Port of San Diego info needed.

sassy~one

I'm thinking about booking a cruise from SD CA. This would be my first time across the country.

Apx how far is the cruise port from the airport?

What is the best way to get from one to the other?

Cost?

IS traveling in on the same day going to work?

(looking at a 10:45 arrival from Norfolk on Southwest)

How about hotels with both type of transfers? (if needed)

Thanks everyone!

I am doing the research, believe me i am, but other thought are also welcome.

deb

a

I'm thinking about booking a cruise from SD CA. This would be my first time across the country.

Cost?

Thanks everyone!

deb

1. airport and cruise terminal very close--$7-10 taxi ride--2 miles

2. would not travel on same day as boarding--something could delay flights--fly in day before.

3.Holiday by the Bay right across from cruise terminal beautiful view roons

very good hotel--male sure it the Holiday is right across from the terminal as there are other Holiday Inns.--just walk across the street to get on the ship--or ask for a shuttle ride.

4. Go to the west coast departure cruise critic board for many San Diego threads ( see top of page click on boards scroll down until you find it).

BG

from San Diego

When you land and take off -- depending on what side of the plane you are on -- you can see the piers.

Coming across the country -- never would I fly in on the same day.

We have stayed many times pre and post cruise at the Embassy Suites - also close to the pier and airport.

Check here for more information:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=413

Apx how far is the cruise port from the airport? About 5 min cab ride. Very close by.

What is the best way to get from one to the other? Cab ride is going to run about $10.

Cost? $10 for a cab.

IS traveling in on the same day going to work? I really wouldn't do that. Fly in the day before. Then if there is any type of delay you can still make it to the ship on time.

How about hotels with both type of transfers? (if needed) There are hotels literally across the street and down the block from the pier.

Thanks everyone!

deb

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/san-diego/sanem/hoteldetail

Holiday Inn San Diego - On the Bay is literally across the street from the pier for the cruise ships. Good restaurant at the hotel too, but within walking distance of many others.

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/embassy-suites-san-diego-bay-downtown-SANDNES/index.html

Embassy Suites - San Diego about 2 blocks further down. Pricing about the same as Holiday Inn. We like this hotel better and it includes a free full breakfast.

There are many hotels in the area. It's great to be right by the water and much you can walk to or take a pedi-cab.

As one Deb to another, traveling across county on the day of departure is very risky.

Also (I am probably starting a firestrom with this comment) San Diego immigation is notorious for screwing up cruise passengers departure plans after your cruise. There is apparently no rhyme or reason for it but sometimes the immigation authorities keep everyone on the ship from leaving after the cruise until they determine that everyone is cleared. It is problematic if you are trying to catch a flight east before noon. I have heard tales of people missing 11:00 flights and you can almost walk or swim from the cruise terminal to the airport. I am sure others have opinions on this. Book later the day of arrival or spend the day in San Diego after your cruise and get an early flight the following day. Just the same advice I would give my kids.

Depending on the time of year, coming in at 10:45 the day of the cruise is doable. Like Clint Eastwood says, "Do you feel lucky"? Winter time, coming from the east coast is taking quite a chance. We come into San Diego, from Phoenix and if we sit on the left side (facing the cockpit), you can almost see into some of the hotel rooms and you can see all the ships in port. Cabs are resonably priced and plentiful. In December it cost us $21, roundtrip, including tip.

You will love sailing out of San Diego because it is so easy! We have sailed out of San Diego many times. You can actually see the cruise pier from the airport (and vice versa). Taxi is about $10 one way and about 15 minutes depending on the time of day. Personally, I would never fly into a port city on the day of sailing. I remember once, several years ago, when an airline's computer system (airline to remain nameless) and very few of their flights flew anywhere in the country despite the good weather. We always stay at Holiday Inn By The Bay, just across the street from the cruise pier. If you book a room in the South Tower, on the bay side, you will be able to see the early AM arrival of your ship (as well as other ships). And the Navy base is straight across the bay so you can see all their flight and sea activity, too. Re: Se4deb's comments -- Customs and Immigration's activities can delay debarkation anywhere. We were ready to debark in Ft. Lauderdale once when HAL repeatedly paged a certain large family group to immediately check with the ship's front desk. The family members did not do so, preferring to have their breakfast first. Much later, and many pages later, the family was finally located in the Lido Buffet and we were finally allowed to debark the ship at 10:30. All passengers paperwork must be reviewed prior to debarking according to Customs and Immigration regulations. Moral to these stories is always leave extra time to deal with the unpredictable.

Happy cruising!

---- Penny

Easy port to sail out of. In addition to what the others have said, let me add Hampton Inn, located just behind Holiday Inn. It has a free shuttle from airport and to the ship. Prices a bit cheaper than Holiday Inn plus you get a free, good breakfast.

Only negative is the train that runs right behind the hotel, so be sure to ask for a front facing run (the train stops running at about 11 PM).

DaveOKC

I live in San Diego and have cruised out of San Diego on HAL twice. Talk about convenient!!!

Despite what a few people say, cruising out of San Diego is very easy and immigration policies will not have undue effects on ship departures. The airport, downtown hotels and cruise port are so close that one could walk from one to the other.

Flying westward across the USA on departure day is doable as you get a big bonus from the time zones, but things still could go wrong. The San Diego downtown marina district (adjacent to the pier) is very nice and I recommend that you stay here for one night prior to the cruise. Think of it as an extra port stop in a very nice city.

igraf

Cost?

Thanks everyone!

deb

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SmartDeals-g60750-San_Diego_California-Hotel-Deals.html

Trip advisor shows lots of hotels and ratings. There are so many hotels in the area, I'm sure you will find one that will fit your budget and be conveniently located too.

Sounds like you got a phenomenal deal on your cruise. Congrats.

It is doable flying into SD in the morning to take your cruise in the afternoon. Many people do just that but if it's the time of year when SD gets fog, you could have issues. The airport couldn't be any closer, there almost on top of each other. Its a great port to sail out of. Good luck whatever you decided to do.

Thank you again Everyone. The holiday inn is way to pricey for me! Heck the 14 night cruise is 899. I'm unable to pay 219 for one night in a hotel.

I will check out the Hampton Inn. Thanks so much.

debbie

Have you considered Priceline or Hotwire? When we cruised out of SD the HolidayInn wanted around $200.00 per night. Using Priceline we stayed at a 4 star downtown hotel for $70.00 per night. I did the math. Good luck.

Depending on the time of year, coming in at 10:45 the day of the cruise is doable.

Please, I beg of you, arrive one day early.

There have been too many people left behind, or nearly missing the ship, because they thought it would be ok to fly in the day of sailing. People from Canada (in the winter !!), people from New York, Chicago, even just up the coast in Seattle have tried to fly in the same day of sailing. No flight is exempt from delays. It happens. Often.

If you miss the ship you'll have to get a hotel room for at least a night and decide if you want to fly to meet the ship in the first port of call. If you decide to go home, you'll need a hotel room and a revised flight ticket to get you there.

All of the above is at your expense.

We won't even talk about a refund on your cruise fare.

Please, fly in a day ahead, relax and enjoy San Diego.

Like everyone said, they are close.

Don't fly in the same day... PLEASE. Too much can go wrong.

There was bumble bee in the cockpit so 44 F15s were scrambled to route the flight to Boise ID or something might happen.

S D has plenty of sights to see, get in a day or two early to see the sights and to avoid any problems with the flight.

Derek

Archived