Learning the ropes here on CC...be gentle please =)

smiliehi.gif

I joined the forum a month or so ago and have been perusing many posts, threads, and lengthy reviews. They have been very helpful and most interesting.

I am new to cruising, meaning I have never had the opportunity to take a cruise. I am in a somewhat unusual situation right now and hope to begin

cruising often in the next few years. I am a single mom, with a 20 year old daughter on her way to med school. She has approx. 2 years left of pre-med and will take the MCAT next summer. She has been a blessing to me

and I know she has a crazy 5-8 years ahead of her. I want to do something very special.multistars.gif

I would like to take her on our first cruise right before she actually starts

medical school.

One of my questions is; which cruise would any of you~~who have cruised MANY MANY times~~choose, for a beautiful, relaxing, stress free cruise of about 3 weeks to a month. It will probably be the last chance to take an extended trip for several years, for her at least.

Due to a very painful back, I cannot do things like hike or climb long uphill walks.

I won't know specifics as far as actual dates until she gets through these next 2 semesters.

The prices I have seen by browsing seem less than I expected.hapydancsmil.gif

I also did not know that when you cruise, you are not returned to the same port you left. embarrassed.gif

I also thought all meals were included which always had a GRAND seafood buffet, which doesn't sound accurate from what I am reading here. doh.gif

So I am pretty clueless and hope if I ask questions you all won't get too annoyed.

I will search the board before I start asking repetative questions.smblah.gif

Thanks.

Welcome to CC! I'm a relative newcomer too (to cruising as well), so I have no suggestions as far as cruises go. Just wanted to say I love the smilies you used in your post. Hehe. Most people seem to be quite friendly and helpful, but if you run into anyone that isn't, use ignore!!

It sounds like a very sweet thing you are wanting to do, for your daughter and also for you. But if neither of you have been on a cruise before, 3 or 4 weeks on board sounds ambitious to me. I can't imagine anyone not loving a cruise, probably 90% or more of the posters here are in the same boat. *haha* But there are those folks out there who didn't love being on board.

With her schedule, is there any way to try it out with a 7 day cruise first? Then if it is something you like - maybe book the longer cruise - even a 14 or 20 day cruise is long in my book.

Meals are included, unless you go to a specialty restaurant. You will know if there is a charge, it won't be a surprise. The grand midnight buffets have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Some cruises end in a different port than they start, but often they end where they start out. It just depends on the cruise. I loved the 2 week transatlantic I took, but those are mainly in the fall or spring & likely would not be down time for her. And a lot of sea days, would not recommend it for someone on their first cruise.

Have you looked at World Cruise segments? That way you can get your month of cruising going to some spectacular places to visit.

One other suggestion, do a transatlantic to Britain, stay on the ship and do a Med/Baltic/Northern Europe type 'cruise' and then do another crossing to get you back to New York.

You mentioned not being dropped off at the same port you depart from, this is not necessarily true, you can find some lovely closed loop cruises. In fact MOST of the cruises from the U.S. are closed loop, check itineraries.

There are SO MANY options out there, you might want to use a travel agent who is very familiar with cruise vacations who can help you and lead you to what you have in mind.

I hope you have a trip of a lifetime, what a wonderful experience you have in store for you. Be sure to get passports! it makes it a lot easier if you do have one.

There are soooo many to choose from. I know how difficult it can be. You have had good suggestions and i will add 1 more... Oceania is a semi luxury line and Regent is a luxury line. Both offer wonderful itineraries. if you are not a big drinker or would not care to be on excursions every day I would choose Oceania

Just my opinion.

~Doris~

Relaxing and beautiful....no hiking and climbing...

What about a 28-30 day trip to Hawaii and Tahiti?

You could do a roundtrip out of LA or San Francisco...San Diego. Depending on which cruise line you choose.

These return you back to the same port.

Great mix of sea days and South Pacific ports.

Europe would be nice. Maybe fly to England and look around for a while then take a shorter cruise to either Norway Fjords or the Baltic. Several cruiselines have 10-12 day cruises from Dover. However, a lot of historic places do require walking and climbing stairs. Just go slow at your own pace. Another idea is Alaska. I'm with you on the physical challenges and already waited too long to hike, kayak, zipline etc. However the scenery and wildlife are the big draw and anyone can enjoy that no matter how physically challenged. You may want to go to the handicapped board to get ideas. Not everyone there is wheelchair bound. Many just need a little help and have to go at a slower pace. Good luck on your research.

Maybe a New England cruise out of New York or Boston. Most but not all will return to the same port. A 7 day cruise would be a great one for a first timer. Get at least a room with a balcony. Sitting outside with the ship going to the next port is Fantastic and not to be missed. Order room service one morning out on your deck. Don't try to do all the excursions. They will list how much walking, hiking or driving (in a bus) will be required. Good luck and you will get hooked like the rest of us. Last thing, after you pick your cruise, get back here and find your cruise line and get on the Roll Call for your cruise date and see what the group of folks signed in are doing. It will be "Party Time" there.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Have you thought about which part of the world you want to cruise? Depending on the time of the year, you can go almost anywhere.

It will be summer. Neither of us care for hot weather-like continuous 80°-90°. I guess I am asking what are the most beautiful parts of the world to cruise. She will have approx. 90 days between pre-med graduation and starting medical school.explanation.gif

Relaxing and beautiful....no hiking and climbing...

What about a 28-30 day trip to Hawaii and Tahiti?

You could do a roundtrip out of LA or San Francisco...San Diego. Depending on which cruise line you choose.

These return you back to the same port.

Great mix of sea days and South Pacific ports.

That sounds dreamy Foghorn.dreamyeyesf.gif Would a round trip mean seeing the same things on the way back? Or do they take another route home?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Have you looked at World Cruise segments? That way you can get your month of cruising going to some spectacular places to visit.

One other suggestion, do a transatlantic to Britain, stay on the ship and do a Med/Baltic/Northern Europe type 'cruise' and then do another crossing to get you back to New York. You mean essentially 3 cruises?

You mentioned not being dropped off at the same port you depart from, this is not necessarily true, you can find some lovely closed loop cruises. In fact MOST of the cruises from the U.S. are closed loop, check itineraries.

There are SO MANY options out there, you might want to use a travel agent who is very familiar with cruise vacations who can help you and lead you to what you have in mind.

I hope you have a trip of a lifetime, what a wonderful experience you have in store for you. Be sure to get passports! it makes it a lot easier if you do have one.

I hope it will be everything we are planning for....I'm afraid it will be a disaster since I am so out of my element. A travel agent might be the way to go. nervoussmiley.gif

It sounds like a very sweet thing you are wanting to do, for your daughter and also for you. But if neither of you have been on a cruise before, 3 or 4 weeks on board sounds ambitious to me. I can't imagine anyone not loving a cruise, probably 90% or more of the posters here are in the same boat. *haha* But there are those folks out there who didn't love being on board.

With her schedule, is there any way to try it out with a 7 day cruise first? Then if it is something you like - maybe book the longer cruise - even a 14 or 20 day cruise is long in my book.

Meals are included, unless you go to a specialty restaurant. You will know if there is a charge, it won't be a surprise. The grand midnight buffets have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Some cruises end in a different port than they start, but often they end where they start out. It just depends on the cruise. I loved the 2 week transatlantic I took, but those are mainly in the fall or spring & likely would not be down time for her. And a lot of sea days, would not recommend it for someone on their first cruise.

Good to know meals are mostly included. I was beginning to think perhaps 2,14 day cruises versus one 30day cruise might be wiser. It definately be summer. As I said to Paul, we aren't thrilled with really hot weather so I need to find a cruise or two with great weather when it's too hot back home.icecubesmiley.gif

I loved my cruise to the Baltics with my mother. We went in and out of Copenhagen on Princess. It was magical!
Sounds lovely! Did you happen to post pictures here?photosmile.gif

Welcome to CC! I'm a relative newcomer too (to cruising as well), so I have no suggestions as far as cruises go. Just wanted to say I love the smilies you used in your post. Hehe. Most people seem to be quite friendly and helpful, but if you run into anyone that isn't, use ignore!!

Thanks for the welcome! I've had some very helpful replies. I hope no one is annoyed by my smilies.bubblesmiley.gif

There are soooo many to choose from. I know how difficult it can be. You have had good suggestions and i will add 1 more... Oceania is a semi luxury line and Regent is a luxury line. Both offer wonderful itineraries. if you are not a big drinker or would not care to be on excursions every day I would choose Oceania

Just my opinion.

~Doris~

Not drinkers and excursions everyday might not be the most relaxing. I'll look up Oceania.reading.gif Thanks!

We have been on 13 cruises in the past 5 years and loved every one of them. We have done some combining of cruises to cut the airfare cost. For example, we did a river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam and combined that with a Baltic Cruise. Last year we combined a cruise froim Rome to Dover with a tour of Cornwall and a week in London.

Also, since you are in Ohio, a Princess cruise tour from Toronto to NY of 15 days might be the thing to give you a taste for cruising without being jet lagged.

We did that last October.

Our trip stories are on our website and we are happy to answer any questions

i think first most importantly you need to figure out the time frame ( even if its a 3 month span you know she is available ) you can do a search for just those months.. the time of the year will effect cost and weather and what trips are available.

really any place is gorgous its hard to say oh this island was boring and dirty and i never want to return. ( that totaly depends on the person one mans trash is another mans treasure )

finaly decide WHERE abouts to go.. do you want to travel to europe for what might be her only chance ?? or rather lay on several tropical beaches w palm trees all around???

as far as food goes. like other said all food is included expect specialty resturants. (some lines still do random midnight party buffets but its not something they have planned before you sail )

also most trips do start and end in the same port.. some do not. the ones that start/end in same port dont stop at the same ports on the way home.. usualy you have a few extra sea days or its just more ports.. totaly depends on the trip but you wont restop at the same ports..

hope some one this helps!!!

i wish my mom took me on a month long trip!!

oh yes that was my last point.. the month long thing... if this is both of your 1st trips i dont suggest a month long trip.. neither of you is sure you will enjoy it or not get sick . id hate for you to spend the $$ and have this big trip and then end up hating it and stuck on a boat unhappy for so long ( all though highly unlikely :) ) perhaps a land vaca followed by a cruise ???

I really don't want to be a downer, but I really need to caution you on taking a first cruise of such an extended length. There are many people who realize that cruising isn't their cup of tea, and look forward to getting home. If you book a 30 day cruise, and you realize you don't like it, or get seasick, or just discover its not for you, what would you do?

Is there any possibility of taking a shorter cruise before embarking on such an ambitious one? At least with a shorter cruise, you can discover if cruising is for you. If that's not possible, then maybe do a 14 day cruise with your daughter.

Whatever you decide, have a great holiday.

[

One of my questions is; which cruise would any of you~~who have cruised MANY MANY times~~choose, for a beautiful, relaxing, stress free cruise of about 3 weeks to a month. It will probably be the last chance to take an extended trip for several years, for her at least. depends on what you want.. do you want gourmet meals and wine? lots of fun activities? lie around and do nothing? do you want it to be about the ports or the ship?

The prices I have seen by browsing seem less than I expected. keep in midn that 99% of the time the quoted price is for the lowest category cabin.. an inside on a lower deck. if you want a balcony( HIGHLY recommend for longer cruises) or ..even a suite if you really want to go nutsoid.. you can expect to pay a LOT more especially for a longer cruise.

I also did not know that when you cruise, you are not returned to the same port you left. Not always true. most cruises do on fact leave and return to the same place.. you can always look at a back to back.. 2 cruises one right after another.. most of the time you can keep the same cabin but you may repeat an itinerary if you do it this way

I also thought all meals were included which always had a GRAND seafood buffet, which doesn't sound accurate from what I am reading here. Have yet to see any seafood only buffet other than what is typically an option in the casual/buffet restaurant. most meals are included with the exception of specialty restaurants.. of course some lines have introduced 3 or more such venues on board their biggest ships.

Thanks.

First you really need to decide, in order,what your priorities are:

do you want to be spoiled rotten? then choose one of the higher end lines like Crystal, Seabourne or the like.. you may not be able to take a 3 week cruise, but even a ten day one could be plenty relaxing

do you want to see tons of new and exotic ports? then search based on where you wanna go and pick a line based on that

do you want it to be all about the on board experience? then chose a ship based on what offers the most appealing stuff such as enrichment classes( for afee), adult only areas, fine dining.. etc.

once you have decided that, you want to determine your budget and what you are willing to sacrifice.

for us, for instance, we will not sail in anything less than a balcony.. and we prefer suites. we also have a ball park figure of what we are willing to spend per cruise based on length.

also.. will you need to fly to your embarkation point? gotta factor in flight costs plus the extra hotel the night before. we can drive to our port so we can spend airfare money on other stuff.. like suites...

Welcome to CC. Yes, there are so many options. As others have said, you might want to try a shorter cruise first. May I suggest, Hawaii from LA, California. 15 days. Very relaxing. The are a couple of cruiselines that do this run. One, Celebrity, would be an excellent choice. The ship is the Century. :)

I think this trip is a wonderful idea for you and your daughter. My son is in his 3rd year of medical school. It is a very intense program and this may be her last chance for a care free vacation for a while.

You have received a lot of good ideas for this trip. My suggestion is to spend a week in Europe and then take a cruise. We spent a week in London and then took a Baltic cruise. It will be a fun adventure just planning this trip. Good Luck! :)

Good to know meals are mostly included. I was beginning to think perhaps 2,14 day cruises versus one 30day cruise might be wiser. It definately be summer. As I said to Paul, we aren't thrilled with really hot weather so I need to find a cruise or two with great weather when it's too hot back home.icecubesmiley.gif

I think the suggestions for finding a travel agent, one who really knows cruises (instead of just willing to take your $ and book) is a great idea. You can also go nuts researching & planning - what cabin is a good location, etc etc etc but to be so new & planning a major cruise there is a learning curve. I am GREEN with envy!

If your time frame is summer & you want cooler weather - how about a northern europe cruise? It won't be cold of course, but it sounds like the last thing you want is to be sweltering in the Mediterranean or Caribbean. Maybe do the tester cruise in Alaska, or Canada? Maybe it will be not be too hot if you go in june, as early as possible. I was in Montreal for 2 weeks in august, 90 degree weather with 100% humidity at times. Beautiful but not comfortable.

I love your smilies! I want to steal them. Especially the bubble blowing one - that's me with my bubbles on my balcony, my sail away tradition at embark & leaving every port.

I would consider a 7-10 day cruise to Caribbean on a mid range cruise line like Princess, Celebrity, maybe NCL. If you get on wrong line or too long a cruise either or both of you may be unhappy. CCL or RCL ships are so large, sometimes noisy.( But maybe your daughter would like the party atmosphere.) You can always do a longer cruise later if you like cruising. Caribbean waters offer some of best, most beautiful cruising in world.Summer is maybe 5 degrees warmer than Winter, Always a slight tradewind.You can easily do a RT from either FtLauderdale or Miami. Spend a few days on land before or after.I like good food and prefer the latest ships of Celebrity.Do some research for whats best for your tastes. Bon Voyage.

Welcome to CC. Yes, there are so many options. As others have said, you might want to try a shorter cruise first. May I suggest, Hawaii from LA, California. 15 days. Very relaxing. The are a couple of cruiselines that do this run. One, Celebrity, would be an excellent choice. The ship is the Century. :)

On another note, the temps for the islands average around 80 all year.

Like you we wanted to give our daughter a special trip to celebrate her achieving a First with Honours in her degree and also for her 21st, after a lot of soul searching and chat with TA we decided on Celebrity Equinox for 10 days. Looking on forums it seems a good choice, she is not a 'party girl' and able to enjoy all ages for company.

There is a good mix of port and sea days so we seem to have a good chance of experiencing if this is for us all.

Can't say if we were right as we don't go until January but am very happy with the choice made.

Good luck :)

But if neither of you have been on a cruise before, 3 or 4 weeks on board sounds ambitious to me. I can't imagine anyone not loving a cruise, probably 90% or more of the posters here are in the same boat. *haha* But there are those folks out there who didn't love being on board.

I really need to caution you on taking a first cruise of such an extended length. There are many people who realize that cruising isn't their cup of tea, and look forward to getting home.

Unless you are really really REALLY sure your daughter (and yourself!) will fall in love with cruising, take the good advice here.

As one of the ten percent who did NOT love it, I would have been in a horrid pickle if a gift of a 30 day, or even a 15 day cruise had been booked and paid for, once I figured out I did NOT like cruising. Pretending for 7 days to be happy in an environment that didn't work for me at all was pretty stressful.

You would be sad if she came home from her 'Vacation' and needed another one to recover from the first one!

Maybe pick a 7 day that has ports you and she would be interested in and a first or final port that you would enjoy exploring for a week or so. That way you an have an extended trip, and try cruising with out putting all your vacation eggs in one basket.

It's pretty messy if that basket gets dropped!

I bet she will be so happy to have that time with you and to take a 'time out' for herself. What a wonderful idea, best of luck planning!

Archived