Please take the Punch out of the Brunch

nealstuber

Back from our Magic Cruise - we loved it and will be posting a great review soon, but had one more thing to get off my chest: COMICS DO NOT BELONG AT BRUNCH.

First of - DW preffers breakfast food, I preffer lunch food. Both of us like lunch at the MDR on Sea days but neither of us likes getting out of our swim suits to go down to the MDR in the middle of the day so Brunch is a good deal for us.

On Magic they did not have a formal breakfast in the moring on sea days but all of the breakfast items were on the Brunch menu. No formal lunch in the MDR at all but there was the Italian resturaunt which is a significant upgrade from what RCCL was doing in the MDR for lunch at sea the last time we cruised with them.

Just two issues:

1) Very limited lunch options - the tomato soup is so good it screams "SANDWICH" but non are available.

2) The only time the Comics got a laugh out of was when they made self deprecating jokes about the concept: "Really sorry to bug you folks this early in the morning but this is what they pay me for - IT's FUN TIME!" and the canned George Lopez intros were just creepy.

We loved the comics in the lounge and they lounges were always packed. NOBODY thought the comics in the morning were a good idea - saw one guy banging his head on the table it was so bad.

I know I am not sailing any ship that offers it. We prefer breakfast and lunch in the MDR. I dont want some chucklehead doing his routine while I eat. Not even for a few minutes.

I hope it does not go fleet wide as I would like to sail Carnival again. My last 2 cruises with them were pretty good but the comedy brunch thing is a deal killer for me.

Back from our Magic Cruise - we loved it and will be posting a great review soon, but had one more thing to get off my chest: COMICS DO NOT BELONG AT BRUNCH.

First of - DW preffers breakfast food, I preffer lunch food. Both of us like lunch at the MDR on Sea days but neither of us likes getting out of our swim suits to go down to the MDR in the middle of the day so Brunch is a good deal for us.

On Magic they did not have a formal breakfast in the moring on sea days but all of the breakfast items were on the Brunch menu. No formal lunch in the MDR at all but there was the Italian resturaunt which is a significant upgrade from what RCCL was doing in the MDR for lunch at sea the last time we cruised with them.

Just two issues:

1) Very limited lunch options - the tomato soup is so good it screams "SANDWICH" but non are available.

2) The only time the Comics got a laugh out of was when they made self deprecating jokes about the concept: "Really sorry to bug you folks this early in the morning but this is what they pay me for - IT's FUN TIME!" and the canned George Lopez intros were just creepy.

We loved the comics in the lounge and they lounges were always packed. NOBODY thought the comics in the morning were a good idea - saw one guy banging his head on the table it was so bad.

it even sounded like a bad idea on "paper". the comedians aren't even funny at night any more! someone told them blue was funny, only blue doesn't MAKE it funny.

but to lose one service meal over it? and who needs or likes noise in the morning. iust what i want is sam kinison with my corn flake.

i hope carnival has not gotten rid of the drawing board. they need a fresh set of markers.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Just did this on the Miracle in July and only because we wanted our "free" drink. Agree with you 100%, the comedian was HORRIBLE! Service was really so so also.

Just did this on the Miracle in July and only because we wanted our "free" drink. Agree with you 100%, the comedian was HORRIBLE! Service was really so so also.

How many times did you do this? Wondering if it was the venue or the comedian.

Just two issues:

no lunch or breakfast in the mdr.... now that is a cutback than I am sure many will not like. I don't eat there, I do the buffet for breakfast. But still, there are many that don't like the buffet and would not like not being able to go to the mdr... really??

And this guy banging his head?? sounds like a friend of mine... what did he look like if you don't mind my asking?? If it is my friend, he bangs his head at everything so no big deal really :D

I know I am not sailing any ship that offers it. We prefer breakfast and lunch in the MDR. I dont want some chucklehead doing his routine while I eat. Not even for a few minutes.

I hope it does not go fleet wide as I would like to sail Carnival again. My last 2 cruises with them were pretty good but the comedy brunch thing is a deal killer for me.

My sentiment exactly.

Not sure if it will matter to us. Thinking the comedian will be out of sight and kind of a waste and will just enjoy whatever they serve.

Do believe that early they will have their normal breakfast menu.

I agree 100%! We were on the same cruise, and I was excited to try the Punchliner Comedy Brunch. That excitement quickly waned after our first visit. The comedy was just awkward and weird. The service was horrible, orders were delivered wrong, no drink refills in a timely manner. It was really bad....and I honestly went into it wanting to love it. We returned on our last sea day to use our drink coupons, and it was worse than the first visit. Same issues with incorrect orders and service was very, very bad. I hope they rethink this and bring back normal breakfast and lunch in the dining room. I just completed the survey Carnival emailed to me, and expressed my thoughts to them. I hope to post a review on our cruise later this week. Overall, we had a great time!

I am excited that Punchliners has a Brunch not for the comedian, trust me I not morning person and I won't even be noticing him/her so I not care whether they good or not. I will be attending the evening comedy though that I am looking forward to very much. But morning comedy to me be just a person that is talking as others doing that having their brunch surrounding me. I never make breakfast in the MDR they just close way too early for me about time I get up around 9:15 have my coffee and shower and dress the MDR is closed around 10:15...if I sleep a bit later I head up to the buffet breakfast well many times we just about missed that to that we just wait for lunch items to come out. Punchliners gives us an opportunity to have breakfast between 11-noon I like that alot.

What I can't stand is the dancing and singing of the servers in the MDR how lame I say....I wish they do away with that, reminds me of a Disney cruise entertain the kiddies.

I am confused, is it a "Brunch" or table service?

To me a Brunch is a small buffet of breakfast and lunch items.

Does the Comedian walk around the room or stand in one place? if in one place were it is, the up stairs by the piano or ?

Someone who has gone, please tell me more

Does the Comedian walk around the room or stand in one place? if in one place were it is, the up stairs by the piano or ?

This is a sit down brunch with a pretty decent menu served in the MDR. We had it during its very beginnings on the Miracle. Offered only on sea days. We liked the food and our service was pretty good. We were seated off on the side by the windows and the comedian was somewhere in the middle...we could not see him but we could hear him. The comedy starts on the hour, so fairly easy to avoid him/her by going at quarter after the hour.

As others have said, the comedy is a waste. You have this taped intro by George Lopez and the comedian is on from 5 to 10 minutes...really useless. And it interrupts any conversation you may be having.

As far as I know, for the ships that have 2 MDR's (Miracle only has one), they still have the regular breakfast and lunch in one, and the brunch in the other.

Had this on the Breeze. It is waiter/table service, with some 'breakfasty' items, and some 'lunchy' items. Eg. Eggs, toast, bacon, sausages,hash browns, cheesy porridge (grits??? I'm English, what do I know:)) steak (very good), corned beef hash etc. You also get a basket of pastries whilst you are waiting.

The comedian stands in one place, near the middle of the restaurant, and, TBH I could take or leave him, does not add anything to the experience IMO.

Service was a bit patchy, we did this twice, and both times the neighbouring table ordered after us, but was served before us.

No big deal, no rush, we were on holiday!:)

Had this on the Breeze. It is waiter/table service, with some 'breakfasty' items, and some 'lunchy' items. Eg. Eggs, toast, bacon, sausages,hash browns, cheesy porridge (grits??? I'm English, what do I know:)) steak (very good), corned beef hash etc. You also get a basket of pastries whilst you are waiting.

The comedian stands in one place, near the middle of the restaurant, and, TBH I could take or leave him, does not add anything to the experience IMO.

Service was a bit patchy, we did this twice, and both times the neighbouring table ordered after us, but was served before us.

No big deal, no rush, we were on holiday!:)

Higgib, did the other dining room on the Breeze offer traditional breakfast and lunch?

Tomato soup with no grilled cheese sandwich?? That's just not right. What does it mean when you say "no formal breakfast"? Does that mean if you want breakfast earlier in the day there is not a venue serving breakfast? Or, is there a breakfast buffet somewhere else earlier in the morning?

Higgib, did the other dining room on the Breeze offer traditional breakfast and lunch?

No, other than the pasta restaurant (lunch) on deck 11, this is the only waiter/table service restaurant for breakfast and lunch on sea days. The MDR serves breakfast on port days. There is no lunch in the MDR on sea or port days, but plently of other options.

Archived