Noro outbreak on glory

ChefSusan

They recently got a score of 100% for cleanliness..wow

Noro is brought onto a cruise ship from the outside. They are usually able to track an outbreak on a cruise ship to an outbreak in a port that the ship had visited.

And as for the source, likely brought on by someone who didn't have symptoms at embarkation. They come to the port via planes, van carriers, taxi's, rental cars............many sorces of potentially picking up the virus.

The main thing is keeping the hands away from the mouth.

I am sure today there will an outbreak today at a local grocery store or at a local fast food restaurant but no one will connect the dot because all the affected people are not contained together for several days. There will simply be many people stuck at home with an isolated case of the stomach bug.

We always bring purell with us, as soon as we get in cabin i clean the telephones, tv remote, door handles and if you use blowdryer that to. I also always use the sanitizer whenever i see it and wash my hands alot.

Alcohol based hand sanitizers will not kill noro, esp. on surfaces...

You need bleach.

Ugghhhh, Good Grief:( Hopefully they get the ship all sanitized and spiffy for the next group. That had to make for an AWFUL cruise. :(
Norovirus aside, this was actually a decent cruise. The weather was great - we had a beautiful (although hot) sailaway from NYC, a great sea day, nice weather in both Saint John and Halifax (best weather we've seen in Saint John in six visits), and yesterday the rain held off until late in the afternoon. I'll be posting a review sometime in the next couple of days when I've finished writing and uploaded photos. (DH and I have new cameras, so we had a lot of fun taking photos.)

Yesterday I was talking with two couples on the Serenity deck. Like us, the adults avoided the bug but the kids were hit. The first couple were frequent cruisers on their first Carnival cruise. They were among the folks who had never cruised on Carnival because of the "party reputation," but they really enjoyed their cruise despite the virus and said they'd be back on another Carnival cruise. The other couple was a first-time family that usually does a timeshare in Aruba. They had a good time, but the bug definitely put a damper on their enthusiasm for cruising.

Amy Giard I meant I use them to kill germs in general, I doing that and ship doing what it must with bleach is all I can hope for. But.....

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are effective and have been shown to reduce the rate of transmission in some settings. Better than nothing I say

Amy Giard I meant I use them to kill germs in general, I doing that and ship doing what it must with bleach is all I can hope for. But.....

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are effective and have been shown to reduce the rate of transmission in some settings. Better than nothing I say

Yes I agree better than nothing... alcohol based sanitizers will kill 40-50% of the Noro virus germs.. if they bumped the alcohol content up from 63% it would be MUCH more effective.

I got it a couple of years ago on the triumph. I was sick at dinner, but immediately took air______. It worked like a charm and I was all better the next morning. Wouldn't travel without the stuff no matter what the claims against it are

I got it a couple of years ago on the triumph. I was sick at dinner, but immediately took air______. It worked like a charm and I was all better the next morning. Wouldn't travel without the stuff no matter what the claims against it are

Immune systems are a tricky thing and a lot of it is

tied to state-of-mind. Did it work because of the

ingrediants or because of the placebo effect or

a combo of both????

Who cares, you felt better right? :)

If nothing else, you got some good vitimins.

Blah :(

This just makes me wonder how often people get on a ship knowing they are sick....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

On the last few cruises I didn't see any of those forms that asked if you had symptoms. I thought they were a waste of time as people would just lie.

On the last few cruises I didn't see any of those forms that asked if you had symptoms. I thought they were a waste of time as people would just lie.

Yes, I noticed those are gone as well.

I am thinking the last one we filled out was Sept 2011.....

FYI, I'm on the Glory right now and it looks like a slightly delayed departure. Muster drill at 5:10PM, and sail away shortly afterwards.

Boarding did begin at 1:30PM, and with the terminal literally maxed out with passengers at that time, that lead to a pretty hectic embarkation and ridiculous lineups at the buffet.

Actually one year the ship I went on had the noro just three cruises before my sailing I bought rubbing alcohol with me 91% think I do that from now on just to be on safer side.

Very suprised you got alcohol of that "proof" on this ship.

Maybe next cruise I will bring some Everclear 190 on to "kill the Noro"

No forms on our cruise, but the agent did ask us whether anyone had any Noro symptoms in the time leading up to the cruise.

We always bring purell with us, as soon as we get in cabin i clean the telephones, tv remote, door handles and if you use blowdryer that to. I also always use the sanitizer whenever i see it and wash my hands alot.

Why? Peace of mind? Your efforts are not worth the time because you do not have the right tools at your disposal.

We were also on this sailing and felt the Carnival staff worked hard to keep everything clean. The smell of bleach was quite evident when we returned from our day in Halifax. My family stopped taking food from the buffet that required guests to serve themselves. We stuck to the burritos, fish and chips, and the burgers. We also only used the bathroom in our stateroom. We were concerned that those infected (as well as their families) were not quarantined. My parents experienced an outbreak on a Princess ship and this was their protocol to help contain the virus. It stinks for those that aren't sick but it helps keep everyone else healthy. Every person I spoke to knew of someone who was sick. I would be interested to know the number of reported cases. Based on conversations I had, I think it is extremely large.

We got off the Glory on Monday and when we checked in, the clerk asked if anyone had been sick but who would say yes?

Archived