks before sailing a QE2 full world cruise. "What have I done?" I kept asking myself.

It was the experience of a lifetime.

So many major events / life passages have an element of buyer's regret... a new house, a luxury car, a major trip, etc.

Just go and enjoy!

That's certainly true. Thanks. :)

I too had the "what am I doing?" conversations with myself before my back to back transatlantic, mainly because it was my first solo cruise, and all I could think was, what if nobody speaks to me, and I'm going to be on my own for two weeks . . . . . . . well I still went, and I had a blast, and met so many lovely people, was a member of a quiz team, sang on karaoke and had probably the best holiday ever. I can't wait til next time. :):D:)

Not a transatlantic but I did have an experience where I didn't want to go on a cruise. My mum died 2 days before I was due to go. Thankfully it was only a short trip. Everyone told me to go, right down to the funeral home staff. It was the weekend and nothing could be done until the Monday anyway. So I went. Thankfully I had some wonderful table companions who kept my spirits up during the trip and we're still friends to this day.

You'll be fine once you get there. :)

My answer to the original question:

I've had many last minute change of heart, but only when I didn't book the cruise! The pain was agonizing on more than once occasion when I watched the QM2 sail out of NY harbor! Now I'm looking at some great deals on TAs this fall. Will I have the same regrets this time?? :eek:

Rob

It's one thing when you are booking a cruise/crossing as a holiday.

But what if you are doing the crossing as a move (eg. to the UK), and you're just not ready for it? What if you have a pet in the kennel as well, but you're not sure you really want to stay in the UK? Once you bring your pet, you're stranded, because kennels are nearly impossible to come by (always fully booked).

But if you leave your pet behind but then decide you want to stay in the UK, then you have to go back to the US right away and try to get a kennel for a future crossing, but who in hell knows when that'll be? You don't want your little sweety in a nasty, noisy, scary cargo hold (of a plane), and animals occasionally die that way. I suppose you could try to squeeze him under an airplane seat, but the odds his slightly too large size will be accepted are iffy, and he might be very uncomfortable.

So what do you do then? Do you go or do you stay?

This has been the case for me. I went, and was stranded.

My answer to the original question:

I've had many last minute change of heart, but only when I didn't book the cruise! The pain was agonizing on more than once occasion when I watched the QM2 sail out of NY harbor! Now I'm looking at some great deals on TAs this fall. Will I have the same regrets this time?? :eek:

Rob

I have heard it said that you're more likely to regret the things you didn't do than the things you did.

Based on the replies to the OP's question, I must be the only person that has never had second thoughts just before a cruise.

I do, however, have second thoughts, every Monday morning, about going to work. :)

I'm with YOU on this one! I am usually "jumping out of my skin" with excitement! I couldn't even imagine not going after all the anticipations and waiting!

Conversely, two days before final payment, I was still vacillating, wondering if we should spend the $$$. But DH reminded me that we already had our airfare booked (2nd half of our London RT ticket after our Princess TA/British Isles cruise in April). So that was half the battle....why waste a perfectly good plane ticket from Atlanta to London?

I've been dragging my feet a bit on booking transportation from Heathrow to Southampton and booking a hotel in Southampton...but I will get there!

Might appear to be in a minority from some of the comments above, but we never regret a booking and we actually enjoy the pre-cruise preparations, to us it's all part of the cruise experience, I suppose you could call it "cruise foreplay" if there is such a thing ;)

I am a HUGE fan of "cruise foreplay"!!! Typically I have a folder or a binder with all the ports we are visiting and which tours we are taking, a listing of all the activities we are participating in with the CC group and others, helpful hints, airplane reservation info, hotel info, cruise tickets, etc, etc! I drive my poor DH CRAZY!! He's learning, he just smiles and nods and says, 'that sounds great dear"!

Heck, I even have a few drawers in my guest room containing all my "cruise paraphernalia!" LOL!

For me it really does add to the whole cruising experience as well!!

What is that saying? "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey!"

I agree! ;)

Archived