NYC and Gem......train question

sandi1967

HI,

We are booked on the Gem for next June 15th. We are thinking about taking amtrak from DE to NYC...........does anyone know about a cost of a taxi from train station to the port? Not sure how far it is........has anyone done this before.

Thanks!

Sandi

where does the amtrak leave you? Penn Station correct? if yes you shouldnt take a taxi cuz it will be alot! instead take the a train uptown to 42nd street and walk to the port its 2 blocks from the train station and its 2.50cents per person for the train so roundtrip it would be 5 dollars for u

We took a cab from Grand Central to the Pier. We usually walk ( a little over half an hour) but it was very hot and humid this year. The cost was a little under $8.00. Penn Station to Grand Central is about $7.00. So add a $2.00 tip or so and it would cost around $17.00 - a little more if you have a lot of luggage etc. I think it depends on how many people and for us at least how hot it was as to subway or cab. Enjoy your trip.

HI,

We are booked on the Gem for next June 15th. We are thinking about taking amtrak from DE to NYC...........does anyone know about a cost of a taxi from train station to the port? Not sure how far it is........has anyone done this before.

Thanks!

Sandi

In the neighborhood of $10-$15 would be my best guess.

I've always taken a cab from NY Penn Station to the pier, and have never gone the same route twice due to construction, traffic, unscrupulous taxi drivers - who knows? Anyway, the fare before tip has never been more than $12.

It's probably walkable, but I don't know good walking directions. I'd settle for a way of getting from track level to street level without taking stairs or escalators. I can never find an elevator when I need one. Thank goodness for Red Caps.

The only way I could recommend taking the subway is if you are travelling very light and don't have a big group (especially children) with you. As another poster stated, rush hours on the subway are typically crowded beyond belief and your group and all the luggage will have a hard time. That being said, the subway would be somewhat cheaper...but only if there aren't more than two of you. If you choose to take the subway, look for the #1, 2, or 3 train from Penn station and go uptown one stop to 42nd street. Then walk west until you get to the river and the pier.

I'd recommend a cab though....and keep in mind that only four people can fit in a cab unless it's a minivan cab. Have a great cruise!:)

We take Amtrak from Connecticut on several occasions for our cruise's. Matter of fact, we're on the Star 9-9-12. We'll be arriving in Penn Station about 9:50AM. A cab with tip sets us back $20.00. Our we being to generous?

Paul

Thank you for posting this link. It will come in very handy for estimating charges in the different cities.

We take Amtrak from Connecticut on several occasions for our cruise's. Matter of fact, we're on the Star 9-9-12. We'll be arriving in Penn Station about 9:50AM. A cab with tip sets us back $20.00. Our we being to generous?

Paul

It should only cost about $12 at today's fare levels (see my post above about the fare increase)...about $10 fare and $2 tip. In a bit of traffic it would be more.

IMHO the train idea is much easier because you have the chance of rush hour traffic by car and that can be a pain in the butt especially downtown i lived in ny all my life. Walking is also an option its about ten blocks and its free ! but if you take the train u can take the 1,2,3,A,C,E all from penn station but usualy the A is the easiest and fastest! But their also right it does depend on how many people are going with you?

With today's rates it is about $11 or so plus tips.

I usually tip 20% if I have bags. You could tip more if you have a lot of stuff, but you don't really have to.

I wouldn't take the subway to the pier and I take it to work every day! It isn't worth it with baggage.

You won't be there at Rush Hour unless you want to get to the pier before 9am but still, there will be lots of stairs to carry your bags up and then a long walk from the 42nd and 8th Ave station over to the pier.

Not the way to start your vacation in my opinion.

Even if there was terrible rush hour traffic, the trip wouldn't take more than 20 minutes and wouldn't cost more than $15. There is no way I'd take the subway in this situation- you'd literally be dealing with transfers up and down steps, walking, etc to save $5 or 6. Totally NOT worth the aggravation.

Archived