Annual Travel Insurance

Hi there,

We are now travelling a bit more & have been looking at annual travel insurance. So far all the policies that we've found state 'travel as often as you like within a 12 mth period as long as each trip is no longer than 38 days'!

Next year we plan to be away for 2 months.....does anyone have any advice?

Cheers,

G&G :):cool:

I saw that QBE had coverage for up to 60 days and I think that Medibank have a choice of covers (30 - 60 days).

Hmmmmm.....got a quote from Travel Insurance Direct $390 but only covered up to 38 days :( Just got a quote from QBE $807 for up to 60 days & Medibank Pvt $977 for up to 60 days :eek::eek:

Maybe we'll just have to rely on our credit card coverage??

Cheers,

Hmmmmm.....got a quote from Travel Insurance Direct $390 but only covered up to 38 days :( Just got a quote from QBE $807 for up to 60 days & Medibank Pvt $977 for up to 60 days :eek::eek:

Maybe we'll just have to rely on our credit card coverage??

Cheers,

The Visa card travel insurance period was extended last year. I'm not sure how long it covers now, but it is a few months. We have had a substantial claim (and our son an even larger one) on the 'free' Visa card travel insurance and they were paid without a problem.:)

I've found the best annual policy for my business partner and myself (pre existing medical) was through covermore. Max trip time 60 days.

They sell it online but if you buy it through a TA you get extra coverage and better policy.

I have a heart condition and when I compared policies earlier this year they came back with the best deal $200 extra for unlimited medical worldwide.

Hmmmmm.....got a quote from Travel Insurance Direct $390 but only covered up to 38 days :( Just got a quote from QBE $807 for up to 60 days & Medibank Pvt $977 for up to 60 days

Just had a quick look (our annual one is for a shorter time) - my they really ramp up the costs for those extra days. :( (and some add quite a surcharge for over 60 - well, we're only just :))

Hope you find something.

GHDPeter - is the 60 days covered in your insurance for business or leisure travel? Some companies have 37 -38 day leisure but up to 60 or even 90 for business.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Hi Aussieflyer, the 60 days is for leisure. I do it through my TA.

The annual policy covers us for any trip more than 250km away from home so it's quite easy just to take off for a few short breaks and know we are covered as well as being covered for a couple of longer trips during the year.

If we have no immediate travel planned around the expiry date we just renew it when we plan something.

My TA reminds us and takes care of all the paperwork so it's really easy. The Policy from the TA has higher coverage.

1Cover has an annual policy for trips up to 90 days - only for people aged below 60 though

For 2 adults under 60 worldwide cover = $499.00

That'll let us out then :( But from memory our policy through Medibank Private was only about that amount but not for 90 days.

We had QBE last time and it was a lot more expensive this time.

1Cover has an annual policy for trips up to 90 days - only for people aged below 60 though

For 2 adults under 60 worldwide cover = $499.00

Thanks boeckli,

After much research this certainly seems the best deal.

Not keen to rely on credit card insurance only this time as the fine print states that everything has to be paid using cc & we booked an appt in Paris & another in Rome where they wanted to be paid in cash on arrival!

Cheers,

Gaye are you sure that you have to pay all your travel costs on your card??? Ours with NAB states that we have to pay for 60% of the total.

And I can also say that when we had to use it last year they paid up v v quickly.

Gaye are you sure that you have to pay all your travel costs on your card??? Ours with NAB states that we have to pay for 60% of the total.

And I can also say that when we had to use it last year they paid up v v quickly.

The rules are different with different bank credit cards. Using our ANZ Visa card, we have to pay at least $250 of the total trip cost on the card to get the free insurance. :)I think there is another bank where all the costs have to be paid on the card. Shop around.:)

• 3 weeks later...

The rules are different with different bank credit cards. Using our ANZ Visa card, we have to pay at least $250 of the total trip cost on the card to get the free insurance. :)I think there is another bank where all the costs have to be paid on the card. Shop around.:)

Thanks for that advice....have now investigated further & seems we will be covered by our Westpac Platinum credit card :D:D

Below is the email I sent to Zurich who underwrite the insurance for Westpac...

I have Westpac Platinum credit card & would like to know if the return flight is purchased 100% on the credit card is all other travel between when leaving Australia till when we return covered? The policy states:

“journey” means after the purchase of your return overseas

travel tickets by use of the cardholder’s eligible credit card

account the journey starts;

on the departure date (from Australia) shown on the return

overseas travel ticket; or

once you leave your home, if you travel directly from your

home in Australia to the Australian air or sea terminal that is

the departure point for your trip.

The journey ends when the first of the following occurs:

at midnight on the date when your scheduled transport (as

shown on your return overseas travel ticket) is due to arrive

in Australia; or

when you return to your home in Australia, provided you

travel directly there from the air or sea terminal where you

landed in Australia; or

six months after the date of departure shown on your return

overseas travel tickets; or

when you cancel your return overseas travel ticket.

My concern is that while I paid in full for flights from Aus to Copenhagen return with the credit card we are also doing a cruise from Copenhagen & another cruise in the Baltics & the deposit for both cruises was paid using another card. I have also booked accommodation in Paris & they will only accept cash payment in Euros....will my whole journey still be covered??

Reply:

Thank you for your enquiry. Once cardholders have become eligible for this insurance, they may take side trips to other areas of the world, provided these areas are not considered Do Not Travel zones by the Australian Government (smartraveller.com.au). These additional expenses are not required to be purchased through the use of your credit card, however you will be required to retain receipts in the case of a claim.

Cheers,

I know 1Cover does Den as it is worldwide cover.

Thanks, Hows the Family? Tracey is back in tassie on Tuesday for her usual yearly two week pilgrimage:D

I see you are on the Voyager Just before us! What type of cabin have you chosen?

We went for a promenade inside because they look pretty:cool:

We had a huge rear extended balcony on The Carnival Splendor in June but ended up not seeing enough of the ship but plenty of sea!

When you pay extra for a Balcony you want to utilize it so i cant see myself booking a balcony again unless I already know the ship inside out.

Den

• 1 year later...

Can I ask for those of you who select worldwide cover - what country do you put in re where you will be staying most? I have not worked out our travel plans for next year as yet but figure it might be a good idea to get an annual plan rather than indiv trip insurance? thanks. :)

Edited by SunnyinDubai

Can I ask for those of you who select worldwide cover - what country do you put in re where you will be staying most? I have not worked out our travel plans for next year as yet but figure it might be a good idea to get an annual plan rather than indiv trip insurance? thanks. :)

USA is usually the most expensive area for travel insurance. If you feel there is even the slightest chance you will travel there within the 12 month period of the insurance, you would need to put that down.

Do they have one for a 'worldwide' coverage?

Annual Policies cover you worldwide.

Travel Insurance Direct annual policy covers worldwide. :) I suppose we would only know how good they are when we have to make a claim. (Cross fingers) so far we haven't had to claim.:)

Edited by Aus Traveller