Private Tour Lesson Learned

No way we would have swapped the canal boat tour for the subway ride.

The Canal Boat tour was a wonderful experience, and a very relaxing way to end a long day of sight seeing. The Tour takes about an hour opposed to maybe a 15 minute joint on the Subway. Understand the Subway ride is only one station, maybe lasting all of 5 minutes.

The Canal Boat tour gives you a completely different prospective of St Petersburg, seeing some of the things you saw on land, now from the waterways.

They also usually give you champagne and some chocolate to help you enjoy this wonderful part of the St Petersburg experience.

When we went a few years ago, the tour boat cruise wasn't a major part of most of the tour companies itineraries. But it was part of SPB and that is one of the main reasons why we used SPB Tours. With some other companies, you had to pay extra for things like these, not so much anymore.

My advice, do not miss the Canal Boat tour, it is simply wonderful.

Here are a few of my pixs of this experience for you to see for yourself

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe786.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster760.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster782.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe774.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster771.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Len

No way we would have swapped the canal boat tour for the subway ride.

The Canal Boat tour was a wonderful experience, and a very relaxing way to end a long day of sight seeing. The Tour takes about an hour opposed to maybe a 15 minute joint on the Subway. Understand the Subway ride is only one station, maybe lasting all of 5 minutes.

The Canal Boat tour gives you a completely different prospective of St Petersburg, seeing some of the things you saw on land, now from the waterways.

They also usually give you champagne and some chocolate to help you enjoy this wonderful part of the St Petersburg experience.

When we went a few years ago, the tour boat cruise wasn't a major part of most of the tour companies itineraries. But it was part of SPB and that is one of the main reasons why we used SPB Tours. With some other companies, you had to pay extra for things like these, not so much anymore.

My advice, do not miss the Canal Boat tour, it is simply wonderful.

Here are a few of my pixs of this experience for you to see for yourself

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe786.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster760.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster782.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe774.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster771.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Len

Those are great photos.

Seems like our tour was quite different. Our canal tour was first thing in the morning on day two of our Deluxe Tour. Almost everything we saw was a repeat of things seen on day one, just from a different perspective. We were offered no chocolate or champagne (which i did not expect). There were three SPb tour groups on our boat, and one of the guides from another group gave the narrated tour.

This just reinforces my recommendation that customers confirm exactly what they will be doing with their tour company to avoid disappointment and misunderstanding. As evidenced by previous posters, it is important to some, and not so much to others.

I'm sure the subway is massive. The photos of some areas are amazing to me, like the Hermatige, one could only see a fraction.

Hi all.

I am looking at booking a 2 day deluxe private tour for 6 next august 2013. I have been in touch with SPB. I am just wondering about the canal tour is it better to do it the first day or 2nd. And can any one make any suggestions on any changes to make on the two day itinerary on there website. We would like to spend a little more time at the hermitage.

Thanks in advance,

Kim:

Has anyone done any of the evening programs? If yes were they good, bad, indifferent?

We did a fabulous 2 day tour with TJ Travels. We went to the ballet in the evening and LOVED it. It was 2.5 hours with 2 intermissions. I only suggest it if you like ballet and a live orchestra.

Again we took the Spb deluxe tour and was amazed by the canal tour...even though it was a repeat of some of the sights we saw the day before, it was a totally different experience, sort of like the canals in Venice!! Members of our tour group were very impressed with this, and with Spb tours on a whole.

We did the canal boat tour in St. Petersburg through Anastasia. Loved this part of our visit and the unique angles to see and experience this historic city. It was a private tour with just the four of us and our wonderful guide. Very relaxing!!! One of the big pluses with the canal boat tour is that you can sit and relax. It helps "pace" your day during a long period that had so much walking, standing, etc. Below are a few of my photo examples for some of what you can see on such canal boat trips.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,065 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 81,074 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the canal boat, this is a view of an original palace built by Peter in St. Petersburg:

StPHousePeter.jpg

An example of the many buildings and bridges you will see on the canal boat tour in St. Petersburg.:

StPCanalSights.jpg

Another royal structure seen on the canal boat tour:

StPCanalRoyalBdg.jpg

An example of bridge details you will see on the canal tour:

StPBridgeDetail.jpg

StPCanalBrid2.jpg

On the canal boat in front of the Hermitage, here is a speed boat enjoying the water:

1A-StP-HermtBoat.jpg

It's illegal to take photos in the subway, of course you're not going to be thrown into jail but you might be asked not to do that by a policeman... (I am originally from Saint Petersburg and go back at least once a year)
We just got back two weeks ago. Our guide said no Flash photography (they were concerned that a flash at the wrong time could temporarily "blind" an operator or security guard. No flash, no problem. But it would make sense to ask before hand because the rules do change!

we did both the canal tour and the subway and while we enjoyed the canal tour, what I remember most was one of the guides hairy legs - that is what caught my interest. We had excellent seats, could hear and understand and see everything. Possibly I am slightly jaded from canal tours - we do them everywhere there is a canal and had done a Copenhagen canal tour on a drizzly day and it was just dh, a Danish family of 4 and an Italian couple on the boat - hard to top.

the subway, however, I loved. We visited 3 stations underground, made a transfer, rode in 2 different cars. Our guide explained that much of the "marble" is not, showed us an "unscientific" way to tell the difference - marble is cold, fake marble is not.

We take "train" tours everywhere we go - have done the Mt. Washington Cog Railroad 3 times, etc., and, of course, I've ridden the subway in NY forever. We used London's Tube and Copenhagen's Metro, S-Tog and train, but found the subway in St. Petersburg unique and super memorable.

we did both the canal tour and the subway and while we enjoyed the canal tour, what I remember most was one of the guides hairy legs - that is what caught my interest. We had excellent seats, could hear and understand and see everything. Possibly I am slightly jaded from canal tours - we do them everywhere there is a canal and had done a Copenhagen canal tour on a drizzly day and it was just dh, a Danish family of 4 and an Italian couple on the boat - hard to top.

the subway, however, I loved. We visited 3 stations underground, made a transfer, rode in 2 different cars. Our guide explained that much of the "marble" is not, showed us an "unscientific" way to tell the difference - marble is cold, fake marble is not.

We take "train" tours everywhere we go - have done the Mt. Washington Cog Railroad 3 times, etc., and, of course, I've ridden the subway in NY forever. We used London's Tube and Copenhagen's Metro, S-Tog and train, but found the subway in St. Petersburg unique and super memorable.

Hairy legs ... I had to chuckle :D

We recently spent two days in St Petersburg on SPb's Deluxe Tour. It was an amazing experience in every way ....... except one.

Upon returning to the ship on day two, we all realized we never got to ride on the subway. Not a huge deal, but very disappointing. It was never discussed by the guide, we experienced no traffic delays, we never dawdled at a stop, lingered over lunch or took extra shopping time.

I e-mailed my concern to Viktoria upon my return. ( 2 times). (I did receive an acknowledgement from the office that she would get back to me in the coming weeks.) It took almost three weeks, and another e-mail for her to reply with an explanation that the delay in communication was caused because it is their busy time. ( Hmmmmmm ..... before I spent my money I received replies within 24 hours.)

Anyway, there was an apology and an offer of a gift (for me, not the 10 other friends for whom I arranged the tour). She said there was just no reason for missing the subway, the guide had the tokens, we just didn't go.

So lesson learned, no matter which company you book with, no matter how stellar they are reported to be, go over your itinerary and expectations with your guide.

Missing the subway ride wasn't the end of the world (at least we didn't miss the entire port :eek:). We trusted that SPb would deliver the tour we confirmed, and were too tired to notice until it was too late. What was more disappointing was the lack of response from this top-rated company.

I like to read the section “Saving money on your cruise” and find some tips and advice quite educative, but I would hardly try to save taking or organizing a group tour in St. Petersburg. There is always a higher chance to be disappointed with anything when you are part of a group than if a guide is all yours. That is why we chose a smaller company and a private guide for ourselves and we were highly satisfied.

Your post still gives a feeling that you not only wanted to teach other travelers to double-check the itineraries, otherwise you would not have mentioned the name of the company you travelled with.

I can still "see" them. Thank goodness it wasn't our guide or who knows what else I might have missed, lol.

This inspires me to find my previous thread about books one might wish to reed preparing for a visit to the Baltics. There is definitely more to see than hairy legs.

I like to read the section “Saving money on your cruise” and find some tips and advice quite educative, but I would hardly try to save taking or organizing a group tour in St. Petersburg. There is always a higher chance to be disappointed with anything when you are part of a group than if a guide is all yours. That is why we chose a smaller company and a private guide for ourselves and we were highly satisfied.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this :confused:

This was a private tour. I traveled from the US with 10 of my friends. The tour was not arranged as a cost saving measure. The guide was "all ours".

Your post still gives a feeling that you not only wanted to teach other travelers to double-check the itineraries, otherwise you would not have mentioned the name of the company you travelled with.

Yes, i felt it was important for readers to know that we were disappointed with the customer service we received after the tour. No hidden agenda intended there at all. That's what theses boards are all about. :)

This inspires me to find my previous thread about books one might wish to reed preparing for a visit to the Baltics. There is definitely more to see than hairy legs.

Of course there is much more to see - my post was "tongue in cheek", that's why I put in the lol (laughing out loud, lots of laughs).

our guide was fabulous, and I heard and saw everything she mentioned and pointed out. But for me, the canal tour was only pleasantly enjoyable- that tour wasn't conducted by "our" guide - and I got distracted.

2-3 yrs ago, booked 2-day deluxe tour w/SPB, incl. private, custom canal tour, evening of Day 1. group of approx. 12 had our own boat + vodka, caviar, and chocolate, all arranged in advance w/ Victoria (Vika).

Vika also arranged for us to get into the Gold Room at the Hermitage. (this must be arranged in advance)- well worth the extra $$ to get in there!

everything we asked for, Vika delivered! stayed in touch w/her after our visit, which was in June-July. that Christmas, I happened to mention an item that I wished I had bought while in St. Petersburg, and Vika offered to get it for me and send to USA - which she did! and for far less than what I had seen and expected to pay for same/similar items while there.

have travelled extensively, cruises and land-based, taken many wonderful private tours in many diff. places. SPB Tours, and most especially, Vika's outstanding customer service ranks among the best of the best!

our experience was that Vika will do her best to arrange whatever you ask for. if one of her guides 'messed up' by not including the subway tour or other, most likely Vika has addressed the matter. I recommend SPB Tours without hesitation.

2-3 yrs ago, booked 2-day deluxe tour w/SPB, incl. private, custom canal tour, evening of Day 1. group of approx. 12 had our own boat + vodka, caviar, and chocolate, all arranged in advance w/ Victoria (Vika).

Vika also arranged for us to get into the Gold Room at the Hermitage. (this must be arranged in advance)- well worth the extra $$ to get in there!

everything we asked for, Vika delivered! stayed in touch w/her after our visit, which was in June-July. that Christmas, I happened to mention an item that I wished I had bought while in St. Petersburg, and Vika offered to get it for me and send to USA - which she did! and for far less than what I had seen and expected to pay for same/similar items while there.

have travelled extensively, cruises and land-based, taken many wonderful private tours in many diff. places. SPB Tours, and most especially, Vika's outstanding customer service ranks among the best of the best!

our experience was that Vika will do her best to arrange whatever you ask for. if one of her guides 'messed up' by not including the subway tour or other, most likely Vika has addressed the matter. I recommend SPB Tours without hesitation.

We had very similar experiences with Vika and SPB in St. Petersburg. She modified our tour as we requested without hesitation. On the fly in the middle of the first day she arranged for a driver for two of our group who wanted to stay in town for the evening. She had a driver who spoke excellent English accompany my sister and her friend and they had a wonderful time simply exploring the Nevsky Prospekt.

She is by far the best private operator we have encountered in our travels.

• 1 month later...

Just curious as to what is so special about the subway?

I understand about the need for flexibility when one is touring. We always DIY or use private tour companies. There has been occasion where we needed to alter plans (missed half of the Amalfi Coast last year due to huge traffic jams), but the tour guides/drivers have always kept us informed, or offered alternatives. We kept to a very brisk and time oriented schedule in SPb, completely driven by our guide (who was excellent); we met at the times directed

nd never requested extra breaks or mor tme at any stop. We never encountered traffic, or waited in lines, so I guess we'll never really know why.

In any case, the delayed response was most disappointing.

We can always keep the SPB subway on our "bucket list", but not sure we'll ever get back there since our list is very long :D !

Just curious as to what is so special about the subway?

Not a lot as far as we were concerned. Interesting to say we had seen it and ridden on a train, but the style of it reminded me of the old Barclays bank in Brighton before they modernised it and made it look like an airport check in. I believe the bank was built and designed in the 50s although it had an art deco look about it. I can't remember when the subway was built.

We went with SPB tours and enjoyed every minute of it. Our guide was great and we saw everything we thought we would see and probably more. Viktoria met us at the ship the first day and was charming.

One more thing, most people are so worried about Russia, taking photos, miserable customs officers, long queues. We found everyone to be most welcoming, even the customs officers were polite and ready to smile if you smiled at them. The only passengers who had to endure long queues at customs were the ones going on the Celebrity tour.

In the Hermitage and other places of interest we were really suprised at the relaxed attitude of the security personel.

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago we toured St. Petersburg with SPB. We scheduled a private tour as I had a 77 year old with me with some mobility problems. Viktoria was wonderful as was our guide, Helen. The pace was what we had asked for, we had early entrance to the Hermitage which is so important-no crowds, in fact hardly anyone there, and our guide was so open to our questions. I can't say enough about SPB. Without a doubt our best private tour and we take at least 4 cruises a year.

• 2 weeks later...
We are considering doing a private tour just for the two of us and have contact a number of companies. Can you share how you structured your day with TJ Travel, and where you went? What was the best thing about TJ Travel and where do they need to improve? Is it worth seeing the subway? We would use the private tour for a day in SPB--the Churches, shopping etc. Thanks so much!

The best thing about TJ tours - was the way they manouvred around the St Petersburg traffic. I swear it was done in almost a military fashion - while in the car in the busy parts of SPB, the tour guide was obviously in constant contact by phone with somebody , who appeared to be guiding them how to avoid jams in whatever area we happened to be in. It was fantastic. :p

It was a great 2 days - to be remembered for life.

Barry

Archived