Please take the Punch out of the Brunch

nealstuber

Tomato soup with no grilled cheese sandwich?? That's just not right. What does it mean when you say "no formal breakfast"? Does that mean if you want breakfast earlier in the day there is not a venue serving breakfast? Or, is there a breakfast buffet somewhere else earlier in the morning?

Yes the buffet is open earlier, and also you can get burritos out by the lido pool. You could also get a room service snack breakfast early, then go for brunch a bit later. Don't worry, you won't starve!!! :)

No, other than the pasta restaurant (lunch) on deck 11, this is the only waiter/table service restaurant for breakfast and lunch on sea days. The MDR serves breakfast on port days. There is no lunch in the MDR on sea or port days, but plently of other options.

Bummer!!! :( I LOVE a nice, leisurely MDR breakfast and lunch on sea days.

This is a sit down brunch with a pretty decent menu served in the MDR. We had it during its very beginnings on the Miracle. Offered only on sea days. We liked the food and our service was pretty good. We were seated off on the side by the windows and the comedian was somewhere in the middle...we could not see him but we could hear him. The comedy starts on the hour, so fairly easy to avoid him/her by going at quarter after the hour.

As others have said, the comedy is a waste. You have this taped intro by George Lopez and the comedian is on from 5 to 10 minutes...really useless. And it interrupts any conversation you may be having.

As far as I know, for the ships that have 2 MDR's (Miracle only has one), they still have the regular breakfast and lunch in one, and the brunch in the other.

Ok, so it is a different menu than they had say a year ago in the MDR?

No lunch in the MDR on sea days on the Dream can anybody confirm this?

Your telling me I can get steak and eggs!!!

They don't serve lunch on sea days. The brunch is taking over for that.

I'll be on the Dream in a week. But it is before the conversion, so I won't be able to give any more details on the brunch.

Here is the new menu:

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/cruise-food/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/PunchlinerBrunchMenupdf.ashx

Maggie

No lunch in the MDR on sea days on the Dream can anybody confirm this?

Your telling me I can get steak and eggs!!!

Dream has 2 MDR's right? On the ships with 2 dining rooms, one does traditional breakfast and lunch while the other does the brunch on sea days...that is how I understand it. On the Miracle we only had one dining room.

Which are the ships that "offer" this delightful (not) brunch comedy routine? Hopefully not the Freedom, when we sail in 3 months.

We have always enjoyed a nice QUIET breakfast in the MDR and would miss that!

I wish I had the schedule of when they are adding it to each of the ships. But if it is offered when you're on the Freedom, you can still have a quiet breakfast...just arrive at quarter past the hour and you should miss the comedy if you're done in 45 minutes;)

I see someone already provided a link for the menu...it was really quite good! And many more options than the old menu.

Yes the buffet is open earlier, and also you can get burritos out by the lido pool. You could also get a room service snack breakfast early, then go for brunch a bit later. Don't worry, you won't starve!!! :)

Thanks! I'm glad to know I can still hit the buffet in the morning.

The comedian performs every hour, on the hour, for 10 minutes or so. So if you want a quiet brunch, just come in at HH:15, where HH is the hour. When the comedian's next performance time starts, you'll already have drank your coffee and eaten some food, which means you'll be more likely to enjoy the comedy. The catch is having to finish eating and leave the MDR within 45 minutes to avoid the comedian completely. But with your brain full of caffeine and your stomch full of food, it couild be OK.

Having said that, Comedy Brunch is a bad idea. This is Carnival we're dealing with. People in the morning will be sleepy and hung over, not smiley and peppy. The purpose of brunch is to have some greasy food, strong coffee, and maybe a bloody mary, to pick up enough energy to join the hairy chest contest on the Lido deck. Comedy just doesn't fit in here. I could see it more suited on Princess, Celebrity, or even HAL (with humor adjusted to fit the audience), but it just seems out of place on the Fun Ships.

Dream has 2 MDR's right? On the ships with 2 dining rooms, one does traditional breakfast and lunch while the other does the brunch on sea days...that is how I understand it. On the Miracle we only had one dining room.

Sorry, that is incorrect. The Magic has 2 dining rooms & the Southern Lights dining room was closed with a sign directing passengers to the Comedy Brunch. I inquired with the waiter, because I read the same thing here on CC (that on ships with 2 DR's there would be regulare service in one & brunch in the other) and the waiter said "That is not the case."

Guest LoveMyBoxer
How many times did you do this? Wondering if it was the venue or the comedian.

Oh it was definitely the comedian! REALLY bad! We had seen him the night before at the comedy club and we actually WALKED out along with others -- yes he WAS that bad! We didn't know he would be the one at the brunch! Thank goodness he only spoke for about 5 minutes.

Yeah, I really missed the normal lunch menu. I was looking forward to the Mongolian Steak Salad, Ravioli, etc. I realize there are many, many lunch options on the Magic, but it's hard to let go of the "usual", lol. Cucina del Capitano was a fabulous lunch option, as was the Oceanside BBQ.

There were some delicious items on the Punchliner Comedy Brunch Menu & some misses, as with any menu. I loved the Mac & Cheese with Bacon - it was incredible. The Mexican Churros were awesome, as well.

Yeah, I really missed the normal lunch menu. I was looking forward to the Mongolian Steak Salad, Ravioli, etc. I realize there are many, many lunch options on the Magic, but it's hard to let go of the "usual", lol. Cucina del Capitano was a fabulous lunch option, as was the Oceanside BBQ.

There were some delicious items on the Punchliner Comedy Brunch Menu & some misses, as with any menu. I loved the Mac & Cheese with Bacon - it was incredible. The Mexican Churros were awesome, as well.

Looking forward to trying this on the Dream nexzt month.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
The Mexican Churros were awesome, as well.

If you've had the real thing in Spain, these suck! They sell the same kind in the frozen section in our grocery store. Tried then once and threw them out!

DS had the French Toast covered in fruit loops since it sound good! Took one bite and left it, said it was horrible! Hubby asked for the steak and eggs. When it was delivered he had to "find" the steak -- it is tiny!

I was fine, ordered omellette and usual breakfast sides.

If you've had the real thing in Spain, these suck! They sell the same kind in the frozen section in our grocery store. Tried then once and threw them out!

I've had them in Mexico, although they were filled with cajeta, but at any rate, the ones we were served were warm and tasty. My son did comment that they were not like the ones we've had in the past, but I told him for "banquet" food, they were great.

Off topic - we have a boxer & I love your picture :D

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I've had them in Mexico, although they were filled with cajeta, but at any rate, the ones we were served were warm and tasty. My son did comment that they were not like the ones we've had in the past, but I told him for "banquet" food, they were great.

Off topic - we have a boxer & I love your picture :D

Thank you! :D

Used to having my churros with chocolate caliente! LOL

Archived