Please take the Punch out of the Brunch

nealstuber

But the comedian is only on for 10 minutes, so very easy to avoid him if needed.

I will disagree with you on the mac and cheese...not out of a box. Have seen the recipe for it...has a whole load of ingredients, including 8 or 10 different types of cheese in it. We had a choice of 3 meats to add to it, just as it states on the published menu:rolleyes:

I am also interested in this answer, as I was under the impression the other dining room served the traditional breakfast and lunch. We were on the Miracle and she only has one dining room, so I don't know how it works on the larger ships.

I think many people would be happier if they could get breakfast earlier...that seems to be a big issue. That is something they can change. Now trying to come up with a menu that will please everyone is next to impossible.

On the Breeze the brunch is in one MDR, and the other one is closed. If you want breakfast earlier than 9.00 or 9.30am, you can either get a burrito by the pool, go to the buffet, or get room service.

I agree with you Breenw! The menu is different from the old menu, sure. And some people like the old way. On another thread, people were talking about how they are tired of the old menus and want to know how soon they will change! There is no way to make everyone happy.

With all of the food options available, it is really hard for me to understand how the comedy brunch, with a really wide menu, could be considered a "deal breaker" and cause someone to leave Carnival. But this obviously is something that is a crucial part of the cruise experience for some, and if these changes don't meet their needs then I guess it is reasonable for them to look elsewhere.

Personally, the comedy brunch is not a "deal breaker" for me. However, I personally do not like the change.

Can you really not see why some people might not like this? I mean, if you enjoyed eating breakfast and then lunch, this menu is limiting. I agree that there is a lot of breakfast items. But I don't think there is much in the way of a "lunch." If you compare the menus (old lunch menu vs. new brunch menu), there were 7 lunch items on the old menu PLUS 2 entree salads and a soup. On the new brunch menu there are only 4 lunch items plus the tomato soup and caesar salad.

Unfortunately for me, I don't like any of the new lunch items on the brunch menu. I don't eat mac and cheese ever (not even at home). I don't like mushrooms, so the pasta is out. I don't eat salmon. And I might eat the chicken, but if it is spicy like stated, I won't like that. However, I know that I am somewhat picky, so I am willing to work with what there is. But on the old menu, I was able to find stuff I liked.

Also if you have 3 sea days on an itinerary, this menu will get boring really fast if you have to eat 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches from the same menu.

Yes, you don't HAVE to eat in the dining room because there are so many other options. But many people enjoy eating in the dining room on sea days. We usually did. But if we sail on a ship with this brunch in the future, we might do ONE breakfast in the main dining room and then do the Mongolian wok or pasta bar or burrito bar, etc. for lunches.

Maggie

Well for me, I'm just ready to cruise, and I'll try the brunch for lunch..HEE HEE...and if it sucks I won't go back, but I love something new and it sounds intriguing to me...I'm all for having a laugh..anytime, and the menu sounds good.... So see you at Brunch....

But the comedian is only on for 10 minutes, so very easy to avoid him if needed.

I will disagree with you on the mac and cheese...not out of a box. Have seen the recipe for it...has a whole load of ingredients, including 8 or 10 different types of cheese in it. We had a choice of 3 meats to add to it, just as it states on the published menu:rolleyes:

I am also interested in this answer, as I was under the impression the other dining room served the traditional breakfast and lunch. We were on the Miracle and she only has one dining room, so I don't know how it works on the larger ships.

I think many people would be happier if they could get breakfast earlier...that seems to be a big issue. That is something they can change. Now trying to come up with a menu that will please everyone is next to impossible.

I think the Dream class ships may be doing less on the brunch becasue they have so many extra options. The original intent of this thread was to voice discontent over the comics - nobody we encountered thought iwas a good idea - not even the comics.

Personally, the comedy brunch is not a "deal breaker" for me. However, I personally do not like the change.

Can you really not see why some people might not like this? I mean, if you enjoyed eating breakfast and then lunch, this menu is limiting...

Maggie

Oh, yes, Maggie, I definitely see how some people may not like this change, especially those who like an early breakfast. What I find surprising is that some would actually stop cruising Carnival over this. Personally, I don't think it is that big of an issue, but if an early breakfast in the MDR is that important, then people should do what works for them.

At any rate, and back to the OP's point, I agree that the comedy doesn't work. I wonder if this will be phased out at some point since it doesn't seem popular. Fortunately, the time we went, the comedy was very brief (under five minutes) so it wasn't too big of a deal.

Also if you have 3 sea days on an itinerary, this menu will get boring really fast if you have to eat 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches from the same menu.

Yes, you don't HAVE to eat in the dining room because there are so many other options. But many people enjoy eating in the dining room on sea days.

Maggie

Since we were late seating and DW was a late riser, all three sea days ended up like this:

7:30 Room service delivers coffee, juice and a couple of bread items. I brought a large "bubba mugga" end enjoyed a couple of hours on the cove with coffee while DW slept in.

10 DW joined me on the Cove for a wake up cup and a crossiont

11 or 12 Brunch (DW enjoyed being able to have breakfast this late and I enjoyed having lunch).

2 or 3 - Snack at the Deli, Seaside BBQ or Pizza

4 or 5 - Snack at the Deli or Pizza or room Service on the Cove

8:15 Dinner

We found the Punchliner Brunch concept to be loud, crass, and particularly unwelcome on our Miracle cruise--we just disembarked this morning.

It's like this: You walk in, and maybe like me, you prefer to eat your meals in the dining room because you prefer the calm ritual of service and presentation. So, you are greeted, seated at a table with linens and a menu is handed to you, you smile and murmur your thanks to the pleasant waiter who has poured your coffee, and suddenly, extremely loud recorded music comes on before you've even had your first sip of joe. George Lopez is V.O. ing something nonsensical (that is distorted by volume in any case),

and, if you are me and you've experienced this event once already, you pick yourself right up and leave until this loud, crass, and somewhat painful assault on your senses is over.

This punch-to-your-brunch happens every hour on the hour starting at 9:00 am (and lasts for a full ten minutes including the poor comedian-on-duty's same old tired humor about airlines and ships because that's kinda all one really knows about when they work on ships for a long time) after which you return from the nearby lounge, all the while hoping that your coffee hasn't cooled too much, and wondering just who thought this was a good idea??

Hmm, I'm not sure how this is a "cut" seeing as how they are serving lunch in the MDR on sea days. If they stop serving entirely, then I suppose we can all complain about the cut, but as of now, they are still providing a full service lunch in the dining room. Or, at least they were on our cruise. I don't know if they have cut lunch on other ships.

On our recent Breeze cruise, we had 3 sea days. The Sapphire dining room was open all three of those days from 9:00am to 1:30pm. The menu included a wide selection of breakfast items. But if you aren't into breakfast, you could order soup, salad, filet mignon (steak 'n eggs), pasta, fish, or chicken.

We actually really liked it. The service we received was good too. Not slow. However, I definitely agree with the consensus here that Carnival could ditch the comedy bit. It was pretty lame on the day we went. On the other hand, it was very brief, I'd say under 5 minutes, so it wasn't too intrusive. Just a brief interruption. By the way, someone mentioned dancing waiters -- we never saw that at any of our meals on the Breeze.

Yes, they definitely only do family stuff.

Carnival used to serve....breakfast AND lunch separately .....

now they just serve one....

We would go to breakfast at 8AM and then lunch at noon....

looks like a cut to me.

While folks on the larger ships that have the Italian restaurant have another option.....that is only a few ships....

ships like the Fantasy class do not have any other "nicer" dining options for lunch on sea days....

Conquest class has "fish and chips"....but if you are like me and do not eat fish..... you are out of luck....

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Carnival used to serve....breakfast AND lunch separately .....

now they just serve one....

We would go to breakfast at 8AM and then lunch at noon....

looks like a cut to me.

Not arguing with you, but you now can have breakfast at 9 and then lunch anytime before 1:30, so that is not a cut, in my opinion. However, as I have stated earlier, the service has horrible on the Miracle and the so called comedy was bad! I don't think we would ever do it again.

Not arguing with you, but you now can have breakfast at 9 and then lunch anytime before 1:30, so that is not a cut, in my opinion. However, as I have stated earlier, the service has horrible on the Miracle and the so called comedy was bad! I don't think we would ever do it again.

People do eat breakfast and lunch four hours apart... even in school or work..

It is definetly a cut... choices are limited too.

Thinking it is not a cut. Still have the opportunity to eatin the DR say 4 hours apart with a nice assortment of offerings.

Do think the comedy is a ridiculous idea and not looking forward to hear a tape of George Lopez over and over again

People do eat breakfast and lunch four hours apart... even in school or work..

It is definetly a cut... choices are limited too.

lol. i've never heard of people eating two brunches. even the start time disuades one from eating twice.

Just found out that gf wants to go on a family event cruise on fascinating out if jacjsonville. I was looking forward to breakfast in the dining room.

Supposed to be fleetwide - but its only on Sea Days and they do still most all of the breakfst food.

I don't see it as a cut, I see it as a change. It's a change I'm looking forward too.

I see new and exciting menu options, and I see entertainment during breakfast. Don't want to listen to the comedian? Go at 9:10 instead of 9:00. I see breakfast foods, so you can still have your MDR breakfast. I see some lunch offering, so you can have a lunch too.

Sadly both times are to late for me to eat either meal.....

plus it depends on the lines you have to stand in to get in a second time???

Given the total food consumed is probably going to be the same dont see how this will really save Carnival any money.

Comedian presumably will be paid a bit more to do his 5 minutes so overall think it will be an extra cost.

They can use the savings from taking away the farewell party and more than cover this.

The "cut" for us is we don't do breakfast buffet. We like to eat breakfast much earlier than 9 AM when brunch starts.

Starting off a sea day having an early relaxing breakfast in the dining room is something we look forward too.

If this brunch concept goes fleet wide we will avoid the Spirit class ships and if Carnival doesn't change and offer a traditional breakfast in the 2nd dining room for the other ships, we will cruise elsewhere.

Like a few others have said, this is a deal breaker.

I agree! We are early risers and look forward to a nice relaxing breakfast in the MDR instead of having to fight the crowds at the buffet. I will certainly miss having the breakfast in the MDR as an option on sea days. I guess room service will be getting a lot of business from us!

We found the Punchliner Brunch concept to be loud, crass, and particularly unwelcome on our Miracle cruise--we just disembarked this morning.

It's like this: You walk in, and maybe like me, you prefer to eat your meals in the dining room because you prefer the calm ritual of service and presentation. So, you are greeted, seated at a table with linens and a menu is handed to you, you smile and murmur your thanks to the pleasant waiter who has poured your coffee, and suddenly, extremely loud recorded music comes on before you've even had your first sip of joe. George Lopez is V.O. ing something nonsensical (that is distorted by volume in any case),

and, if you are me and you've experienced this event once already, you pick yourself right up and leave until this loud, crass, and somewhat painful assault on your senses is over.

This punch-to-your-brunch happens every hour on the hour starting at 9:00 am (and lasts for a full ten minutes including the poor comedian-on-duty's same old tired humor about airlines and ships because that's kinda all one really knows about when they work on ships for a long time) after which you return from the nearby lounge, all the while hoping that your coffee hasn't cooled too much, and wondering just who thought this was a good idea??

Mermaid...

How was the Miracle otherwise?? We'll be onboard in October...

Archived