Nude Sun Bathing

The thread about the "horrific incident" in the solarium got me to thinking. Didn't RCI have ships sailing from US ports that provided a small area on top decks for those who wanted to do a little nude sun bathing? I cannot remember which cruise or ship, but I definitely remember a small top deck that offered this service, or if not a true service, an area cruisers made for themselves for nude sun bathing.

Most ships used have topless decks to some extent.

But like most other things, they have caved-in to the "political correctness"..

.....or a large number of nude sunbathers should have their bodies covered......Much like the nude beaches in the Caribbean........:eek::D

There are nude cruises if someone really needs them. Carnival used to have topless sundecks, but they were rarely used which is why they eliminated them. It had nothing to do with "political correctness". There were staff members that had to monitor the stairway to keep the underage boys away also.

Ships that once offered it, had many changes...adding water slides, adding other venues, etc. This really eliminated the ability to provide an area that was not available to public view.

There may have been the "prude" factor as well, but on European itineraries, it is not unusual and with so many ships now splitting time between the Caribbean and Europe (as well as everywhere else in the world) it was just easier to not have a designated area.

There is devious side to the Solarium story...Some are saying it was RCI's devious method to drive folks to the bars inside the ship....to drown out the image of what they had seen on deck.

I'm not sure if it was political correctness that got nude sunbathing decks closed down..or the fact that other pax were gouging their eyes out and the ships were being overrun by seeing eye dogs.:eek:

I believe that!!!:eek:

I remember when we cruised on Celebrity Millennium in 2003, there was a topless area on the far uppermost deck...because one of our tablemates at dinner found in and though it quite entertaining for some reason...I noted that many of the women on that cruise I would NOT want to see topless...Some of the folks on the regular pool deck in full bathing suits should have considered covering up more...

I remember when we cruised on Celebrity Millennium in 2003, there was a topless area on the far uppermost deck...because one of our tablemates at dinner found in and though it quite entertaining for some reason...I noted that many of the women on that cruise I would NOT want to see topless...Some of the folks on the regular pool deck in full bathing suits should have considered covering up more...

And the guys with the 50 inch beer guts are OK? :eek: Personally, I have no problem with anybody being covered by NOTHING, a burqa or anything in between. It is a free country and if one does not want to look, DON'T LOOK.

And the guys with the 50 inch beer guts are OK? :eek:

I wasn't making a distinction between sexes on the regular pool deck...lots of folks of both sexes who should cover up there...

BUT...since we were talking about the special "topless" decks, that part really only applies to the women because men sunbathe "topless" everywhere!!

So with all of this talk of nude sunbathing, I'm assuming that I won't have a problem cruising the ship in my RCCL bathrobe. :D

Hey, if they really think anything goes, then, yes, go right ahead. I'll participate in neither, but you go for it.:rolleyes:

I just read that original thread and I must say I don't see much of a problem with what happened, the solarium is 16 and older after all. I say good for her for having the confidence to do it. Besides, she was probably European or South American or French Canadian, their cultures have no problem with nudity.

Periodically, they will put up signs that say "St. Tropez" deck on the Majesty, indicating the topless deck (St. Tropez being famous for it's topless beaches).

Majesty gets a lot of locals who are used to the topless (or nude) beaches in Miami.

It used to be standard on most ships to have a topless deck. I don't really know why they did away with it. It seems kind of silly that you can leave from a port where topless beaches are common, and sail to islands where there are topless beaches, but can't be topless on the ship.

I just read that original thread and I must say I don't see much of a problem with what happened, the solarium is 16 and older after all. I say good for her for having the confidence to do it. Besides, she was probably European or South American or French Canadian, their cultures have no problem with nudity.

They do not keep children under 16 out of the Solarium, just out of the pool and hot tubs. I have seen children of all ages in and out all day. The only kids that ever get talked to by staff is when they are in the water. Otherwise, they dont' say a word.

So with all of this talk of nude sunbathing, I'm assuming that I won't have a problem cruising the ship in my RCCL bathrobe. :D

Oh thank you - I needed a laugh tonight!:D

I believe that some of the NCL ships still have a "freestyle deck" (clothing optional) - I remember a thread on the NCL board about nudity on the ship a few weeks ago, and some passengers reported this deck still exists on some of the NCL ships.

Sorry to disagree with you. but I am French Canadian and my culture DOES HAVE A PROBLEM WITH NUDITY! Where did you get that silly information??? Anyway, you do not seem to know much about French Canadian culture, so maybe better not to say anything!!!

Archived